This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jenks View Post
    No it's not, can't you read? Or are you taking the piss?
    Sorry. It was my understanding that you thought young women lured the coveted demographic and they were less expensive than more experienced actresses. I thought that's how I responded.

Hot young women will attract more young male viewers than if older, less attractive actresses were used. Shallow, pathetic, call it what you like, I might agree but it's still the truth. Personally I couldn't care less whether they use younger or older actresses as long as they can act, so if it keeps the show on the air I'm all for it.
    Ah, but you're assuming that there are no attractive older women. Surprisingly some males might find an actress who was both atractive and suited to the role to be far more enjoyable than a young actress who has to stretch to make anyone believe she holds a position of authority. I'm not saying never cast an attractive young woman ever again, but why not limit it to appropriate roles? Why is it so incredible that there might be some older women in positions of power in the Pegasus Galaxy. Surely every Pegasus leader isn't either a young attractive female or a middle-aged or older man.

Comment

Oh I'm not suggesting they should be, just saying why I think they're cast that way.

Comment

Originally posted by maxbo View Post
        I agree that TPTB don't put the same amount of effort into casting for female characters as they do when casting for male characters. When they cast for female characters, the main criteria appears to be youth and looks because that's all an actress needs to fulfill TPTB's plans for female characters these days. It's not like they have any plans to really write for these female characters so they want them to be "hot" enough to be used as lame plot devices, yet bland enough to be ignored otherwise.
        » ITA. It's a very sad sad truth about the entertainment industry, in which you can turn someone down for simply not being "hot" enough.

» When the industry people look at a male actor, they see the whole - not just mere looks, but also talent, personality and charisma to factor in to who they cast. When they look at a woman, they see physical parts - boobies, butts, skin and eyes and noses. Acting talent is reccommended, but if you look hot enough it's merely optional.

Comment

Originally posted by Reiko View Post
          » ITA. It's a very sad sad truth about the entertainment industry, in which you can turn someone down for simply not being "hot" enough.

» When the industry people look at a male actor, they see the whole - not just mere looks, but also talent, personality and charisma to factor in to who they cast. When they look at a woman, they see physical parts - boobies, butts, skin and eyes and noses. Acting talent is reccommended, but if you look hot enough it's merely optional.
          More like society in general.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
            More like society in general.
            Sad but true.

Comment

As far as I'm concerned, the lack of older, more experienced actresses is a Stargate Atlantis problem.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sblade View Post
                As far as I'm concerned, the lack of older, more experienced actresses is a Stargate Atlantis problem.
                I agree it's a big problem

Comment

How old do you want them?

Christina Cox and Nicole de Boer, members of the much dreaded "Team Barbie", are both around their late 30s, just like Torri Higginson was.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                    Christina Cox and Nicole de Boer, members of the much dreaded "Team Barbie", are both around their late 30s, just like Torri Higginson was.
                    Yeah, to keep the whining fans happy... Wanna bet they are not the ones who'll get through the episode alive? Shame cause I kinda liked Christina in Blood Ties. Maybe I could have liked someone again in SGA with her.
                    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I'll take that bet as I think this all female team is being blown out of proportion. What are the stakes?
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                        Yeah, to keep the whining fans happy... Wanna bet they are not the ones who'll get through the episode alive? Shame cause I kinda liked Christina in Blood Ties. Maybe I could have liked someone again in SGA with her.
                        I bet Nicole de Boer's character does.

Comment

Well, we know Christina's character won't make it out a live; she's named Anne Teldy, after all.

Point is though, they aren't always casting women who are young; it's probably about talent, money, and availability.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                            I'll take that bet as I think this all female team is being blown out of proportion. What are the stakes?
                            You already lost half the bet... *points at PG15's post*
                            Odds are looking good in my favor.

Well, we know Christina's character won't make it out a live; she's named Anne Teldy, after all.
                            I didn't know Cox was Teldy. So, that leaves de Boer...

Point is though, they aren't always casting women who are young; it's probably about talent, money, and availability.
                            Yet, the older ladies seem to disappear from the screen like snow melting in the sun... at least in SGA.
                            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I didn't know Cox was Teldy. So, that leaves de Boer...
                              I think Nicole sticks around...Doesn't she...Isn't she playing Porter???
                              sigpic

Comment

Yet, the older ladies seem to disappear from the screen like snow melting in the sun... at least in SGA.
                                That's why they're called guest stars...

EDIT: And you wouldn't know it from looking at her, but Rachel Luttell is actually 37. Incredible.

Well, that's what Wiki says.

Comment

Working...
                                X