X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SGA - The Hachiko: Review - 'Brain Storm':

At The Hachiko:

(The review author rated this episode with a 3.5 out of 5. Please follow the link for the complete review.)

'Stargate Atlantis' (5.16) "Brain Storm" - Review

Mon, 11/24/2008 - 11:02 — Vrej Hezaran

Bill Nye the Science Guy? Neil DeGrasse Tyson? Dave Foley?

Even though I am a bona fide geek (yes, it's true), I'm not too lost in my geekdom to enjoy things that are entertaining. Many other geeks require strict, almost religious, adherence to canon and continuity to their fiction, so much so that they're not watching their so-called favorite shows for pleasure, but instead for the chance to catch the show in an act of heresy. Nothing pleases geeks more than a show breaking its rules so that the "fan" can rail against what they claim to like. This episode, Brain Storm, seems to me to be tailor made to raise the hackles of the humorless fan. I, for one, enjoyed it thoroughly. It was an episode unlike any other, taking us far away from the insulated life of Atlantis and thrusting certain characters into a situation unlike any we've seen on the show.

The plot this week has McKay mustering up the courage to ask Keller to go as his date to attend a super secret presentation at a mysterious science complex in the middle of an unknown desert on Earth. A former rival of McKay's, Tunney (played by the Kids in the Hall and Newsradio great Dave Foley, looking pretty unhealthy these days), unveils a plan to vent excess heat from this space/time to an alternate space/time by using a space/time bridge. McKay is outraged. Why? Because the idea is stolen from his top-secret research. It appears Tunney had some government contracts that allowed him access to McKay's work. Even though Tunney had no clue it was McKay's, he stole the idea and tried to make a few bucks off it, with the backing of a large company. McKay begs him to turn it off and, after being convinced of the danger, Tunney tries to do just that, but the bridge won't collapse. Meanwhile, the security protocols won't allow anyone to leave the facility and the bridge is sucking heat out of the place. Add to that random bolts of so-called freeze-lightning and everyone is convinced they will die. By the end, McKay devised a plan to try to open a second bridge to overwhelm the system, thereby shutting down the initial one. The day is saved, and so is Keller, and they then proceed to get busy in a private jet.

**snippage**
    Last edited by morjana; 24 November 2008, 12:39 PM.

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - Discover Magazine: Stargate Atlantis: Herding Physicists:

At Discover Magazine:

Stargate Atlantis: Herding Physicists

Friday night’s episode of Stargate Atlantis featured the show’s resident genius physicist, Rodney McKay, making a visit to an elaborate scientific presentation conducted by an old rival. Because McKay is, well, McKay, he thinks this is the ideal setting for a first date with Atlantis’s doctor Jennifer Keller (Firefly fans will recognize Jewel Staite in the role). McKay runs into a whole bunch of frenemies at the presentation, including hilarious cameos by the American Museum of Natural History’s Neil de Grasse Tyson (who has been name checked before on Atlantis) and Bill “The Science Guy” Nye.

**snippage**

In any case, many times in fiction, scientists (of whatever discipline) are portrayed as somewhat otherworldly, sometimes even saintly, figures, nobly pursuing knowledge and untainted by pettiness. But scientists are human beings too. In showing a group of status-conscious individuals capable of taking great offense at the smallest slight, albeit in an exaggerated manner (dismissive putdowns during audience Q&A is more likely than outright shouting) Atlantis get points for its scientific realism.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - TV Squad: What Mike and Rich are thankful for:

(Please follow the links for the complete columns.)

At TV Squad:

What Rich is thankful for

ComicCon: The lines were long, the rooms were huge, and the food was expensive, but I am extremely grateful that I had an opportunity to attend this year's ComicCon. True, I had to sit through four hours of panels I was uninterested in just to see the cast of Stargate Atlantis, but I got to see the cast of Stargate Atlantis in person. Will I go in 2009? Well, if TV Squad is interested then so am I.

What Mike is thankful for

I'm also thankful for the return of 30 Rock, The Office, The Daily Show's election coverage, and the final goofy season of Stargate Atlantis.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - Alt SciFi: Review - 'Brain Storm':

At Alt SciFi:

(Please follow the link for the complete review.)

Stargate Atlantis: Brain Storm Review

by David Peralty on November 24, 2008

Dr. Rodney McKay and Dr. Jennifer Keller deepen their relationship, and if I didn’t know that this was a television show, I’d say that they were really involved as they have such great on screen chemistry. Dr. Keller leads the relationship as McKay stumbles about in inviting her to a science event on Earth.

