This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
    I personally don't believe it was successful. I still think they could have done pretty much everything they did this year, and still have Weir there. And while some of the episodes have been good, that's not due to Weir's absense IMO - it's simply due to more attention by the writers, which could have been accomplished without removing Weir.

And while I don't hate everything about it - some things are good - Season 4 is still only running neck and neck with S2 IMO. I liked Seasons 1 & 3 much better. If it weren't for episodes like BAMSR, it would be below S2.
    Weir truly added to this season. It could of been still great without her, to me it was even better her roles. I think the producers want to continue this. As much as I like to see her in more than a few eps. A quarter of a season seems very accurate. They cannot stray from this. Weir is not being Forded. Her last ep was totally different than Ford's last episode.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
      Weir truly added to this season. It could of been still great without her, to me it was even better her roles. I think the producers want to continue this. As much as I like to see her in more than a few eps. A quarter of a season seems very accurate. They cannot stray from this. Weir is not being Forded. Her last ep was totally different than Ford's last episode.

That is true. And that (and BAMSR in general) is the reason for my renewed optimism - I was very discouraged about SGA after TMC. I looked at the second half lineup and was wondering if I really wanted to keep punishing myself like this. BAMSR was far from perfect, but I still enjoyed it, and it renewed my interest in the show.
      - Life after Stargate -
      Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
      Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
        When the character was first introduced, so much was made of her diplomatic skills, her gift with languages, etc., yet in three seasons, we barely got to see that part of her in action. Those skills could be put to far better use in the field. Perhaps not as a permanent member of any specific off-world team (so she could go out with Sheppard's team, or Lorne's, or another team), but maybe as an at-large expert that would accompany a team when the mission required her particular skill set. Or maybe I just want to see Torri in leather and the tac gear more often.
        Originally posted by ddc View Post
        I think the Weir in BAMSR is the original, just gone a bit dark by her experiences. I'd like her to eventually return to Atlantis, after seeing whatever she's planning now with "her" Replicators play out. But taking on more of Daniel's role, an actual member of the team, doing the diplomatic & linguistic stuff, with the occassional situation where her being not quite human comes in handy (self healing, hacking into computers).
        Just wanted to say - I like these two ideas.
        - Life after Stargate -
        Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
        Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
        sigpic

Comment

Definately, that would be a real let down *for me anyway*
          Weir has alot of potential storywise especially where the character is now and I think it would be a credit to season 5 to explore that, plus I would really like to know what exactly she ment in that final statement...

Comment

That is true. And that (and BAMSR in general) is the reason for my renewed optimism - I was very discouraged about SGA after TMC. I looked at the second half lineup and was wondering if I really wanted to keep punishing myself like this. BAMSR was far from perfect, but I still enjoyed it, and it renewed my interest in the show.
            I knew they were not going to kill her off screen like that. The Weir we saw is the orginal real Weir. Question is, Does she still have her humanity or have the nanites totally taken over her? So many questions.
            sigpic

Comment

I knew they were not going to kill her off screen like that. The Weir we saw is the orginal real Weir. Question is, Does she still have her humanity or have the nanites totally taken over her? So many questions.
              Like Repli-Keller said Oberoth believed Weir exerted an unhealth influence on Replicators *and was apparently destroyed for it* so I would go with she is still the original Weir and she is still human... Just with nanites in her.

Comment

I don't know about that. I have a feeling if it is her soul is gone she won't be the Weir we knew ever again.
                Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Not at all. 0

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                    ITA. Bringing her back, good or evil, and not having her interact with the others would be worse than not bringing her back at all.

And I interpreted "real" to mean not a clone or a replicator. The Weir in Lifeline was real IMHO, just not 100% Elizabeth if that makes sense. Much like the Sheppard in Conversion. Nobody that I know of has said he shouldn't have gone back to his old position. If the nanites used to heal Weir can be made inert by some mumbo jumbo I don't plan to pay attention to, I'm all for it. In fact I would love to see her able to heal rapidly or maybe with a few other extrahuman qualities. That sort of thing would make her character interesting and would open up possibilities for giving her more to do. Whether she goes back to the leader or not isn't a big deal to me, but I do want her permanently stationed on Atlantis in some capacity.
                    Agreed. I don't want replicator or clone - it's been done, and it left really bad taste in my mouth. BAMSR left a big door opened for the real Elizabeth to come back, and it also left lot of possibilities for her character. Why not giving her some super - powers? That could lead to her different role in the show and by all means she should be stationed in Atlantis. That's where she truly belongs, removing her was very injustice to her character.

