X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SGA - Fantasy Magazine: Crossing Lines: There’s No “I” In Team:

At Fantasy Magazine:

(Please follow the link for the complete article.)

Crossing Lines: Stargate Atlantis — There’s No “I” In Team

by Naamen Gobert Tilahun

Thursday, November 13th, 2008

One of the strengths of the final season of Stargate Atlantis so far has been the focus on the team. In the episodes: “Whispers”, “The Queen”, “Trackers”, “First Contact” (Part 1) & “The Lost Tribe” (Part 2) that strength has been tossed with questionable results to say the least.

“Whispers” introduces us to an all-female Stargate Team we’ve never met before - Major Anne Teddy (Christina Cox), Sergeant “Dusty” Mehra (Janina Gavankar), Captain Alicia Vega (Leela Savasta) and Dr. Alison Porter (Nicole de Boer) who are accompanied by John Sheppard and Carson Beckett on a visit to a planet where one of Michael’s early research facilities lies. Although I must say I enjoyed the inclusion of an all-female team in the Stargate universe and they were all fantastic in their roles it felt a bit “too little, too late” for my tastes. Some of us have been complaining about the roles of women and People of Color on the show since the beginning and to finally do something in the last season seems more patronizing than anything else. ‘Cause it’s not like we’ll get to see them again. Despite all that, Sgt. “Dusty” Mehra may be my favorite one episode character ever on the show, her propensity for violence and sarcastic attitude were great and really show what they could have done had they been invested in portraying Women of Color in a more interesting light from the beginning.

**snippage**

The next episode “The Queen” is my favorite of this lot. It focuses on Teyla, who we don’t get a lot of focus on in general, undergoing a procedure to make her look and sound like a Wraith Queen. All of this so that she can masquerade as the Queen of their Wraith ally Todd’s hive to try and convince the Queen of Queens, the Primary to allow them to alter the DNA of all Wraith so they won’t have to feed on humans anymore. Yeah, about genetically modifying the Wraith? You would think that the Atlantis team would have learned their lesson after their previous experimentation unleashed one of their most persistent enemies yet. But the leaders of Atlantis seem to have a big hard-on for experimentation, they’re just lucky there’s no ERB (Ethical Review Board) in the Pegasus galaxy.

**snippage**

Then we have the midseason finale cliffhanger episode “First Contact” – although the gap between the first ten episodes and the last ten this season was so small compared to previous seasons that there was actually very little suspense built up at all. I think the reason we were all supposed to care about this two-parter was the appearance of Daniel Jackson. I need to confess something at this juncture - I am not a Daniel Jackson fan. He has his moments don’t get me wrong but mostly I find him arrogant and annoying. Anyway Daniel Jackson shows up looking for the secret lab of some Ancient scientist, Janus. He and McKay find the lab and trip a subspace signal that ends up with a new alien race showing up in battlesuits and kidnapping the two of them and some device.

**snippage**

All in all the season continues to decline from its pretty awesome beginnings. I can only hope the upcoming episode where Atlantis is put on trail by the Pegasus galaxy lives up to my expectations and puts us back on course.

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - DigiGuide (UK) - The Prodigal - Nov. 18 '08:

At DigiGuide (UK):

Sci-Fi

We learn more about respected businessman Arthur Petrelli before he became a megalomaniacal nutter in Heroes, things are looking dicey for Teyla in Stargate Atlantis, and there's a sci-fi classic as Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope - the first instalment of George Lucas's epic series - returns to our screens, in the revamped version.

Stargate Atlantis: Prodigal

Tuesday 18th November 2008

Can the team save Teyla?

The sterling sci-fi drama continues.

Michael and a few genetically-modified friends infiltrate Atlantis and hold Teyla Emmagan (Rachel Luttrell) hostage. Can the team get to her before it's too late?

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - MSN - Tonight's Picks Nov. 14 '08:

At MSN:

(Please follow the link to view the complete column.)

Tonight's Picks

November 14, 2008

**snippage**

Stargate Atlantis

9:00 PM, SCIFI

Woolsey (Robert Picardo) admits that he is a little worried about an upcoming performance evaluation. Later, while heading back to his quarters, he meets a new scientist on Apollo to whom he is very attracted. But the infatuation doesn't last once an I.O.C representative tells him he's being reassigned to a new position back on Earth. Meanwhile, Sheppard (Joe Flanigan) is ambushed by an old foe hell-bent on getting his identification codes.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - Yahoo! TV: Tonight's Picks Friday Nov 14 '08:

At Yahoo! TV:

(Please follow the link for the complete column.)

