This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
    I think this thread needs further discussion. I mentioned this idea in several other places recently and people found it hard to believe. The wonderfully alert Killdeer pointed me toward this thread, and now I know I wasn't imagining things. Unfortunately.

This has got to be the worst idea they've ever had. The one thing that makes the show different from SG-1. The one thing that makes John different from everybody else and not just another action hero who shoots aliens, blows things up and saves people.

Here we have a man who can control Atlantis like no other, possibly even more than the Ancients themselves. Yet he just continues to be just another soldier with a quick wit and survival skills. Vast parts of the city remain unexplored that could have added to his mystique. He could have connected with Atlantis on so many levels. Just the look on his face after he
    Spoiler:
    flies the city in Adrift
    brings up a host of questions. Is he connected on a neural level? Does he hear things the others don't? Does Atlantis speak to him?

Unimaginable that they have a gold mine on their hands and just drop it. One would almost think they are marginalizing Sheppard and de-emphasizing his character to the point where anyone could take over as military commander.
    Unfortunately for John, his fans and the science fiction the most interested aspect of John is going to be just tossed away - I mean WTF? Just like SR said, ATA mythology makes Atlantis different from SG - 1. ATA gene is what brought John to Atlantis, it's the very thing that saved him from staying in Antarctica, it's what makes him the most valuable man in Atlantis. Yet, better stories involving his unique genetics can be found among fan fiction than actual show episodes. Which is really sad. Having him connect to the city on some deeper level - personal, philosophical even - but hey, the writers don't seem able to pull that off - would really be something that makes sci fi genre what it really is. Sadly, all we get is some fiction with lots of action. Is John, the character who is my second favorite just going to fade away just like the ATA mythology?

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Or McKay is much more interesting and he usurps all their imagination and time, and who knows maybe they'll explore his ability to control Atlantis and Ancient tech... Gotta keep track of that gene therapy research after all.

[/end snark]

It wouldn't surprise me much to see McKay first in the opening credits. Sadly. John IS the leading man. Elizabeth was - okay for me still is - the leading lady of the show. But the writers seem to miss the point completely. That's sad.
    I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
      Is John [...] just going to fade away just like the ATA mythology?
      Looks to be the case, since both are pretty much intertwined with one another....sort of anyway.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I don't think this is as dire as people think; we've got one line from Gero, and it's vague at best. "Mythology" of the gene? What does that even mean?

Perhaps the decision was made more recently, but Sheppard's Gene was important to the story as recent as Travelers. No reason why it won't be important later.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
          I don't think this is as dire as people think; we've got one line from Gero, and it's vague at best. "Mythology" of the gene? What does that even mean?

Perhaps the decision was made more recently, but Sheppard's Gene was important to the story as recent as Travelers. No reason why it won't be important later.
          As you can see in the part of the first post quoted here:

Originally posted by lcshepp View Post
          When I was at the VanCon a few weeks ago I asked Martin Gero during a tour if the writers would be expanding more on Sheppard's gene. Other than flying a jumper, shooting off drones and moving a city, which I admit was impressive, there hasn't been much action. He told me the writers have decided not to explore "that mythology any more." He said that alot of people have the gene now so it's not that special anymore. I was alittle surprised at that comment but wasn't able to pursue at that time.

<big snip>
          Gero said at the VanCon, which if I'm not mistaken took place after S5 started filming, that they don't think Shep's gene is all that special anymore. I take the word mythology to mean the subject of Shep having a stronger gene and being able to do more with it.

In Travelers
          Spoiler:
          I don't think they zeroed in on him in particular, just anyone nearby with the gene. I may be wrong.
          But Gero seems to be talking future.

In my mind, this completely eliminates the last thing that made this show unique or nearly so. Now it's just another alien of the week saga.

PG-15, you're on good terms with JM. Why don't you go ask him on his blog if this is indeed true? That is if you can get him to admit Sheppard still exists.
          sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure View Post
            In the meantime, the writers are concentrating on all-girls teams, and younger and younger female prodigies.

