X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
    I honestly don't know
    As screen time is allocated to the characters by TPTB based on the story they're writing them in for then I think no, she's not taking anyone's screen time but rather the writers have more planned for Keller right now and made her a regular to include her more in the show.

you know I was discussing this with FAII in another thread. IIRC he claimed that TPTB are currently focusing on Keller and as a result tend to forget not only about Teyla and Ronon but also recurring characters like Zelenka and Lorne. he's right imo. however how are they supposed to develop Keller if we only see her in like 3 or 4 eps? it's impossible. yes there's also the love triangle but I guess that's just something you like or you don't seeing as it also involves Rodney and Ronon
    TPTB right now seem to be trying to make use of all the characters when they have them on screen and not having them there when they have nothing for them to do, Teyla has been getting wallpapered since before season 4 with a few lines here and there but otherwise just standing round to be counted as part of the team at times and the same with Ronon, he seems to be more about killing wraith than having any depth and that is the way he is written. I would like to see more of Teyla and Ronon put to use like in 'Daedalus Variations' but that is down to the writers to come up with the ideas to include them and give both Teyla and Ronon things to work with.

ah see that's it: what difference would she have made? I'm sure Linda would love to answer this question
    Well here it is:

None, she would have been wallpapered.

Teyla might have got a couple of extra lines but I cannot see any reason for her to have been there other than 'she is part of the team'.

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
    But useless screen time is better than no screen time, dontcha know? Minutes and seconds matter now because what a character does is not as important as the number of seconds they spend on your television screen
    So it's all about seeing a character, not what they do or what happens in the show? I'd get bored of watching a show like that.

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
    Well when Ford got the boot, I was more than happy. So sometimes it is for the better. People say that "Oh the Writers could not write for Ford" That is BS, imo. They wanted to shake things up early.
    I never cared for Ford, super-Ford of S2 was much better though I still think that should have been resolved instead of left open.

The Queen anyone? Or Broken Ties and Tracker? Deadalus Variations?
    'Search & Rescue', that was an important Teyla episode as well.

Comment

yup! it's pretty much like this person posted on Joe's blog, except for Teyla

It’s a no-win situation. Let Keller gain some fighting abilities so she isn’t helpless - problem with fans. Leave Keller helpless - problem. Keller backs down from others and only talks when terrified - she’s a whiner! Keller stands up to people and offers solutions to problems - and she’s a b!tch! Wow!!! Talk about never being satisfied.
      http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...t-information/
      That is the bottom line: nothing TPTB do will make everyone happy, and in the case of Keller almost everything they do will make some people unhappy.

Originally posted by jonos101 View Post
      Me to, but I've had alot more time to learn to like Ronon.
      That same point could be made about Carson for the first 3 seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Fenrir Foxz View Post

I never cared for Ford, super-Ford of S2 was much better though I still think that should have been resolved instead of left open.
        LOL, Super-Ford sounds like a new Car being produced by the Ford company.

BTW, was reading multiple reviews for "The Lost Tribe", looks like the critics got it right this time.
        sigpic

Comment

That is the bottom line: nothing TPTB do will make everyone happy, and in the case of Keller almost everything they do will make some people unhappy.

That same point could be made about Carson for the first 3 seasons.
          It is a no-win situation. Look at this thread. We all still love Atlantis and think this season is great, but we have different tastes.

Jumper, Fox, and myself are Carson fans, I think, lol. Jelgate doesn't care for Carson

Jelgate and myself are big Weir fans, I think, lol. Jumper doesn't care for Weir or is not one of his favorites.

Linda's favorite character is Teyla, I think, lol. She is not my favorite but I like her.

Jonos101 was a big Ford fan while myself liked Ronon more

Oh and Peg likes to see Sheppard be Whumped. Myself I just think Sheppard rocks and is cool.

So many different views and opinions but yet we still enjoy this show.
          sigpic

Comment

LOL, Super-Ford sounds like a new Car being produced by the Ford company.
            Bit unimaginative a-name to call a car though.

BTW, was reading multiple reviews for "The Lost Tribe", looks like the critics got it right this time.
            That's good.

It is a no-win situation. Look at this thread. We all still love Atlantis and think this season is great, but we have different tastes.

Jumper, Fox, and myself are Carson fans, I think, lol
            Yeah I like Carson but was never really interested in the character and much prefer Keller.

No two people are going to agree on everything, we all have different tastes.

Comment

Bit unimaginative a-name to call a car though.

Cool.

Yeah I like Carson but was never really interested in the character and much prefer Keller.

No two people are going to agree on everything, we all have different tastes.
              I think a lot of us will agree that Todd kicks ass!
              sigpic

Comment

Todd is the SGA's version of Ba'al
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                  So are you trying to say that Todd gives Atlantis "Ba'als"?
                  sigpic

Comment

Indeed, I find Michael a bit more interesting though due to what he's become from being outcast from the wraith and the betrayal from the expedition then deciding to create his own army of hybrids, 'The Prodigal' should be a good ep for that.