Tonight's Picks Nov 14 '08

Stargate: Atlantis

Friday at 9pm on Sci Fi

McKay discovers the key to a lost civilization and there's one man from Sheppard's past who'll do anything to get it. Meanwhile, Woolsey is being re-assigned to Earth just as Atlantis is again threatened.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - TV Guide Online: Episode Synopsis - 'Identity':

At TV Guide Online:

12/12/2008: Identity

Episode Detail: Identity - Stargate Atlantis

Dr. Keller suffers the ultimate form of identity theft when her strange behavior leads the team to discover that her consciousness has been switched with that of a criminal who is facing capital punishment.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Filmschoolrejects: SGA "Remnants" Review

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/tv-...5-remnants.php

Unlike most of the episodes of season five, “Remnants” doesn’t deal with the big-picture storyline. There’s nothing about the Wraith or its many adversaries. Sure, the Genii are in the episode, but it doesn’t further their story in the long run. Rather, this episode looks deeper into the characters of Sheppard, Rodney and Woolsey. Over the past five years, we’ve seen a lot of Sheppard and Rodney’s characters, but it’s nice to see Woolsey given some screen time. It’s too bad they’re ending the series at the end of this season ‘cause Woolsey could have really been made into a great character over the course of several years.

The story was a bit predictable, which for me stemmed from the fact that some pretty extreme things happen (like Sheppard losing an arm and Zelenka actually calling Rodney “brilliant”), so I was able to figure the ending out to a degree. Still, there were some elements that I didn’t predict, and it was an enjoyable character study of three of the members of the expedition.

REST AT LINK ABOVE

Comment

SGA - Sci Fi Chicks - Review - 'Remnants':

At Sci Fi Chicks:

(Please follow the link for the complete review.)

Stargate Atlantis: “Remnants”

Posted on November 15th, 2008 by Sandy

Woolsey received his performance review from the IOA, which turned out to be a disguised political ploy to replace him with someone more willing to be the IOA’s puppet. His new friend, Dr. Vanessa Conrad, helped him fight to stay on Atlantis. Sheppard accompanied a pair of scientists on an overnight trip to the mainland, which led to him surprisingly being captured and tortured by Genii commander Acastus Kolya, who Sheppard had killed in the episode “Irresponsible.” Meanwhile, a scan of the surrounding ocean had turned up a device emitting low level radiation that McKay and Zelenka were investigating.

**snippage**

“Remnants” was an interesting outside point of view on some of the main characters that would have been a tiny bit more awesome if there’d been more time to spend on the characters in addition to the plot.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - Clique Clack - Review - 'Remnants':

At Clique Clack:

(Please follow the link for the complete review. There are HD screen caps at the site.)

Stargate Atlantis - Remnants

by Brett Love

**snippage**

Of the three stories, Woolsey’s was my favorite. Robert Picardo won me over a while back, but this just added to it. He manages the line between the bumbling social interaction with someone he’s interested in, Conrad, and the political intrigue of battling for his job, very well. I especially liked the bit at the elevators where we once again see Woolsey struggling with doors. “You can call me… Dick.” Shen’s (Tamlyn Tomita) play for Woolsey’s job felt right, but I was expecting him to be a little quicker moving to fighting it after what we saw in “Inquisition.”

At the end of the day, the only real negative I have for the episode has nothing to do with what we actually saw. That old episodes-’til-it’s-over counter is awfully close to sounding the alarm, which makes me anxious for something big. With so few left, each episode takes on a little more importance, and that makes a stand alone episode, even one as well crafted as this, feel a little off. That said, still a solid entry in the Atlantis story book. And remember what your grandmother told you, “There is no Chet.”

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA (mentioned) - Business Law Examiner: 'Sin' taxes predicted to increase:

From the Business Law section of the San Francisco Examiner (San Francisco, CA):

(Please follow the link for the complete article.)

