This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cabouse18 View Post
    I just really hope they develop her character more in S5 b/c so far she has remained constant....so I would like to see some character evolution next season otherwise my opinion of the character will remain the same.
    I'm sure she will be.
    Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
    "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
    Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by atfan View Post
      I agree Keller is nice but she needs some definite toughing up maybe some sparring sessions with Ronan? I just find it very hard to believe that they would let her go into what is a combat area with no weapons training or military type combat training.
      I think she would get creamed in a sparring session... against Rodney!!
      Um... okay, lol, but you do have a good point. All the other doctors on SG have had at least some training, they have a rough idea of what to do in a combat situation even if all it is is to get down and stay out of the way and help the injured.

Proudly Supporting Team USA

Comment

Originally posted by cabouse18 View Post
        I just really hope they develop her character more in S5 b/c so far she has remained constant....so I would like to see some character evolution next season otherwise my opinion of the character will remain the same.
        I think we've seen quite a bit for evolution so far. She was introduced under trying circumstances at best and yet kept her cool. She wasn't too egotistical to admit she need help to save Weir. She was the first to figure out what was going on in Doppleganger. She's a good doctor who cares for her patients.

She was tossed into the unexpected and unknown in Missing. While she whined about the circumstances (and no one on SGA has ever done that before), she came through in the end by buying enough time for rescue to reach them.

The writers have established her as somewhat out of her element. She views the universe (so far) from her sheltered childhood, but she's not too intimidated to fuss at Ronon (or kiss him) or Sheppard, and even after being scared out of her mind in Missing she was willing to go off-world in The Seer.

Not a bad bit of development for someone we've only seen in 6 eps this season (so far).
        sigpic
        Sig by Luciana
        My LJ Proud member of W.A.S.P. My Fanfics

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffles View Post
          Not a bad bit of development for someone we've only seen in 6 eps this season (so far).
          Honestly, the only development for me has been downward.

The character was introduced in First Strike. I thought, hmm. Didn't really form a conclusion either way.

I next saw her in Doppelganger (courtesy of the iTunes snafu). And I liked her a lot. She was cheerful, fun while interacting with the team, intelligent and professional. I thought, wow! I like her!

Adrift - well, I wasn't quite so impressed there. She was a little too hesitant in dealing with Weir's situation, and I didn't like that she let Rodney take all the blame when the two of them had worked together on the nanite fix. But she did handle Sheppard pretty well in telling him about Weir, and she worked together well with Rodney in working on the nanites. All in all, I was still fine with her.

Tabula Rasa - this was the first episode where she started getting on my nerves. And it wasn't anything she did particularly - it was just that she talked in a monotone through the whole freaking episode, and it drove me crazy. That was the first time I thought...ok, maybe this might not be such a great thing.

Missing. Oh dear. I know a lot of people didn't have a problem with her here, but I did. Even more so the second time I watched. Everything that could be said about this episode has probably already been said, but her reactions were IMO over the top and cliched, and her breakdown at the bridge was the worst part for me. I did appreciate that she pulled it together in the end, but it didn't redeem the earlier parts of the episode. And I'll admit I deeply resented that the episode focused so much time on her when it was supposed to be Teyla's episode and I'd been waiting for a Teyla episode for so long.

The Seer - She wasn't in this episode that much for me to have a problem with, although there was still the monotone thing going on.

This Mortal Coil - I actually liked repli!Keller. Jewel managed to bring just the right mix of sincere and creepy to the part, and I thought it worked very well.

Quarantine was a major step downward, not least because of the cuddle/almost kiss with Ronon. If they'd left that scene out completely, along with the talk about her missing parties growing up, it might not have seemed so bad.

We'll see how Trio goes. I'm not excited about this episode, but she actually is better with Rodney than she is with some of the other characters - she acts more like a professional with him than like a high school girl.

The truth is - there is potential there. Jewel Staite is a good actress. But they've gone about creating this character all wrong. They've pushed too much information on us too fast. We've learned more about Keller's background than we've learned about some of our main characters in three years! They're trying too hard to make her a sympathetic character and to integrate her with the regulars, instead of simply creating a professional character and gradually let her grow into the position and the relationships.

And of course, all of the above is only my opinion!
          - Life after Stargate -
          Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
          Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
            Honestly, the only development for me has been downward.

<snippage for length>

And of course, all of the above is only my opinion!

As was mine. Ah, well. To each their own. Love you anyway, friend.
            sigpic
            Sig by Luciana
            My LJ Proud member of W.A.S.P. My Fanfics

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffles View Post

As was mine. Ah, well. To each their own. Love you anyway, friend.
              Definitely each to their own. Thanks for the love. It was a little lengthy - sorry about that. I actually wasn't responding so much to your comment as just seizing the opportunity to write out something I'd been thinking about. If it came across as an attack, I do deeply apologize.
              - Life after Stargate -
              Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
              Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
              sigpic

Comment

I have a surprise for you guys. I have returned from the future with the S6 cast list.
                Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                Season 6 Cast...
                Spoiler:
                Leads
                Urgo (replaces Sheppard)
                Lucious (Replaces Ronon)
                Kavanagh (Replaces Mckay)
                Larrin (replaces Teyla)
                Recurring
                Sheppard recurring - 1 ep
                Mckay recurring 1 1/2 ep
                Teyla and Ronon are killed off in the first episode
                Carter and Woolsey go back to earth and make babies
                Keller and Carson go back to earth and make more than just babies.
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                  I have a surprise for you guys. I have returned from the future with the S6 cast list.

That would be a really weird S6!

Comment

Originally posted by FenRiR FoXz View Post
                    That would be a really weird S6!
                    No kidding!!! LOL!!

