This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GoSpikey View Post
    And Teal'c, like Teyla, has his own people to take care of!
    LOL ... that's a good one. *snort*

Beware of the sarcasm. If you trip I'm not responsible for any injuries.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      LOL ... that's a good one. *snort*

Beware of the sarcasm. If you trip I'm not responsible for any injuries.
      Then I'm thinking you snorted too when Michael said Teyla took good care of her child?

She lost them!

In Loving Memory of Wraithlord.

I wish I got to know you better.

Comment

Originally posted by GoSpikey View Post
        She lost them!
        Teyla looking underneath every carpet, chair and table in Atlantis...

: Teyla, what are you doing?
        : I seemed to have missplaced my people. I can not remember where I last put them.

Comment

Teyla looking underneath every carpet, chair and table in Atlantis...

: Teyla, what are you doing?
          : I seemed to have missplaced my people. I can not remember where I last put them.
          They are always in the place you least expect.
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
            And in even better conditions than they were before...

Halling and co were at least kept out of that terrible wind!

In Loving Memory of Wraithlord.

I wish I got to know you better.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              Gotta wonder where that is...

Comment

Originally posted by SpaceCowboy View Post
                As this is my first post, I beg mercy from those wiser and more experienced. I have particularly liked Teyla’s character from the very beginning. She brings a likable dynamic to the show and, used properly, provides unique insight into the sociological and political situation in the PG. Further, her perspective on Life, the Universe and Everything (42) allows the potential for continued growth of not only her character, but of the other characters with whom she routinely interacts.

This being said, her character must be allowed to develop. Season 4 probably had the greatest opportunity for her to do that because of RL’s pregnancy, which I think TPTB adapted to her story arc rather well. As has been discussed within the context of the ongoing arc, Teyla must come to grips with the fact that while she wants “to be out there mixing it up and kicking ass” she can’t. She now has a greater responsibility: her child.

This does not, however, mean that she has to vanish into the background; relegated to recurring character status. Many of the posts on this thread have pointed out her skills as leader of the Athosians, negotiator and ethical conscience of the team. Certainly, she is a tremendous fighter, as evidenced in many episodes, but that is only one element of her character as written. Now that her priorities must change, why not allow her character to flex some other muscles.

Why then, instead of saddling the Atlantis Mission with a second rate bureaucrat like Richard Woolsey, allow Teyla to take over as the Commander of Atlantis. Radical? Sure. Logical? Maybe, but since when has logic been the only driving force in science fiction? Could she do it? Of course; and it could set up a wonderful series of conflicts both within the confines of Atlantis, the Team and the I.O.A. as well as great situations with the other people of the PG. She would still go off-world from time to time, just as Weir did, but she would no longer be expected to operate within the confines of Sheppard’s team as if nothing in Season 4 ever happened.

Most importantly, it would allow her character an opportunity to grow. The easiest way to kill off a character on any television show is to allow that character to stagnate. They either disappear into obscurity or become a cliché. I hope that TPTB will allow RL to push the bounds of her character as much as possible in the upcoming seasons. She has proven herself to be a fine actress and an important part of the success of SGA.

Favorite quote of Season 3: "I am not invisible!" First Strike
                Teyla has truly grown as a character and has changed of course. She went from the warrior leader of her people, to an expecting mother who would do anything to protect her baby. Her continued compassion for people truly is continued through Season 4. She still has that attitude of getting revenge but at the same time protecting her baby. I loved how they took her character and made her softer because of her baby, like any expecting mother would be, but she still has that passion to save her baby's father and her people.

I think Teyla can be expected some nice stories next season. There is so much potential and opportunity here.

Like you said, I've always liked Teyla from the beginning. She always added that missing piece to Sheppard's team.
                sigpic

Comment

Actually, I don't think Teyla adds anything to Sheppard's team as it stands right now, except for being the token female. In fact, I think S4 did an admirable job of showing just how well the team functions without her. Which is not a positive thing, really.

