This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
    You know the hate for Keller is just remarkable. I mean seriously. She is not even in every episode and she had one, maybe 2 focused eps. Keller is my least favorite character but it doesn't judge my postive view towards Atlantis. I feel even when the show ends we will still not hear the end of it.
    I know, Brian. I know. You sound like you've been venturing out into other threads. The Keller-hate is strong out there....or at least very vocal.

It makes no sense to me either and when I point it out, and how baseless it is, I'm told that there may not be factual evidence, but it's just how some people feel.

Which is fine by me. Everyone has the right to feel about something however they like. It's the baseless accusations paraded as fact that I'm not a fan of.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
      I guess the question's, how much screentime will she get in the movie(s)?
      Does it matter? Honestly.
      sigpic

Comment

ok that's true. they didn't require Carson's expertise as a doctor in Whispers, rather his experience as one of Michael's prisoners. I think that'll be different in Outsiders
        Carson's expertise with Michael's research seemed more like an excuse to have him there, I don't think he did that much involving it either. If my point was about the doctor side of Carson then I would have been like: "Why isn't the CMO in this ep?" Keller is Atlantis' resident doctor now after all, Carson was in 'Whispers' because of his first hand knowledge of the work Michael was doing.

'Outsiders' should be have more for him to do because:
        Spoiler:
        It will involve some people who have been made immune to wraith feeding by the plague.

Originally posted by jonos101 View Post
        Season 5 FTW!!!
        Indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
          I know, Brian. I know. You sound like you've been venturing out into other threads. The Keller-hate is strong out there....or at least very vocal.

It makes no sense to me either and when I point it out, and how baseless it is, I'm told that there may not be factual evidence, but it's just how some people feel.

Which is fine by me. Everyone has the right to feel about something however they like. It's the baseless accusations paraded as fact that I'm not a fan of.
          I want to scream..

Spoiler:
          YES, WE KNOW YOU HATE KELLER, MOVE ON!!!!
          lol.

Opinions are one thing, treating it as a fact is going too far. If you ask every single person who tunes in on a weekly basis and get their input then you will have an answer. So let's see, based on the press release Atlantis averages about 2 Million viewers in the U.S. Alone. So when every person is asked the question of "Do you like Keller? Do you think she is horrible? When every 2 millionth person answers then we will have an actual fact about Keller.

Don't forget our overseas friends and neighbors to the North. Their opinion counts just as much.
          sigpic

Comment

I guess the question's, how much screentime will she get in the movie(s)?
            That will depend on what TPTB have planned and where Keller will fit into the story(s).

It will, for some.

Opinions are one thing, treating it as a fact is going too far. If you ask every single person who tunes in on a weekly basis and get their input then you will have an answer. So let's see, based on the press release Atlantis averages about 2 Million viewers in the U.S. Alone. So when every person is asked the question of "Do you like Keller? Do you think she is horrible? When every 2 millionth person answers then we will have an actual fact about Keller.

Don't forget our overseas friends and neighbors to the North. Their opinion counts just as much.
            Until that happens there is always going to be proof of other kinds like an internet poll (very unreliable IMO) or how many are willing to speak up for Keller against those who don't like her. I think more people are indifferent to her than like / dislike Keller, just my opinion though.

Comment

I want to scream..

Spoiler:
              lol.

Logic is useless. It gets cast aside in the rush to see who can come up with newer and more innovative ways to kill Keller first.

And as one of those neighbours from the North, I think we're important too. Neilson begs to differ, however.

But seriously, looking back at season 5, Keller has hardly had as much screen time as would justify the claim that she's, "taking over the show".
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fenrir Foxz View Post
                It will, for some.
                And it won't matter that they'll be clear reasons for that screen time. Like the fact that she's A REGULAR!

Until that happens there is always going to be proof of other kinds like an internet poll (very unreliable IMO) or how many are willing to speak up for Keller against those who don't like her. I think more people are indifferent to her than like / dislike Keller, just my opinion though.
                That's always the case, though. With everything. I don't think I'm the first to point out that the naysayers and the fangirls/boys are always the most vocal minorities. Always. And yes, they are more often that not, minorities of the audience. Everyone else watches 'cause it's interesting, tunes in week after week, and makes up the majority of the viewing audience.

