This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The_Carpenter View Post
    I wonder how Caldwell and Ellis will deal with Woolsey!
    They will slip Ronon 50 bucks to knock him out

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffles View Post
      I think it's a great idea. The Woolsey character can be reworked (similar to McKay). He's been a foil for the SGC, Weir and Carter (much like McKay was to Carter in the SG-1 eps he first appeared in). He's been written as a bit bumbling and irritating to make the Atlantis folks look good. If they can take Rodney McKay from the unbearably arrogant a** he was in 48 Hours to the guy I saw in the first few minutes of Outcast (and even the one I saw in 38 Minutes in S1) then they can "discover" some good qualities to bring forth in Woolsey.
      Agreed. I didn't watch SG:A when it first started, simply because of McKay - I hated the character so much in SG-1 that I couldn't bear the idea of watching him as a major character every week. I found out when I saw them later that my preconceptive fear was unfounded. So Woolsey gets a chance from me.

I agree. I think (from a pure storyline POV) that Woolsey would be the obvious choice. Atlantis has had 2 leaders that the IOA can't control. Now, for reasons still TBD, Carter is leaving and they have the chance to put their own person in charge.
      Just the way I saw it.

Yep. He's a paper pusher - someone that belongs behind a desk ordering paperclips. While he'll have tough decisions to make, he has a senior staff (Sheppard, McKay, etc) that have the knowledge and experience to help him. He can administrate while the team goes off-world without trying to force a story that shows him using his "skills".
      Exactly. I liked Elizabeth, in a 'meh' kind of way, but it seemed that her position was shoved in sometimes without a need.

And that's the beauty of it. This is TOTALLY a real world thing that would happen. He's the IOA's puppet.
      YES! Most people who've been around for a while have had bosses shoved on them who seem to be nothing but politicians without ability.

BUT - this gives the writers so many avenues to take. Woolsey may have failed, but he tried to defend himself with O'Neill's P-90 in The Return. He's not a complete coward. He just lacks training. He's sat behind a desk his entire life and has rarely had to make a decision that endangered someone else's life. He has lots of room for growth, for making mistakes, for making unexpected choices.

I'm with you here. I think the fireworks between him and Sheppard alone will be worth the price of admission. However, McKay can dish it to. The mind boggles at the thickness of the sarcasm that will appear the first time Woolsey makes a decision McKay disagrees with. And the look on Ronon's face should be priceless the first time Woolsey tries to tell him to do something. S5 - thy name is conflict.
      I can see it now!!!!!

Comment

I think is a very good choice, given that his character will grow and there will be more conflict between the main characters, also Whoolsey will start off as we know him, and slowly change and his loyalties will be in contradiction with the IOA because theyre interest may interfere with Atlantis.

If the writers do theyr job well, Woolsey can grow in the season and becaome the leader we hate and love at the same time, people can evolve and change and being the leader of Atlantis will change Woolseys point of view.

Go SGA, "Not all change is for the Worse" (Teyla Emagan)

Comment

Have to say I'm warming to the idea slowly

hopefully better then mckay
          https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by atfan View Post
            With Carter wanting to still guest-star it is the only thing that would make sense plot-wise. She was replaced due to the IOA not because she was an incompetent leader. This allows her character to not be slammed and opens up a whole lot of conflict plus I am reasonably sure once Woolsey realizes why the IOA put him in charge, I suspect he will rebel some and learn to make the bests decisions for Atlantis and not necessarily the IOA. After all he is stuck on Atlantis and his survival will be important to him. I can't see him risking his own life no matter what the IOA tell him. Kinda reminds me of Barrett's character on SG-1 NID kinda but not , helps SG-1 sometimes but still reporting to the NID potential for lots of great drama.
            That sounds good

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
            I'd really like that
            Yup, same here

Comment

Have to say I'm warming to the idea slowly

I can see eye-rolling from Caldwell and scorched air from Ellis.....
              Not to mention a few decisional over-rides, with extreme prejudice.....

Comment

Originally posted by GateLadyM View Post
                I can't believe this. A few episodes for Beckett, no mention of Weir at all, and, OMG, WOOLSEY? That wishy washy CREEP????????????????????????

OMG, I can't stomach this. *runs off to barf*
                Weir is metioned in the press release, believed to be starting the arc that we got a glimpse at the end of in Be All My Sins Remembered.

Take a step back for a moment, cast change can have a postive effect on a show it opens doors to new stories, new relationships between the new character and the ones that were already there.

Personally I'm intrigued in how this all works out, which is exactly what TPTB will be hoping for because it will mean I'll tune in to the new season just to see what happens to Carter and the friction between Woolsey and the rest of the team.

The character of Woolsey has changed since we first saw him back in Heroes in season seven of SG-1, back then he took more of a hardline view on the event, but he's changed and has come to realise that the work being done by the likes of the Atlantis team is something that should be admired to a point.

Comment

Originally posted by Landers View Post
                  TPTB can now "ship" Woolsey and Keller. They can whine, cry and snivel together for us every week! Just think of the marvelous stories!

Good grief. What have they done to my show????? *cries*
                  Your show?

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                    My only misgiving is with Carson. Give him a few more eps, which could happen. I don't think 5 is the final number since they have not written the entire season just yet.
                    Yup, I hope that's the case. As an avid Save Carson campaigner I feel like only giving him 5 episodes is a kick in the pants, and, almost, an insult to the character in a way.

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                    Sheppard's team is still there, so that will be left undone. That has been the same for 4 seasons now.
                    That is definitely something to be thankful for, with the exception of Ford the team has stayed intact and hopefully will remain so.

Proudly Supporting Team USA

Comment

i think ellis and woolsey will get along fine. there both non sense type people who like to get to the point
                      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

It's going to be interesting - especially the reaction on Atlantis when the new commander walks through the Gate.

Comment

I am a HUGE Robert Picardo fan....and if anyone has the chops to take a spineless bureaucrat and add layers of much needed depth, it's him.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by Über View Post
                            I am a HUGE Robert Picardo fan....and if anyone has the chops to take a spineless bureaucrat and add layers of much needed depth, it's him.

I think he is going to do very well. There will be a lot more conflict with him as leader now. We did not get that this current season.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Über View Post

Well, that settles it. If Über says it's good. Then...it must be good.

Spinless + Layers = Great Choice. Dunno, maybe Über's right.
                              Click statement above to read article.

Comment

I was suprised they went with Woolsey, I figured it was between Caldwell and Ellis.

I do see him bringing a lot of tension and conflict to the show, especially in his dealings with Sheppard. Whether it will be a plus or minus remains to be seen. I'm trying to stay optimistic.
                                Chicago Con Attendee 2011
                                Chicago Con Attendee 2010
                                GateCon Attendee 2008
                                Vancouver Con Attendee 2007

Comment

Working...
                                X