This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cautious Explorer
    [TPTB] have admitted that McKay is easiest to write for, easiest to identify with. Rather than strectch their range, put some effort into developing all the characters, McKay is repeatedly overused.

The same goes for storytelling. Rather than worry about complex plots that involve the entire expedition or exploration of the Pegaus Galaxy, it's far easier to write a buddy episode short on plot but full of McKay and Sheppard banter. Why worry about how to resolve a situation when it's so convenient to have McKay discover a scientific miracle to save the world week after week (alway within the last few minutes of the show).
    To be frank, I think you're grossly exaggerating whatever perceived favoritism TPTB have towards McKay.

Your jab about McKay saving the galaxy week after week, for example. This ignores the consistent contributions of pretty much all the main characters at one point or another and episodes, such as "Quarantine," wherein McKay did little or nothing whatsoever to help matters, IMO. Besides, my understanding's that McKay heads the scientific contingent of Atlantis and is the acknowledged expert on Ancient technology. Probably theoretical physics and, by experience, Wraith technology, as well. If he can't decipher what a piece of technology's doing and fix what's broken, who can? None of the others, with the exceptions of Carter and Zelenka, are nearly so qualified. Carter's very busy as base commander, and Zelenka works for McKay. Not that both of them haven't done their share of brilliant last-minute saves.

As for the Sheppard-McKay banter, well, isn't it a forgone conclusion given their established core personalities and relationship? If Sheppard and McKay are in the same vicinity, I figure they're going to snark at each other. I'd consider it OOC for them to not do so, actually. And, yes, where one goes, the other tends to follow. Meta reasons aside, John and Rodney are pretty damn good friends who enjoy each other's company both off the clock and on. Interaction's kind of unavoidable, if you ask me, with their positions as senior staff and on the same off-world team.

Maybe you object to Sheppard and McKay exchanging so much more dialogue than Teyla and Ronon in off-world bottle episodes? (Which, BTW, you don't seem to be considering when you argue there needs to be more exploration of Pegasus.) Honestly, I think that's the modus operandi of the flagship team--Sheppard and McKay bicker; Teyla and Ronon look on, amused. I mean, neither Teyla nor Ronon exactly strike me as chatterboxes. Or, for that matter, as troublemakers. Of the sort that wander after anomalous energy readings and stumble upon secret underground nuclear bunkers.

In short, I think the reason why Sheppard and McKay are so often the instigators of the plot of the week has less to do with TPTB being uncreative or hopelessly biased in favor of them doing everything than Teyla, Ronon, and most of the other characters not being either on an exploration team or quite so enthusiastically reckless.

Regarding characterization, you must also factor in whether the character in question is amiable to revealing backstory or the like, IMO. McKay, I think everyone agrees, is more than happy to give his opinion on any topic, including his personal history. Sheppard? Teyla? Ronon? Not so much. As frustrated as I am with, say, Sheppard's past basically being a blank slate, I don't see how it's plausible to pry that information from him against his will short of interrogation (torture and alien drugs optional!) or something equally drastic.

So, McKay volunteers a bit about himself every episode while the more reserved characters don't get their heads picked apart until they meet just the right (or wrong) circumstances. I personally don't feel this imbalance is the fault of TPTB. Indeed, it's perhaps in keeping with the nature of the characters. What's more, I find the non-verbal characterization of Sheppard, Teyla, and Ronon nicely done and consistent.

Finally, that the writers relate best to McKay doesn't necessarily mean they're not developing other characters, IMO. I doubt TPTB are unaware SGA has an ensemble cast, and there are at least three or four episodes every season focused on folks who are not McKay. Not that the remaining episodes are all about McKay either.

Hope you don't mind me asking, but I'm curious as to whether you like McKay. Is it possible you feel McKay is overused partly because his presence grates on you and means less of your favorite character(s) rather than an objective measure of screentime or what his role is? The converse of folks generally wanting more of what they like, I suppose. No offense.
    The fact is I think I am a verb instead of a personal pronoun. A verb is anything that signifies to be, to do, or to suffer. I signify all three.

