This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
    People should follow the spoiler rules set forth by GateWorld. That's my opinion.

I like to read spoilers and sometimes I don't. It depends. At this point in SGA and SG-1, I don't really care anymore, but on other shows that are featured on GW, I do want people to follow the spoiler rules like they are supposed to.

Though I do wish people were better at labeling what is under their spoiler tag. If they know what specific episode/season it's for, they ought to say, rather than me have to guess if it's worth taking the chance and clicking, like if the conversation is being vague and then something is thrown under a tag.
    as you say, sometimes its hard to decide wether to open them up. as spoiler tags can be used to hide fun and games people have on the threads, i have clicked on one thinking its a continuation of the funny and it was actually a spoiler for s&r. so yes that would be helpfull IMO.
    sigpic
    banner by Pandoras-box

Comment

Originally posted by Jill_Ion View Post
      There are a few scenes, even super short ones, that would be huge spoilers. Such as who appeared in the last few minutes of Kindred II and who appeared in the first few minutes of Search & Rescue. These would be huge spoilers for anyone watching the show in syndication and on DVD.

I watch the show (currently) via iTunes, which does not include previews for the next week. So, as it is, I don't even know the name of the next ep, much less any story or person info.

{Jill snip}

There's my opinion. As long as it's what Briangate thinks.
      That's the way I prefer to watch Stargate. Maybe it was because I got into it by watching the DVD seasons of SG-1, but the show is much better for me if I don't know anything at all about the upcoming episode except that there will be one. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but even I can figure out a fair bit about what's going to happen from as little informartion as that, so I don't like to know anything about the next ep.

I guess I just like to be surprised, is all. And as miniglik said, it's just rude.
      It's a dangerous business going out your front door.
      --J.R.R. Tolkien

Comment

I usually try to avoid spoilers if it's possible.
        || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by Oka View Post
          I wish there weren't any spoilers for unreleased episodes at all. Spoilers is like cheating to me. It takes a way some of the fun when you watch the episode for the first time. I just don't understand why people have to know what happens before they actually see it happening.
          The spoilers are less now that TPTB have clamped down. For the longest time, many fans knew of where spoilers sprang from - sides. They kept it very low key. However, then a fan posted the link far and wide and it got out into the general fandom and spoilers spread like poison ivy.

I don't have a problem with spoilers. I only have a problem when fans do NOT use spoiler tags and/or common sense in posting those spoilers. sometimes, that common sense is VERy lacking

Comment

I've come to have a problem with spoilers since it literally ruined my enjoyment of S4. I came at the end of S2 and didn't really participate in any discussions for S3 until it aired so I was fine with surprises and slight spoilers. However, I was in the thick of it for S4 and even joined quite regularly in posting on JM's blog as well as here and even reading some sides.

By the time S4 rolled around I could not watch the shows very well. There was no excitement or urgency and in the shows I did watch there was a level of predictablitiy that I didn't even WANT to watch the ep let alone the show. It was something forced so I had to eventually stop.

I put that to a lack of interest (mainly because of Terminator being so much cooler) and secondly because I was ridiculously spoiled, added with a healthy dose of speculation from a variety of sources.

I prefer the spoiler free thing. However in regards to posts in a thread that is definitely for eps that are coming up I think the mods shouldn't even waste the time with fixing posts here only in other threads like the character and relationship threads where that needs to be under wraps. I say this because this thread is for the upcoming season and episodes.

Majority of the people here are not children, and really I believe the youngest is 13. If that's the case I think people need to stop whining about "I"m being spoiled" because this is a thread for upcoming eps which will have specs, commentary and spoilers from upcoming episodes or storylines. That shouldn't be the responsibilty of the mods.

All in all, I think in other threads that are not for the future season discussion spoiler tags should be allowed and used regularly by mods if need be. However, in the respective thread/or section. It should be a free discussion. That's not the case, but I just think people are asking to be spoiled when they come into a future thread to either post or read.

If you're spoiled and one doesn't want to be, well you shoudln't have come into the thread. Or at least pick your thread well.
            Click statement above to read article.

Comment

I don't have much sympathy for people who get spoiled on GW, because in my experience, random mid-thread spoilering is rare; the bulk of spoilers tend to be in episode discussion threads, pre-airing speculation threads, or clearly labelled OMG NEW PLOT DETAILS FROM "THE SHRINE" SPOILERS LIEK WHOA!!!!! threads. You get spoiled on one of those; it's your own fault. When I can't watch the show on its first airing or when I know I don't want to be spoiled for a good episode, I know to stay away from those sections of fandom where people will be talking about it. I expect people to follow the spoiler policy, but I'm not going to ask people to use tags on an episode thread. If the episode mentioned comes chronologically before the episode being discussed, I don't see the need for spoiler tags because it's information the show presumes is already known. If it's something that is widely known and that someone active in fandom could be reasonably expected to know - such as a great deal of the Carson information - I'm less likely to be circumspect, because if you know the show, you know what's happening.

I know when I come to Gateworld and I come on the Season 5 thread, I'm going to get some speculation and some behind-the-scenes info.. If I don't want to see it, I stay the heck away.

I was busy with projects and schoolwork in an area where I didn't get Sci-Fi when "The Last Man" aired; other than the most basic pre-airing synopsis (he returns to Atlantis and no one's there!) and a couple of promo pics - all of which I deliberately sought out - I was completely unspoiled when I watched the episode.

Basically, you know how to avoid being spoiled; members should follow the spoiler policy, but past that it's not the job of the members or the mods to hold your hand and guide you to the "safe" parts of discussion.
              They say the geek never gets the girl...what about the girl getting the geek?

Rodney/Teyla...it could happen

spoilers for "200"
              Spoiler:
              Gen. Hammond: It has to spin, it's round! Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning. I'm the general, and I want it to spin!

Vala: Are you saying that General O'Neill is...

Cam: My daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by starfox View Post
                I don't have much sympathy for people who get spoiled on GW, because in my experience, random mid-thread spoilering is rare; the bulk of spoilers tend to be in episode discussion threads, pre-airing speculation threads, or clearly labelled OMG NEW PLOT DETAILS FROM "THE SHRINE" SPOILERS LIEK WHOA!!!!! threads.
                No, people do drop huge spoilers in threads that are clearly not marked spoilers. I am in no rush to buy CONTINUUM now because of one stlupid fan.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                  No, people do drop huge spoilers in threads that are clearly not marked spoilers. I am in no rush to buy CONTINUUM now because of one stlupid fan.
                  Ouch. That's a good example of what I mean about avoiding spoilers... I've tried to avoid anything with the word Continuum in it. I've still had that same thing happen though, were somebody posted something without spoiler tags. It's almost impossible to avoid sometimes.
                  || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Working...
                  X