Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I hate to admit it, since I like Carter better than Weir, but...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JSPuddlejumper View Post
    I love Amanda Tapping as an actresses and she is great on SG1.

BUT so far

For Atlantis, the actresses who plays Elizabether Weir is the best.

But keep in mind that Carter has been absent for most episodes, and is filming the Ark of Truth.

However, they should definitely bring back Weir for more episodes (season 5) and possibly bring her all the way back in a 2 hours season (possibly) series finale in season 5.
    You're not the first to offer this excuse, but I fail to understand how this is a compelling argument for why Carter is a good fit for Atlantis: "Oh, you'll like her when the actress finally has time to show up and play the role."

Well, maybe if AT finally has time to portray Carter on Atlantis, she'll also find the time to put a little spark into her portrayal. So far, she seems to be putting forth a minimal effort.

Comment

I have to admit the only reason I am watching the show now on a consistent basis is because of Carter. I watched SG-1 and sometimes (actually rarely) I would watch SGA after it. Something about the show didn't click for me. What I'm really looking for is some character development for Carter. A new environment, a new position. Right now it feels like wasted opportunities over and over (I do realized SG1 movies!). Good thing I'm actually interested in the rest of the show and their characters (thanks to Weir being gone), otherwise I would just watch something else.

Let's just hope 2nd half hold more of Carter. I do think she fits in with the cast, the problem is they haven't allowed many opportunities to do anything with that (and please let her do something science/tech-y for once, please?).

I found it interesting that in Teyla's dreams John spoke of Carter not liking her. Why no follow though with that? Also Teyla not telling anyone yet? Why not just have a scene of her telling Carter, she is the leader... right?

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
        people keep using this 'chemistry' word as if its the answer to everything. what is chemistry? is the ability to be able to write 'omg they are teh lurrrve' fics based off a few looks in an edited scene? is it how the actors themselves get along when cameras are not rolling? or is it a convenient excuse as to why one character is better than another, without any real objective thought behind it?
        Uh, no, chemistry is not love scenes (if that's what you're implying). Chemistry is when two characters (gender doesn't matter) basically hit it off. They work well together. It has nothing to do with who is perceived to be better, but how well they work off each other on screen.

Originally posted by elbo View Post
        Maby, you can see, but not me. There is NO chemistry between Weir and the rest of characters, unless the one you want to see. If you want it bad enough you can see the same chemistry between the team and a whale.
        I do see Weir meshing better with the team than Carter. First, three years of working with them. carter is still the new kid on the block, the fifth wheel, although the writers have tried to force the comraderie in some scenes, which to me, doesn't work, mostly because they expect viewers not to wonder... wait a second, she arrived on base last week and now this week they're all hanging around having a meal?

Hmm, I don't think ROdney had chemistry with the whale. A sort of affection, like toward a pet, but that's it

Originally posted by darkrose View Post
        It's frustrating to me because Sam's presence raises all kinds of questions: what's her relationship on the org chart to John? Why did the IOA decide that the expedition would now be under American military command, rather than civilian? Why did they give command to someone with no previous command experience, and no experience in the Pegasus Galaxy? There a lot of ways they could have answered any of these, but so far, they've just been ignoring the questions.
        because it's what the producers wanted to do. I don't know if we'll ever get answers on the show why they promoted carter to run Atlantis instead of someone with more experience. And yes, the writers are good at ignoring explaining stuff viewers may be wondering, but just figure, blow up some spaceships, and that will appease us all

Comment

I like Carter better than Wier.

I didn't think I would but I guess I grew tired of the "moral" approach to certain tasks.

I'm not saying that Carter is ruthless just more decisive when it counts and is not afraid to do things. And with all that moral juck that Daniel has been speaking for the past 10 years would have rubbed off on her so in conclusion has the best of both attributes. IMO

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
            Uh, no, chemistry is not love scenes (if that's what you're implying). Chemistry is when two characters (gender doesn't matter) basically hit it off. They work well together. It has nothing to do with who is perceived to be better, but how well they work off each other on screen.
            Exactly. Or that is how I see it as well.

And seeing as how I'm anti-ship on Stargate, that doesn't even factor into it.
            IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post

This is how I would define chemistry too. With this definition I would say that Carter has really good chemistry with Mckay (and a long history of it), and has very good chemistry with Sheppard at this point. I like what I see so far with Carter and Ronon, but there hasn't been much interaction, so it is difficult to tell. Carter and Teyla have rarely interacted, so I have no clue at this point about their chemistry. I do think that Sam has had great chemistry on SG-1 with numerous characters (including all the SG-1 team and then a number of recurring characters such as Janet, Jacob, and Martouf). I have every reason to believe that, as time develops and as we see more interaction with Carter/Ronon and Carter/Telya, there will be chemistry there as well -- not enough interaction between them to tell at this point. I do like Carter/Mckay, and Carter/Sheppard chemistry so far, and I do think that they work well together. I also think it will help now that Sam will be in 8/10 episodes in the second half of the season.

I'm actually looking forward to:

Spoiler:
              Carter and Zelenka (sp?) interaction in Quarantine!

Comment

Ripple, I deeply and sincerely want to thank you for noticing the great chemistry Tori has with the cast. The great chemisrty Weir has with the Atlantis team. seriously, thank you!

