Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I hate to admit it, since I like Carter better than Weir, but...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't feed the trolls.
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cautious Explorer View Post
      Wow. I totally missed the point of your post. I thought you were praising Carter by listing her accomplishments and stating she's the best at everything. Instead you were meaning what? I still don't get your point. Were you being sarcastic?

I'm not going to debate with you about what was said or done on SG-1. I haven't watched and I just don't care.

But you're list is just your opinion. You're not merely listing what Carter has or hasn't done. You're giving your opinion on how that makes her better in certain areas than other characters. That's always up for debate.
      If you read the opening post you would have understood my stance. I like Carter better than Weir, but I think that so far Carter has had poor chemistry/interaction with the cast. I think the problem is that she is more experienced than the major players on Atlantis.

Your posts don't hold any information whatsoever. I listed character statements. Unless you can present a single point... I'm done with this discussion.
      sigpic
      "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
      ~David Hewlett

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
        If your not familiar with my stance on Carter leading the Expedition... I like Carter better than Weir in general, but I was hoping for Carter to be recurring, and not a star of Atlantis.

I don't think there's any denying at this point that Weir has much better chemistry with the Atlantis cast than Carter does. "This Mortal Coil" really made that abundantly clear.
        Seconded. Totally seconded. But what do you want to see? The best thing that can happen, and that would be a far fetched resolution, would be to have Weir & co still alive, after miraculously surving the Asuran attack. It would be another plot hole, since there's no way they could survive there. But, oh well anyway, it's hard to come with something solid these days in Stargate.
        The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
          Seconded. Totally seconded. But what do you want to see? The best thing that can happen, and that would be a far fetched resolution, would be to have Weir & co still alive, after miraculously surving the Asuran attack. It would be another plot hole, since there's no way they could survive there. But, oh well anyway, it's hard to come with something solid these days in Stargate.
          Do you even know what a plot hole is?
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
            Maybe they're being so careful not to force Sam on the Weir fans that they haven't let Sam be Sam as much as many of us would like to see. I'm hoping to see more of the kind of things you say in future episodes. The Seer gave us some glimpses
            By design she was a little unsure of herself, a little insecure, etc. Amanda played her that way because she felt it was the right tone for her and the show. I think The Seer was her personal gauntlet and from that she recognized that her team was behind her and trusted her instincts and abilities.

So my gut instinct is that the Carter of the second half will be more secure in her abilities and a little more outspoken.

Also...I asked Joe Mallozzi about Carter confrontations...
            Spoiler:
            and he said there was an episode in the second half where she'd dress someone down. I'm personally hoping it's Shep. They've had such a nice rapport going that I think it would be fantastic to see them hit a wall of sorts.
            Now how well that's done and to what extent is anyone's guess.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

I honestly do not know how you all are comparing a character with 6 episodes on SGA with a character with 60+ episodes on the same show. Carter is new to the show and is just starting to assert herself in Atlantis.

Her role has also changed from SG-1. Carter is in command so of course the chemistry between her and Rodney is different. McKay can not go on and on about how Carter is a cute or dumb blonde when she is in command of the expedition. I don't doubt that the writers will take this low brow track at least once.

I don't know what you expect from Carter.

Comment

If you read the opening post you would have understood my stance. I like Carter better than Weir, but I think that so far Carter has had poor chemistry/interaction with the cast. I think the problem is that she is more experienced than the major players on Atlantis.

Your posts don't hold any information whatsoever. I listed character statements. Unless you can present a single point... I'm done with this discussion.
                Ah. Now I understand. You weren't being at all facetious in comparing Carter with Superman. You think she's overqualified for Atlantis. She's smarter than Rodney, a better soldier than Sheppard, just better all around than everyone else. Well no wonder Carter doesn't have chemistry with those losers. I guess she better go back to her perfect team in her perfect wolrd at the SGC. I know that would make me happy.

Comment

Would you prefer that the IOA bring in another lackey with no off world experience? That would allow McKay and Shepard to make more bad judgment calls with out any consequences. I think they made the right decision to bring in a character that has enough history and ability to take McKay and Shepard to task for making poor decisions.

I felt that that was a major flaw of Weir's character was that she would never 'dress down' any character. McKay and Shepard were untouchable. Its also allowed McKay to remain a very very static character.

Comment

Originally posted by Cautious Explorer View Post
                    Ah. Now I understand. You weren't being at all facetious in comparing Carter with Superman. You think she's overqualified for Atlantis. She's smarter than Rodney, a better soldier than Sheppard, just better all around than everyone else. Well no wonder Carter doesn't have chemistry with those losers. I guess she better go back to her perfect team in her perfect world at the SGC. I know that would make me happy.
                    First off Carter is not part of the team! She is the leader of the expedition and as the leader she should have minimal off world experience. I personally do not want to see Carter leading the team in Shep's place. The benefit of having Carter's experience is that she can force responsibility on Shep and McKay because she has more experience than both of them.