I'm not hating on Teyla - I promise. I apologize in advance, however, if I come across a little strongly for some people. But I've been thinking about this a lot since S4 wrapped up and I went back and rewatched everything to try to get it to gel in my mind. The thing is, I really really did want Teyla to get a great storyline this year, and to become a stronger character. With all the negative things (IMO) that happened for S4 - losing Elizabeth and Carson - I thought maybe the silver lining in the cloud would be that Teyla would actually be able to come out and shine. It didn't happen (and to save myself adding IMO to every sentence let it be assumed that everything in this post is simply my opinion). The baby and missing Athosians storylines were both badly handled, and left Teyla looking helpless, foolish, and at the end of the season, a victim. While I was much relieved that they didn't go the monster alien baby route, having Michael come after Teyla for the baby wasn't much better, and Kanaan turned out to be an afterthought. If they hadn't been so worried about playing up Keller in Missing, we could have gotten far more insight into that relationship in that episode than just a mention. He could have been woven into the whole season as a background thread. Instead we're left with an entirely artificial relationship, a Teyla that I do not recognize and frankly, do not care for that much, and a baby that's the key to the fate of the universe.

I hope that in S5 Teyla gets back to the Teyla I enjoyed previously. Because at this point I'm having a very hard time remembering whether I really liked Teyla at all or whether my affection for her was just based on well-written fanfic. But I do not want to see any more of S4 Teyla, and if they continue writing her the way they did this year, I will certainly be among those wishing for Teyla to be written out.
                  - Life after Stargate -
                  Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
                  Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
                    Actually, I don't think Teyla adds anything to Sheppard's team as it stands right now, except for being the token female. In fact, I think S4 did an admirable job of showing just how well the team functions without her. Which is not a positive thing, really.
                    Or Ronon for that matter... Season 4 pretty much was the Sheppard/McKay show.

spoiler'd for length only

Spoiler:
                    I'm not hating on Teyla - I promise. I apologize in advance, however, if I come across a little strongly for some people. But I've been thinking about this a lot since S4 wrapped up and I went back and rewatched everything to try to get it to gel in my mind. The thing is, I really really did want Teyla to get a great storyline this year, and to become a stronger character. With all the negative things (IMO) that happened for S4 - losing Elizabeth and Carson - I thought maybe the silver lining in the cloud would be that Teyla would actually be able to come out and shine. It didn't happen (and to save myself adding IMO to every sentence let it be assumed that everything in this post is simply my opinion). The baby and missing Athosians storylines were both badly handled, and left Teyla looking helpless, foolish, and at the end of the season, a victim. While I was much relieved that they didn't go the monster alien baby route, having Michael come after Teyla for the baby wasn't much better, and Kanaan turned out to be an afterthought. If they hadn't been so worried about playing up Keller in Missing, we could have gotten far more insight into that relationship in that episode than just a mention. He could have been woven into the whole season as a background thread. Instead we're left with an entirely artificial relationship, a Teyla that I do not recognize and frankly, do not care for that much, and a baby that's the key to the fate of the universe.
                    You're so totally hitting the nail on the head here...

Because at this point I'm having a very hard time remembering whether I really liked Teyla at all or whether my affection for her was just based on well-written fanfic.
                    I've been wondering the same thing.

But I do not want to see any more of S4 Teyla, and if they continue writing her the way they did this year, I will certainly be among those wishing for Teyla to be written out.
                    A(wo)men to that.

