Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think there will be a season 5 of Stargate Atlantis?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eureka 1.6
    Ghost Hunters 1.5
    ECW 1.3
    Destination Truth 1.1
    Atomic Twister 1.1
    Star Trek Enterprise 1.0
    Tornado 0.9
    Dinotopia part one 0.9
    Dinotopia part two 0.9
    Dinotopia part three 0.9

Source: Nielsen Galaxy Report, 7/16/07 -- 7/22/07

Remember, SGA averaged a 1.4 last season soooooooo.

Dr. Who and PKJ did not even make the top 10 once again, ECW falls once again below a 1.4!

Sorry to be blunt, I am just trying to keep everyone's hope up!
    sigpic

Comment

The mere fact ECW is losing ratings now makes me happy. The sooner it drops down below 1.0 the better.

Comment

Originally posted by Teelie View Post
        The mere fact ECW is losing ratings now makes me happy. The sooner it drops down below 1.0 the better.
        Also SGA was getting a 1.6 for multiple eps the first half. The long hiatus lost viewers, but since Season 4 is starting first on Sci-fi, more people will watch it there first. I really think this gives even more hope for SGA. Even it's low 1.2 still puts it in the top 5 for the network of not just this week but multiple weeks.
        sigpic

Comment

If there isnt a season 5 of SGA i think im gonna give up on the Sci-Fi channel all together! They've already cancelled SG1 & Battlestar Galactica and if they keep going at this rate there wont be any sci fi originals!

Comment

Originally posted by MartianManhunter View Post
            If there isnt a season 5 of SGA i think im gonna give up on the Sci-Fi channel all together! They've already cancelled SG1 & Battlestar Galactica and if they keep going at this rate there wont be any sci fi originals!
            It's why I want to see ECW fail, it doesn't belong on Sci-fi. ECW is now falling below what SGA averaged, gotta love it!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MartianManhunter View Post
              BSG was cancelled by the producers. IMO this works in Atlantis' favour.

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                Eureka 1.6
                Ghost Hunters 1.5
                ECW 1.3
                Destination Truth 1.1
                Atomic Twister 1.1
                Star Trek Enterprise 1.0
                Tornado 0.9
                Dinotopia part one 0.9
                Dinotopia part two 0.9
                Dinotopia part three 0.9

Source: Nielsen Galaxy Report, 7/16/07 -- 7/22/07

Remember, SGA averaged a 1.4 last season soooooooo.

Dr. Who and PKJ did not even make the top 10 once again, ECW falls once again below a 1.4!

Sorry to be blunt, I am just trying to keep everyone's hope up!

If you haven't yet, I think you should watch this video, particularly what PM says at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by gange57 View Post
                  If you haven't yet, I think you should watch this video, particularly what PM says at the end.
                  Episode 3.11 - 1.4
                  Episode 3.12 - 1.3
                  Epiosde 3.20 - 1.5

All these puts SGA in the top 3 of Sci-fi's top shows. Thanks for the video makes me support my theory.

Heck, even the 1.2's fall in the top 5. Remember, major box office competition (Friday nights) and long hiatus, overseas and different regions already aired the eps for the 2nd half.
                  sigpic

Comment

Odds are yes there will be a 5th season. While ratings are always a factor, networks generally don't make a lot of money on a show unless it's sold into syndication. The magic number for syndication is 100 episodes. For example, Enterprise wasn't cancelled after its 3rd season in order for it to finish a 100 episode run.

Comment

Episode 3.11 - 1.4
                      Episode 3.12 - 1.3
                      Epiosde 3.20 - 1.5

All these puts SGA in the top 3 of Sci-fi's top shows. Thanks for the video makes me support my theory.

Heck, even the 1.2's fall in the top 5. Remember, major box office competition (Friday nights) and long hiatus, overseas and different regions already aired the eps for the 2nd half.

I understand you want to "keep morale up." Optimism is nice. However, hand picking SGA's "better" numbers to prove your point isn't really helping, especially when they aren't providing a complete view of the situation. PM said that a season five renewal was dependent upon the ratings for the second half of season three, not just Eps. 3x11, 3x12, and 3x20. Of course, that is assuming that the ratings for those episodes are considered "good."

