Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sam's exit as commander of Atlantis (speculation on how it will occur)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
    I disagree. A ships captain doesn't have to be a Captain. At least in the RN, ships can be captained by a Commander, which I believe is equivilent to a US Lt Colonal.
    He is talking about the navy rank of captain. I do believe that some of the smaller ships are run by commandars
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      He is talking about the navy rank of captain. I do believe that some of the smaller ships are run by commandars
      I think that's waht I was saying, hell I may have just confused myself. But there's a difference between "Captain" and "The captain", as the latter can be any rank, but from my experience is often a Commander.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Regardless of the rank thing to go from commanding a expedition or base to just a ship is a demotion in my opinion less people less clout. Not that commanding a ship was not important just not on the same scale as Atlantis Commander.
        sigpic
        Thanks to lil ferrett for the picture

Comment

I disagree. A ships captain doesn't have to be a Captain. At least in the RN, ships can be captained by a Commander, which I believe is equivilent to a US Lt Colonal.
          I didn't say a ship captain has to be a captain. Reread my post.
          Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
          "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
          Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

I think that's waht I was saying, hell I may have just confused myself. But there's a difference between "Captain" and "The captain", as the latter can be any rank, but from my experience is often a Commander.
            Sorry I was unclear. Most generally the captain of a ship is Commander which is the same as a Col.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
              Sorry I was unclear. Most generally the captain of a ship is Commander which is the same as a Col.
              No, it's the same as Lt Colonal. Colonal is the same as the Naval RANK Captain.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Über View Post
                I posted this idea over in the thread about how Woolsey would be integrated...so forgive the crossover elements:

Here's my personal theory.

I think something will happen in Search & Rescue where Carter is ordered to do something or not do something...but she knows that if she follows that directive, it would put her people in danger (either members of her team or random people in the Pegasus Galaxy or both)...maybe even put lives at risk. She has a LONG history of bucking bureaucracy when lives are on the line and doesn't care a whit about the politics involved...only that it's her responsibility to take care of people under her care. So she of course gives the IOA the virtual finger and does what she knows is right...thus protecting innocents/saving lives.

However, it's something the IOA can't allow to pass and still save face. So while she's being thanked for saving people, she's given the boot...by Richard Woolsey, who's representing the interests of the IOA. He respects her decision but has no choice than to do what he's told. What's worse, he learns he'll be taking her place...which makes him persona non grata on Atlantis for taking the job of a popular leader...especially after the trouble he gave Liz.

So he comes in unwillingly and is put in the unenviable position of taking charge of people who resent him. A lot.

As for Sam...well, she knows the score. She knows that doing the right thing can cost you and since that's never bothered her before, it certainly wouldn't now.
                I like this idea.

I'm not a fan of Sam ending up as the commander of a ship. There is really very little that these characters do. Besides, I don't want her to be sitting on a ship while the rest of SG1 is off on an adventure in future movies.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

They discover a rather complicated process to make either drones or ZPMs or both and she has to go back to Area 51 to work on that, 'cause that's more important than running Atlantis.

Perhaps she gets put in charge of the Midway station? We really must see more of that place. Perhaps in 'Midway'.

Having her called to account for a potentially questionable decision while in command is also a good idea. She's innocent, obviously, but the political intrigue should be worth it, especially as setup for the new commander.
                  sigpic
                  More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

No, it's the same as Lt Colonal. Colonal is the same as the Naval RANK Captain.
                    true

Army: Colonel
                    Marine Corps: Colonel
                    Navy: Captain
                    Air Force: Colonel
                    Coast Guard: Captain
                    PHSCC: Captain
                    NOAA Corps: Captain
                    sigpic
                    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Well I asked JM if he could give any hints so I'll wait and see. Personally I want something that will let Sam be Sam science and all plus snark yeah lots of snark anyone else love it when she punched Baal? How about when she defended Rodney -- go Sam
                      sigpic
                      Thanks to lil ferrett for the picture

Comment

Originally posted by anima View Post
                        I rememer in Ripple Effect on SG-1 in season 9 the alternate reality Sam Carter of on maternity leave perhaps this will be what happens now.

but other than that treat (for me) , i'd like her to take command of a ship.

sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Regardless of rank, anyone in command of a ship is by tradition refer to as "captain". Still going from base/expedition commander to commanding a ship is sorta like a demotion. Unless you consider Atlantis a ship also (which technically it is) but then your still going from a much bigger ship to a smaller one.

The most character friendly explaination is she was on temporary assignment until the IOA could figure out who to name as the next permanent expedition leader. I like to hear Sam say on the way out "Computer, activate Emergency Command Hologram." and then have Woolsey appear.

Comment

Originally posted by SP90 View Post
                            Regardless of rank, anyone in command of a ship is by tradition refer to as "captain". Still going from base/expedition commander to commanding a ship is sorta like a demotion. Unless you consider Atlantis a ship also (which technically it is) but then your still going from a much bigger ship to a smaller one.

The most character friendly explaination is she was on temporary assignment until the IOA could figure out who to name as the next permanent expedition leader. I like to hear Sam say on the way out "Computer, activate Emergency Command Hologram." and then have Woolsey appear.
                            LMAO maybe woolsey is never actually in Atlantis but commands it by a hologram being projected from Earth by some means

Yeah not going to happen but would be funny... for 10 minutes
                            A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
                              true

Army: Colonel
                              Marine Corps: Colonel
                              Navy: Captain
                              Air Force: Colonel
                              Coast Guard: Captain
                              PHSCC: Captain
                              NOAA Corps: Captain
                              Ooops my bad I knew that.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                                Ooops my bad I knew that.
                                check it out
                                sigpic
                                The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X