Comment

Originally posted by Cautious Explorer View Post
      McKay is the weakest link in the sense that he's a crutch for the writers' laziness, self-absorption, whatever you want to call it.

They have admitted that McKay is easiest to write for, easiest to identify with. Rather than strectch their range, put some effort into developing all the characters, McKay is repeatedly overused.

The same goes for storytelling. Rather than worry about complex plots that involve the entire expedition or exploration of the Pegaus Galaxy, it's far easier to write a buddy episode short on plot but full of McKay and Sheppard banter. Why worry about how to resolve a situation when it's so convenient to have McKay discover a scientific miracle to save the world week after week (alway within the last few minutes of the show). Who needs character development when you can just write another "everybody loves Rodney despite himself" episode, or "Rodney's lovelife gone bad" or throw in another round of "Rodney the clown".

I'd love to see McKay's screen time cut in half. Maybe it would force the writers to start thinking creatively and build up some of their forgotten characters.
      I agree with pretty much most of this. McKay in not only overused but basically tends to get the only meaninful dialogue of the episodes. He is the tpb emotional crutch and any deep or emotional scene tends to evolve around Rodney in some way, whether it's him having another epiphany, or the others angsting over him in some way. But it's the same thing over and over and sadly though, Rodney doesn't tend to even learn from his experiences. The ptb seem to think that Rodney has the widest character range I guess..and sometimes I think they love expressing themselves through him as maybe they relate to him more than the others. This does show a lack of imagination on their part, and instead of putting most of their focus into Rodney it would be nice if they could spread it around a bit.
      I don't think Rodney and Sheppard have the strongest bond either. Sheppard would do the same for any one of them as he said in Sateda. He has a strong bond with all of them and has in fact put his life on the line for all of them. But then again the Rodney and John "bond" is pretty much the only thing the writers can concentrate on at times.
      It would be nice if the writers could stop picking their easiest character to write for and started using their so called creative skills to develop the others. And if at times Rodney is not really contributing anything to the plot as in Quarantine which IMO was one of the worst Rodney episodes, then leave him out. Don't force him into a plot when he has no purpose, or just to be the comic relief. Write meaninful dialogue for all the characters and not just Rodney. Have the others go through some epiphany that has nothing to do with Rodney. The writers need to be more creative with all the characters and it would make for a more diverse and interesting show. There is rarely anything deep and meaningful on the show that doesn't have Rodney as it's focus and it's becoming extremely tiresome. The overuse and focus on Rodney is to the detriment of the other characters and to the show.
      sigpic

Comment

I am always reminded of the quote from the episode "Sunday"

Sheppard: Do you ever hang out with anyone on the base
        Ronon looks at Sheppard
        Sheppard: you know, besides me and Teyla
        Ronon: No

Ronon and McKay dont spend any time together socially and im willing to bet neither to McKay and Teyla. There is also very little evidence that McKay and Sheppard spend time together when not at work.

It is also known that Ronon, Sheppard and Teyla all spend time together outside of work. There are several examples of them all having "team" moments with Rodney no where to be seen.

Comment

Originally posted by ykickamoocow View Post
          I am always reminded of the quote from the episode "Sunday"

Sheppard: Do you ever hang out with anyone on the base
          Ronon looks at Sheppard
          Sheppard: you know, besides me and Teyla
          Ronon: No

Ronon and McKay dont spend any time together socially and im willing to bet neither to McKay and Teyla. There is also very little evidence that McKay and Sheppard spend time together when not at work.

It is also known that Ronon, Sheppard and Teyla all spend time together outside of work. There are several examples of them all having "team" moments with Rodney no where to be seen.
          I agree that McKay doesn't spend any time with Ronon and Teyla outside of work but they don't really have much in common.