Proudly Supporting Team USA

Comment

Wow, more big cast changes; very scary but intriguing at the same time.

If this was one year ago I would be yelling “I was right!” I really thought Woolsey was going to be in as commander last year, and was a bit surprised when Carter was announced. This year I was less sure but was leaning toward Caldwell.

Honestly, I would have concerns (pro/con) with no matter who they chose for leader.

I really liked Weir and miss her as commander but I had pro and cons with her continuing as leader. I had pro and cons with Carter coming in. I love AT and like Carter but so far this season I am having trouble seeing her as being comfortable with being head of Atlantis. She almost fits in so well with her military and scientific background that her character has not been as interesting as I hoped.

There are pro cons with Woolsey and Caldwell.

Caldwell pro – proven leader, military through and through, tough/no nonsense: cons – tough and military through and through, I would have a hard time seeing the IOA choosing him and even a harder time seeing Caldwell having to answer to the IOA first.

Woolsey pro – civilian, IOA, administrator: cons - civilian, IOA, administrator. He has not always been depicted as the bravest person around I do not think he is a wimp – he has shown some balls (can I say that?) from time to time.

I think having Woolsey in as leader offers the possibility of some intriguing storylines and character conflict. His character certainly needs to grow a little and that could be interesting. Also it gives John more of a chance to be military leader because I don’t see Woolsey wanting to go out on off world adventures and I don’t see him as being able to offer scientific advice to Rodney. It will be comfortable or natural to see Woolsey as the stay on base administrator and let the team do their thing – which I think the role of leader is supposed to be if Stargate history is taken into account. And being that the IOA oversees the Atlantis expedition it makes sense that they would want one of their own in charge. I don't think he is going to be automatically a good leader, but I do think the character has the potential to grow into the role of leader.

Keller – not sure how I feel about her being a regular; I do not dislike the character but I have not really warmed up to her yet either. I am still in a wait and see mode.

Carson – Back for 5 – wish it was more but happy that it is at least 5 and not 1 or worse 0.

Weir – I want to see Weir back for a good 3 -5 eps. I think the potential storyline they set up in BAMSR screams for good and thorough follow-through. I think Torri will rock their socks off with it.

Daniel – okay – I really like Daniel, but it should be a good story and make a lot of sense that he is there. I hope just 2 eps for him because it is Atlantis not SG-1

Porter – could be an interesting reoccurring character. The one TPTB that have been pretty good at is writing reoccurring characters – Zalenka, Lorne, Caldwell, Ellis, Cadman to name a few. This is another wait and see on who and what the character will be doing before I decide if it a good or bad decision.

All in all I think the changes are scary, unexpected, intriguing, provocative, and have potential. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
                      Last edited by EdenSG; 06 February 2008, 06:58 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by EdenSG View Post
                        Wow, more big cast changes; very scary but intriguing at the same time.

If this was one year ago I would be yelling “I was right!” I really thought Woolsey was going to be in as commander last year, and was a bit surprised when Carter was announced. This year I was less sure but was leaning toward Caldwell.

Honestly, I would have concerns (pro/con) with no matter who they chose for leader.

I really liked Weir and miss her as commander but I had pro and cons with her continuing as leader. I had pro and cons with Carter coming in. I love AT and like Carter but so far this season I am having trouble seeing her as being comfortable with being head of Atlantis. She almost fits in so well with her military and scientific background that her character has not been as interesting as I hoped.

There are pro cons with Woolsey and Caldwell.

Caldwell pro – proven leader, military through and through, tough/no nonsense: cons – tough and military through and through, I would have a hard time seeing the IOA choosing him and even a harder time seeing Caldwell having to answer to the IOA first.

Woolsey pro – civilian, IOA, administrator: cons - civilian, IOA, administrator. He has not always been depicted as the bravest person around I do not think he is a wimp – he has shown some balls (can I say that?) from time to time.

I think having Woolsey in as leader offers the possibility of some intriguing storylines and character conflict. His character certainly needs to grow a little and that could be interesting. Also it gives John more of a chance to be military leader because I don’t see Woolsey wanting to go out on off world adventures and I don’t see him as being able to offer scientific advice to Rodney. It will be comfortable or natural to see Woolsey as the stay on base administrator and let the team do their thing – which I think the role of leader is supposed to be if Stargate history is taken into account. And being that the IOA oversees the Atlantis expedition it makes sense that they would want one of their own in charge. I don't think he is going to be automatically a good leader, but I do think the character has the potential to grow into the role of leader.

Keller – not sure how I feel about her being a regular; I do not dislike the character but I have not really warmed up to her yet either. I am still in a wait and see mode.

Carson – Back for 5 – wish it was more but happy that it is at least 5 and not 1 or worse 0.

Weir – I want to see Weir back for a good 3 -5 eps. I think the potential storyline they set up in BAMSR screams for good and thorough follow-through. I think Torri will rock their socks off with it.

Daniel – okay – I really like Daniel, but it should be a good story and make a lot of sense that he is there. I hope just 2 eps for him because it is Atlantis not SG-1

Porter – could be an interesting reoccurring character. The one TPTB that have been pretty good at is writing reoccurring characters – Zalenka, Lorne, Caldwell, Ellis, Cadman to name a few. This is another wait and see on who and what the character will be doing before I decide if it a good or bad decision.

All in all I think the changes are scary, unexpected, intriguing, provocative, and have potential. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
                        That's the healthiest approach ('wait and see') possible towards a TV show's upcoming season!
                        sigpic

Well, not anymore... Good bye Atlantis!

Comment

Working...
                        X