Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The next goal for SG:A: Cast Stability!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pic-CollSwan View Post
    I agree. I'm referring to him as Mr. Weasely right now because I think the whole "IOA taking charge" theme is going to create some tension with the team. And, of course, I'm on our team's side until the weasel proves himself. The episode with him and Jack and then again in 'The Seer' showed promise, but still lots of room for mishandling of circumstances. I'm looking forward to his character.

Someone else said this, too, but Carter walked in the door with too much respect and character history. It feels like she was sent as a hero to "take care of things" until they decided who'd take up Atlantis next. In a sense, it might be seen as realistic. Suddenly Weir is gone and Atlantis is bad shape. Who can take charge and make sure it all smooths out ok? Why, Carter can, of course.
    I still love Sam, but her input on Atlantis seemed mostly administrative and non-Sam-like (with some exceptions, of course, but I'm speaking of an overall impression).
    I think you hit the nail on the head with that. Carter did not really have any challenges. Sheppard or Mckay did not even once question her command or even put up an argument. Sheppard sure did give Weir lots of hell in the beginning. Maybe because of the Civillian vs. Military stuff? Well Woolsey is a civillian so bring on the drama.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pic-CollSwan View Post
      Promote them and move them on rather than killing them off. Maybe people wouldn't hate the "replacement" as much.
      Think again...
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
        I think you hit the nail on the head with that. Carter did not really have any challenges. Sheppard or Mckay did not even once question her command or even put up an argument. Sheppard sure did give Weir lots of hell in the beginning. Maybe because of the Civillian vs. Military stuff? Well Woolsey is a civillian so bring on the drama.
        carter could easily have been a cardboard cutout for all the lines the writers gave her. she was pretty much non-confrontational (except for one remark to Woolsey) that she came across more as a, well, grade school teacher than the leader of an alien city. i do think woolsey will add more conflict/drama or at least better delivery of dialogue than they had with carter. I'm not sure what happened to her between SG1 and SGA, but I suspect there's a giant green pod out there somewhere

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
          carter could easily have been a cardboard cutout for all the lines the writers gave her. she was pretty much non-confrontational (except for one remark to Woolsey) that she came across more as a, well, grade school teacher than the leader of an alien city. i do think woolsey will add more conflict/drama or at least better delivery of dialogue than they had with carter. I'm not sure what happened to her between SG1 and SGA, but I suspect there's a giant green pod out there somewhere
          See I loved Carter in "Trio" and "BAMSR" we got to see the thinking Carter or the SG-1 Carter we all fell in love with, well at least the ones that fell in love with her character.
          sigpic

Comment

Actually......as far as Carter goes, I agree they could have done better with the conflict, but...I actually started liking her again in the second half of S4. And that's saying quite a lot because I disliked her character pretty strongly after her last few seasons on SG-1 (7ish through 10).
            - Life after Stargate -
            Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
            Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
            sigpic

Comment

See I loved Carter in "Trio" and "BAMSR" we got to see the thinking Carter or the SG-1 Carter we all fell in love with, well at least the ones that fell in love with her character.
              I liked carter in SG1, but in SGA, her portrayal was, well, pretty unmemorable, and I blame that mostly due to the writers. They gave her precious little to work with, no real conflict of any kind TRIO doesn't rate as one of my favorites. Maybe it'll look better on DVD.

But a to cast stablility? Sigh, the writers solution to not thinking up better plots is to kill someone for ratings. It is, alas, a time-honored cop-out on TV. I keep wishing they'd get in some fresh blood on the writing staff...

I hope we can get through season 5 wtihout the writers feeling they need to kill someone else (unless it's a guest star character, then that's okay

Comment

I liked carter in SG1, but in SGA, her portrayal was, well, pretty unmemorable, and I blame that mostly due to the writers. They gave her precious little to work with, no real conflict of any kind TRIO doesn't rate as one of my favorites. Maybe it'll look better on DVD.

But a to cast stablility? Sigh, the writers solution to not thinking up better plots is to kill someone for ratings. It is, alas, a time-honored cop-out on TV. I keep wishing they'd get in some fresh blood on the writing staff...

I hope we can get through season 5 wtihout the writers feeling they need to kill someone else (unless it's a guest star character, then that's okay
                See I think that was done on purpose. A lot of stuff happened to the main characters like dealing with Weir's departure, Carson's return out of nowhere, and Teyla's abduction. There was really no room for Carter to be focused onto, and honestly it was better this way. Now with Woolsey, we will see that heavy character drama like we got in the first Season. I think it will be very interesting.