*big yawn*
            I wonder why Teyla has a boy instead of having a girl
            Stolen Kosovo
            sigpic

Comment

PG-15, you're on good terms with JM. Why don't you go ask him on his blog if this is indeed true? That is if you can get him to admit Sheppard still exists.
              I shall do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                Looks to be the case, since both are pretty much intertwined with one another....sort of anyway.
                It wouldn't surprise me to see the gene therapy suddenly shift into high gear and over take John's ability thus making McKay the one who can fly the city and connect on a mental level.
                sigpic

Comment

It wouldn't surprise me to see the gene therapy suddenly shift into high gear and over take John's ability thus making McKay the one who can fly the city and connect on a mental level.
                  Where would that leave John then? Ready to be booted?

Comment

Sheppard's uniqueness is gone. He is now just another soldier on Atlantis, which is why he feels so stale and dull lately.

In the meantime, the writers are concentrating on all-girls teams, and younger and younger female prodigies.

*big yawn*

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by Arica12 View Post
                      Personally - and this isn't going to sound nice, it's not meant to be nasty it's just what I think is going on - I think the writers and present PTB have reached the limits of what they can do. They can write variations on a theme, politics, military conflict etc etc but there is nothing new. Rising promised a whole new world to explore, new terrifying aliens different from anything encountered before and the lost city of Atlantis and a whole fantastical storyline to follow with ancients. The scifi could have been - perhaps should have been - challenging and ground breaking, instead it's formulaic. Scifi by numbers.
                      I agree, the pilot and much of the first series had had a lot of potential to be a great show but instead it's turned out to be the Star Trek Voyager of the SG franchise, formulaic and just treading water to keep the franchise alive. I'm amazed they've never really explored the city and at the way they’ve watered down both the Wraith and the Ancients.

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
                        I wonder why Teyla has a boy instead of having a girl
                        LOL!! Good point!

Comment

I think this thread needs further discussion. I mentioned this idea in several other places recently and people found it hard to believe. The wonderfully alert Killdeer pointed me toward this thread, and now I know I wasn't imagining things. Unfortunately.

This has got to be the worst idea they've ever had. The one thing that makes the show different from SG-1. The one thing that makes John different from everybody else and not just another action hero who shoots aliens, blows things up and saves people.

Here we have a man who can control Atlantis like no other, possibly even more than the Ancients themselves. Yet he just continues to be just another soldier with a quick wit and survival skills. Vast parts of the city remain unexplored that could have added to his mystique. He could have connected with Atlantis on so many levels. Just the look on his face after he
                          Spoiler:
                          flies the city in Adrift
                          brings up a host of questions. Is he connected on a neural level? Does he hear things the others don't? Does Atlantis speak to him?

Unimaginable that they have a gold mine on their hands and just drop it. One would almost think they are marginalizing Sheppard and de-emphasizing his character to the point where anyone could take over as military commander.
                          I disagree. While Shep has shown the strongest ability with Ancient tech I think his gene is about as strong as O'neill's. They both have a unique ability to control Ancient tech. I like the way they have developed his character and don't feel that they have missed an opportunity here. They still focus on how Shep has controls Ancient tech without even breaking a sweat.
                          Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                          "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                          Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                            I disagree. While Shep has shown the strongest ability with Ancient tech I think his gene is about as strong as O'neill's. They both have a unique ability to control Ancient tech. I like the way they have developed his character and don't feel that they have missed an opportunity here. They still focus on how Shep has controls Ancient tech without even breaking a sweat.
                            I have to disagree with that statment. Its Good To Be King and Moebius to me showed that O'Neil has to concentrate to use the Ancient gene while Rising showed Sheppard can use it with little or no effort. Which leads me to conclude that Sheppard's gene is stronger.
                            Originally posted by aretood2
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                              We are talking about the fact that they are not going to continue with the idea that Sheppard has a strong gene. Yes, they have emphasized it in the past but not anymore according to Martin Gero. That's why some of us are mad.

Which leaves me puzzled as to what exactly you disagree with?
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                                I have to disagree with that statment. Its Good To Be King and Moebius to me showed that O'Neil has to concentrate to use the Ancient gene while Rising showed Sheppard can use it with little or no effort. Which leads me to conclude that Sheppard's gene is stronger.
                                Good observation. I agree.
                                - Life after Stargate -
                                Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
                                Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X