X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SGA - TVaholic: Mallozzi/Picardo Interview:

From TVaholic:

(Please follow the link for the complete article.)

July 9, 2008

Interview With Robert Picardo & Joseph Mallozzi of Stargate Atlantis on Sci Fi Channel - Part 1 of 3

by Jason the TVaholic

Last week, Robert Picardo and executive producer Joseph Mallozzi of Stargate Atlantis took questions from various online media outlets via conference call. It turned out to be quite the marathon call. The NBC Universal rep that was on the line, who has been part of hundreds of calls like this, said it was the longest call she could ever remember. It lasted just over 90 minutes.

I was just getting on the line at the 60-minute mark when the NBCU rep asked the moderator how many more calls were in the queue and if Robert and Joseph could answer a few more questions. They said they could and it went on for another half hour.

So, I took the line and asked three questions, as to be kind to the rest of the people waiting to get a chance to talk with them and because they were gracious enough to stick around long after the call was scheduled to be over. And, thanks to all who sent in questions. Even though I couldn’t ask all of them, I think you will find over the course of the call that someone asked many of them.

Due to the length of the interview, I decided that I would break it up into three parts and post Part 1 today, Part 2 tomorrow and Part 3 on Friday, otherwise known as the day that the fifth season of Stargate Atlantis premieres on Sci Fi. Thus, keeping you from just scrolling forever trying to read it all. As per usual, this is the full transcript minus the pleasantries and all the thank you for doing the calls, etc. Cause you don’t really need to read that 20 plus times. Now on with Part 1 of the Robert Picardo and Joseph Mallozzi interview. Enjoy!

A brief excerpt:

Questioner: Oh cool. Well Bob, I have a friend of mine who is a reporter at a Knoxville newspaper and he just wanted me to compliment you - reach you back into your stellar career in Sci-Fi, on the Amazon Women on the Moon. (Steve) absolutely loves you in that role.

Robert: Well that’s very kind. That’s the kind of credit that normally leaps off someone’s resume. And I mean, leaps off and disappears.

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - Alex Levine's SciFi Channel SGA Blog Update - 1st Season 5 Blog!:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....8&postcount=67

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - TV Guide Online: TV Guide Magazine SciFi Preview:

From TV Guide Online:

TV Guide Magazine

Ultimate Sci-Fi Preview

On the set of the new X-Files movie! Plus: From Heroes to Smallville to Stargate Atlantis and beyond, we've got the inside word on all your sci-fi faves.

(Mulder and Scully from The X-Files on the cover.)

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - Tulsa World: On TV Friday July 11 '08:

From Tulsa World (Tulsa, OK):

(Please follow the link for the complete column.)

‘STARGATE ATLANTIS’

Picking up where the season finale left o4, Col. Samantha Carter has mounted a rescue mission to save her missing team on the fifth season premiere of “Stargate Atlantis” on Friday. Fans will remember, when last seen, our heroes were racing to save a pregnant Teyla when a massive explosion rocked Michael’s secret compound. Also coming up in the opener, Col. Carter is being replaced as the leader of Atlantis, and not everyone is thrilled with her replacement. 10 p.m., Sci Fi

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - Chicago Tribune: Shows to Watch Friday July 11 '08:

From the Chicago Tribune (Chicago, IL):

Shows to watch

Compiled by Barbara Schaffner from Tribune wire reports

July 11, 2008

**snippage**

'Stargate Atlantis'
            10 p.m., Sci Fi

There's a new guy in charge, but he looks awfully familiar. Richard Woolsey (Robert Picardo) takes command of the Atlantis expedition as the series begins its fifth season. This will mean some adjustment for Sheppard, McKay, Teyla (Joe Flanigan, David Hewlett, Rachel Luttrell) and the rest of the crew. Other familiar faces who'll make appearances this season include Dr. Beckett (Paul McGillion) and Col. Carter (Amanda Tapping).

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - Eclipse Magazine: Search and Rescue Review:

From Eclipse Magazine:

(Please follow the link for the complete review.)

TELEVISION

Stargate Atlantis: Fifth Season Premiere Surprises!

July 10th, 2008 · Posted by: Sheldon A. Wiebe

Even more than its parent series, Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis has embraced the fluidity of life. Every season has had some kind of major change. By now, most Atlantis fans know of the change in command that’s coming to the returning series [Fridays, Sci Fi, 10/C], in tomorrow’s season premiere – which kind of spoils the surprise of the ep’s final seconds. Fortunately, with all the various instances of cliffhanging peril to be resolved, there’s plenty of opportunity to be surprised before then.