Which is why the arguments of, "most people hate Keller" and "most people love Keller" because GW says so, mean nothing.
                sigpic

Comment

Ah fandom. Where logic is overuled by emotion
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

hm reminds me of a ratings debate

did you read yesterday's blog entry?
                    Spoiler:
                    Ashley writes: ““she saved Rodney in The Shrine when none of his friends couldn’t figure out from the get-go that there might be an actual reason the shrine offers a temporary cure, something that ought to have been studied right away (I’m sorry, but Sheppard should have seen that possibility from the get-go, he’s smarter than that)”

Because Keller is a DOCTOR. (I mean to use bold, but not sure how) In the past, Carson would’ve been the one realizing there’s a problem. And it’s ALWAYS McKay. McKay always considers the negatives. But since he was the one sick, someone else had to. And it was Keller’s scientific background and knowledge that led her to believe that there is something else going on. I find no problems at all with the doctor on the team solving the problem. I do agree that Sheppard should have realized the possibility that something else was wrong. But Sheppard and Teyla were pushed to the side to let McKay, Ronon, and Keller take the spotlight. And Keller supported one side and Ronon the other. Ronon was more outspoken than anyone else with his position because of his experience with it. So, I do understand Sheppard not coming out and saying ‘Hey, something’s wrong here’.

“Keller can already fight, shoot and kill Wraith nearly as good as Ronon! Soon she’ll be flying puddle jumpers and having the ancient gene like Sheppard. Communicating with the Wraith and the hive ships like Teyla. See how she brings out Todd’s reflective side!). And saving the planet or the galaxy from imminent destruction by defusing something like McKay!”

LMAO! Thanks for the laugh. She open fires on two Wraith with an automatic gun and suddenly she can kill Wraith nearly as good as Ronon. She can hold her own when she has a weapon against one Wraith and suddenly she is superwoman. Amazing how that works.

It’s a no-win situation. Let Keller gain some fighting abilities so she isn’t helpless - problem with fans. Leave Keller helpless - problem. Keller backs down from others and only talks when terrified - she’s a whiner! Keller stands up to people and offers solutions to problems - and she’s a b!tch! Wow!!! Talk about never being satisfied.

So many Keller comments. You do know sometimes Keller is practically never in an episode, right? I think the uprising is due to three continuous episodes with a lot of Keller (Omg, THREE!). Let’s examine the episodes.

Search and Rescue: McKay, Sheppard, Ronon, Michael - Team episode.
                    The Seed: Keller’s the victim
                    Broken Ties: No Keller
                    Daedalus Variations: No Keller
                    Ghost in the Machine: If Keller, very minimal
                    Shrine: Rodney, Keller, Ronon
                    Whispers: No Keller
                    Queen: Keller in scenes with team
                    Tracker: Lot of Keller and runner scenes. Still lots of Ronon and McKay scenes also.
                    First Contact: few scenes with Keller.
                    Lost Tribe: her and Ronon have the backup story - the Daedalus is being taken over. Few scenes.

That’s five out of eleven episodes. I’m sorry to break it to the anti-Keller fans, but that IS NOT a lot. Seriously. Think about it.”

Answer: Awesome post.
                    http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...t-information/

honestly? it matters if we won't see much of other characters ie Teyla and Ronon

Carson's expertise with Michael's research seemed more like an excuse to have him there, I don't think he did that much involving it either. If my point was about the doctor side of Carson then I would have been like: "Why isn't the CMO in this ep?" Keller is Atlantis' resident doctor now after all, Carson was in 'Whispers' because of his first hand knowledge of the work Michael was doing.

'Outsiders' should be have more for him to do because:
                    Spoiler:
                    It will involve some people who have been made immune to wraith feeding by the plague.
                    yup Outsiders should be interesting. Carson doesn't need to be CMO, they need him because of his experience with Michael's research and experiments

I want to scream..