As was pointed out earlier; blaming movies, or any other form of competition, for declining ratings is just an excuse. Atlantis has always aired when the big box office movies were released and they're ratings were never this low. Competition always exist; whether it's Spiderman 3, the latest Harry Potter book release, or an episode of X-treme Quilting on Spike is besides the point. All that matter is how Atlantis performs against the competition. Maybe, JM's words will sway you.

Originally posted by Joseph Mallozzi
                      A lot of you have been asking about a possible fifth season pick-up and I can honestly say that, at present, I haven’t a clue how things will shake out. I am, of course, hopeful that Atlantis will go another season, but the sad reality is the show’s ratings are down. Yes, cable, the networks, and, according to a recent article at tvweek.com, the syndication market in general, have taken an across-the-board hit and our six month lay-off certainly didn’t help, nor, I’m sure, does the fact that our tech-savvy audience has online access to episodes well before they air on SciFi. Still, the bottom line remains the numbers are down and numbers are something broadcasters tend to look at when deciding whether a show will be coming back or not. We all feel very strongly about the quality of the episodes we’ve produced for Atlantis’s fourth season but, by the time they finally air, the show’s fate could already be sealed. Which is why the upcoming final three third season episodes are so important. I think it’s unrealistic to expect the show to pull in the numbers it used to, but on the other hand I strongly believe that an uptick in our ratings over these next three weeks could go a long way toward securing a rosy future for Stargate fans. Yes, petitions and letter-writing campaigns are terrific ways to express one’s passion for a series, but the best way to keep a show alive is by supporting it while it’s still on the air. So in the next three weeks - Tune in. Get your friends and family and casual acquaintances to tune in as well. In the end, it’ll be our fans who make the difference.

The fact that TPTB are candidly speaking about ratings should be a red flag for all fans. It's not good sign when TPTB are asking people to watch.

Comment

A big factor in the fall in ratings was the mid season break. It seems everyone accepts that.

MG has said it himself in his new Gateworld Interview. If you like a show, and you can go get it off you tube in minutes 4 months before it airs. And don't come up with the BS excuse "oh, but only the real hardcore fans do that" because no, it is not just them. Atlantis and SG-1 (as with most sci fi shows) are 'internet' shows if you catch my meaning, they have a very large online fan base. word gets around if the episodes have been up online for months. Apparently, the producers and sci fi tried to really crack down on it, getting episodes pulled etc... ,but without much luck. That's how important it was.

When s4 airs, the US will once again have the first run. And after all these little clips etc.. during different shows, it seems Sci Fi are actually trying to advertise for once (and they even started that more than two months before the season airs!) Plus there will only be a short break at xmas this year, so woohoo!
                        Last edited by SGFerrit; 07 August 2007, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
                          A big factor in the fall in ratings was the mid season break. It seems everyone accepts that.

MG has said it himself in his new Gateworld Interview. If you like a show, and you can go get it off you tube in minutes 4 months before it airs. And don't come up with the BS excuse "oh, but only the real hardcore fans do that" because no, it is not just them. Atlantis and SG-1 (as with most sci fi shows) are 'internet' shows if you catch my meaning, they have a very large online fan base. word gets around if the episodes have been up online for months. Apparently, the producers and sci fi tried to really crack down on it, getting episodes pulled etc... ,but without much luck. That's how important it was.

When s4 airs, the US will once again have the first run. And after all these little clips etc.. during different shows, it seems Sci Fi are actually trying to advertise for once (and they even started that more than two months before the season airs!) Plus there will only be a short break at xmas this year, so woohoo!
                          Very good point! Green all the way!

Anyway, that's why I see Season 4 coming in strong like a Category 5 hurricane. I think SGA will have similar ratings to what Eureka is getting now, which is between a 1.6 and 1.9. Oh wait, SGA did get that last season before the hiatus. Even the 1.2's and 1.3 it got were not too bad, when you look at the competition. ECW has been falling under a 1.4 for like 4 weeks now.