**snippage**

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - IGN: Stargate Atlantis: Season 5 Preview:

From IGN:

Stargate Atlantis: Season 5 Preview

Star Robert Picardo and writer Joseph Mallozzi talk.

by Tory Ireland Mell

July 10, 2008 - After five years of incredible sci-fi television Stargate Atlantis has continued to blow our minds with incredible storylines and amazing character arcs and changes. One in particular comes from IOA agent Richard Woolsey. The smarmy character has been rearing his shifty head since back in the days of SG-1, but now it looks like he is here to stay. Actor Robert Picardo (Richard Woolsey) and long time series scribe Joseph Mallozzi recently took part in a conference call to talk about season five of SGA.

A brief excerpt:

[In response to Joe Mallozzi's comments about Woolsey taking command of Atlantis from Carter]...Picardo chimed in, saying, "This is very interesting for me to listen to as well because I find out all the secret things that the executive producer has in store. I was a little worried momentarily when he mentioned -- when he made reference to a bit of a gender imbalance. I thought that by episode 20 perhaps he'd be given full reign to (pull) the feminine side -- at least that he'd be, you know, cross-dressing on the base. But I'm happy to hear that that's not in the planning."

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - Cinema Blend: Mallozzi/Picardo Interview:

From Cinema Blend:

Part One

Part Two

A brief excerpt:
                  Writing-wise, what has been the toughest episode so far for you to write this season?

Joseph Mallozzi: Right now, the one I’m working on now, “Remnants,” which really is three different stories. I mean, there’s a story involving Sheppard on the mainland. There’s a story involving Woolsey and a potential love interest, you know, in the midst of this probationary review that he’s undergoing that clearly is not - looks like it’s not going to go very well. And then there’s a third story involving McKay and Zelenka that kind of explores a bit of their friendship or some would say non-existent friendship. But I mean, there’s still that mutual respect between the two. It involves them discovering a device at the bottom of the ocean, just maybe a couple of hundred miles, you know, way from the city. And, it’s a script that jumps kind of back and forth between the three stories. As things progress, they inevitably come together and you realize that the three seemingly unrelated stories are in fact connected in a very big way.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - IGN: Search and Rescue Review:

From IGN:

(The review author rated this episode with a 8.3. Please follow the link for the complete review.)

Stargate Atlantis: "Search and Rescue" Review

Season 5 starts off in typical Stargate style -- big.

by Tory Ireland Mell

July 10, 2008 - Picking up where season four left off, members of the SGA team are trapped under tons of rubble after a booby-trap set by Michael is tripped off, causing a building to collapse on them. Sam and a rescue team are there to save the day, but are unaware that Michael is still nearby.

Not skipping a beat, the beginning of season five starts off with a bang, a couple surprises and a beautifully shot cinematic opening sequence. If you want story that will suck you into season five this episode does it, and does it well.

**snippage**

After what seemed like an eternity of a break, SGA is back! This episode has everything you need in a Stargate episode and then some. It is a great way to start of the fifth season, and from the looks of it, it is going to be a good one.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

TV Guide: SciFi Preview July 14 - 20 '08:

In this week's print TV Guide issue, week July 14 - 20 '08, the following Stargate items were included:

TABLE OF CONTENTS

* Now on TVGuide.com - Sneak Peek! Stargate Atlantis executive producer Joseph Mallozzi answers readers' burning questions

BREAKING NEWS TOP 10 (page 10)

STARGATE CHILLS IN THE ARCTIC

Talk about a cool shoot! The latest SG-1 movie, 'Stargate: Continuum,' was filmed in the Arctic, not far from the top of the world. In the DVD, out on July 29, the SG-1 team is trapped after longtime alien enemy Ba'al (Cliff Simon) travels back in time, hijacks the first Stargate and stows it away in the Arctic ice to keep it away from humanity. For what's touted as the most northern movie production ever, Amanda Tapping, Ben Browder and Richard Dean Anderson filmed at a scientific station on a moving ice floe above the Arctic circle.

"We lived in plywood boxes with kerosene heaters and chipped ice to make water," Tapping tells TV Guide. Despite the -58 degree chill that gave her "a tiny bit" of frostbite on her cheek, Tapping says, "Ben and I were so giddy about walking in this vast wasteland. We made snow angels, giggling like 6-year olds."

"It was really nice to get the gang back together," Tapping says.

Includes photo of Cam, Daniel and Sam aboard the ship Achilles.