Comment

Indeed, I find Michael a bit more interesting though due to what he's become from being outcast from the wraith and the betrayal from the expedition then deciding to create his own army of hybrids, 'The Prodigal' should be a good ep for that.
                      Yup, Michael is also very complex. He is also a lot more evil than Todd is. I can picture a new spin-off series with Todd and Michael called "The Very Odd Couple" The tag-line will be we'll suck the laughter out of you.
                      sigpic

Comment

He kind of looks that way, I'm wondering where things are going with Todd anyway and whether he'll turn on the expedition once he has dealt with the other wraith factions.

Comment

Yup, Michael is also very complex. He is also a lot more evil than Todd is. I can picture a new spin-off series with Todd and Michael called "The Very Odd Couple" The tag-line will be we'll suck the laughter out of you.
                          An SGA spin-off sitcom?

Comment

An SGA spin-off sitcom?
                            LOL, yup!
                            sigpic

Comment

So cast aside any character development in almost every single episode because they don't happen to be centered around one favoured character?

Nope. I can't do that, nor do I think that it should be done.

What did we learn about Teyla in DV? She is willing to expand her knowledge base to things technological. She recognizes her potential setbacks and failings and does what she can to rectify them. She continued to be worried about her role as both a mother and a warrior and had a very nice conversation with Ronon about it.

Shall we discard Ronon's sweet and caring behaviour in both DV and SoW last season because those episodes didn't feature him predominantly?
                              hey I completely agree the ep doesn't need to focus on someone in order to develop the character. I'm just saying there has only been one Ronon and Teyla centric ep so far but both have obviously played important roles in other eps

I've been lucky. My least favorite character died in the Hive and my 2nd least favorite died in Sunday
                              LOL

As screen time is allocated to the characters by TPTB based on the story they're writing them in for then I think no, she's not taking anyone's screen time but rather the writers have more planned for Keller right now and made her a regular to include her more in the show.
                              which is a perfectly normal process. it's Keller's first year as a regular so naturally TPTB will focus more on her than on the other 4 or 3 year old characters (especially if on doing so they manage to include other characters - Ronon and Rodney)

TPTB right now seem to be trying to make use of all the characters when they have them on screen and not having them there when they have nothing for them to do, Teyla has been getting wallpapered since before season 4 with a few lines here and there but otherwise just standing round to be counted as part of the team at times and the same with Ronon, he seems to be more about killing wraith than having any depth and that is the way he is written. I would like to see more of Teyla and Ronon put to use like in 'Daedalus Variations' but that is down to the writers to come up with the ideas to include them and give both Teyla and Ronon things to work with.
                              that's actually one thing I don't get. no offense to fans of those characters but Atlantis has always been about Shep and Rodney, the other characters were/are B regulars. this hasn't changed but somehow people now assume that those characters get less screentime because of Keller

Well here it is:

None, she would have been wallpapered.

Teyla might have got a couple of extra lines but I cannot see any reason for her to have been there other than 'she is part of the team'.
                              I'm sure Teyla fans would disagree

So it's all about seeing a character, not what they do or what happens in the show? I'd get bored of watching a show like that.
                              yeah it's actually one thing I didn't like about Weir during s1-3

Jumper, Fox, and myself are Carson fans, I think, lol. Jelgate doesn't care for Carson
                              IDK if I'm a Carson fan but he's on of my favorite Atlantis characters and even though Keller's ok imo I definitely prefer Carson

Jelgate and myself are big Weir fans, I think, lol. Jumper doesn't care for Weir or is not one of his favorites.
                              she's an ok character but you're right, not one of my favorites

Linda's favorite character is Teyla, I think, lol. She is not my favorite but I like her.

Jonos101 was a big Ford fan while myself liked Ronon more

Oh and Peg likes to see Sheppard be Whumped.
                              me too actually

Myself I just think Sheppard rocks and is cool.
                              indeed Shep's awesome

great isn't it?

yup

sigpic
                              The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

which is a perfectly normal process. it's Keller's first year as a regular so naturally TPTB will focus more on her than on the other 4 or 3 year old characters (especially if on doing so they manage to include other characters - Ronon and Rodney)

that's actually one thing I don't get. no offense to fans of those characters but Atlantis has always been about Shep and Rodney, the other characters were/are B regulars. this hasn't changed but somehow people now assume that those characters get less screentime because of Keller
                                I agree, that's why Shep or McKay appear in an episode when they not in most of it like in the beginning of 'Missing' when Shep saw Teyla and Keller off but Ronon and Teyla don't appear in all the eps.

I'm sure Teyla fans would disagree
                                Can't please everyone, I would prefer the characters to have a reason to be on screen.

yeah it's actually one thing I didn't like about Weir during s1-3
                                same here, S1 wasn't so bad but in S2+3 some scenes I now wonder whether Weir should have been on screen so much, SG1s format was better with the leader of the base (Hammond, O'Neill, Landry) only appeared as needed.

me too actually
                                Jumper_One is a closet Shep whumper that just came out!

Comment

Working...
                                X