X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SGA - Clique Clack: Guide to the mid-season schedule:

At Clique Clack:

(Please follow the link to view the complete guide in its proper format.)

It’s CliqueClack’s guide to the mid-season schedule

Posted by Richard Keller

December 17, 2008

Back in the day — sometime before the turn of the century — the end of the first half of the fall season really didn’t mean too much in the land of television. Yes, some shows left the air or moved to other time slots. Okay, maybe one or two (maybe three) new programs would premiere to fill some openings. For the most part, things remained the same both before and after Christmas. I mean, all of the shows that the popular kids watched premiered in the fall.

Well, Bucky, that’s not the way it works anymore, is it?

Fact of the matter is, there is no such thing as a “mid-season” schedule anymore; there is a fall season and a winter season. The fall season gives us about 60% to 75% of our favorite shows until December. The winter schedule gives us American Idol, 24, Lost and everything else. At least that’s what it seems like. Because of these three shows, the networks rip apart their fall schedules and scientifically rearrange them (translation: throw them into the air and see where they fall). By the time you turn on your television after recovering from your New Year’s Eve hangover, the schedule is barely recognizable.

That’s why we here at CliqueClack are providing you with your 2009 Winter Schedule (mid-season) listings. It features a listing when shows will be returning, when some will be going away, and how many hours a week we’ll get to see Paula and Simon argue. There’s a lot of changes, so you’ll need to pay attention … there will be a quiz at the end of the schedule.

Before we get to the list, though, some of the boring rules:

* All times are in EST
    * New times/new networks signified with an asterisk (*)
    * Series/season premieres in bold Italic. This includes summer shows that are returning for their 2nd half of the season.
    * Season/series finales are underlined italic.
    * Shows we will likely review are colored in red, though it’s not a final list.

**snippage**

Friday, January 2nd

9:00 PM

Stargate Atlantis (SCI FI)

**snippage**

Friday, January 9th

9:00 PM

Stargate Atlantis (SCI FI) - Series Finale.

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA/SGU - TV Squad: All Mike wants for Festivus:

At TV Squad:

(Please follow the link for the complete article.)

All Mike wants for Festivus

Posted Dec 18th 2008 1:11PM by Mike Moody

I still haven't figured out how to display my "feats of physical strength" in this post, so let's just get to the annual Festivus airing of grievances.

First off, like everyone else around here, I'm disappointed by NBC's decision to give fans of hour-long dramas the finger. You want me to watch Leno on primetime five nights a week, NBC? Do you really hate me that much? Second, I'm saddened by Sci Fi Channel's decision to cancel Stargate Atlantis, my favorite guilty pleasure. Third, I got it in for you, America! Thanks a lot for not making Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles the hit it deserves to be.

There's more -- trust me there's more -- but here at TV Squad we also celebrate Festivus by sharing our TV wish list. This year, I'm wishing for:

... * David Hewlett's Star Crossed to actually happen, be a hit, and for Hewlett to become a household name.

... * Some more cool casting choices for Stargate Universe. Robert Carlyle's a good start. Now gimme Jason Dohring or Felicia Day.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - Total SciFi: Review - 'The Prodigal':

At Total SciFi:

(Please follow the link for the complete review.)

Posted on Thursday 18 December 2008

Stargate Atlantis: The Prodigal (season 5, episode 14)

TV episode review
        US premiere 7 November 2008 (Sci Fi Channel)

VERDICT: 4/10

... There’s never any doubt of how this episode will play out. But while a stock plot of this type can often work well if embellished with interesting character and dramatic moments, this never quite achieves either.

The episode moves incredibly slowly – it could easily have lost the pre-credits sequence (it’s lame and nothing actually happens) and probably most of the first act. Even the plot rewind-cum-recap-cum-flashback just seems to be playing with plotting for the sake of it and doesn’t add anything that couldn’t have been done better in an efficient teaser.

As it stands, it lacks excitement and fails to create enigma. At the end, I am unconvinced and almost disturbed by Teyla’s final actions. -- Brigid Cherry

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - TV Squad: All Rich wants for Festivus:

At TV Squad:

All Rich wants for Festivus

Posted Dec 18th 2008 7:32PM by Richard Keller

I was looking at my last two Festivus wish lists in an attempt to determine if any of my requests came true. Turns out, many of them did come to fruition -- something that I'm damn proud of. Sadly, a new sitcom for Dustin "Screech" Diamond did not materialize. Oh well, maybe that will occur sometime next season when, after coming out of a trance, the NBC executives realize they made a terrible mistake putting Jay Leno on at 10:00 pm and need something to fill the empty space.

Now, without further ado, let me put down the aluminum rod for a bit and talk about my Festivus wish list for the upcoming year.