SCI-FI PREVIEW - The Future is NOW

(pages 30-31)

Photo of Woolsey, Shep, Zelenka, Teyla and Ronon

Stargate Atlantis (Fridays, 10/9C, SciFi Channel)

With Amanda Tapping off doing Sanctuary, Col. Sam Carter is gone. That leaves the officious Richard Woolsey (Robert Picardo) in charge, and with a troublesome galactic coalition rising, Atlantis' fifth season brings lots of change. It's also a season of stellar returns, including an arc featuring dying clone Dr. Carson Beckett (Paul McGillion) thawed out to fight a plague. Alien warrior Ronon Dex (Jason Momoa) goes to the dark side after old buddy Tyre (Iron Chef America's Mark Dacascos) sells him out to the pasty-faced Wraith. Stargate SG-1's Daniel Jackson (Michael Shanks) crosses galaxies to collaborate with rival brainiac Rodney McKay (David Hewlett).

"The two of them are like the intergalactic Hardy Boys figuring out a mystery," jokes executive producer Joseph Mallozzi.

And a Vegas episode finds Lt. Col. John Sheppard (Joe Flanigan) in the midst of a CSI-like murder case.

- Ileane Rudolph

Spoiler:

SANCTUARY

NEW - (Premieres this fall, SciFi Channel)

This series, created by Damian Kindler (Stargate SG-1), was originally on the Web, and is the first to shoot almost entirely on green screen (a la "300"). It'll also use the new RED camera technology, which has four times the resolution of high-def TV. Amanda Tapping (also of Stargate) stars as 157-year old Helen Magnus, a doctor from the Victorian era who has now dedicated her life to tracking and protecting nature's strange and scary creatures.

"The public thinks these monsters are figments of the imagination - the stuff of lore and legend - but they're actually quite real," Kindler says. "We've created a world where the modern and the old collide. We'll do Jack the Ripper and some incredible mutant threat all in the same episode." - ML

HIGHLIGHTS

Friday, 7/18

STARGATE ATLANTIS 10/9C Sci Fi

The team finds pretty Dr. Jennifer Keller unconscious with a bizarre web of tendrils sticking out of her body. Always expect weirdness in Atlantis, and in this story, look for an old friend to help bring her back to normal.

COUNTDOWN by Damian Holbrook - page 68

Ten interstellar bodies of sci-fi who rock our world

Jason Momoa - Stargate Atlantis

In space, no one can hear you scream. But you sure can hear the sighs when this strapping 6-foot-4 hunk unleashes his animal magnetism as Atlantis' resident warrior, Ronon Dex. His tall, dark and hottie routine more than makes up for the 'Predator' dreads.
                      Last edited by morjana; 10 July 2008, 10:23 PM.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - Boston Herald: Steady hand for ‘Atlantis’:

From the Boston Herald (Boston, MD):

Steady hand for ‘Atlantis’

By Bill Burke

Friday, July 11, 2008

When Robert Picardo set out to become an actor, he never intended to spend 10 years in a jumpsuit.

But the ill-fitting fashion statement goes hand in hand with working steadily on two of TV’s longest-running science fiction series.

After seven years as The Doctor on “Star Trek: Voyager,” the veteran character actor now joins the regular cast of “Stargate: Atlantis” (Fridays at 10 p.m. on the Sci Fi Channel) as the show opens its fifth season.

Picardo plays the caustic Richard Woolsey, who steps in to replace Col. Samantha Carter (Amanda Tapping) as commander of the Atlantis expedition. Viewers know Woolsey from earlier appearances as a bureaucrat whose job is to “find out who screwed up and to assign blame.”

**snippage**

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - TVaholic: Picardo/Mallozzi Interview Part 2:

From TVaholic:

(Please follow the link for the complete interview.)

July 10, 2008

Interview With Robert Picardo & Joseph Mallozzi of Stargate Atlantis on Sci Fi Channel - Part 2 of 3

by Jason the TVaholic

Here is Part 2 of the Robert Picardo and Joseph Mallozzi interview. Part 1 was posted yesterday and Part 3 will be posted tomorrow. The last three questions of this part are the ones that I asked. I wanted to know about how they deal with an ever-changing cast. The other two were reader suggested. The question about Torri Higginson was the one question that was submitted by multiple people. And, now without any further ado, here is Part 2 of the Q&A.

A brief excerpt:

Question: I just - I had a couple of quick questions. I know that earlier, I think yesterday, that, you know, the Screen Actors Guild said that they don’t seem to pursuing a strike, but if there was a strike, you know, would Stargate be as immune to it as they were with the Writers Strike or is this something that might actually affect it if this were to happen?

