This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by True!Ancient View Post
    Does anybody know who they said was on the shortlist for atlantis commander before carter got the job?
    McKay seemed to believe he would get the job.

Comment

general bauer - too much of an idiot and likely gone for good
      AU Jacob Carter - with continuum it COULD happen, but is very unlikely
      major castleman - unlikely just cause he's a bit part
      col chekhov - good candidate if he wasn't dead
      major coburn - steve bacic is known to the writers but his character hasn't been seen for years
      capt connor - hasn't been seen since s2
      paul davis - a possibility but i don't think it's likely
      dave dixon - my personal fave but if adam baldwin has a job it's unlikely
      col edwards - too big of an idiot
      joe faxon - again dependant on that whole continuum au bit, but he is civilian and i think it'll be military
      feretti - a possibilty even though he hasn't been seen for years
      major green - commander of the alpha site - unlikely
      major griff - again unlikely, not very well known
      hammond - i think unlikely since don has retired
      daniel - i don'tthink they'll bring across a civilian
      kawalsky - more of that AU thing
      general kerrigan - commander of the academy. a possibility but unlikely
      landry - a possibility that i wouldn't like
      lorne - i'd love it but he's just a major
      makepeace - last i knew he was dead/sentenced to death
      maybourne - very unlikely
      jack - love it but i don't know if rick wants to come
      simon - liz's ex - points against him for being a civilian
      reynolds - i consider him a likely candidate
      ellis - a possibilty but needs to be toned down a LOT. h e's too adversarial
      caldwell - probably the easiest fit
      samuels - highly unlikley

woolsey...i'd hate it. he's the super wimp that tosses his title around. him being in command would be like rodney being in command. interesting for a bit the so annoying i'd turn off the set
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Wow, Sky, you really carried over with the full list, there.

But it looks like the above spoilerrific pic up there is very, very convincing. That's... all I'm gonna say on that one. Wow.
        If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

I think it will either be Caldwell or Woosely.

They both are aware of the procedures to run Atlantis and what the job entales.

However I think Caldwell has a better chance than Woosely, well because Woolsey is one of those guys everybody hates, the man that can pull the (money) lever down at any minute.

Now back to Caldwell, my thinking is that sense he has yet to sign on for the new X-files movie that either they don't want him, or he his considering an offer by the Stargate franchise. Thats the way I see it.

Comment

Originally posted by lostinspace View Post
            I too think it's Woolsey. That would add a new element to the show, tightening the IOA's control, esp. on the heels of Weir (civilian diplomat), Carter (military scientist) and Sheppard's alleged MIA status (from The Last Man speculation) and ongoing continuity/tension between Woolsey/IOA and the Atlantis crew. Besides, there's also this spoilery shot (found via the LJ sga_spoilers community):
            Spoiler:
            That is from The Last Man, shot ages ago, before they knew that Carter wouldn't be the Commander in s5.

Comment

Originally posted by lostinspace View Post
              I too think it's Woolsey. That would add a new element to the show, tightening the IOA's control, esp. on the heels of Weir (civilian diplomat), Carter (military scientist) and Sheppard's alleged MIA status (from The Last Man speculation) and ongoing continuity/tension between Woolsey/IOA and the Atlantis crew. Besides, there's also this spoilery shot (found via the LJ sga_spoilers community):
              Spoiler:

Let Caldwell and Ellis continue as space ship commanders. In fact, Carter could head up a new "research/war" vessel (if that's even possible in S5, maybe linked to the Travellers). As for the others, bring back Carson, and maybe consider Michael / Todd for recurring!
              In my opinion, I have a list of who is a potential candidate and who isn't:

