Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a note taken off wikipedia about the population diversity in the US..

White 69.1%
    Black 12.1%

The ratio should be roughly 7 white people to every black cast member, so if anything the black community is being overpresented

I appreciate the fact that diversity is needed to be represented in a modern society, but it must not go over the top.

Comment

Originally posted by Bloodcold View Post
      I was a big fan of Stargate SG-1 and eeven the first season of Atlantis, but now I just can't do it anymore. I can't pretend like this show has any respect for black views at all anymore. The darkest actor on the show is someone that doesn't even look like she is black and they got rid of the only black male charactor on the show and none have basicly followed. Was Stargate SG-1 just filmed in another part of the world as Atlantis, because their idea of a diverse cast of characters is a joke. What, was it suppose to be impressive, that they have so many women? I am black and call me racist or anything else, but I would actually like to see someone that looks like me. Atlantis is becoming the anti-Black stargate. It's like they are looking to get the people that have an open problem with black people to say, look we can watch this show and not have to look at black people. The black skin you see on the show, seem to be nothing more than a fake atempt to look like they are not going for the racist viewer. What happened, is it just a completely different group of director and producers for this show than it was for SG-1? Because clearly they are not even a little concerned by the out right show of not casting black actors for the show. I have been reading about all of the new cast members and not one of them has been black. What is worst is, that clearly they know their viewers, because I don't see anyone else talking about their lack of diversity.
      First off, if it bothers you that much then dont watch the show, that way we wont have a problem.

Second, you said the darkest actor on the show doesn't even look black, are you talking about Rachel Luttrell? Because she's plays an alien, as in from antoher planet, she could be green if they wanted her to be and if she was so what, the color of a person's skin doesn't matter. Just go watch something else on tv and stop bothering others with this rubbish.

Oh and P.S.
      Dont make it seem as though all black people feel this way because i'm black and SGA is one of my favorite shows on television, & I dont care what color the characters skin is, if they can act then im happy.

Comment

There's a pretty good article about "People of Color" on TV at:

http://scifi.about.com/od/tvshowsaz/...r_fall07_2.htm

People of Color in Sci-Fi: Fall 2007
        By Mark Wilson, About.com

with a mention about Stargate: Atlantis.

And, it gives a nice perspective for all of TV casting.

Comment

Originally posted by BloomGate View Post
          Because of this, and how it's financially more feasible to hire locals to be the extras on the other planets of the Pegasus galaxy, the galaxy where the story is set is predominantly white - just like the area where it is filmed.
          I didn't read the whole thread, so someone might have mentioned this already, but a majority of the population of Vancouver is of south-east Asian descent, not Caucasian. That's why when you see a "minority" on the show, they are usually Asian, cause that's what is available in the local population. You're right that there aren't very many black people though.

Comment

Yes, one or two people have mentioned that

Should TV shows only have to strictly represent the diversity of that country's population? I don't know a lot about this, but I do know how I feel. My gut feeling is this. Let's take the UK. 90% of the population is white. Therefore it naturally follows that there are going to be significant areas where the population is all white, and it might be possible for people to exist and grow up without ever spending a significant amount of time with someone who wasn't white. Therefore, the only time they might see someone who is different from them interacting in any sort of setting will be on the TV.

Humans, as part of our evolutionary nature, tend to stick together, make allowances for the people they know and view strangers with suspicion. In times past that worked very well. But in this century it isn't desirable for people to be that insular. Without any sort of interaction at all, extremism and racism can be fostered, especially amongst the ignorant. Getting along together in a world society is imperative if we want to eradicate poverty, war and environmental damage.

So diversity on a TV show is only a little thing, but for me, it is an absolutely necessary step towards making us a better society as a whole.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gopher65 View Post
              but a majority of the population of Vancouver is of south-east Asian descent, not Caucasian. That's why when you see a "minority" on the show, they are usually Asian, cause that's what is available in the local population. You're right that there aren't very many black people though.
              maybe thats because black people hate canadians(and thus won't move there) like TPTB apparently hate black people

canadians are people too!! just cos their heads flap like on south park, doesn't mean they're bad people............. buddy
              sigpic
              EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
              -Liberty Prime

Comment

International force in Atlantis? But the feel is very American/Canadian.