... * Some closure to Eli Stone, Stargate Atlantis and ER: Yeah, yeah...I know I was the one who asked why series finales have to be so final. So, why the hell do I want some sort of closure for these three shows? A bit of selfishness on my part, to be honest. These are three of my favorite programs and, while I still think the episodes should stand as platforms to future stories we will never see, there should also be closure for some storylines ...

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - Total SciFi: Review - 'Remnants':

At Total SciFi:

(Please follow the link for the complete review.)

Posted on Friday 19 December 2008

Stargate Atlantis: Remnants (season 5, episode 15)

TV episode review
            US airdate 14 November 2008 (Sci Fi Channel)

VERDICT: 5/10

**snippage**

The second recurring villain in two weeks gets to reprise their role before the programme comes to an end. This time it is the turn of Robert Davi as the Genii commander Kolya.

This is a much more interesting reprise than Michael’s in the previous episode, and although he is still an over-the-top gloating villain, Davi obviously has much more fun with the role. The episode is once again let down by a slow opening and somewhat stilted teaser – and it almost seems that the writers (Joseph Mallozzi and Paul Mullie) are aware of the clichés being turned out with irony-tinged lines such as “it’s crap”, “it’s pointless”, and “it should have ended six minutes ago”. Whether this is deliberate or not, it does add some (possibly unintended) amusement to the episode before the plot heats up.

It turns out, in fact, to be a neat and intriguing, if predictable, little story – a great idea, but let down by weak set-up and somewhat lame execution. An effective engagement with big ethical questions all the same. -- Brigid Cherry

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Vegas

http://www.sfuniverse.com/2008/12/19...tlantis-vegas/

EXCERPT:

Did I mention that I have a DVD of this episode in my hot little hands? I’ll have a teaser review for you soon of this and the series finale (sob). You wouldn’t want me to give too much away now, would you?

SPOILER-RIDDEN article with photos at link above

Comment

SGA - TV Squad: On the 5th day of Festivus, TV gave to me...:

At TV Squad:

(Please follow the link for the complete column.)

On the 5th day of Festivus, TV gave to me...

... five canceled shows.

Posted Dec 19th 2008 1:01PM by Mike Moody

Some shows, like critical darlings The Shield and Battlestar Galactica, are allowed to end gracefully; major story arcs are wrapped up and fans are left satisfied. Others are yanked from network schedules like unsightly weeds from a rose garden.

The networks yanked a number of shows off the air this season. Most of them, like The Ex List, probably deserved the axe, but there were four that deserved more time to develop an audience and one that I'm really gonna miss. In no particular order, they are:

5. Stargate Atlantis, Sci Fi Channel: The current fifth season of the Stargate: SG-1 spin-off has been one of its best yet. At least it's going out on a high note.

I'm always charmed by the show's fun tone and the obvious cast camaraderie that makes its way on screen. Atlantis is one of the only shows on the air that recycles old sci-fi clichés but somehow remains surprising, fresh and fun with almost every ep. It's well-written, engaging and quality light sci-fi, not fluff like Flash Gordon. Plus, it's one of the few sci-fi shows airing on the so-called Sci-Fi Channel.

Five seasons might seem like a good run for a show, but SG-1 lasted 10 years. I was hoping Atlantis would at least make it to six or seven, especially with the recent addition of Robert Picardo to the cast. Thankfully, the franchise will continue with TV movies and the upcoming Stargate Universe. The final episode of Stargate Atlantis airs January 9.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - Las Vegas Advisor: 'Vegas':

From the Las Vegas Advisor's David Mckee's Stiffs & Georges blog:

(Please follow the link for the complete blog update.)

Last-minute reminder: The final episode, "Vegas" of Stargate Atlantis -- partly shot on the Strip -- airs tonight at 9 p.m. Eastern and Pacific. I'm just sayin'.

[NOTE: I left a comment advising that Vegas airs Jan 2.)

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Can you also leave a note that Vegas is not the final episode of SGA
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                      Can you also leave a note that Vegas is not the final episode of SGA
                      Yes, I can included that as well!

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SG1/SGA - Associated Content: SciFi Channel: 3 of the Best Shows for '08:

At Associated Content:

SciFi Channel: Three of the Best Shows for 2008

OMG! Can You Say Battlestar Galactica, Stargate Atlantis & Sancturary

By Judith Allison, published Nov 30, 2008

When it comes to science fiction and the SciFi channel, there are mediocre shows, good shows and really great shows. I think that the SciFi channel subscribes to the notion that you need all levels of writing in order to find the really great, OMG, that was awesome, must watch again and again series. In that arena falls three shows for 2008, but before I get to those, I must mention one really great show that ran for 10 years and will remain the all time great shows besides Star Trek. That show is Stargate SG-1. In its long run, it introduced us to worlds, realms and ideas that made us pause, gasp and laugh. It stands, in my opinion, as one of those shows that becomes part of pop culture and will remain a memory of a really great science fiction television show.