**snippage**

In the end, Rodney ends up having to save Dr. Keller and in doing so, they strengthen their relationship immensely, and of course everything works out for the best. There isn’t much to say in the synopsis, as much of the episode feels like filler in an attempt to drive up suspense.

I give Stargate Atlantis: Brain Storm a 2.5 out of 5.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - Total SciFi: Review - 'Outsiders':

At Total SciFi:

Posted on Thursday 27 November 2008

Stargate Atlantis: Outsiders (season 5, episode 12)

TV episode review
            US premiere 17 October 2008 (Sci Fi Channel)

VERDICT: 7/10

**snippage**

So after the plot-laden mid-season two-parter, along comes a total scaling back in scope and pace. This episode brings an agreeably refreshing change of pace and a well-constructed emphasis on theme rather than story to the proceedings.

**snippage**

To lighten the mood and provide some comic relief, Rodney and Carson get to do their old double act as they are captured and then escape from the Hive ship. Although it doesn’t really do anything original, it’s an altogether well-rounded and focused episode. -- Brigid Cherry

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - DigiGuide (UK): 'Brain Storm' Dec 2 '08:

At DigiGuide (UK):

Tuesday 2nd December 2008

Stargate Atlantis: Brain Storm, Sky1, 8:00pm

The sterling sci-fi drama continues. Dr Rodney McKay (David Hewlett) reluctantly returns to Earth to witness the triumphs of an old school "friend". A bitter rival in the grey matter stakes, Malcolm Tunney is a far from modest man who possesses an ego of epic proportions.

Bringing Dr Jennifer Keller (Jewel Staite), along as his date, Rodney looks on as Tunney announces his landmark scientific breakthrough, unveiling a weather device that promises to extinguish the threat of global warming.

His demonstration certainly stirs up a storm. The proverbial hits the fan when the invention malfunctions and goes horribly awry. In a battle of the brains, can McKay save the day?

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Stargate Atlantis - MGM Stargate: Video: Behind the Scenes of The Prodigal:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....30&postcount=1

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - MGM Stargate: 'Infection' Synopsis:

At MGM Stargate:

Episode 17 - Infection (preview)

Original air date: December 5, 2008

Atlantis receives a distress signal from a hive ship and discovers that all the Wraith on board have placed themselves in stasis, the victims of a lethal affliction.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SG1/SGA - TV on DVD: TV Stars I'd Share Thanksgiving Dinner With:

At the San Francisco's Examiner TV on DVD (San Francisco, A):

(Please follow the link for the complete column.)

TV Stars with whom I would like to share Thanksgiving dinner

November 25, 11:12 AM

by John Stahl, TV on DVD Examiner

**snippage**

My knowledge and love of the Stargate series and the Comic Con panel about which I have written previously put Richard Dean Anderson and Ben Browder of "Stargate: SG-1" and Joe Flanagan of "Stargate: Atlantis" at the top of the list. These gentlemen show great humor in their acting and personal appearances, and I would love to learn more behind the scenes secrets about these extraordinary shows.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - Sci Fi Chicks: Review - 'Brain Storm':

At the Sci Fi Chicks:

http://www.scifichicks.com/2008/11/3...s-brain-storm/

Stargate Atlantis: “Brain Storm”

Posted on November 30th, 2008 by Sandy

**snippage**

As silly as it sounds, the plot actually held together very well and was able to fill up an episode all by itself. Which is fortunate because there was no B plot, except for one blink-and-you’ll-miss-it scene where Sheppard and Ronon were taking off for a few days of camping and surfing on the mainland back in Atlantis. There was plenty of action and peril, some character development, and even some geek humor, as Tunney’s other guests included Bill Nye (The Science Guy) and astrophysicist (and PBS series host) Neil deGrasse Tyson interacting with McKay as though they were colleagues.

Where the episode fell down was in its execution. I’ve been getting the feeling lately that the writers over at Stargate Atlantis are just killing time until they can start work on Stargate Universe. They certainly don’t seem to be putting as much effort into the show they currently have on the air as they have in the past. Early in the episode, one of the freeze rays hit one of the attendees and froze half of him solid. Why the shock of that didn’t kill him outright I don’t know, but it would’ve been better if it had. As it was, writer Martin Gero had Keller examine the victim briefly and announce that he was in bad shape, before never checking up on or mentioning him again. As the only medical doctor in attendance, shouldn’t she have been keeping an eye on the patient instead of following her boyfriend around and criticizing his people skills?