Comment

Originally posted by rlr149 View Post
                  maybe thats because black people hate canadians(and thus won't move there) like TPTB apparently hate black people

canadians are people too!! just cos their heads flap like on south park, doesn't mean they're bad people............. buddy
                  Who you callin' buddy, guy?

Comment

Who you callin' guy, pal?

Comment

As a multiracial individual I wouldnt want Stargate Atlantis to add a black or anyother non-white character for the sake of it.I dont think its that important. Actually I think SGA is much more diverse because of having 2 "aliens" on there main team and not to mention characters like Beckett or Zelenka. On SG1 we rarely saw characters other then Americans.

Although I have to mention I think it would be nice if they'd tell us how these random black or asian characters show up in villages of mostly white individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by gopher65 View Post
                        I didn't read the whole thread, so someone might have mentioned this already, but a majority of the population of Vancouver is of south-east Asian descent, not Caucasian. That's why when you see a "minority" on the show, they are usually Asian, cause that's what is available in the local population. You're right that there aren't very many black people though.
                        Actually the majority (by far) is Caucasian as per : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogra...of_ethnicities .

Anyway, I think Stargate captures the racial makeup of Canada pretty well.
                        We're whalers on the moon,
                        We carry a harpoon.
                        But there ain't no whales
                        So we tell tall tales
                        And sing our whaling tune.

Comment

Hmmm. So there are no Native American's in Canada then?

The thing is that it's meant to be an American show, it is just filmed in Vancouver. And the task force on Atlantis is meant to be international.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by A Mal Doran View Post
                            There's a pretty good article about "People of Color" on TV at:

http://scifi.about.com/od/tvshowsaz/...r_fall07_2.htm

People of Color in Sci-Fi: Fall 2007
                            By Mark Wilson, About.com

with a mention about Stargate: Atlantis.

And, it gives a nice perspective for all of TV casting.
                            His point of view is very good but there is a flaw to his argument on Stargate (that only aliens can be black and therefore we earthlings only need white people to reach out to other galaxies) - Ford
                            What we do in life echoes in eternity - Gladiator vghUp the Blades!

Comment

Wow. I don't agree with the topic creator at all. I've seen show with an all African-American cast and not for a second think of "lack of diversity". I never really noticed an all white cast mostly because there are a lot of foreigners on the cast meaning that there is not an all white cast.

Comment

Originally posted by Bloodcold View Post
                                I was a big fan of Stargate SG-1 and eeven the first season of Atlantis, but now I just can't do it anymore. I can't pretend like this show has any respect for black views at all anymore. The darkest actor on the show is someone that doesn't even look like she is black and they got rid of the only black male charactor on the show and none have basicly followed. Was Stargate SG-1 just filmed in another part of the world as Atlantis, because their idea of a diverse cast of characters is a joke. What, was it suppose to be impressive, that they have so many women? I am black and call me racist or anything else, but I would actually like to see someone that looks like me. Atlantis is becoming the anti-Black stargate. It's like they are looking to get the people that have an open problem with black people to say, look we can watch this show and not have to look at black people. The black skin you see on the show, seem to be nothing more than a fake atempt to look like they are not going for the racist viewer. What happened, is it just a completely different group of director and producers for this show than it was for SG-1? Because clearly they are not even a little concerned by the out right show of not casting black actors for the show. I have been reading about all of the new cast members and not one of them has been black. What is worst is, that clearly they know their viewers, because I don't see anyone else talking about their lack of diversity.
                                As a white man, I find your post to be extremely racist. You want black people to be on the show just because their black? That's very racist to your own kind. The casting people should only be obligated to hire a black actor if the character has a black background.

Comment

Working...
                                X