Spoiler:
                    lol.

thing is even though SGA's ratings have improved, we have no idea if Keller's the reason. it might be Woolsey, hey even Sam's departure. who knows
                    sigpic
                    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

I'm staying out of the ratings debate, I don't need to post another single thing in that thread.
                      sigpic

Comment

That will depend on what TPTB have planned and where Keller will fit into the story(s).
                        true

who cares if a few hundred online fans don't like her, that's not what counts

Logic is useless. It gets cast aside in the rush to see who can come up with newer and more innovative ways to kill Keller first.

And as one of those neighbours from the North, I think we're important too. Neilson begs to differ, however.

But seriously, looking back at season 5, Keller has hardly had as much screen time as would justify the claim that she's, "taking over the show".
                        you know it's the same BS when Sam joined the cast. people were saying she's gonna take over the show and what about Rodney? and what happened? a lot of fans were actually hoping to see more her! so yeah of course Keller won't take over the show but again it depends on the screentime of characters like Teyla and Ronon imo

That's always the case, though. With everything. I don't think I'm the first to point out that the naysayers and the fangirls/boys are always the most vocal minorities. Always. And yes, they are more often that not, minorities of the audience. Everyone else watches 'cause it's interesting, tunes in week after week, and makes up the majority of the viewing audience.
                        yeah somehow there's always more people that venture into the Complaints than the Compliments threads

Which is why the arguments of, "most people hate Keller" and "most people love Keller" because GW says so, mean nothing.
                        LOL yeah or LJ

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                        Ah fandom. Where logic is overuled by emotion
                        sigpic

Comment

did you read yesterday's blog entry?
                          I did and I cheered along with JM.

honestly? it matters if we won't see much of other characters ie Teyla and Ronon
                          And what if there's a good reason for that? What if TPTB come up with some awesome story line that involves more Keller and marginally less Ronon and Teyla? Should they abandon the idea because there will be some fans disgruntled by the fact that Keller has 2 min and 43 sec more screen time than Ronon?

You can't please everyone. I, personally, can't stand Ronon. I just can't. Hated him in TLT and I thought Broken Ties was a waste of my time. But I recognize that he's a regular, has a fanbase, and needs to be shown on the show. Aside form critiquing his work and his actions, I won't b**** and moan constantly.

And if he so happens to get more screen time than Keller in the movie, what's the big deal? I don't watch to count seconds or minutes. I watch to be entertained by the show/movie as a whole. And if telling the right story in the right way means one of my favourite characters gets less exposure, somehow I'll find a way to deal with it without sounding like an angry broken record all over the forums.

thing is even though SGA's ratings have improved, we have no idea if Keller's the reason. it might be Woolsey, hey even Sam's departure. who knows
                          But does it matter? Any of it?

The only reason I'm asking is because I doubt ratings highs and lows can be attributed to any one factor or character.

There are so many different people watching with different likes and dislikes that makes it impossible to do so.

The only thing that can be said is that something is making the ratings improve and stay high. And that something may be increased confidence in TPTB, love for the new additions to the cast, heck, maybe some people tuned in randomly, saw some romantic element in a random moment, told their friends, and that's why the rating are increased. Or it could be a combination of all of them.
                          sigpic

Comment

I think most people watch a show for the overall show. Yes, people do have favorite characters and sometimes they do leave or get killed off. So are you going to stop watching? Heck no, I was upset when RDA left SG-1, I felt Season 9 was a poor transition, but by the end of Season 9 and then Season 10 the show started to find it's way again. Atlantis on the other hand killed off two of my favorite characters. If they did not do this. We would not have gotten eps like Adrift, Lifeline, This Mortal Coil, The Kindred, and Ghost in the Machine and among others. It brought a lot of drama to the show and I think people who appreciate good drama like myself enjoyed it. Those were some of my favorite eps. Of course some of the others ones were great also.

