This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smog View Post
    not bad, "bad dreams" as in oh, it was just a dream, there wont be any lasting consequences from it and nobody remembers what happened (save usually one character, or usually, the audience).
    Oh, well yea, it's the way Stargate is. It certainly isn't going to change it's formula 13 years into the franchise.

Comment

The actors come and go, the characters get new hairstyles, the bad guys switch around la di da di da.

This show is the same as it was 5 years ago. The Episode descriptions have become mad libs

(The team or one of it's members//primitive culture//earth//atlantis) is threated by a (Disease//alien technology//alien entity//old friend//old enemy//spacial anomaly//former star trek actor//hole in the ground//comedian guest star) and must enlist the help of (guest star of the week// enemy turned ally//computer or AI//primitive culture//magical "phage" or "retrovirus"//ancient tech macguffin) to (defeat/hold back/cure/restore power to/rescue) said threat or threatened with the latest deus ex machina hammered together in the last 10 minutes of the episode.
      You pretty much didn't leave anything out of those options, did you?

1. (The team or one of it's members//primitive culture//earth//atlantis)

Who exactly is the story supposed to be about, if it's not allowed to be anyone from the cast?

2. (Disease//alien technology//alien entity//old friend//old enemy//spacial anomaly//former star trek actor//hole in the ground//comedian guest star)

Again, who or what else would they fight? And keep in mind that every "old enemy" was once a New enemy.

3. (guest star of the week// enemy turned ally//computer or AI//primitive culture//magical "phage" or "retrovirus"//ancient tech macguffin)

Once again the same question applies. The only problem here is that you throw in the "guest of the week" If you were complaining about it always being about the regular cast in #1 you can't turn around and say the same thing about a "new" face.

4. (defeat/hold back/cure/restore power to/rescue)

The only other option is to lose. Which is ironic considering they actually have lost on more than one occasion otherwise that "same cast every week" yoiu complained about wouldn't have changed as much as it has.
      || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by Myles View Post
        It's nearly unavoidable when using an episodic format, especially after it's been going for a few seasons.
        So then don't slave yourself to an episodic format.

If it produces 90% repetitive boring drek why use that method, cause it's easier?

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post

If it produces 90% repetitive boring drek why use that method, cause it's easier?
          Because it's not boring and it works, 10 years worth of SG-1 is evidence of that.

Comment

Also, if the characters changed then there would umpteen numbers of forum topics decrying how the PTBs ruined the show forever by taking away what made the characters good in the first place.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph.../RuinedFOREVER
            sigpic
            http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
              Because it's not boring and it works, 10 years worth of SG-1 is evidence of that.
              Agreed.
              Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
              "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
              Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

The actors come and go, the characters get new hairstyles, the bad guys switch around la di da di da.

This show is the same as it was 5 years ago. The Episode descriptions have become mad libs

(The team or one of it's members//primitive culture//earth//atlantis) is threated by a (Disease//alien technology//alien entity//old friend//old enemy//spacial anomaly//former star trek actor//hole in the ground//comedian guest star) and must enlist the help of (guest star of the week// enemy turned ally//computer or AI//primitive culture//magical "phage" or "retrovirus"//ancient tech macguffin) to (defeat/hold back/cure/restore power to/rescue) said threat or threatened with the latest deus ex machina hammered together in the last 10 minutes of the episode.

I know one shot episodes are kind of a thing with this series, but can we have something that lasts for more than one episode? a la the siege? Teyla's Kidnapping? Good storylines! More Please!

With Love,

Stargate Fan #223982
                Um what? We have plenty of what you complain we don't have on the show.
                Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Because otherwise (unless you're very, very lucky) you get cancelled before your time.
                  My Livejournal
                  I watched all of the first four seasons of SGA last May. Here are my newbie impressions.

Comment

So basically it is easier. I mean you could make a 10 year long show that didn't follow that formula for 90% of it's episodes to, there's no laws against it, it would just be a hell of a lot harder.

Longevity by itself isn't an argument for actual quality either. Unless you're prepared to tell me that Power Rangers is a better quality franchise than Stargate, BSG, the Sopranos and just about any other show you can name that isn't Law and Order.

Originally posted by miniglik View Post
                    Because otherwise (unless you're very, very lucky) you get cancelled before your time.
                    Unfortunately very true. I'm not sure even who I blame the most anymore. The execs or the audiences. There's good arguments for both really.