Joseph: Oh no, it will definitely affect the show. I mean, I think, you know - the majority of our, you know, our regulars are SAG. I believe we could do the show with Zelenka and Lorn which I’m sure, you know, a lot of the fans would like but after two or three episodes, I think they will get a hankering to see our regulars.

So I mean, in response to your question - yes, I mean, a SAG strike will affect production.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - The Hatford Courant: Remote Patrol July 11 '08:

Remote Patrol

As the fifth season starts for "Stargate Atlantis" (Sci Fi, 10 p.m.), there's a lot to dig out from after last season — namely a bombed building that has collapsed, trapping some of the fleet. There are a few other explosive events before the new episode is over, including a birth and a dismissal.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - Media Blvd Magazine - Joseph Mallozzi and Robert Picardo on the new season of 'Stargate: Atlantis':

From Media Blvd Magazine:

Joseph Mallozzi and Robert Picardo on the new season of 'Stargate: Atlantis'

Friday, 11 July 2008

By Jamie Ruby

http://scifivision.com (check here for more of this article next week)

Last season Stargate Atlantis ended on a cliffhanger with the episode The Last Man, written by Joseph Mallozzi and Paul Mullie, where the team, after finally finding the location of Teyla Emmagan, played by Rachel Luttrell, is left trapped after accidentally causing a building to collapse on them, leaving fans to wonder if they survived. The story will continue with the fifth season premiere tonight on the Sci Fi Channel. The show is still going strong even as it approaches its 100th episode. This year there will be some changes to the show including the leadership of the Stargate Atlantis team changing hands. Samantha Carter, played by Amanda Tapping, is stepping down, and Richard Woolsey, played by Robert Picardo, will be stepping in as the new commander.

Joseph Mallozzi is probably best known in connection with both Stargate series, as he has been executive producer on well over one hundred episodes of Stargate: SG-1 and Stargate: Atlantis, as well as a writer of sixty episodes between the two shows.

Robert Picardo has an extensive list of credits to his name in both television and film. He has appeared on a variety of different television programs ranging from shows such as The Wonder Years to Smallville. Picardo; however, is probably best known for his role in Star Trek: Voyager, for which he has also written and directed episodes. Recently he has been known for the reccurring role of Agent Richard Woolsey in both Stargate: SG-1 and Stargate: Atlantis. This season his character will have a much more important role in Stargate: Atlantis as Woolsey becomes the new commander of Atlantis.

Joseph Mallozzi and Robert Picardo recently spoke to MediaBlvd Magazine about the new season of Stargate: Atlantis.

**snippage**

Jamie > What has been your favorite episode or scene to work on so far in either SG-1 or Atlantis?

Joseph Mallozzi> Bob, go ahead, if you want to.

Robert Picardo> I think my favorite moment for the character prior to this season, prior to joining the cast as a regular, was an episode - it was a crossover episode between SG-1 and SG-Atlantis where they went to the Pegasus - it’s called The Scourge. Now wasn’t that - that was a crossover?

Joseph Mallozzi> No, the crossover was Return 1 and 2 with Rick.

Robert Picardo> Oh, forgive me then. The Scourge was the one with all the giant - with the - it was the...

Joseph Mallozzi> The bug...

Robert Picardo> ...it was the Starship Trooper episode?

Joseph Mallozzi> Yes.

Robert Picardo> With the bug attacks.

Joseph Mallozzi> Yeah.

Robert Picardo> And it does feature Richard Woolsey running away from an attack of the bugs and seeing me run at a pace that I’m not aware that I could run seemed right. To see me on camera running faster than I can actually run was a funny moment for me and it gratified me to see that.

Now, to make an admission as a new leader, my favorite moment is when he’s running away from danger, it’s probably a risky thing to start out with. Having said that, I think that my favorite moment that we have filmed thus far is in Joe’s episode, Broken Ties - one of the comic moments that I’d rather not give away.

**snippage**

The fifth season of Stargate: Atlantis will premiere on Friday, July 11th, on the Sci Fi Channel.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - The Philadelphia Inquirer: TV Today July 11 '08:

From The Philadelphia Inquirer (Philadelphia, PA):

Posted on Fri, Jul. 11, 2008

TV Today

Stargate Atlantis (10-11 p.m., S-F) - There's a new guy in charge, but he looks awfully familiar. Richard Woolsey (Robert Picardo) takes command of the Atlantis expedition as the series begins its fifth season. This will mean some adjustment for Sheppard, McKay, Teyla (Joe Flanigan, David Hewlett, Rachel Luttrell) and the rest of the crew. Other familiar faces who'll make appearances this season include Dr. Beckett (Paul McGillion) and Col. Carter (Amanda Tapping).

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Working...
                                X