Moving on to another thing. I watched Sanctuary again the other night, I tuned in because of Amanda Tapping. Gotta say I like her better as Carter more. The show is good, but it's not Stargate. I am not sure how much more I can watch Sanctuary. I think when SGA ends I might not tune in anymore. My point is, should I be watching Sanctuary for it's overall show or just one character? I should be watching it with an overall perspective, so hopefully I can get into it enough to keep interest.
                            sigpic

Comment

I'm staying out of the ratings debate, I don't need to post another single thing in that thread.
                              I'm not

I did and I cheered along with JM.
                              yeah that was a pretty cool post

And what if there's a good reason for that? What if TPTB come up with some awesome story line that involves more Keller and marginally less Ronon and Teyla? Should they abandon the idea because there will be some fans disgruntled by the fact that Keller has 2 min and 43 sec more screen time than Ronon?
                              again it depends on the new storyline. Teyla was left behind in TLT and some fans ie Linda didn't like it. and tbh they're right, she could've accompanied Shep and Zelenka. TPTB would have needed a reason but come on how hard can it be? so to answer your question, if the reason for less Teyla or Ronon is a great storyline for both characters then it'd be ok imo

You can't please everyone.

I, personally, can't stand Ronon. I just can't. Hated him in TLT and I thought Broken Ties was a waste of my time. But I recognize that he's a regular, has a fanbase, and needs to be shown on the show. Aside form critiquing his work and his actions, I won't b**** and moan constantly.
                              unfortunately some fans do not agree

And if he so happens to get more screen time than Keller in the movie, what's the big deal? I don't watch to count seconds or minutes. I watch to be entertained by the show/movie as a whole. And if telling the right story in the right way means one of my favourite characters gets less exposure, somehow I'll find a way to deal with it without sounding like an angry broken record all over the forums.
                              exactly, well said the problem is it seems as if a lot of people watch because of one or two characters instead of the story and if one of their favorites doesn't get as much screentime as hoped for they're gonna hate the plot.

But does it matter? Any of it?

The only reason I'm asking is because I doubt ratings highs and lows can be attributed to any one factor or character.
                              YES! however some people still don't get it. we have no idea why the ratings improved, I'm sure there are many reasons

There are so many different people watching with different likes and dislikes that makes it impossible to do so.

The only thing that can be said is that something is making the ratings improve and stay high. And that something may be increased confidence in TPTB, love for the new additions to the cast, heck, maybe some people tuned in randomly, saw some romantic element in a random moment, told their friends, and that's why the rating are increased. Or it could be a combination of all of them.
                              could you please explain this to some fans?

EDIT: and Brian just said it much more eloquently than I ever could
                              sigpic

Comment

And it won't matter that they'll be clear reasons for that screen time. Like the fact that she's A REGULAR!
                                Indeed and I have yet to see Keller put on screen just for the sake of having her there, most of the time there has been clear purpose for her on screen so whatever TPTB have planned for her in the movie(s) I'm looking forward to it.

The internet fandom is only a small part of the overall viewers of Stargate Atlantis and the opinions here don't accurately reflect the overall feelings towards the show or characters.

Has Keller has been taking screen time from Teyla and Ronon? This is something that keeps getting mentioned and I'd be interested to see the proof, the team consisting of Shep, McKay, Teyla and Ronon only get what screen time TPTB write them in for, if Zelenka were to start appearing more and making a bigger difference on the show would anyone be pointing out that he is taking screen time from the regulars? Same with Lorne, I know there are people who want him on Atlantis more but again to do that he would (in theory) cut into others screen time. Both the commander and CMO tend to have a good role on the show and to use 'The Lost Tribe' as an example:
                                Spoiler:
                                Keller had quite a few scenes with Ronon and her original purpose on the Daedalus was to explain to Todd in more detail about the treatment.

Teyla was on Atlantis and was left there because what difference would she have made had she gone with Shep? None, she would have been wallpapered. To me that is making good use of the characters and not having them standing around without something to contribute.

yup Outsiders should be interesting. Carson doesn't need to be CMO, they need him because of his experience with Michael's research and experiments

Comment

Working...
                                X