Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How should Sci-Fi decide on Season Five or not?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Avenger View Post
    It's one of SciFi's top three rated shows. Not picking up another season would be stupid.
    That's without DVR factored into the equation.
    sigpic

Comment

True, but DVR viewings don't hold as much weight as first run because the commercials aren't watched. It's the advertising that pays the bills. Downloads from services like iTunes and Amazon should be factored in though because people pay for those.
      I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

They'll decide based on whether or not SGA is profitable for the network. If it's too expensive then it doesn't matter how dedicated of a fanbase it has.

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger View Post
          True, but DVR viewings don't hold as much weight as first run because the commercials aren't watched. It's the advertising that pays the bills. Downloads from services like iTunes and Amazon should be factored in though because people pay for those.
          Lmao, as has already been pointed out. Sci-Fi only make money from advertisers. It's MGM who will get all the other revenue.

Let me ask you this: You are the president of Skiffy. You find Stargate is losing viewers on your network. Advertisers are offering less & less for advertisements during Stargate when it airs. Meaning yiou lose money.

Then you find out it's doing great on the internet. It's the top bought show all around the world. Only problem is MGM is getting all the money. So you look yourself in the mirror. One of 2 things pop into your head. 1) Great I'm so happy that Stargate is doing sh1tty on our network because it's popular from being downloaded on the internet. Isn't it great that MGM is making all that money! 2) Who gives a flying fek because the internet money isn't going into our pockets!

If Sci-Fi are making money from it, then they'll factor these additional methods into their decision for renewal. If they aren't making a cent from it, then they won't care less! It's MGM who make all the big bucks & the ones that cares about every little thing. Sci-Fi only cares about who watches it live when it airs on their channel. Nothing more & nothing less!

Comment

It depends in the contract and who has the right to the digital distribution of the show.
            I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

If you watch the commercials during Stargate they cover a wide amount of age groups. That is something advertisers like to see. A show that can hit the key demographics. SGA is scoring very well in that. It's great I can now say Adrift got a 1.4! That number will help in other departments.
              sigpic

Comment

Honestly, when I am watching TiVo, is I see a product I like...I watch the TV ad...lol....but most ppl don't.

Anyway, I think Sci-Fi needs a new way to get money, then. MGM could give them a portion of the sales...or just let them have the iTunes sells....or a portion....who knows.

I know one good way Sci-Fi could get more money from it. Have it free online, at any time...oh, and another way...YOU PAY FOR SCI-FI!!! HAHAHAHA!!! lol j/k. That would suck..considering I only watch Sci-Fi on friday...lol

Comment

Really, it's advertisers that need to change the way they do things. Times have changed, and there is nothing they can do about it. They just have to accept that at least half of people (probably more) will skip through commercials if they can. Until the way they perceive things really changes, we may see a lot of quality shows canceled due to low "live" ratings. I just hope they change things soon enough.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Caldwell's 2IC View Post
                    Toss a coin for Head or Tails ???
                    excellent idea

heads : season 5
                    tails : season 5

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                      Really, it's advertisers that need to change the way they do things. Times have changed, and there is nothing they can do about it. They just have to accept that at least half of people (probably more) will skip through commercials if they can. Until the way they perceive things really changes, we may see a lot of quality shows canceled due to low "live" ratings. I just hope they change things soon enough.
                      Well I read on mediaweek, the link to the article is on the Season 4 ratings thread in the SG news forum. Anyway, said that one of the main advertising groups are going to pay about 8% more for the timeslots, which is called CPM, Costs Per thousand viewers on NBCU cable networks(This includes Sci-fi). As per the FF, the system is very flawed, because not everybody FF a commercial and those that do are likely not to do it all the time, imo. So it looks like they are also changing their ways due to the major impact on DVR. But now it's official SGA is being impacted by DVR by a decent amount. It's good enough to raise a lot of eyebrows, not just Teal'c's! lol!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                        Yeah and one thing they need to do is make better comercials instead onf ones I want to throw my hammer at.
                        Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                        "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                        Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

The commercials people actualy look forward to are the ones shown during the Superbowl. The rest are just a break from the show so you can go raiding the fridge.

Comment

This is how they will decide.

Anticipated advertising revenue from a Season 5 minus the cost of Season 5. That will either equal a profit or a loss. Sure Profit = certain renew. Sure Loss = cancel.

To determine anticipated advertising revenue, they'll look at the whether the ratings are trending down (which they are) and have someone predict what they will be in Season 5 if such a trend continues. Then, they'll have someone predict what type of advertising revenue they will get from those ratings. The accountants will then subtract the cost of the show.

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant View Post
                              This is how they will decide.

Anticipated advertising revenue from a Season 5 minus the cost of Season 5. That will either equal a profit or a loss. Sure Profit = certain renew. Sure Loss = cancel.

To determine anticipated advertising revenue, they'll look at the whether the ratings are trending down (which they are) and have someone predict what they will be in Season 5 if such a trend continues. Then, they'll have someone predict what type of advertising revenue they will get from those ratings. The accountants will then subtract the cost of the show.
                              That is why when people see a 1.1 or 1.2 they assume the worst. There are more numbers involved. Also the 1.4 bump for Adrift is going to add to those more important numbers. Joe m said there is good news within those numbers. I know you will throw the C3 report out at me, but that report really is flawed, especially when all the networks are suffering around a 20% bleed off from DVR. Now if SGA had a 0.2 difference, it could of well had a 15% to 20% difference.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                                That is why when people see a 1.1 or 1.2 they assume the worst. There are more numbers involved. Also the 1.4 bump for Adrift is going to add to those more important numbers. Joe m said there is good news within those numbers. I know you will throw the C3 report out at me, but that report really is flawed, especially when all the networks are suffering around a 20% bleed off from DVR. Now if SGA had a 0.2 difference, it could of well had a 15% to 20% difference.
                                A 0.1 difference isn't that bad and they will add the numbers together from the "C3" ratings. So in any essence they will be higher and the ratings are staying prety close so far so as long as that trend continues and SGA still remains in the top 5 or 10 (unlike Flash) then hopefully it will get renewed though any more than a 0.3 drop and we should be worried.
                                Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                                "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                                Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Working...
                                X