This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ykickamoocow View Post
    So you dont see it as a problem that Americans care only about America and nothing else.

Also do Americans watch tv programmes from other countries? I ask because when a British show becomes successful in England instead of showing that show the Americans decide to make a "American Version". What is wrong with the original version?
    Nope, every country only cares about its self. Infact americans find much of the world culture baffling. The closest we come to internation entertainment is the 15-23 yr old generation that for some reason is obsessed with japanese anime. Theres little sub genres like british humor but its not enough to base a studio or even a network on. Even science fiction is fairly fringe in america.

Your average american tvshow is relationship drama focused around action or emotions in regional settings. And that is soo subjectively different from country to country to be relatable. About the only reason i could see american televison/movies being in such demand is a) theres a glut of it and b) people want some of that hypothetical american money so they emulate the culture.

Its actually a pretty huge thing that atlantis is international, and that sg1 was altered for an internation aspect its final 2 years. As a rule we american consumers are pretty self aborbed :-p

Comment

I think it's safe to assume this is a fake because the original poster has not come back on with a credible source of the information.

Best Stargate quote:
      Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
      Green is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by ykickamoocow View Post
        So you dont see it as a problem that Americans care only about America and nothing else.

Also do Americans watch tv programmes from other countries? I ask because when a British show becomes successful in England instead of showing that show the Americans decide to make a "American Version". What is wrong with the original version?
        You're just reinforcing my points. See, you're not separating reality from television here. When it comes to my entertainment, I don't care about any other country, because it's NOT REAL! You're saying that because I don't care about a fake version of England in Stargate that I don't care about England in the real world?

Also, I have no idea whether other Americans watch television shows from other countries.
        I've watched Doctor Who, and I didn't go on forums and ask them to focus on the United States in the show, either. I accepted the fact that it is written for an audience in another country. Realistically, all the alien races that visit earth in Doctor Who wouldn't all end up in London, would they? Of course not. To make it more realistic they would have Doctor Who traveling the globe, but they don't. It's written for a British audience, and nobody in other countries are complaining about it.

The reason that British shows such as the Office are re-made in America is because they weren't originally written for American audiences. This is natural, as it was a BRITISH SHOW! They remade it to write it for American audiences. NBC bought the rights and put a lot of money into it to do this. This point you've made just reinforces what I've already said. If you want a Stargate that focuses on England, maybe a British network should buy the rights and write the show for the core British audience.

Lastly, you asked what was wrong with the British version of the Office? Nothing. But, would you expect Americans to get all the jokes in the show?

Comment

Why do American audiences need to be spoon fed like no other? Why do the powers that be always assume that American audiences are retards and won't get anything that isn't within their narrow scope of general knowledge? The Office wasn't remade because Americans are too stupid to get the original, it was remade because Gervais is brilliant at making money, and he knows he can let the American version run as long as he wants without giving a **** about it creatively. I'll never understand this idea that Americans needs to be protected from scary cultural references they might not immediately get, things like that are good for them and they know as much, the number of Harry Potter fans I've heard complain about the changes in the American versions, deary me...

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
            Why do American audiences need to be spoon fed like no other? Why do the powers that be always assume that American audiences are retards and won't get anything that isn't within their narrow scope of general knowledge? The Office wasn't remade because Americans are too stupid to get the original, it was remade because Gervais is brilliant at making money, and he knows he can let the American version run as long as he wants without giving a **** about it creatively. I'll never understand this idea that Americans needs to be protected from scary cultural references they might not immediately get, things like that are good for them and they know as much, the number of Harry Potter fans I've heard complain about the changes in the American versions, deary me...
            Why is it so hard for you to understand that when it comes to entertainment people want things tailored to them? Why do we HAVE to accept a product from England because people in that country said we should? Why do we have to settle for a show that has references we may not get? Why would you even care if there is a remade American version of the Office? You don't even have to watch it.

Comment

Originally posted by jrd231 View Post
              Why is it so hard for you to understand that when it comes to entertainment people want things tailored to them?
              Why is it so hard for you to understand that they don't, and your ignorant outlook on entertainment is a minority one. Most people couldn't care less where entertainment comes from as long as it's entertaining.

Why do we HAVE to accept a product from England because people in that country said we should? Why do we have to settle for a show that has references we may not get?
              No one said you should, what are you taking about?

Why would you even care if there is a remade American version of the Office?
              I don't.

Comment

Why is it so hard for you to understand that they don't, and your ignorant outlook on entertainment is a minority one. Most people couldn't care less where entertainment comes from as long as it's entertaining.
                That's funny. People from England seem to want their entertainment tailored to them. They want more English characters and a starship for the UK. In the minority you say? Maybe you should go back and read this thread. The difference is they're asking for something that isn't reasonable considering the audience the show is written for.

