X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
    perhaps for you
    Well for me it goes like this, with Teyla the mute button is enough, I just switch off completely when Keller is about.

Comment

I voted for Teyla. :hide behind a rock from tomatoes: I hope they can change her more interesting with maternity and Wraith skills.
      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

15 Votes for Teyla . Damn, I am missing out .

Comment

And only friggin 4 for Rodney....*grumbles* He should have more votes than that
          sigpic

Comment

» *cheers* go Keller!

Comment

Originally posted by Arica12 View Post
              Still, on the sliding scale she's nowhere near as bad as Keller or Larrin.
              Larrin is only in few episodes so I can survive her. And, I like Jewel Staite - her Keller is little unbelieveable as a doctor, less than as a chief of medical department since she is in the same age as me, but I really liked her in The Last Man. If they would keep writing her like that, I have no problems with that.
              But watching Teyla´s grimaces everytime she appears and listen to her statements, no, really no. As someone says that McKay is annoying, then for me is annoying Teyla, from different reasons.

But you know what is sad? I used to love this show and everyone in it. In S1, from the very beginning, even Teyla. And now? I can hear everywhere around me only how people hate some character (mostly Teyla and Sheppard) and how they want them to be killed. It´s mostly fun, true, but...I think the fact that people can´t even agree what character is worse says something about this show. And when I remember how great it was in S1...

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand." - G´Kar, Babylon 5

Comment

It is kind of interesting to see that out of the 10 choices offered in the poll, there are 3 women and together they account for almost 75% of the votes. I'm not sure why this would be, but for some reason the female characters have more detractors than the guys. Any explanations?
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lythisrose View Post
                  It is kind of interesting to see that out of the 10 choices offered in the poll, there are 3 women and together they account for almost 75% of the votes. I'm not sure why this would be, but for some reason the female characters have more detractors than the guys. Any explanations?
                  I'll give it a shot...

Female characters are either:

* meant to be the babe of the week
                  * damsel in distress with no other meaning but that
                  * 2D - poorly developed
                  * for male viewing pleasure
                  * meant to be shipped with the male heroes

What do you think? Am I close?
                  Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Arica12 View Post
                    So how about we lose Keller, Larrin NEVER comes back and Teyla returns to the character written in Season 1 - Everyone happy!
                    That sounds like a plan!

Originally posted by Klenotka View Post
                    But you know what is sad? I used to love this show and everyone in it. In S1, from the very beginning, even Teyla. And now? I can hear everywhere around me only how people hate some character (mostly Teyla and Sheppard) and how they want them to be killed. It´s mostly fun, true, but...I think the fact that people can´t even agree what character is worse says something about this show. And when I remember how great it was in S1...
                    In S1 I think there was a real effort on the part of the writers to bring each character to life. They've gotten sloppy in later years and focused only on what's easiest for them (IMO)

I've seen more dissatisfaction with Teyla this season -- probably because of the stupid pregnancy/Michael storyline. They've reduced her from a full fledged member of the team, to the one who must be protected and rescued.

I really haven't seen a lot of Sheppard hate (Personally, I don't think there'd be a show without him). But I'm sure you visit different threads than I do. I've seen a lot of disagreement over Keller and a lot of division regarding McKay (is he overused or the saviour of the show).

Originally posted by Lythisrose View Post
                    I think a lot of it has to do with TPTB who cast actresses without thinking about the role that needs to be filled (IKeller and Larin) and then lack the creativity to develop the female characters. Weir is gone, Teyla shoved into the background half the time and Keller and Larin are there for shipping purposes.

Comment

» Klenotka pretty much hit how I feel. For me, I loved everyone in the first three seasons, but the fourth season (and presumably onwards) is making me hate the characters I used to love. For me, it's mostly McKay specially with the whole Keller fiasco and him stealing the show almosts 24/7, and also Sheppard to an extent. Teyla - well, she's barely there, so for her I generally have nothing to complain about except lack of development.

Originally posted by Cautious Explorer View Post
                      I've seen more dissatisfaction with Teyla this season -- probably because of the stupid pregnancy/Michael storyline. They've reduced her from a full fledged member of the team, to the one who must be protected and rescued.
                      » I never bought the whole "Teyla's role will be much bigger in season four" from the start. I knew there was to be some stupid baby-related plot all along that wasn't really so connected to her, just at first was to percieved to be. Now they're saying the same thing - "Teyla's role will be expanded in season five." I'm not buying into it. Show me, PTB, not your usual motto of "wait and see".

Comment

Originally posted by Lythisrose
                        Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                        I'll give it a shot...

Female characters are either:

* meant to be the babe of the week
                        * damsel in distress with no other meaning but that
                        * 2D - poorly developed
                        * for male viewing pleasure
                        * meant to be shipped with the male heroes

What do you think? Am I close?
                        pretty far off tbh. it's actually got to do with the fact that most of the people on this forum (ie who voted on the poll) are women themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
                          pretty far off tbh. it's actually got to do with the fact that most of the people on this forum (ie who voted on the poll) are women themselves.
                          Well I suppose that you both can be on the right track; perhaps many women just do not like how these female characters are written and portrayed. Are most of the men happy with how they are presented? Hard to tell.
                          sigpic

Comment

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...strogenBrigade

Comment

After Keller and Larrin go, I think the Barbie team should be next.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
                                It might be true. But, I personally loved Elizabeth, she wasn´t great written either but she had enough screentime and Torri was so good in her performance that it didn´t matter.
                                Then I like Allina, who was unfortunately only in one episode. I liked Sora who was sucked into a plot hole, same with Cadman. And I am one of few who doesn´t mind Keller. She is my age, yes. She is to young to be a chief of medical department, yes. They have to write her properly next season, yes. But I still think she isn´t that bad.
                                I honestly don´t understand why to bring tons of new female characters, when they had them before. And, they had bigger role. Those, who will be there now, will be probably reduced if not into eye candy then only to episode roles. Their own episode or not, I am sure at least one of them will die in this episode.
                                And yes, as a woman, I really do mind how they write female characters sometimes and especially how they present Teyla. I don´t like her mainly because I think that Rachel isn´t a good actress. But, I hate how they presented her last few seasons. She is a fighter so she just needs to have naked belly and legs, so we can all see it during some fight. Then, in S4, she is pregnant, which is in the eyes of tptb angry, moody, who needs to be saved all the time.
                                She even isn´t a leader either, because her people vanished from the story.

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand." - G´Kar, Babylon 5

Comment

Working...
                                X