Edit: As per the main character deaths. I think we'll be safe at least till Season 7 if the show gets that far.
                sigpic

Comment

I hope we can get through season 5 wtihout the writers feeling they need to kill someone else
                  .: Yes and No. Because Keller must DIE!

.: That's a cheap ratings ploy that would actually work...

Comment

See I think that was done on purpose. A lot of stuff happened to the main characters like dealing with Weir's departure, Carson's return out of nowhere, and Teyla's abduction. There was really no room for Carter to be focused onto, and honestly it was better this way. Now with Woolsey, we will see that heavy character drama like we got in the first Season. I think it will be very interesting.

Edit: As per the main character deaths. I think we'll be safe at least till Season 7 if the show gets that far.
                    Yes, they did leave Carter in the background but didn't give her much of anything interesting to do. I thought they'd at least give her a little 'oomph' but never saw that develop.

Comment

Originally posted by Reiko View Post

.: Yes and No. Because Keller must DIE!

.: That's a cheap ratings ploy that would actually work...
                      So Keller gets killed, and Carson takes over as CMO? Hmmm could work. I would not put that past the writers to do that. Don't know if I would be happy with that, I like the shared role better. Right now it's like 1 to 3 which is not too bad. I was looking for more 1 to 2 or 7eps to 14eps.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Reckoning22 View Post
                        For any possible future seasons, the creators of the show should settle down and not have anymore cast changes for the rest of its run (3 seasons max, probably). There was not a cast change to SG-1 until season 6, and then it went back to how it was for season 7.

Though it has not annoyed me, the constant cast changes are starting to bug me. Does anyone else want to see a couple of seasons with the same cast? To me it worked out brilliantly with SG:1.

I agree i think too many cast changes are the sign of a struggling show, struggling to define itself, and as a character driven show to change characters so often is unsettling.

They should take some lessons from Star Trek Deep Space Nine, they kept all their original cast but managed to develop new guest characters as well.
                        the result was a great Sci FI show with great characters that didn't have to die to become interesting, with the possible exception of Dax.

Comment

Yes, they did leave Carter in the background but didn't give her much of anything interesting to do. I thought they'd at least give her a little 'oomph' but never saw that develop.
                          Yeah I think they did not want Carter to get too much of the spotlight and leave the SGA cast in the background. But Carter did have some of her moments to shine.

BTW, don't be surprised if Carter returns in Season 6 as leader. I don't know how Sanctuary will do. SCI FI viewers are more fixated on Ghost Plumbers right now. So TPTB would not think twice to bring Amanda back, imo.

I rather see Woolsey really take the role and take it to the next level and remain as leader if there are more seasons to come.
                          sigpic

Comment

.: I still do not get how Skiffy (and moreso its viewers) are so enamoured with Ghost Plumbers and Wrestling.

.: If TPTB want to make changes without all the hassle, have Rodney find an Ancient Machine, go back to 'Sunday' and save Carson and Elizabeth. Full circle.

.: Easy-peasy.

Comment

No, that'd be a reset.

Which, apparently, fans hate?

Comment

Yeah I think they did not want Carter to get too much of the spotlight and leave the SGA cast in the background. But Carter did have some of her moments to shine.

BTW, don't be surprised if Carter returns in Season 6 as leader. I don't know how Sanctuary will do. SCI FI viewers are more fixated on Ghost Plumbers right now. So TPTB would not think twice to bring Amanda back, imo.

I rather see Woolsey really take the role and take it to the next level and remain as leader if there are more seasons to come.
                                I hope they do NOT bring her back as commander. See below for reasoning. It would be tacky to kick out one actor to make room for another... oh wait, this is stargate

Originally posted by Buck32 View Post
                                I agree i think too many cast changes are the sign of a struggling show, struggling to define itself, and as a character driven show to change characters so often is unsettling.

They should take some lessons from Star Trek Deep Space Nine, they kept all their original cast but managed to develop new guest characters as well.
                                the result was a great Sci FI show with great characters that didn't have to die to become interesting, with the possible exception of Dax.
                                While in a rare instance an actor doens't work out, neither Paul nor Torri wanted to leave. They were just told, hey, we're doing this to your character. Constantly switching lead characters doesn't build an audience; it tends to lose an audience if they tune in and go 'wait, where did so and so go?" ANd with the increasingly fickle tastes of vieweing audience nowadays, they can't afford to lose audience. Or alienate the fan base they have.

Comment

Working...
                                X