Quote:
                Why would you even care if there is a remade American version of the Office?
                I don't.
                Then why do you care if we are spoon fed a different version that has references outside of our narrow scope of knowledge?

Comment

personally, why change something thats entertaining. but if you want to release a comedy into annother country, it needs to be remade so that country can laugh about it aswell. if britain has a succesfull comedy, and wants to get to holland, but we think the jokes suck, or dont get them, isnt it logical you create dutch jokes for dutch people? same for us dutch making a succesfull comedy, release it to germany, and turn the jokes german, so its succesfull in germany, isnt it?
                  in this world, its about success and selling. if a britain version of stargate would sell better, and create a more solid fanbase, they would do it. if australia would be better, they turn it australia. its marketing.
                  seeing its success around the globe however, i say stargate pays more attention to europe and the world. not just britain. i hate the britains saying "we want britains, we want britains". "die" i say. why the hell would america go to britain, while in reality the whole european union can get cash from a ton of countries, and help produce 304's?? why would they turn to the uk for that? europe as a whole would be much better. but i wouldnt blame them, if the european 304 would be under command of a UK officier.
                  why would america turn to russia, while they could spend their money on the poor sitiuation in russia? why go to the UK alone? why be so selfish. im not here, crying "why dont they turn to the netherlands!. we helped them with a missile tracking system. we helped them in new orleans. we helped them!. we helped them!. you would say f*k your netherlands. ofcourse. because the EU can do much more. austalia could help easily. japan and china. they have a good economy. but russia? thats like asking africa, except russia has money, but they should spend it better.
                  UK on its own cannot do much.

back to the whole public thing: more aim at the EU would bring in more people than just UK.

Comment

Originally posted by jrd231 View Post
                    That's funny. People from England seem to want their entertainment tailored to them. They want more English characters and a starship for the UK. In the minority you say? Maybe you should go back and read this thread. The difference is they're asking for something that isn't reasonable considering the audience the show is written for.
                    People from all over (including America) want there to be more characters that aren't just American.
                    Then why do you care if we are spoon fed a different version that has references outside of our narrow scope of knowledge?
                    I don't. It was a question, hence the '?' at the end of it.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                      personally, why change something thats entertaining. but if you want to release a comedy into annother country, it needs to be remade so that country can laugh about it aswell. if britain has a succesfull comedy, and wants to get to holland, but we think the jokes suck, or dont get them, isnt it logical you create dutch jokes for dutch people? same for us dutch making a succesfull comedy, release it to germany, and turn the jokes german, so its succesfull in germany, isnt it?
                      in this world, its about success and selling. if a britain version of stargate would sell better, and create a more solid fanbase, they would do it. if australia would be better, they turn it australia. its marketing.
                      seeing its success around the globe however, i say stargate pays more attention to europe and the world. not just britain. i hate the britains saying "we want britains, we want britains". "die" i say. why the hell would america go to britain, while in reality the whole european union can get cash from a ton of countries, and help produce 304's?? why would they turn to the uk for that? europe as a whole would be much better. but i wouldnt blame them, if the european 304 would be under command of a UK officier.
                      why would america turn to russia, while they could spend their money on the poor sitiuation in russia? why go to the UK alone? why be so selfish. im not here, crying "why dont they turn to the netherlands!. we helped them with a missile tracking system. we helped them in new orleans. we helped them!. we helped them!. you would say f*k your netherlands. ofcourse. because the EU can do much more. austalia could help easily. japan and china. they have a good economy. but russia? thats like asking africa, except russia has money, but they should spend it better.
                      UK on its own cannot do much.

back to the whole public thing: more aim at the EU would bring in more people than just UK.
                      In Australia we get a stack of tv shows from but the USA and Britain, none of them are modified for Australian audiences and even if we dont get the occasional joke or reference the shows are still easy to understand. If we can watch English shows in Australia why cant Americans watch English shows in America?

Comment

I'd answer, but I'm tired of debating. I concede all previous points.

Now if you'll excuse me, I just got my box set of the Office (British edition) that I need to start watching.

Comment

Question, is that dr who show i keep hearing about on scifi the british one or a purely american construct?

Comment

^I'm fairly certain it's the British one
                            Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

I find Dr. Who laughable allot of the time, it seems much more aimed at children than other Sci Fi shows are. I find Torchwood is better, but apparently it's been quite controversial in America.

Either way, I thik we can safely say this thread is BS, there will be no 'Penelope' (what a stupid name for a ship).

Comment

It is aimed at children, well at least that's what the general consensus is.
                                Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Working...
                                X