No announcement yet.

Asgard uber beams a mistake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How would you have ended the show? They couldnt have the ori just get bored and leave. One ship had already been destroyed and most of the galaxy had been conquered. Its not like it came out of nowhere, the asgard worked on it for a year, and there were several references to them being off working on something mysterious building up 2 it.

There was no way the arc would have ended without uber weapons. They already used the standard ancient uber weapon plot (sangral). The only other way the story could have gone is with a subversion, guerilla subplot which would a) take along time to build up to, and b) had been done the previous 8 seasons. Uber weapons were the logical goal, and as we saw in AoT, they wouldnt have made much of a difference if all the ships came for earth (outpost vs ori ships)

Comment

Originally posted by Raere View Post
      At the beginning of Enemies (5x01), an unknown ship appeared (they were in uncharted territory) and started attacking Anubis' super-mothership with what looked like something similar to Asgard beams. When the mothership started firing back, the ship used the Asgard-ish beams to blow up the shots before they impacted.
      ...that makes no sense at all. An energy beam shouldn't be able to blow up a ball of energy. If they're plasma... that's slightly different, but it still shouldn't work.
      Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
      Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
        ...that makes no sense at all. An energy beam shouldn't be able to blow up a ball of energy. If they're plasma... that's slightly different, but it still shouldn't work.
        That's what I was saying, but it looks like that's what happened in the scene. It was an insignificant scene several years ago, I don't think the writers had the Ori/Asgard beams in mind at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Lantien84 View Post
          Does anyone think the Asgard beam weapons have made Earth's ships waaay too powerful, say even to a rediculous extent? I've seen our ships taking out Auroras and Hives with only a few shots and everytime I see it I can help but think," Whaaaaat?!" Come on, the 304s are destroying ships dozens of times their size, even with uber beams it seams a bit much. Anybody else agree?
          yeah maybe they are to powerful but our 304 needed better weapons

EATG spoiler
          Spoiler:
          you will see that they are not unstopping

Comment

a plasma weapon would have little impact on a laser but anything would be disrupted/dispersed

Comment

I don't think they're a bad idea. I was a bit miffed when Stargate effectively became Star Trek, with humans having ships, shields, FTL and uber-powerful weapons, but the show has to evolve. After 10 years of being the runt of the intergalactic weapons litter, we got the best weapons out there [and all the other Asgard goodness]. Still, even those weapons can't stand up to 3 hives in a sneak attack. With weapons that powerful, enemies have to come with original strategies to destroy us first. That makes it more interesting. Besides, every time I see a beam, I think, "Cool beams of damage!"
              sigpic
              More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Yes.. if we didn't have the Asgard weapons, we wouldn't stund a chanche out there, so it wouldn't be interesting.
                Spoiler:
                APOLLONIUS OF TYANA
                (YEAR 0 - 100)
                "O thou Sun,
                send me as far over the earth
                as is my pleasure and thine,
                and may I make the acquaintance of good men,
                but never hear anything of bad ones,
                nor they of me."

sigpic

Comment

I think they are overpowered and not even cool to watch

Railguns and missiles weren't that powerful but made much cooler weapons. They should have improved those techs (e.g. faster/shielded/smart missiles, higher energy/faster firing railguns, asgard-tech-enhanced versions).

Maybe the SFX were just cheaper

Comment

Maybe railguns were the worst weapon of everything we've seen on Stargate? They're useless against shields and outmatched by Goa'uld energy weapons. Against the Wraith, maybe we stood a chance, but against enemies with shields... Useless.

Nukes are always fun, but as we've seen with the Wraith and the Ori both in space on their ships and the Priors on the ground, nukes aren't always effective.
                    sigpic
                    More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

well in "enemy at the gate"
                      Spoiler:
                      they are useless against the ZPM uberhive ship

Comment

I believe the story writers have been using the 'system fragility' card fairly well.

I mean...counting the number of times the Asgard beam/core went offline on the slightest nudge at Daedalus' rear bumper, one can safely assume that even though the beam itself is powerful, the carrier of the weapon is not.

So yeah, as long as this 'prone to failure at worst circumstances' weakness exist we wouldn't have any overpower problems.

Comment

Forget complaining about giving humans plasma beams, how about giving them drones? Drones pwn all.
                          sigpic
                          More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by SerpentGuard View Post
                            well in "enemy at the gate"
                            Spoiler:
                            they are useless against the ZPM uberhive ship
                            It's unfortunate that the beams are so overpowered that it takes a super ship to stand up to them. Would have been much better if the writers didn't rely on a formula of "protagonists are too weak so give them more powerful weapons, but now the antagonists are too weak so they need more powerful weapons," etc. It also would have been much easier for them not to have to come up with different retconned shortcomings (i.e. dropping shields to beam) in order to explain why the protagonists haven't utterly wrecked their enemies yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Infinatus View Post
                              It's unfortunate that the beams are so overpowered that it takes a super ship to stand up to them. Would have been much better if the writers didn't rely on a formula of "protagonists are too weak so give them more powerful weapons, but now the antagonists are too weak so they need more powerful weapons," etc. It also would have been much easier for them not to have to come up with different retconned shortcomings (i.e. dropping shields to beam) in order to explain why the protagonists haven't utterly wrecked their enemies yet.
                              Is that not how weapon creation is created in the “real” world? They have a big stick so we get a bigger one, then they see our stick is bigger so they need a bigger one.

The problem is that the energy beam weapons made the leap to a 5 ft stick when the wraith had a 3ft stick; and of course they were too star trek! Lol

The Tauri have become the caretakers of the MW a role handed to them by the Asgard, so they needed to be able to fulfil that role. That’s why Tauri vessels have the weapons.

sigpic

Comment

I thought they were an excellent idea at the time, but now that the Ori aren't a threat anymore (most likely) it did leave them rather overpowered. And I agree about the increasing new weapons making the protagonists and then the antagonists too weak/powerful. It feels like throughout the shows, Earth has been either completely defenseless or completely unassailable. Tauri ships work fine with Asgard particle weapons for the storytelling but I'd like to see an enemy that is capable of going head to head with the latest 304's but still not be all but invulnerable to their offensive powers. - One reason I hoped the Daedalus Variations enemy will be reintroduced.
                                Last edited by Infinite-Possibilities; 11 January 2009, 10:03 PM.
                                "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Working...
                                X