Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm...I did seem confrontational, didn't I? Well, I don't know what happened, because I thought I was merely asking questions, and I was definitely chilled at the time. Apologies if it seemed otherwise.

And are you kidding? Of course I see that, except for me, it's more like...

"It's when they say *****y, nasty, snarky things about [TPTB] that it becomes a problem."

And I'm sure you can see that.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
      Hmm...I did seem confrontational, didn't I? Well, I don't know what happened, because I thought I was merely asking questions, and I was definitely chilled at the time. Apologies if it seemed otherwise.

And are you kidding? Of course I see that, except for me, it's more like...

"It's when they say *****y, nasty, snarky things about [TPTB] that it becomes a problem."

And I'm sure you can see that.
      TPTB make the decisions. The actors don't.

That makes the difference. The actors are doing what TPTB tell them. If there's a problem, it lies with the people in charge, not with the actors who are following instructions.

Comment

They're both people embedded within the big machine that is the entertainment industry, and neither are the top clog; neither deserve the nasty crap flung at them from fans who don't know the whole picture.

Comment

Originally posted by Amalthea View Post
          I think Weir is going to be back in the Replicator story arc for sure, but likely will not be returning in the command role. Having her come back as a semi-regular enemy/kind of not an enemy/we're not sure role would be very interesting. Shades of grey with characters is thumbs up in my book.
          Exactly. We know who Weir was...her heart, her compassion, her humor...but who is she now? Have the nanites changed her in some way or is her core still intact? Or even better...is she changed for the worse yet still has it within her to recover? That would be a powerful arc...watching not only the physical rescue of the character but the psychological and emotional one as well.

But I agree. Weir is not returning to her post with the expedition. The IOA had already turned her into a "figurehead" (her words) who was ignored and disregarded when major issues came to pass...so they'd certainly not favor her returning to her post even if/when she is rescued.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2008/0...ngs_depa.shtml

"Carter will be one of a number of familiar faces that will be popping up in the Pegasus Galaxy in Season Five -- including a new commander. Remember way back, when I said we had considered a handful of possible candidates for the command position at the beginning of Season Four? Well, this person made that short list then, and we're very excited about his/her/its(?) addition to our cast of regulars."
            Just curious but did anyone notice the it in the qoute? Might refer to a replicator?. Wishful thinking I know.
            BEST OF BOTH WORLDS

Comment

Hey, people are actually still using the motto I came up with for the Save Weir Campaign. Been busy for a couple of weeks, so it's great to come back here and see it in a sig or two. Makes me feel special and such.

I wish to hell and back she returned as base commander after a few episodes dealing with what's going on with her, followed by an angst-filled ep with lots of redemption themes and whatnot, much in the vein of Teal'c's early fifth season moment. Hm, how fitting, fifth season. But anyway, considering what's been said so far, not going to happen.

As for the new base commander, it could end up being that woman that was mentioned, Alison Porter, though I actually rather doubt it. First off, Mallozzi probably would have noted she's already been brought up -- well, not directly, but the wording probably would have been different. I think. Otherwise, the more obvious -- she's 28, she's 'just' a captain, she 'hasn't been assigned to a team'... it sounds more like Porter could simply end up being either a recurring or a two- or three-off that ends their story dying bravely.

If it's going to be an SG-1 pull, I'd love to see Daniel be the pick, but I'd also love to see Cameron, but I'm not only torn on both, I see the logical flaws with them, too.

Daniel could get a bit too over-his-head with lack of experience in leadership and desire to leap into everything from an explorer's perspective -- but then again, these are things the IOA pointed at Weir about, and so it isn't downright impossible. But having both Carter and Daniel 'elsewhere' -- though we don't really know where Carter's going to 'go' after this -- it would fracture the impact of the SG-1 movies even moreso if there are further installments to be had. Already, Jack's usually doing something else. All we'd have left that wouldn't feel like Worf always conveniently finding his way back home for the TNG movies would be Teal'c, incidentally the 'Worf' of the show.

And then there's Cameron Mitchell; in addition to being rather newbish in the chain of command for such a promotion from a military perspective, he also isn't the explorer that Weir and Danny are, so he scores points on neither. Not to mention, being an avid and devout 'Scaper, I'd also prefer Ben Browder be currently signed only for further SG-1 telemovies, because, uhh, he's more available that way, and the future is bright again for Farscape for the first time since 2004, so... purely selfish off-franchise reasoning there.

You know, rereading Mallozzi's statement from earlier, having suggested Porter to begin with was a stupid idea. He said it's a 'familiar face', based on the wording, so... hmm. Daniel, Mitchell... you know, it'd even be funny to see it end up being Teal'c somehow, but I doubt that would happen. Vala is clearly impossible, which means watch them end up doing it, but it'd be a cold day in hell before I could believe the reasoning. Hammond? Doubtful, for multiple reasons. Landry? Could be.

Could be any of a dozen or so memorable faces from SG-1, too, maybe.

Also, I'm randomly concerned for a member of the team's continued stay if Porter is looking for a team. Hopefully I'm completely wrong, because while I didn't feel too keen on Teyla before (which isn't to say I disliked her, I just wouldn't have minded terribly if she'd left for whatever reason) I really feel like I've come to like her in this season.
              If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

Basically Weir now will only work as a Replicator gone mad, insane if you will so pretty much Weir is dead as we or anyone else knew her. Even if she (as human) turned out to be alive there is no way tptb could possibly justify, or skirt regulations and rules and have her as a part of Atlantis again... not in my book. It would be like expecting Ford to just rejoin the TEAM if he came back.