Possibilities:
              - Ellis... he is a cocky military leader with potential leadership, young, risk taker, and has casts his authority over those in his command...runs a tight ship - by the book. Really could shake things up in Atlantis.
              - O'Neill...Jack did not really feel comfortable taking over for Hammond in the first place, plus he did not like to see his own team SG1 go out on missions while he was sitting behind a desk. Now that Mitchell oversees SG1, Jack knows the team is in good hands. Not to mention, it gives an oppertunity for Jack to have a new challenge/adventure, and do what ever he wants...mission wise. I can see that the politician side would be boring after awhile. *PLUS, this would give a nice plug for the Stargate: Continuum movie.
              - Woolsey...... this is a nice option for the IOA, and just about everyone cannot stand him in the first place. Not to mention over time, he has earned a little respect from SGC, and has began to wise up a little...compassion has finally set in over the years. His character has certainly developed...I can see Tayla being his second in command here.

Not a Possibility:
              - Daniel Jackson...... Daniel is too busy dealing with research and findings in his galaxy, while it would seem that Daniel has always wanted to be at Atlantis, the whole AOT movie wraps that storyline up, where there is really no reason for Daniel to be on Atlantis anymore. Not to mention , that Daniel is not a leader......he is a research scientist, archeologist...even if his tenue was on Atlantis - it would be a brief one. Plus, I rememeber reading that MS wanted to spend more time with family -especially after a 10 year run of the series.
              - Teal'c.... too busy with the free'd Jaffa nation in straightening that whole mess out.
              - Landry... he has too cozy of an assignment with SGC, there would be no reason for him to alter command to SGC-A.
              - Hammond....... Davis, retired from acting F/T, for medical reasons.
              - McKay..... too indecisive, could not make a strategic decision if he could - even under pressure. He is the main scientist on the base/mission, the Daniel Jackson of SG1....no reason to change his character. Plus, McKay being a leader......he'd get shot by the end of week one!
              - Tayla...... character has great potential as a diplomat, leadership qualities, but I do not think that SGC and the IOA would place the command of Atlantis under someone that they cannot influence or control. I see her as an assistance (or a #1) to whoever gets command.....especially since she will have her child there on the base. Her mission days will be limited in the coming days.

Wishful Thinking Possibility:
              - Mitchell.... being that SG1 is no longer on the air or made (just the movies), it would be nice to transfer the command of SG1 to someone else, and give Mitchell a higher command (especially after SGAOT and SG:C). Bringing back the character is always hopeful...but it may not be possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                woolsey...i'd hate it. he's the super wimp that tosses his title around. him being in command would be like rodney being in command. interesting for a bit the so annoying i'd turn off the set
                Yep. I don't like Woolsey and I don't see how he could be convincing as a leader considering TPTB had the SGA characters walk all over him in his last two eps. He's like Kav, every time you see him you know that he's going to complain but be "put in his place" in the end. Conflict? Please, Shep and McKay would just roll their eyes and do what they want to anyway and prove that they were right in the end, much like Weir and Carter did to Woolsey when he was reviewing them. And Woolsey is not military, so Shep is no longer automatically bound to his orders.

I don't want to see some tertiary SG1 character in charge on SGA. Plus, Woolsey is civilian. Didn't TPTB state how great it was to have Carter because she was military and all these fans stated it made more sense to militarize Atlantis in s4? So why would it now be logical to revert Atlantis back to civilian control? It wouldn't.

Caldwell is my preference.

Comment

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
                  That is from The Last Man, shot ages ago, before they knew that Carter wouldn't be the Commander in s5.
                  Oh.
                  If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

They were probably looking at Existing Characters when they decided to remove the civilian leader (Weir).

Caldwell was no doubt on it (would be an interesting dynamic, and we know he wants the job)

I'm positive Sheppard was on it, as Carter said (writers might like what they did with putting O'Neill in charge)

Also possibly Daniel Jackson (the "logical choice" over and above Carter to many)

Also General Landry, since he's kind of unemployed now.

Comment

Wolsey would be too weak as a leader
                      Teal'c would not get on with Ronon
                      Jack is (sorry to say) too old, and it would be a step downwards
                      AU Wier a possibility but, I don't think the actress want to be full time
                      Cadwell and Ellis are both ship commanders and it diffficult to leave a job like that.
                      That Leaves Michael Shanks but like someone says, will they want to go from military to civilian again
                      What would the IOA want - well I say Bates

Just a guess!!