Yes, Sheppard was definitely a security risk in Conversion, but he recovered. Teyla could pose a great security risk due to her mental abilities and her Wraith DNA but somehow that's not an issue. Why would Weir with dormant nanites pose a security risk, for cryin out loud? That's just a very convenient excuse, period.

And it's definitely interesting that majority of voters here want her back in her old job. That definitely means something.

I personally don't believe it was successful. I still think they could have done pretty much everything they did this year, and still have Weir there. And while some of the episodes have been good, that's not due to Weir's absense IMO - it's simply due to more attention by the writers, which could have been accomplished without removing Weir.

And while I don't hate everything about it - some things are good - Season 4 is still only running neck and neck with S2 IMO. I liked Seasons 1 & 3 much better. If it weren't for episodes like BAMSR, it would be below S2.
                    S4 is "meh" to me. Lifeline is still the best episode IMO, and that's because of Weir. Removing her didn't improve anything, it made things worse. Everything they did this season could have been done with Weir there too. Okay, she was taken away from them, but she could have been returned after few episodes and her character could have been developed and explored in more depth. Actually that could have been done with all of them; and Is till don't get this plot - driven writing. It results in OOC behavior much too often. The show would be so much better if it was more character oriented, with sense of developments in PG affecting them, and not "twist the character XY to fit into the desired story" approach that's been practiced too often.
                    I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

I voted for "Real Weir (Recurring): 4-6 episodes".
                      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I still think they could have done pretty much everything they did this year, and still have Weir there. And while some of the episodes have been good, that's not due to Weir's absense IMO - it's simply due to more attention by the writers, which could have been accomplished without removing Weir.
                        The biggest change I see from S3 to S4 is that they are showing the more serious side of Sheppard. Sheppard has effectively been the military commander Atlantis for three years. In that capacity he would have been in charge of all of the military stationed on Atlantis and everything concerning them, including their training and assignments. He would have been in charge of Atlantis security. He was the leader of his team. And yet he was rarely shown in command, doing his job. The emphasis has been on an irreverent, lighter Sheppard. This season TPTB have flip-flopped the portrayal of Sheppard. This season the focus is on Sheppard as a commander, serious and competent. He still has his light side, but it has taken a secondary role. IMO, this is a change long overdue.

Sheppard’s relationship to Weir had become as an errant underling to a maternal boss. This relationship had become so ingrained that it would have been difficult for TPTB to change it. To move beyond that, to focus on Sheppard as a respected military officer, they had to be able to show him as the relative equal of and respected by his superior. To do this simply and effectively, a new leader of Atlantis was needed (yes, military); preferably one that already respected Sheppard. I don’t think this needed to be Carter, but, I think, it has been effective with Carter.

So, I don’t think the transition to season 4 would have been impossible with Weir still as Sheppard’s boss, I do think it would have been less effective and less satisfying, overall. I think they’ve moved beyond the possibility. I can't see them bringing Weir back full time in any capacity.

I don’t think of myself as anti-Weir, but as pro-Atlantis. The changes do not bother me. TPTB have taken Atlantis in a new direction and I’m willing to go with them.
                        sigpic

Comment

Real Weir
                          Good Weir
                          Full-Time
                          Old Job

She has to be the real Elizabeth Weir. She has to be good. I want to see her full-time. I would prefer her old job. But, if she was given a new role that allowed her to interact with Sheppard's team on a regular basis, I might be okay with that.

Real Elizabeth - It's important to me to know Elizabeth did not sacrifice herself in vain. That there is still hope in the galaxy - that good things can happen to good people who care and have compassion. I want a happy ending for Elizabeth.

Good Elizabeth - Turning this character into an permanent enemy of Atlantis would be the ultimate betrayal of everything she stood for. I could not and would not accept that. See above: happy ending, please.

Full-Time Elizabeth - I think Elizabeth has the potential to be an involved member of the team. Whether as leader or as actual off world team member. Her diplomacy, compassion, knowledge of the ancients, experience with the wraith, and now her newly gained, hands on replicator experience brings a lot to the table. And, I think Torri has the skills to pull it off. And, I think she brings a great dynamic to the interaction with the other members of the cast.