But Rodney and Shep were playing that game in the episode of the same name outside of work. And they are seen playing chess together sometimes. Shep is in McKays lab playing computer games in Quarantine. And these are just off the top of my head!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by elliecat View Post
            I agree that McKay doesn't spend any time with Ronon and Teyla outside of work but they don't really have much in common.
            Neither did Teal'c and Carter but i always got the impression that they were very good friends.

Comment

Neither did Teal'c and Carter but i always got the impression that they were very good friends.
              So did I, but they didn't hang out together outside of work much either.

Rodney is socially inept and Sheppard is a bit of a dork so they get on ok, talking about superheroes etc. There is a gap between Rodney and Teyla/Ronon but I think with Ronon at least it's getting better imo. They seem to have a happy banter going on between them now, like in Tao of Rodney. And Rodney is not very good at talking to women so maybe that's why him and Teyla don't seem to gel too much. (plus she is far more mature than Rodney and probably just doesn't 'get' him!)

Rodney is that kind of character that most people either love or hate (I love him ). I would agree that he doesn't hang out with Ronon or Teyla but he does with Sheppard. He may not be best mates with R and T but I do think they all respect each other when it comes down to it.
              sigpic

Comment

I haven't got a clue how some people could ship McKay/Teyla, as they don't even have scenes together... Not one nice conversation...

And him dying and trying to say goodbye to everyone doesn't count, and neither does Teyla guarding a door while McKay is working Michael's computer...

In Loving Memory of Wraithlord.

I wish I got to know you better.

Comment

Originally posted by GoSpikey View Post
                  I haven't got a clue how some people could ship McKay/Teyla, as they don't even have scenes together... Not one nice conversation...
                  I can count the amount of scene Teyla and McKay have had alone on 1 hand which is kind of sad considering Atlantis has been going for 80 episodes.

McKay has also had very little scenes with Ronon and the only episodes i can think of where they spent time together are "Allies" in season 2, "No Man's Land" in season 3 and "Tao of Rodney" which was also in season 3. Three episodes in 58 episodes (the amount of episodes since Ronon was introduced) is also not very good.

Comment

Originally posted by bluealien
                    McKay in not only overused but basically tends to get the only meaninful dialogue of the episodes. He is the tpb emotional crutch and any deep or emotional scene tends to evolve around Rodney in some way, whether it's him having another epiphany, or the others angsting over him in some way.
                    Okay, this is simply not true. No offense. I'd be willing to concede that McKay gets the most lines, quantitatively speaking. He talks the fastest of all the characters and usually gets saddled with lengthy technobabble exposition whenever there's fake science to be done. He monopolizes the only meaningful dialogue? Any deep or emotional scenes? I think you're distorting or ignoring the facts here. Such a gross exaggeration doesn't help your argument at all, if you ask me.
                    I don't think Rodney and Sheppard have the strongest bond either. Sheppard would do the same [cf. "Miller's Crossing"] for any one of [his team] as he said in Sateda. He has a strong bond with all of them and has in fact put his life on the line for all of them.
                    Interesting point. My original analysis of the Sheppard-McKay relationship was more from McKay's point of view. That is, of his three team members, I think McKay feels the most attached to Sheppard. Not to say he doesn't care for Teyla and Ronon, too. Rather, Sheppard has a special place in McKay's world, IMO, because in a lot of ways his friendship with Sheppard made Rodney a better man. Or at least braver and more selfless in the face of certain doom, lol. Sheppard no doubt opened up new, wondrous vistas for Rodney, both professional and personal, when he drafted McKay for the flagship team, and I figure you can't help but form a lasting connection to someone who has that much of an impact on your life.

While I believe Sheppard fully reciprocates McKay's friendship, he has similarly deep and strong bonds with Teyla, Ronon, and I'd argue the Atlantis expedition as a whole. He'd do anything for any of those, I agree. Actually, this concept of a relationship being scaled differently depending on which end you're on reminds me of GW's January 2008 interview with Christopher Heyerdahl and how Sheppard's more important to the then-unnamed Todd than vice versa. Could be said that Sheppard's in much the same position with his entire team, in fact. He was the first to extend friendship to Teyla in "Rising" and later led the mission that rescued her from the Wraith; I bet Sheppard was the reason why she initially chose to help the Atlanteans on a long-term basis and sort of the human embodiment of her hopes for Pegasus's future. Though her view of him became a great deal less idealistic in "Letters From Pegasus." Likewise, Sheppard put an end to Ronon's running days and offered him a place to belong in Atlantis, no strings attached.