Later, when the force shield collapsed, the intense cold of the facility came into contact with the hot air of the desert and immediately spawned three strong tornadoes. I wish I were making that up. Because you know what spawns tornadoes? Thunderstorms. You know what causes strong tornado-spawning thunderstorms? Cold, dry air meeting warm, moist air. You know what happens when cold, dry air meets warm, dry air? A breeze. I might be willing to buy that desert air converging on a single focal point from every direction might result in enough of an updraft to spawn a dust devil, but it would not generate a thunderstorm, let alone three tornadoes. If Gero had spent five minutes on Google, he would’ve known that.

**snippage**

And there’s my problem. Tornadoes and hypothermia aren’t exotic SF inventions like the matter bridge. The science behind them is fairly common knowledge, especially in regions of the country that have the potential to experience them the most. Gero obviously didn’t spend the minimal amount of time necessary to look up some very basic facts about his very major plot points. Why? Does he not care anymore and is just passing time until he can start writing for Stargate Universe? Does he think the audience doesn’t care anymore, either? Or, worse, does he think the audience is too stupid to notice? I wound up feeling so insulted by the lack of even minimal care being put into the script that it overshadowed the rest of what was basically a fun episode.

If the episode’s own writer can’t be bothered to care about it, why should I?

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by morjana View Post
                        SGA - Sci Fi Chicks: Review - 'Brain Storm':

At the Sci Fi Chicks:

http://www.scifichicks.com/2008/11/3...s-brain-storm/

Stargate Atlantis: “Brain Storm”

Posted on November 30th, 2008 by Sandy

**snippage**

As silly as it sounds, the plot actually held together very well and was able to fill up an episode all by itself. Which is fortunate because there was no B plot, except for one blink-and-you’ll-miss-it scene where Sheppard and Ronon were taking off for a few days of camping and surfing on the mainland back in Atlantis. There was plenty of action and peril, some character development, and even some geek humor, as Tunney’s other guests included Bill Nye (The Science Guy) and astrophysicist (and PBS series host) Neil deGrasse Tyson interacting with McKay as though they were colleagues.

Where the episode fell down was in its execution. I’ve been getting the feeling lately that the writers over at Stargate Atlantis are just killing time until they can start work on Stargate Universe. They certainly don’t seem to be putting as much effort into the show they currently have on the air as they have in the past. Early in the episode, one of the freeze rays hit one of the attendees and froze half of him solid. Why the shock of that didn’t kill him outright I don’t know, but it would’ve been better if it had. As it was, writer Martin Gero had Keller examine the victim briefly and announce that he was in bad shape, before never checking up on or mentioning him again. As the only medical doctor in attendance, shouldn’t she have been keeping an eye on the patient instead of following her boyfriend around and criticizing his people skills?

Later, when the force shield collapsed, the intense cold of the facility came into contact with the hot air of the desert and immediately spawned three strong tornadoes. I wish I were making that up. Because you know what spawns tornadoes? Thunderstorms. You know what causes strong tornado-spawning thunderstorms? Cold, dry air meeting warm, moist air. You know what happens when cold, dry air meets warm, dry air? A breeze. I might be willing to buy that desert air converging on a single focal point from every direction might result in enough of an updraft to spawn a dust devil, but it would not generate a thunderstorm, let alone three tornadoes. If Gero had spent five minutes on Google, he would’ve known that.

**snippage**

And there’s my problem. Tornadoes and hypothermia aren’t exotic SF inventions like the matter bridge. The science behind them is fairly common knowledge, especially in regions of the country that have the potential to experience them the most. Gero obviously didn’t spend the minimal amount of time necessary to look up some very basic facts about his very major plot points. Why? Does he not care anymore and is just passing time until he can start writing for Stargate Universe? Does he think the audience doesn’t care anymore, either? Or, worse, does he think the audience is too stupid to notice? I wound up feeling so insulted by the lack of even minimal care being put into the script that it overshadowed the rest of what was basically a fun episode.

If the episode’s own writer can’t be bothered to care about it, why should I?
                        May I say a massive ITA to this reviewer? Gero should try googling hypothermia too.
                        sigpic

Comment

Being a member of GW for a year now I should know this but what does ITA mean?
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

ITA
                            I Totally Agree

AFAIK
                            As Far As I Know
                            Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Comment

I still haven't seen BS...

The room that holds the episode, let's call it, would cause me hypothermia too, were I to spend 43 minutes in there, watching it.

I'll only do that for Todd.

In Loving Memory of Wraithlord.

I wish I got to know you better.

Comment

SGA - Alex Levine Blog Update Dec 1 '08 for 'Infection':

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....9&postcount=84

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Working...
                                X