This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with Das.
    Also, if they could feed on animals Ellia (Instinct) would have because she hated killing humans.
    And again, the wraith wouldn't need to fear Michael's virus so much if they had other food supplies.

Comment

There's one question that still remains, though.

Have you ever even seen cows in the Pegasus Galaxy...?

In Loving Memory of Wraithlord.

I wish I got to know you better.

Comment

Originally posted by GoSpikey View Post
        There's one question that still remains, though.

Have you ever even seen cows in the Pegasus Galaxy...?
        There are no horses either. Neither are there goats, sheep or camels as far as we have seen. As the resident cowboy here, I am suddenly feeling very alone. I figure the main reason we don't see animals is strictly financial. If there were herd animals, TPTB would have to hire not only the animals but the wranglers to handle them. Animal expense would translate into less money for other cool stuff like FX and actor's salaries.

This also raises an interesting point. Most of the cultures we have seen have been largely agricultural or hunter gatherers. I seem to remember that Teyla said that the Athosians regularly moved their hunting villages around to make it harder for the Wraith to find them. It seems strange that there are not more nomadic tribes that move with their herds in a constant search for food. This would also serve to make it somewhat easier to evade the Wraith.

Cattle on the hoof would be relatively easy to drive from planet to planet through the Stargate as well....unless they were raising Texas Longhorns. (The horns might get stuck in the gate.)
        sigpic The Outlaw Josey Wales
        Josey Wales: Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is.

----------------

Comment

Originally posted by SpaceCowboy View Post
          There are no horses either. Neither are there goats, sheep or camels as far as we have seen. As the resident cowboy here, I am suddenly feeling very alone. I figure the main reason we don't see animals is strictly financial. If there were herd animals, TPTB would have to hire not only the animals but the wranglers to handle them. Animal expense would translate into less money for other cool stuff like FX and actor's salaries.

This also raises an interesting point. Most of the cultures we have seen have been largely agricultural or hunter gatherers. I seem to remember that Teyla said that the Athosians regularly moved their hunting villages around to make it harder for the Wraith to find them. It seems strange that there are not more nomadic tribes that move with their herds in a constant search for food. This would also serve to make it somewhat easier to evade the Wraith.

Cattle on the hoof would be relatively easy to drive from planet to planet through the Stargate as well....unless they were raising Texas Longhorns. (The horns might get stuck in the gate.)

Yeah, it must be for financial reasons - like you said, if they have animals, they have to pay for animal handlers and trainers. So, unless it's pivotal to the story, no animals on-screen - only the implication that animals exist in the PG by referring to hunters/hunting, and the like. Sheppard made reference to trying to feed Steve all sorts of living things - these had to come from the PG, I assume. And there's that giant camel head beasty thing on the Wraith dining table in The Rising.

So, the show makers rely on the power of suggestion. I'm okay with that. I mean, what do we really want to see on the screen - lovely Wraith, with their beautiful hair, spiffy leather coats, and questionable table manners, or...uh...cows?

das
          Last edited by dasNdanger; 28 April 2008, 05:02 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X