No announcement yet.

Asgard uber beams a mistake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I liked the idea of "revenge" after all it would be Asgard tech against Asgard tech. Would be nice to see the rogue critters, begin diplomatic talks with them, help them with their genetic problem.

sigpic

Comment

huh, the atlantis expedition should find out some machines with wich the ancients were producing those drones! the city itself is like an F16, only few missiles but if those F16 have no where to reload its manufacturing its useles to have those planes after all...

Comment

Why did the Asgard not just hand over a ship or two rather than pimping out earths ships, the probably is a good reason i just haven't watched that episode in a while.

Comment

Our ships are basically Asgard ships. It's our hull and design with Asgard shields, Asgard weapons, Asgard Hyperdrive and Asgard core. And the interior of the Asgard ships aren't really designed to accomodate humans .

Comment

Um we don't have an Asgard core in all our ship. The rest I'll give you but their is also quite a bit of Goa'uld tech on our ships
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              Um we don't have an Asgard core in all our ship. The rest I'll give you but their is also quite a bit of Goa'uld tech on our ships
              Yeah I forgot it's only the Oddysey that has a Core

My mistake. Have some green

Comment

Originally posted by Lantien84 View Post
                Does anyone think the Asgard beam weapons have made Earth's ships waaay too powerful, say even to a rediculous extent? I've seen our ships taking out Auroras and Hives with only a few shots and everytime I see it I can help but think," Whaaaaat?!" Come on, the 304s are destroying ships dozens of times their size, even with uber beams it seams a bit much. Anybody else agree?
                It's not just the beams mind you, it's the absurd retro engineering going on, it's ALL the Asgard tech given on, it's about Atlantis being so easily accessed and played with, devoid of any mystery, no struggle to get even the most basic Lantean coffee machine working.

Simply put, anything that gives Earth too much power precisely destroys the balance, kills the interest and makes the show terribly boring.

And that's just one aspect of it of what is a glaring shortfall in style.
                The writers simply don't work hard enough, either because they simply can't come with a good vision, or because they simply decided not to, for various reasons.
                The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
                  It's not just the beams mind you, it's the absurd retro engineering going on, it's ALL the Asgard tech given on, it's about Atlantis being so easily accessed and played with, devoid of any mystery, no struggle to get even the most basic Lantean coffee machine working.

Simply put, anything that gives Earth too much power precisely destroys the balance, kills the interest and makes the show terribly boring.

And that's just one aspect of it of what is a glaring shortfall in style.
                  The writers simply don't work hard enough, either because they simply can't come with a good vision, or because they simply decided not to, for various reasons.
                  I blame lack of foresight/unwillingness to plan ahead for most of it. They think of the show as a series of self contained stories with any multi episodes arcs being largely added on extras they can chose to or not to include in the next script as oppossed to a continuous story told in a number of divided chapters or installments with an overall plot progression.

The effect this has is somebody comes up with this "super awesome weapon Earth gets to blow up all the badguys" for his exciting climax in episode X and then all the stories that come after it have to try and cope with its continued existence. Either that or they just try to push it under the rug and forget about it entirely, or it gets conveniently destroyed or rendered inoperable as a result of *technobabble* or the new badguys 1up it resetting the cycle. All of these things happened again and again in both series, all of them suck, and all of them come as a result of bad or no planning ahead.

I almost expect to turn it on one day to see them just taking the pro wrestling approach. Make something new really great when it's first introduced to get the audience excited but then have it just gradually start to suck more and more for no reason until it's eventually nothing special compared to what's around it anymore, even though nothing's really changed in the meantime aside from the audience getting bored and familiar with it.

Comment

I thought they were an excellent idea at the time, but now that the Ori aren't a threat anymore (most likely) it did leave them rather overpowered. And I agree about the increasing new weapons making the protagonists and then the antagonists too weak/powerful. It feels like throughout the shows, Earth has been either completely defenseless or completely unassailable. Tauri ships work fine with Asgard particle weapons for the storytelling but I'd like to see an enemy that is capable of going head to head with the latest 304's but still not be all but invulnerable to their offensive powers. - One reason I hoped the Daedalus Variations enemy will be reintroduced.
                    I agree with this. The Asgard transport beams are rather too convenient as well. As for planning ahead, film/Television is like any other business. You never have enough time or staff. It's especially hard when you never know if you will even be coming back to work the next year. That makes it pretty hard to plan long term.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
                      I blame lack of foresight/unwillingness to plan ahead for most of it. They think of the show as a series of self contained stories with any multi episodes arcs being largely added on extras they can chose to or not to include in the next script as oppossed to a continuous story told in a number of divided chapters or installments with an overall plot progression.

The effect this has is somebody comes up with this "super awesome weapon Earth gets to blow up all the badguys" for his exciting climax in episode X and then all the stories that come after it have to try and cope with its continued existence. Either that or they just try to push it under the rug and forget about it entirely, or it gets conveniently destroyed or rendered inoperable as a result of *technobabble* or the new badguys 1up it resetting the cycle. All of these things happened again and again in both series, all of them suck, and all of them come as a result of bad or no planning ahead.

I almost expect to turn it on one day to see them just taking the pro wrestling approach. Make something new really great when it's first introduced to get the audience excited but then have it just gradually start to suck more and more for no reason until it's eventually nothing special compared to what's around it anymore, even though nothing's really changed in the meantime aside from the audience getting bored and familiar with it.
                      Actually I do remember reading some years ago that at the beginning of Atlantis, they quite admitted not having thought the whole thing beyond season 1, at best.

That is what you get with quick and dirty milking.
                      Half lactose, half urine.
                      The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by atlantean84 View Post
                        the city itself is like an F16
                        What? It loses power under pressure and drops to the earth?
                        Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...

Comment

Working...
                        X