Comment

It seemed like that S2/S3 had the bigger focus on Shep and McKay. Even with it being almost all the actors had a kid being born. I felt their was more emphasis on Ronon Yes, Teyla was written as much as she should have, but I think that has a lot to do with RL's pregnanct. Then little she got was gold to me. I hope that talent will continue into next season
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

I totally agree. I find episodes with Teyla as the central character very boring. I mean if you look at most of the stories where Teyla plays a central role it is inevitably when she gets into a Queen's mind. That's all she is good for. And Joe Mallozi recently mentioned Teyla' season 5 episode was named the 'Queen'. Here we go again. I mean if she is to be include why not give her some interesting story line. But if all her stories involve hypnotising the queen, and the writers no nothing else to do with her than it would be better if she left. And frankly I like the Sheppard-mckay episodes. They are much more fun and have better stories. I do not care which character gets more importance as long as the stories are cool.

Comment

Originally posted by aalman View Post
                          I totally agree. I find episodes with Teyla as the central character very boring. I mean if you look at most of the stories where Teyla plays a central role it is inevitably when she gets into a Queen's mind. That's all she is good for. And Joe Mallozi recently mentioned Teyla' season 5 episode was named the 'Queen'. Here we go again. I mean if she is to be include why not give her some interesting story line. But if all her stories involve hypnotising the queen, and the writers no nothing else to do with her than it would be better if she left. And frankly I like the Sheppard-mckay episodes. They are much more fun and have better stories. I do not care which character gets more importance as long as the stories are cool.

And yet many others enjoy the Teyla character and think she deserves more episodes, I enjoy the Shep and McKay episodes but also want to see more balance . I've really enjoyed the Ronon episodes .. SGA is not the Shep and McKay show it is about all the SGA characters so focus on ALL character not just certain ones exclusively.
                          I started watching SGA in Season 4 due to John /Teyla scenes and Teyla quickly became my favorite female character and I enjoy her Wraith connection and NOT all her storylines involve hypnotism either- I got the first three seasons on DVD to watch and will get Season 4 to watch the episodes I missed but I think Teyla has been way more important to SGA than Weir -who to be honest I found extremely boring and not convincing at all as being a leader. Teyla can kick ass and the Michael/Teyla story arc is one of the best arcs going on .
                          What's unfortunate though is I doubt Teyla will ever get the character develpment she needs but I'll keep hoping anyway it might happen !
                          I do not understand the hatred for Teyla and love fest for Weir- Weir was one dimensional and the weakest link on the show for me . I did not see her 'death' yet but was happy seeing she was no longer part of SGA . I think Torri is very pretty & talented but can't get into Weir on the show -sorry
                          While Teyla seeems much more integrel to the SGA Team dynamics and I started watching while Teyla was pregnant and still found her much better than Weir yet Weir gets more scenes but bores me beyond words - Go figure ? I also like Keller, too, which seems to be an unpopular opinion and find her more interesting than Weir .

Kimberly
                          Last edited by taffy rose; 03 April 2008, 07:15 PM.

sigs by Cazz,scifan,elephantgirl, john-and-teyla , Donna , Linda, maffieg, and wraithlord . I'm in AWE of your talent and J/T is the best

Comment

You're so totally hitting the nail on the head here...

I've been wondering the same thing.

A(wo)men to that.
                            Sheppard/Mckay show? Sorry I did not see that Season 4. Sheppard and Mckay even both got an episode off, well except for one little scene in the beginning. Season 4 truly focused on everyone and not just Mckay and Sheppard.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by taffy rose View Post
                              I do not understand the hatred for Teyla and love fest for Weir...
                              And likewise I don't understand the hatred for Weir and the love fest for Teyla...

Sorry Taffy Rose but this goes both ways and from the way you talk you sound like you belong to that second group (the one I talk about).
                              Last edited by Falcon Horus; 04 April 2008, 06:03 AM. Reason: Dang it, I keep forgetting words...

Comment

And likewise I don't understand the hatred for Weir and the love fest for Teyla...

Sorry Taffy Rose but this goes both ways and from the way you talk you sound like you belong to that second group (the one I talk about).
                                Because regardless of how we feel about their develpment, we still have our favorite and least favorite character. We (the fans) all have someone we relate to on the show. Even the least popular characters have some fans. Ford anyone
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X