This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jrd231 View Post
    I was going to post this in the Deepest Darkets desires thread, but figured it needed its' own thread.

So here it is, the Offical Bring Back The Gate Campaign thread.

If there is one thing I've always wanted from Atlantis but have NEVER gotten is to see them use the Stargate. You never see anybody walk through it or even see it dialed anymore. It's called "Stargate" Atlantis for reason. Does anybody else miss this? If they're off world the episode always start off with them already being off world. Or, it cuts to them walking from the gate if they're required to go off world mid-episode. I want to see the gate dialed, and people WALKING through it.

I don't want hear any of these excuses either:

1. Production costs are too high to add the gate effects - SG-1 did it for ten years.

2. It takes up too much time that could be used for storytelling - SG-1 did it for ten years.

3. They have a Puddle Jumper so they don't have to walk through the gate anymore - SG teams have been going through the gate for a decade without a PJ.

4. They have the Daedalus now, and it's totally rad so they don't have to use the gate that much. - SG teams went off world without space fairing ships for the first 7 years.

If you agree, let me know
    I agree with much of your post except perhaps to point out that the puddlejumpers are designed to be used in conjunction with the gates as they have no hyperdrive capabliity and thus rely on the gates to reach other star systems.

Otherwise I agree. The whole concept of the first series centered around that of an ancient network of stargates built by an ancient race, allowing instantaneous travel between worlds of our galaxy (and later other galaxies) and the endeavors of earth's humans (SG-1) to explore the galaxy using the gate system. The stargate was as much a star of the show as the SG-1 team themselves.

In the early episodes only the Goa'uld could traverse interstellar space using ships and I recall in the SG-1 pilot O'Neil saying that the Goa'uld could reach earth that way but that it would take months to do so. Later in the series that seemed to have been forgotten and ships were crisscrossing between worlds within our galaxy in a matter of hours.

All this simply undermines the whole concept of the stargate network. If the ships are so fast why bother with the stargates?

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
    However Atlantis is about the City of the Ancients not the gate itself.
    While that is partially so, the stargate is still central to the whole concept as the series' title implies.

Personally I liked the first season when the Atlantis team members were completely isolated from earth and had to rely on their own ingenuity to keep the Wraith at bay. The gate system in Pegasus ruled. When they brought the Daedalus into the show in Season 2 things changed and again travel between worlds became easy, only this time it was between galaxies as well. The gate system again became less important. In some episodes the gate isn't even seen or mentioned. In "Travelers" I might as well have been watching an episode of Andromeda.
    My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

Originally posted by Professor D.H.D. Puddlejumper View Post
      I agree with much of your post except perhaps to point out that the puddlejumpers are designed to be used in conjunction with the gates as they have no hyperdrive capabliity and thus rely on the gates to reach other star systems.

Otherwise I agree. The whole concept of the first series centered around that of an ancient network of stargates built by an ancient race, allowing instantaneous travel between worlds of our galaxy (and later other galaxies) and the endeavors of earth's humans (SG-1) to explore the galaxy using the gate system. The stargate was as much a star of the show as the SG-1 team themselves.

In the early episodes only the Goa'uld could traverse interstellar space using ships and I recall in the SG-1 pilot O'Neil saying that the Goa'uld could reach earth that way but that it would take months to do so. Later in the series that seemed to have been forgotten and ships were crisscrossing between worlds within our galaxy in a matter of hours.

All this simply undermines the whole concept of the stargate network. If the ships are so fast why bother with the stargates?

While that is partially so, the stargate is still central to the whole concept as the series' title implies.

Personally I liked the first season when the Atlantis team members were completely isolated from earth and had to rely on their own ingenuity to keep the Wraith at bay. The gate system in Pegasus ruled. When they brought the Daedalus into the show in Season 2 things changed and again travel between worlds became easy, only this time it was between galaxies as well. The gate system again became less important. In some episodes the gate isn't even seen or mentioned. In "Travelers" I might as well have been watching an episode of Andromeda.
      Cuz not everyone has access to a super fast space ship...

Comment

Working...
      X