This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Yet, the older ladies seem to disappear from the screen like snow melting in the sun... at least in SGA.
    Its not just SGA that suffers from this condition. I see it in almost every TV show. The young attractice actors/actressess are picked for the main cast and a lot of the recurring. Its wrong but is not likely to change. At least not until the majority of TV audiences care about less about the physical.
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
      That's why they're called guest stars...
      No, really? What about the recurring and main? Seen any older ladies lately, other than Rachel?

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
      EDIT: And you wouldn't know it from looking at her, but Rachel Luttell is actually 37. Incredible.
      10 years & 14 days my senior, born on the 19th of January.

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      Its not just SGA that suffers from this condition. I see it in almost every TV show. The young attractice actors/actressess are picked for the main cast and a lot of the recurring. Its wrong but is not likely to change. At least not until the majority of TV audiences care about less about the physical.
      It's not just the audience that needs a good knock on the head... It'll only get worse before it gets better, if ever.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

» It's not the fact really that they're young but rather they are likely to be bland cookie-cutter female characters to pay lip service to the fans. And the male demo.

Comment

It's not just the audience that needs a good knock on the head...
          Its society in general but you don't want me to rant about that.
          It'll only get worse before it gets better, if ever.
          That’s how it usually goes
          Originally posted by Reiko View Post
          » It's not the fact really that they're young but rather they are likely to be bland cookie-cutter female characters to pay lip service to the fans. And the male demo.
          And vice versa. Look at the attractiveness of the male characters. Its just not confined to the male fans.
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Its society in general but you don't want me to rant about that.That’s how it usually goes
            No thanks, already had a rather animated discussion this morning with some people about that very subject.

And vice versa. Look at the attractiveness of the male characters. Its just not confined to the male fans.
            Yes, but how many of them are twenty-somethings (the age all but a few of the ladies are)? JM & ... ?
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

IMHO, SGA is beating society in terms of shallowness. I see older/old ladies in almost every tv show. I don't see them on Atlantis. Very unrealistic.
              sigpic

Comment

^And what kind of people do those older ladies portray? Can those roles be applied to a SciFi Action Adventure show like SGA?

No, really? What about the recurring and main? Seen any older ladies lately, other than Rachel?
                Well lately, you got Carter. She's leaving, of course. The only other regular female character is Keller and she is of course young. But that means we have 1 older female vs. 1 younger female going into Season 5, which is not that bad in terms of diversity. We don't know how the all-female team will work itself out in Whispers so that's a moot point and...well, I think that's it. Larrin's actress is busy, and her replacement is about 30 according to IMDB, and we don't even know if she'll be recurring or not.

I wonder how old Sharon Taylor is...she's going to be a recurring Technician.

Comment

Well other Scifi shows, like Star Trek The Next Generation for example, had older characters on (like doctors, etc). So yeah, SGA can do the same...

So back on topic...other characters that need to go....

How about the Travelers as a whole.

Comment

TNG premiered 20 years ago and in a different time. A better comparsion would be Enterprise. Not many old males/females in that show.
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

TNG premiered 20 years ago and in a different time. A better comparsion would be Enterprise. Not many old males/females in that show.
                      Enterprise is subpar Star Trek, so yes, its comparison to Atlantis makes perfect sense.
                      sigpic

Comment

Troll.

Comment

Amateur, troll... Please, continue.
                          sigpic

Comment

» Yes - but they're not there for that reason, are they?

Comment

Yes it was a different time this is true but it could still be done today. Having older characters in important roles like doctors, scientists, commanders, etc make the show more realistic because in actual organizations, they will have different age groups. Having everyone young isn't realistic.

This is a great topic and should be made into it's own thread but lets get back on the topic at hand on which character should go...

Comment

Originally posted by Reiko View Post
                                » Yes - but they're not there for that reason, are they?
                                How can you be so sure they're not?

Comment

Working...
                                X