'Sin' taxes predicted to increase

November 14, 8:59 AM
                    by Matthew Nelson, Business Law Examiner

Two news stories that the ABC affiliate in Boston aired this week relate very nicely into the topics of "vices" and taxes that this page has been addressing. One reported that increases in the alcohol tax in Alaska have corresponded with decreases in the number of deaths from alcohol-related deaths. The second story reported more generally that the percentage of people in the United States who smoke has hit a new low and that higher taxes on cigarettes were a factor.

**snippage**

In a sense, most of us pay sin taxes in the form of taxes that are imposed on our cable service that generally offers junk with a few gems. The entertainment that "Stargate Atlantis" will continue providing until the SighFi channel pulls the plug and other good shows that are offered help make these sin taxes worthwhile.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - The Charlotte Observer: Stick a fork in it; these TV programs are done:

At Trading Markets, from The Charlotte Observer's Mark Washburn column (Charlotte, NC):

Stick a fork in it; these TV programs are done

Sat. November 15, 2008

"Lipstick Jungle" returns to the wild. Put an X through "The Ex-List." And "My Own Worst Enemy" never seemed to make any friends.

They are among the shows on the dead or dying list this season.

**snippage**

In cable, it's the last season for "The Shield" on FX, "Battlestar Galactica" and "Stargate Atlantis" on SciFi and "The L-Word" on Showtime.

**snippage**

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - Film.com: What 2 Watch - Friday Nov 21 '08:

At Film.com:

What2Watch: Friday, November 21, 2008

**snippage**

Friday: Stargate Atlantis (SciFi, 9 PM):

This isn't the first series you think about when it comes to stunt casting, but there's a trio of special guests this week. Dave Foley plays a wacky scientist whose weather machine creates some major issues. Bill Nye and celebrity astronomer Neil deGrasse Tyson also pop in.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - MGM Stargate - NEW Poll Nov 17 '08:

At MGM Stargate:

STARGATE POLL

Will Woolsey ever find a real girlfriend?

* He's too straight-laced.

* Most definitely!

* He'll get a new Yorkie.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - Mania: TV Wasteland week of Nov 17 '08:

At Mania:

TV Wasteland: SCI-FI Fans Like to Panic

By: Stephen Lackey
                            Date: Monday, November 17, 2008

**snippage**

Friday

STARGATE ATLANTIS (SCIFI, 9PM EST) BRAIN STORM

Doctors Keller and McKay go to Earth to witness a scientific demonstration conducted by McKay's rival, Malcolm Tunney (Dave Foley). Unfortunately, Tunney's device creates a life-threatening situation. Bill Nye guest stars.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - Access Atlanta: TV Best Bets Nov 21 '08:

At Access Atlanta (Atlanta, GA):

TV Best

By RODNEY HO
                              The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
                              Monday, November 17, 2008

**snippage**

FRIDAY

“Stargate Atlantis” 9 p.m. SciFi — Random guest star alert: Dave Foleyplays McKay’s rival. Oh, and Bill “Science Guy” Nye makes a cameo.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Remnants reviews

http://www.syfyportal.com/news425579.html

excerpt:

What Worked

Watching Sheppard go Rambo on Koyla and his men is always fun, even if we've
                                seen it before. Robert Davi is a solid bad guy, and the tension between him
                                and Flanigan almost seems real.

What Didn't Work

The AI exposition scene at the end brought things to crawl. The pace was
                                swift until then, but it picked up shortly after.

Ronon, Teyla, and Keller did little but sit around and eat breakfast in this
                                ep “ a little disappointing considering their larger roles in the last
                                episode.

REST AT LINK ABOVE

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/sc...ng-the-galaxy/

excerpt:

On Friday night’s episode of Stargate Atlantis, the Atlantis expedition discover a small pod. The pod contains biological material that can be used to replicate a sentient life-form from scratch, should the pod find a planet with the right chemical makeup to provide the raw ingredients. It also contains a cultural and technical database to educate the “Children of the Pod,” and an advanced Artificial Intelligence responsible for guiding the pod to a suitable destination and “birthing” the first generation life-forms. In the real world, with its apparently iron-clad restriction on faster than light travel, this kind of approach is actually one of the leading contenders for how human beings might colonize the galaxy.

REST AT LINK ABOVE

Comment

Working...
                                X