Old Role - I definitely agree with others who mention that, given the right circumstances (inert nanites, removal of nanites), Elizabeth should not be a security risk. Others have been comprised and are not in questionable status. TPTB could find a way to resolve Elizabeth's situation as well.

If a new role meant a great opportunity for Elizabeth to be a regular part of the team, again, I could potentially go for that, depending on how it was implemented.

And, I might be able to work with Season 5 being her transition year from Replicator World to Atlantis again, as long as it didn't mean we only saw her a handful of times.....
                          sigpic
                          Signature by Erin87

Comment

Originally posted by blue-skyz View Post
                            The biggest change I see from S3 to S4 is that they are showing the more serious side of Sheppard. Sheppard has effectively been the military commander Atlantis for three years. In that capacity he would have been in charge of all of the military stationed on Atlantis and everything concerning them, including their training and assignments. He would have been in charge of Atlantis security. He was the leader of his team. And yet he was rarely shown in command, doing his job. The emphasis has been on an irreverent, lighter Sheppard. This season TPTB have flip-flopped the portrayal of Sheppard. This season the focus is on Sheppard as a commander, serious and competent. He still has his light side, but it has taken a secondary role. IMO, this is a change long overdue.

Sheppard’s relationship to Weir had become as an errant underling to a maternal boss. This relationship had become so ingrained that it would have been difficult for TPTB to change it. To move beyond that, to focus on Sheppard as a respected military officer, they had to be able to show him as the relative equal of and respected by his superior. To do this simply and effectively, a new leader of Atlantis was needed (yes, military); preferably one that already respected Sheppard. I don’t think this needed to be Carter, but, I think, it has been effective with Carter.

So, I don’t think the transition to season 4 would have been impossible with Weir still as Sheppard’s boss, I do think it would have been less effective and less satisfying, overall. I think they’ve moved beyond the possibility. I can't see them bringing Weir back full time in any capacity.

I don’t think of myself as anti-Weir, but as pro-Atlantis. The changes do not bother me. TPTB have taken Atlantis in a new direction and I’m willing to go with them.

I'm not sure I agree with this assessment. Sheppard and Weir have had an interesting relationship, but the word "maternal" never entered my mind when trying to define it. LOL.

I believe that because of the relationship between the two, Sheppard was allowed to become a competent commander. Weir recognized his abilities long before his military commanders did. They treated him with little more than disdain and suspicion. Sure Weir and Sheppard butted heads, but she fought for him to retain command of Atlantis once contact had been re-established with earth. If it hadn't been for her intevention, Caldwell would be running things, not Sheppard. He'd probably be back on Antarctica piloting helicopters.

IMHO, having a military commander of the overall expedition actually knocks Sheppard down a notch, not up.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nowvoyager908 View Post
                              I'm not sure I agree with this assessment. Sheppard and Weir have had an interesting relationship, but the word "maternal" never entered my mind when trying to define it. LOL.

I believe that because of the relationship between the two, Sheppard was allowed to become a competent commander. Weir recognized his abilities long before his military commanders did. They treated him with little more than disdain and suspicion. Sure Weir and Sheppard butted heads, but she fought for him to retain command of Atlantis once contact had been re-established with earth. If it hadn't been for her intevention, Caldwell would be running things, not Sheppard. He'd probably be back on Antarctica piloting helicopters.

IMHO, having a military commander of the overall expedition actually knocks Sheppard down a notch, not up.

I agree with this - that's the way I see it also.
                              - Life after Stargate -
                              sigpic

Comment

I'm not sure I agree with this assessment. Sheppard and Weir have had an interesting relationship, but the word "maternal" never entered my mind when trying to define it.
                                ‘Maternal’ is exactly the way I see her. She treated Sheppard and McKay like recalcitrant children. (More a S3 thing.)
                                All that is true, but it’s ancient history. He has been the military commander of Atlantis for two years past that. His success at it was his own. We just never got to see him in command much.
                                Actually, Sheppard’s position hasn’t changed much. We haven’t heard anything about the military commander title, but the relationship is still the same: Sheppard has a boss and the rest of the military is under him. There are no other Lt Cols.

Sheppard is being shown in command this season. He is being shown as being a relative equal of and respected by Carter. That is what I want to see, a believable serious, competent, respected Sheppard. We always knew he did his job well. Now we get to see it.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X