Comment

I don't really think Teal'c wouldn't get along with Ronon, as I'd imagine by the end of 'Midway' they're going to be getting along just fine, and I don't think Jack is too old, either, as Hammond was still older than he is now when SG-1 began, and Landry's up there, too, and most military generals are to begin with.

But there are plenty other reasons I don't think Teal'c or Jack would be it, so yeah.

Comment

I think you guys are discounting Sheppard too easily. This isn't like SG1 where they go off world every week. Think Sisko in DS9; He commanded the station and took ships out when needed (ship stationed at Atlantis?).

That said, i'm not convinced myself. While i'm certain the writers could make it work I think i'd rather just have a whole new leader.

On a different note, the thought of Teyla leading Atlantis just made me die a little inside.
                          Kevan Smith: "I shoot it, I go home, I get drunk."

Comment

Since everyone is guessing, can I join the fun?

Well, my first thought was Daniel. Because we know he is guest starring in season five and he fits the job. However, I think that would be a waste of his character and Michael Shanks would want something more exciting to do. The same goes for RDA.

So I think it is either Caldwell or Woolsey.
                            Since the new commander is an addition to the regular cast (Joe Mallozzi's words) it can't be anyone from SGA-1 so I ruled them out.
                            Woolsey would fit the IOA criteria and Caldwell the military command. I'm not sure I would choose either of them but that's what I think could happen.

I would lean towards Woolsey for political reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by scififreak23 View Post
                              it could be woosley-that would be the most intresting choice.I really enjoy his character so i wouldn't mind seeing him more often.

it also could be daniel jackson-do we know how many episodes he's been confirmed in?

my two other choices that i would really like to see is either jonas quinn or major paul davis.I think both would do a great job at running atlantis.
                              We know Daniel is coming to Atlantis for "a stay" as JM put it in his blog. I would put my money on Daniel. If Daniel was only coming for 2 eps...JM would announced it all over the place like they did with Jack.

It's too quiet when it comes to Daniel. JM is deliberately skirting around the character but dropping juicy little hints. I say it's Daniel!

It makes perfect sense too...the majority of fans want Daniel on Atlantis. Daniel is more than qualified for the position. Atlantis is a civilian run expedition and with no more Wier and sounds like Teyla may not be back full time too...they still need a negotiator.

Woosley would be an interesting choice but woosley would surely get the city sunk in no time.

caldwell? I believe the actor has another job going and that is the reason for ellis filling in with another super ship.

Ellis...no! If he's placed in charge I will not watch season 5. However I would love to see Daniel tell Ellis where to go.

My prediction is:

Daniel's the new commander of the city.
                              Sam is called back to Earth for some odd reason--maybe to run the SGC after Landry retired? (There is absolutely no hard god given reason for a base the size of the SGC, in Norad, to be run by a general. A colonel should do just fine. Colonel run airbases too after all. It would give an opportunity to bring Carter in and not have SGC scenes with no commanding officer in them.)
                              Wier does get a few eps in season 5.
                              beckett gets a few eps in season 5.
                              Teyla is leaving the show...will be back as guest spot.
                              New captian is Teyla's replacement...they are writing Teyla out because her "story arc" takes her to places they don't want to continue writing for IMO.

I haven't bothered to watch the show for nearly a month now and I am just waiting for the carson ep...and to see the cliffhanger. To be honest the only way I would even consider watching season five is if they either brought back Wier and Carson full time or brought in Daniel as a regular.
                              Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Tobias View Post
                                You're probably safe for that reason- there is an X-Files film in production right now (which he presumebly is in) and would probably intefere with S5 filming to much.
                                Spoiler:
                                It's pretty much certain that Skinner was killed off in the last episode

Comment

Working...
                                X