This is also what I worry about with Beckett but that is for another thread.

As for Daniel being commander, would they really go with another civilian? *shrugs* Again another thread... do we have one yet? I bet we do.

*goes off to look*

Comment

Originally posted by alyssa View Post
                  All these "It's not realistic for her to return as leader" etc etc comments -- I have to say, it's fiction. Not just that, it's science fiction.

Beckett was killed. His body went through the gate. But he's coming back. Is that realistic? No. Half the members of SGA and SG1 have been inhabited by various alien entitites. Teyla has her connection to the Wraith. Is it realistic that they'd be trusted again? No, but they are.

There is just as much possibility storywise for Weir to be brought back, to be back to 'good', to be the leader, as there is of anything else happening on this show.

The sticking point is what TPTB want, and I hate to say it, but JM seems to love provoking and snarking at Weir fans too much to want to bring her back for anything more than a couple of episodes. Which is his loss.

The possibilities all come down to what those in charge want, not what's 'realistic' to the viewers. Anything can be made to be realistic, anything can be explained away. This is scifi.

The fact that Mallozzi lets through snarky, *****y comments on his blog about various actors, though, gives me a good idea of what he thinks of them, and what he thinks of their character.

That, more than anything else, indicates who's coming, going, staying, 'in good' with TPTB.

Amen. Green for you

Comment

Yeah, Weir COULD come back as leader of Atlantis, but I don't think it will happen.

I'm afraid that Monday won't mean anything for Weir fans. There's probably no news in the announcement that concerns Weir. I think Torri will be billed as a special guest star or something and I doubt they will annouce any guest stars. But I hope I'm wrong!
                    sigpic
                    "It's time to begin..."

Comment

Originally posted by Livingstone View Post
                      Yeah, Weir COULD come back as leader of Atlantis, but I don't think it will happen.

I'm afraid that Monday won't mean anything for Weir fans. There's probably no news in the announcement that concerns Weir. I think Torri will be billed as a special guest star or something and I doubt they will annouce any guest stars. But I hope I'm wrong!
                      I have that feeling, too...

On Weir being back:

One thing I'm possibly viewing as (wishful) thinking is that we have the 100th episode to contend with. As it is something many show creators like to have as a 'hallmark' episode, I would not be surprised if the Weir storyline began right after the mid-season 2 parter and resolved in part with the 100th episode. It would make sense, and be fitting--it could also mean the potential to see Weir back in her office, or on Atlantis's balcony, because what better way to bring a story full circle than to have it resolve in episode 100, the finale of the season?

And Weir can always come back as head. People can always come back in sci-fi, in whatever capacity. If they can come back from death, they can come back as leader of the expedition, replicator, part-replicator, clone, cyborg, mutant shark, terminator or not. Considering they had no problem shirking the rules when Sheppard and the rest defied direct military orders in "The Return", and they've been able to make us believe that the IOA still though a civilian commander was a good idea after "The Siege" series, anything is possible. I agree with above that it'll depend on what TPTB wants, not what 'makes sense'.

As for the new commander--if he's male, I'll be content. I don't want another female, and considering 'this person' made the short list, I'm guessing it's either an SG-1 or SGA regular/guest we're familiar with. And if they're bringing in "Allison Porter", it seems to me they're doing so to balance out the lack of female presence--which would also make sense if the new commander wasn't a female. They'd need another girl besides Teyla to 'be PC.'

I'm not betting on Daniel--though I wouldn't deny it as possible, I can't imagine him doing what Elizabeth did, and sit around watching others explore and discover. I don't know if Daniel fans would go for it. My money's on Caldwell, as he almost got his hands on Sheppard's military post, and that would be a REALLY interesting conflict--Caldwell's straight up military, and has never particularly cared for the Atlantis Expedition's 'bending of the rules' when it came to saving lives. He and Sheppard would face off, and that could be fun.
                      Though no one replaces Weir in my book.
                      Last edited by Eri13; 02 February 2008, 08:03 AM.
                      Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Originally posted by SMB_BOOKS View Post
                        WEIR'S ALIVE IN SEASON 5!

Here's what I'm hoping for. (I'm done trying to figure out what the hell TPTB are going to do. Not worth my time anymore).

ANYHOO - In MY Season 5.....
                        She's the real Elizabeth Weir played by Torri Higginson.
                        She's an ally.
                        She gets to come home to Atlantis.
                        There will be drama and angst getting her back, but it WILL happen and there will be a happy resolution for this character.
                        She's in a hell of a lot more eps in Season 5 than she was in Season 4.
                        Hear! Hear!

Originally posted by Livingstone View Post

Exactly. Monday doesn't excite one bit, just like SGA in general.
                        Torri Higginson: "Elizabeth had a mad crush on Sheppard."
                        at Halfway Con - Sparktastic weekend with Joe and Torri, on October 30, 2011

R.I.P. Stargate Atlantis (S1-S3)

Comment

I will be very disappointed if we do not see the Weir from BAMSR in s5. Hell, at this point I may only be watching the eps with Weir next season - little else appeals to me anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
                            I will be very disappointed if we do not see the Weir from BAMSR in s5. Hell, at this point I may only be watching the eps with Weir next season - little else appeals to me anymore.
                            It will most likely be that Weir. I do hope she has a decent amount of eps and not just one or two.
                            sigpic

Comment

Id be cool with caldwell as commander. As for Weir i bet she shows up at some pivitol moment ^,^

Comment

I still think it's Sedge.

Comment

Working...
                                X