Just to do a rough calculation....

Season average before Hiatus - 1.6
                          Season average after Hiatus - 1.3

A .3 is about 400,000 to 500,000 viewers. Viewers lost because of long hiatus and alternate viewing methods.

Season finale 1.5

Got back most of those viewers.

Sci-fi will crunch the numbers. They will most likely wait to see how the first two eps do. If they are both over a 1.5, Joe M and company have a lot of work to do preparing for a 5th season.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gange57 View Post
                            I understand you want to "keep morale up." Optimism is nice. However, hand picking SGA's "better" numbers to prove your point isn't really helping, especially when they aren't providing a complete view of the situation. PM said that a season five renewal was dependent upon the ratings for the second half of season three, not just Eps. 3x11, 3x12, and 3x20. Of course, that is assuming that the ratings for those episodes are considered "good."

As was pointed out earlier; blaming movies, or any other form of competition, for declining ratings is just an excuse. Atlantis has always aired when the big box office movies were released and they're ratings were never this low. Competition always exist; whether it's Spiderman 3, the latest Harry Potter book release, or an episode of X-treme Quilting on Spike is besides the point. All that matter is how Atlantis performs against the competition. Maybe, JM's words will sway you.

The fact that TPTB are candidly speaking about ratings should be a red flag for all fans. It's not good sign when TPTB are asking people to watch.

Ok to point out that blog you posted. When was that said? After Sunday right? There was an uptick in the ratings, and in fact 2 million viewers tuned it for the finale, whether it was because of the SG-1 finale or not, you cannot use that as an excuse, kinda like how you said about the movie competition. I know that the show was at a 1.1 for Sunday, but the last 3 eps showed an uptick. Joe M even said it was a good sign and and pointed out the uptick. So, we have a good chance now.

3x17 Sunday 1.1
                            3x18 Submerssion 1.2
                            3x19 Vengence 1.2
                            3x20 First Strike 1.5

If thats not an uptick then I don't know what it.
                            Last edited by Briangate78; 07 August 2007, 02:43 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Very good point! Green all the way!

Anyway, that's why I see Season 4 coming in strong like a Category 5 hurricane. I think SGA will have similar ratings to what Eureka is getting now, which is between a 1.6 and 1.9. Oh wait, SGA did get that last season before the hiatus. Even the 1.2's and 1.3 it got were not too bad, when you look at the competition. ECW has been falling under a 1.4 for like 4 weeks now.

Just to do a rough calculation....

Season average before Hiatus - 1.6
                              Season average after Hiatus - 1.3

A .3 is about 400,000 to 500,000 viewers. Viewers lost because of long hiatus and alternate viewing methods.

Season finale 1.5

Got back most of those viewers.

Sci-fi will crunch the numbers. They will most likely wait to see how the first two eps do. If they are both over a 1.5, Joe M and company have a lot of work to do preparing for a 5th season.
                              Thanks for the green my friend

The producers of Jericho blamed the 3 month hiatus (only 1/2 that of Atlantis and SG-1) for the decline in their ratings, and I don't believe the show was even available on the net!

Comment

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
                                Thanks for the green my friend

The producers of Jericho blamed the 3 month hiatus (only 1/2 that of Atlantis and SG-1) for the decline in their ratings, and I don't believe the show was even available on the net!
                                No problem!

As per Gange, I know they are trying to provide the facts, and so am I. In the end Sci-fi will see the show still spikes to 2 million viewers, and the show carries decent enough ratings for a few months. They have to know that they screwed up because of the long hiatus. Ratings are down across the board for every show.

Take Eureka, it was getting over a 2.0 last year. It's premiere this year just missed the 2.0 mark, and now its averaging a 1.6!

Also someone said about Syndication. Sci-fi will make money on the reairs when there are enough eps to air. They own the airing rights to SGA and SG-1 still. So you would think they would want to get more eps to reair.

Also cost of production is half now. SG-1 is gone, and don't forget they don't spend a lot of money on advertisment for SGA.

All these factors we have to consider, in the end, it comes down to one thing...

$$$$
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X