In 2008, I loved three other SciFi channel entrants: Stargate Atlantis, Battlestar Galactica and Sanctuary. These three shows presented unique characters, universes that were populated by villains and heroes and an overall plotline that made for great fiction and memorable televisions shows.

Stargate Atlantis followed the trials and tribulations of a Stargate team including Col. John Sheppard, Dr. Rodney McKay, Teyla Emmagen and Ronan Dex. There were peripheral characters, but at the heart of the really good plots were these four characters. This show has been around for five seasons, and in that time, we have been treated to the adventures and misadventures of a Stargate crew that went to find backup and weapons for their troubles in our galaxy by going to the Pegasus galaxy. It was, at first, considered a one-way trip. This spin-off of Stargate SG-1 is both entertaining and fun to watch. The characters are memorable in small ways as well as large. The character of Dr. Rodney McKay has long stolen the spotlight in the fact that he's so unlike a larger-than-life hero - he has foibles, whines a bit and is not your standard good looking sod. He's cute and pudgy, and he can give you a headache. While I didn't like him much at first, he's become a person that is so human in his uniqueness that he's as much fun to watch as the lead male character, Lt. Col. John Sheppard. Sheppard is everything that Rodney is not - brave, stalwart, hero-like. However, together the two of them make for fun adventures, and there's a friendship and mutual respect you wouldn't ordinarily attribute to these two character types. It's one of the things that make this show so much fun to watch.

**snippage**

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Stargate Atlantis - MGM Stargate: Behind-The-Scenes: Infection:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....67&postcount=1

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - Atlanta Journal-Constitution: Biggest TV stories of the year:

At the Atlanta Journal-Constitution (Atlanta, GA):

12/23: Biggest TV stories of the year

By Rodney Ho | Tuesday, December 23, 2008
                            The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

A writers’ strike. The continued rise of the DVR. Cable’s growth. NBC’s troubles. An historic election year. TV had a busy 12 months.

Locally, Atlanta’s Tyler Perry solidifed his home at TBS by signing on a second sitcom. An Athens writer created BET’s first ever sitcom. And some reality show called “Real Housewives of Atlanta” brought home ratings riches for Bravo (if not necessarily the housewives themselves.)

Here’s a quick year in review of 2008, TV style:

**snippage**

Cable keeps on getting bigger. While broadcast viewership is mostly dropping off, viewers keep on flocking to cable. USA (with the likes of “The Starter Wife” and “Monk”), SciFi (with “The Ghost Hunters” and “Stargate: Atlantis”) and Bravo (home to “Top Chef” and “Real Housewives”) all reported record ratings.

**snippage**

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

http://scifi.about.com/od/tvnewsandp...eturnDates.htm

Where Shows Left Off

excerpt:

Stargate Atlantis returns for its last two episodes ever on Jan. 2 on Sci Fi.
                              Where we left off: What's relevant for the last stories is that Shepard kept
                              a bargain with Todd the Wraith and allowed him to leave Atlantis to seek a
                              cure for the illness that destroyed his entire hive.

MORE AT LINK ABOVE

Comment

SGA - PC Pro (UK): Most Illegally Downloaded Shows in 2008:

At PC Pro (London, UK):

(Please follow the link for the complete article. SGA season two photo at the site.)

Entertainment industry? Heads in sand? Still? Surely not.

December 24th, 2008 David Bayon

Want to know the most illegally downloaded TV show of 2008? It was Lost with 5.73-million downloads per episode, which across its four seasons makes for an astonishing number. Heroes and Prison Break complete a blockbuster top three, but it’s the show at number 6 on the pirate list that is most surprising.

Stargate Atlantis is rubbish. This is a fact. This one single photo should tell you just how rubbish it is, but if it doesn’t, well, let me tell you: It’s rubbish. Really.

But the real eye-opener is not that people like it, it’s that in 2008 more people downloaded each episode from torrent sites worldwide than watched it on TV in America. While the big shows mentioned above still roped in vastly more TV viewers than downloaders, Stargate Atlantis tipped over the edge.

Why this show? Well, by the look of the various fan sites and forums out there it’s globally popular, but that popularity isn’t necessarily respected by the publishers and networks. Complaints come from New Zealand, Europe, even as close to the US as Canada; there’s a long wait between the show airing in the US and making its way abroad, so it’s inevitable that these fans will look elsewhere for their fix.

The primary reason most TV downloaders do so is not to steal or to fight back at the big corporations, it’s simply that they want to watch a TV show right now and downloading it is usually the easiest way. And it’s an argument I’m increasingly coming round to.

**snippage**

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Working...
                                X