Comment

Originally posted by prye View Post
                      I agree, its predictable & you know everything is going to be ok at the end of the episode.
                      It is a television show, to an extent there's really no way around that. You know that there are going to be episodes after the one you're watching, so everything must turn out semi-okay. But TPTB don't always play it that safe. Think of all the cast changes.

Here here!!

I think the writers have been straying away from the format that was written out in the first posts. Much of season 4 was exploring different possibilities for story lines. Many of which weren't too bad, imho.

Shep 'Home' sig made by Luciana! (I made the rest.)

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by diane23 View Post
                        It is a television show, to an extent there's really no way around that. You know that there are going to be episodes after the one you're watching, so everything must turn out semi-okay. But TPTB don't always play it that safe. Think of all the cast changes.

Here here!!

I think the writers have been straying away from the format that was written out in the first posts. Much of season 4 was exploring different possibilities for story lines. Many of which weren't too bad, imho.
                        Agreed. Season 4, and to an extent the end of season three did a good job both setting up new story lines, while continuing old ones. And continuing those story lines into the future. Stargate is far from a stand alone only show.

Comment

One of the reasons I have remained a lurker, and not a poster, on these forums for the last few years is I was turned off by the rabid fanboyism displayed by some of these boards members. I of course do not want to single anyone out, but the whole "If you don't like it, stop watching" thing is unbelievably lame. That mentality is why the divorce rate, homless pet and other similar stats are consistantly on the rise. Why is it bad to want to see the things you love improve? I don't complain because I hate the show, I complain because the show is not living up to it's proven potential. It will take a lot for me to give up on this show. Of course, the supposed defects in the show are only my opinion, and I decided to attempt to contribute to this site by voicing my opinion.

Again, my "template" was half joking, I realize I basically put everything known to man in the options. My real problem is the fact that most episodes end in a montage that solves the previously unsolvable problem and the next episode everyone is back to square one. Characters die, but they just replace them with the same person with a new accent and or gender.

I will bow out of this discussion with a reiteration of my 2nd post

"When they do things like that, bringing up past events as a (cheap) plot device, it starts to feel less like a world and more like a show."

Ah screw it, bring on friday and season 6! WOOT!

Comment

One of the reasons I have remained a lurker, and not a poster, on these forums for the last few years is I was turned off by the rabid fanboyism displayed by some of these boards members. I of course do not want to single anyone out, but the whole "If you don't like it, stop watching" thing is unbelievably lame. That mentality is why the divorce rate, homless pet and other similar stats are consistantly on the rise. Why is it bad to want to see the things you love improve? I don't complain because I hate the show, I complain because the show is not living up to it's proven potential. It will take a lot for me to give up on this show. Of course, the supposed defects in the show are only my opinion, and I decided to attempt to contribute to this site by voicing my opinion.

Again, my "template" was half joking, I realize I basically put everything known to man in the options. My real problem is the fact that most episodes end in a montage that solves the previously unsolvable problem and the next episode everyone is back to square one. Characters die, but they just replace them with the same person with a new accent and or gender.

I will bow out of this discussion with a reiteration of my 2nd post

"When they do things like that, bringing up past events as a (cheap) plot device, it starts to feel less like a world and more like a show."

Ah screw it, bring on friday and season 6! WOOT!
                            Knowing that you might nor read this......
                            I do dare you to say that Woolsey is anything like Weir or Carter. Granted this is my own observations. Not insulting or anything. But I do feel that they are doing a great job with him.

Comment

So basically it is easier. I mean you could make a 10 year long show that didn't follow that formula for 90% of it's episodes to, there's no laws against it, it would just be a hell of a lot harder.
                              They found a formula that works, the audience loved it and wanted to see more. Maybe it would be harder to change the formula, maybe it wouldn't, but so what? Making something more difficult to produce doesn't necessarily make it better, doing something difficult for the sake of being difficult in this context is ridiculous, now if it makes it better and it's difficult then go for it, but who's to say it would? As for making a 10 year old show by not following a formula, could you? Really? How do you know that? There are reasons that people came back and watched SG-1 over and over again, and I'm sure the formula was one of them.

Comment

That is why 24 is such a good show you never know what is going to happen or who is going to die. Thier is only one character that is essentially safe.

Comment

Working...
                                X