So, in a way, Sheppard might be the key transformative relationship for all three of his team members. Whereas he may consider them to all be equally dear, they may not feel the same given a choice between him and others. Well. Theory still needs work.
                    [If] at times Rodney is not really contributing anything to the plot as in Quarantine which IMO was one of the worst Rodney episodes, then leave him out. Don't force him into a plot when he has no purpose, or just to be the comic relief.
                    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but "Quarantine" featured a number of characters who contributed nothing to the plot. Why object to McKay in particular? Sure, his part was comedic at times. However, I felt the hanging issue of his relationship with Katie Brown was also addressed. Doesn't that serve the purpose of character development? It's another matter altogether if you feel McKay simply doesn't need any more screentime, period, IMO.

Personally, I don't mind McKay occasionally being tapped for humor. He is an integral member of the flagship team and Atlantis in general; I expect him to be out and about. I figure if he's comic relief, that's an opportunity for somebody else to save the day. Isn't that basically what the other characters do?

As for whether McKay spends time with Ronon and Teyla off the clock, though it's not explicitly shown, I'd argue the team routinely eats together and Sheppard likely continues the "Hide and Seek" tradition of movie nights if Ronon's ever growing familiarity with Earth pop culture is anything to go by. What's more, all four go out on far more missions than are featured in episodes. These aren't exactly your typical 9-to-5 shifts at the office. More like off-world vacations with intermittent running for your life, lol. Both aspects would tend to encourage friendships beyond the mere workplace acquaintances we're familiar with, IMO.
                    The fact is I think I am a verb instead of a personal pronoun. A verb is anything that signifies to be, to do, or to suffer. I signify all three.

Comment

I can count the amount of scene Teyla and McKay have had alone on 1 hand which is kind of sad considering Atlantis has been going for 80 episodes.

McKay has also had very little scenes with Ronon and the only episodes i can think of where they spent time together are "Allies" in season 2, "No Man's Land" in season 3 and "Tao of Rodney" which was also in season 3. Three episodes in 58 episodes (the amount of episodes since Ronon was introduced) is also not very good.
                      I agree that the interaction between Teyla / Rodney is minimal. I felt though that season 3 seemed to address this a lot more than season 4. but then season 4 was pretty hard for RT and i think that was why we didnt see them together. though what reasons there were for showing no Rodney/Ronan moments i cant think of.

Weakest Link has to equal the writting - say what you want about characters but they are only products of whats written on a page. actors can inject there emotions but i would think it would have to fit into what the writters etc want to show on the screen.

sad sigh
                      sigpic
                      banner by Pandoras-box

Comment

» Keller is the weakest link, not Rodney. Rodney has cast chemistry which Keller does not, and that's a big enough mark in mty book

Comment

Keller has cast chemistry.

Comment

Rodney McKay - The Weakest link
                            I think of McKay as Humanity's weak link. I sometimes imagine just how easy it would be for the Wraith to wipe out the Tau'ri by just killing McKay. The reason for this is that so many of our victories over the Wraith can be attributed to McKay's scientific genius rather than military power.

Comment

mckay isnt the weakest link. hes one of the strongest. its why sga is sga and not sg1

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                                mckay isnt the weakest link. hes one of the strongest. its why sga is sga and not sg1
                                I won't disagree that he's one way that SGA differs from SG-1, but he's hardly the only one.

I don't care much for SG-1; loved SGA (until s4 - hope to love it again in s5). I'm not a big McKay fan. I'm watching for Sheppard, Teyla, Ronon, Carson, Zelenka, Lorne.

Comment

Working...
                                X