Carter is just a more experienced soldier than Shep and a better scientist than McKay. That to me makes a good leader. And Carter is not someone who flaunts her smarts like McKay which will IMO force McKay to mature as a character.

Comment

Actually, with the nanites in the DupliTeam's bodies, they could have survived and it wouldn't have been "miraculous."

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
                      O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

Originally posted by Phenix View Post
                        First off Carter is not part of the team! She is the leader of the expedition and as the leader she should have minimal off world experience. I personally do not want to see Carter leading the team in Shep's place. The benefit of having Carter's experience is that she can force responsibility on Shep and McKay because she has more experience than both of them.

Carter is just a more experienced soldier than Shep and a better scientist than McKay. That to me makes a good leader. And Carter is not someone who flaunts her smarts like McKay which will IMO force McKay to mature as a character.
                        No, no, no. I don't want to see Carter on Sheppard's team either! That's the last thing I want to see. In a perfect world she would turn around and go back to the SGC.

I really don't care to see Carter "force" responsbility on Sheppard or McKay. They've managed to keep Atlantis alive for years without any assistance from Carter. I think they understand responsibility quite well.

Comment

First of all
                          Spoiler:
                          Weir (in some form) will be back soon, it's been confirmed by tptb, Torri & Gateworld

Secondly, I wouldn't want RepliWeir anyway. It would just be weird, and a cop out. It would be like if the Moebius SG-1 supplanted the real ones. What I'd like is for Oberoth to have lied to Replica-Keller, and still have Weir alive, as a prisoner.

I just posted this in another thread, but I'll put an excerpt in here, I'd like Weir to return as the Leader of the base, but not as a star. I think it would be best if we got to see her around 12 eps. per season, in well thought out plots. I'd like Carter as recurring as well, working the science and the military aspects, in an advisory type role, rather than a delegating one. I honestly think that should be the only ones that are starring. The plot would move along a lot better without having to shoehorn in into episodes where they don't belong. If Carter made 6-8 appearances next year as the more dynamic character that she used to be, I'd be thrilled. And if Weir was in over 10 as the sympathetic leader with street smarts, I'd be thrilled.
                          sigpic
                          "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
                          ~David Hewlett

Comment

Best choice for you worst for me. That is so meh to me and Carter can run circles around weir and way mor qualified. Also Stargate has been rock solid this year.
                            Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                            "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                            Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Phenix View Post
                              Would you prefer that the IOA bring in another lackey with no off world experience? That would allow McKay and Shepard to make more bad judgment calls with out any consequences. I think they made the right decision to bring in a character that has enough history and ability to take McKay and Shepard to task for making poor decisions.

I felt that that was a major flaw of Weir's character was that she would never 'dress down' any character. McKay and Shepard were untouchable. Its also allowed McKay to remain a very very static character.
                              I agree with a lot of what you said, but... I'm going to bring up an old point that I made last year, and then drop it: say you're General O'Neill assigning Carter. He considers her to be the best Tau'ri scientist & a darn good field operative. Why would he assign Carter to a job that involves so much delegation? Wouldn't he see that her talents would be better utilized if she was leading a science team either doing R&D on Lantean or Asgard tech, or leading a field unit with similar goals? Delegation is a waste of her time.

Now we've really derailed of the subject.
                              sigpic
                              ~David Hewlett

Comment

I agree with a lot of what you said, but... I'm going to bring up an old point that I made last year, and then drop it: say you're General O'Neill assigning Carter. He considers her to be the best Tau'ri scientist & a darn good field operative. Why would he assign Carter to a job that involves so much delegation? Wouldn't he see that her talents would be better utilized if she was leading a science team either doing R&D on Lantean or Asgard tech, or leading a field unit with similar goals? Delegation is a waste of her time.

Now we've really derailed of the subject.
                                Yea but that is what happens when a conversation breaks out in a thread. The topic was pretty much another anti-Carter love fest in the beginning.

Personally I think they could have created a new military/science officer to take control of Atlantis but that would have been an even greater risk. Carter has an established history in SG canon and Amanda Tapping is a known commodity. So in a producer role I think they made a logical choice in selecting Carter to cross over into a leadership role.

IMO, Carter is or at least should be running an R&D operation in Atlantis. I have to hope that they have science teams ready to explore Atlantis even if the viewers don't get to watch the dirty work. Carter is placed in a great position to direct research in areas of most importance. I'd prefer her to have a more active role in the R&D aspect but I have faith in that the Tau'ri are capable or producing excellent science minds.

While I was writing that I thought about the field operative angle. I don't know when Carter joined the SGC but she has to be pushing 35 in the SG universe. SG1 really pushed the age limit with O'Neil and I have a sneaking suspicion that Carter just might appreciate a break from daily or weekly life and death situations.

Comment

Working...
                                X