I really admire Amanda Tapping. She has helped define what Stargate is from the beginning. But I feel that she doesn't belong on Atlantis. She doesn't belong on the show as a main cast member. I could swallow the kind of cameo Admiral Janeway made in Star Trek: Nemesis but as the leader of Atlantis, I won't ever buy Carter on the show. Not when Torri Higginson has such a god-given natural chemistry that glows like the sun. I mean, watching Weir on screen is like drinking warm cocoa on a cold morning. But watching Amanda on screen is like having to deal with an elephant in the room. Like listening to someone scrape their fingernails down a chalk board. Amanda Tapping is not healthy for the show. Colonel Carter is not healthy for the show. Weir is the only one who belongs as the leader of Atlantis.
                Last edited by markaudette; 08 December 2007, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by darkrose View Post
                  I hated that, because from a purely practical standpoint, it made absolutely no sense: the current military commander and chief scientist are captured, so we'll send the new base commander, the military XO, and the unofficial science second-in-command off on the rescue mission. Huh?

It's frustrating to me because Sam's presence raises all kinds of questions: what's her relationship on the org chart to John? Why did the IOA decide that the expedition would now be under American military command, rather than civilian? Why did they give command to someone with no previous command experience, and no experience in the Pegasus Galaxy? There a lot of ways they could have answered any of these, but so far, they've just been ignoring the questions.
                  she was sg1's commander in s8. she was also 2nd in command for the 7 previous seasons. she had command experience.

sally
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lord batchi ball View Post
                    I like Carter better than Wier.

I didn't think I would but I guess I grew tired of the "moral" approach to certain tasks.

I'm not saying that Carter is ruthless just more decisive when it counts and is not afraid to do things. And with all that moral juck that Daniel has been speaking for the past 10 years would have rubbed off on her so in conclusion has the best of both attributes. IMO
                    !?!?!You grew tired of the "moral" approach?!?!! What's that supposed to mean? Maybe I'm misinterpreting it, but seriously, the alarm bells ringing like crazy right now... One of the things I love most about SGA is the moral issues it brings up with the situations, such as Micheal (ethics of changing a Wraith into a human) or more recently, what Sheppard did at the end of Miller's Crossing

Spoiler:
                    when he fed the person who'd kidnapped Rodney and Jeannie to the wraith.

To me, Elizabeth made the show more interesting when we saw her grappling with those issues.

And FYI, Weir is perfectly decisive when it counts.

Spoiler:
                    She did authorize the supposed torture of Kavanaugh when they thought he was a Goauld, didn't she?

Personally I think that bringing Carter in was a mistake - because she's doing even LESS than Weir did. Actually, I suppose I shouldn't complain - the lack of her in all the S4 episodes is the only reason I've been able to stomach them in the first place.

And I'm not even a hard-core Elizabeth fan; I just recently really started to miss her after the first few episodes of S4. Talk about not appreciating what you have until it's lost...

I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it.

My young son asked me what happens after we die. I told him we get buried under a bunch of dirt and worms eat our bodies. I guess I should have told him the truth - that most of us go to Hell and burn eternally - but I didn't want to upset him.

-Jack Handy

Comment

Originally posted by markaudette View Post
                      I won't ever buy Carter on the show. Not when Torri Higginson has such a god-given natural chemistry that glows like the sun. I mean, watching Weir on screen is like drinking warm cocoa on a cold morning. But watching Amanda on screen is like having to deal with an elephant in the room. Like listening to someone scrape their fingernails down a chalk board. Amanda Tapping is not healthy for the show. Colonel Carter is not healthy for the show. Weir is the only one who belongs as the leader of Atlantis.
                      Well I wouldn't go that far. Torri was great, but Weir was poorly written in S3, even Torri noticed it. Weir's moral code became wildly erratic.

The problem with Carter is that she's too good at everything. Rodney concedes that Carter's the better scientist (though he's smarter). And she is John's military superior. While being a man, he's stronger, I'm not so sure he could even take her in a fight. She's even arguably had more off world experience than Ronon. I don't think tptb are sure how to use her.
                      sigpic
                      "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
                      ~David Hewlett

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
                        The problem with Carter is that she's too good at everything. Rodney concedes that Carter's the better scientist (though he's smarter). And she is John's military superior. While being a man, he's stronger, I'm not so sure he could even take her in a fight. She's even arguably had more off world experience than Ronon. I don't think tptb are sure how to use her.
                        That's not a problem. That's exactly how it works. The one with the most experience and knowledge is the one that stays back and calls the shots.
                        || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by alyssa View Post
                          We all know your ship preferences, and the fact that you hate Weir, so your opinion isn't really unexpected, is it?
                          As opposed to yours...which is a complete surprise to all.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by markaudette View Post
                            Not when Torri Higginson has such a god-given natural chemistry that glows like the sun. I mean, watching Weir on screen is like drinking warm cocoa on a cold morning.
                            I wish I could think of a way to say what I want to say about this that wouldn't get me banned.

I've seen a lot of people talking about TH's "chemistry" the last 2 days but I just don't see it. I don't even see "decent." All I've ever seen is a drama queen.
                            || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                              she was sg1's commander in s8. she was also 2nd in command for the 7 previous seasons. she had command experience.

sally
                              Plus she was briefly in charge of the R&D department at Area 51 until she was pulled back into SG-1 to deal with the new threat.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by Shan Bruce Lee View Post
                                I wish I could think of a way to say what I want to say about this that wouldn't get me banned.

I've seen a lot of people talking about TH's "chemistry" the last 2 days but I just don't see it. I don't even see "decent." All I've ever seen is a drama queen.
                                Chemistry either is or it isn't...but the perception of that chemistry that someone swears exists isn't universal. I know there are characters and pairings that I thought had chemistry out the ears that others felt was non-existent and vice versa.

As for Carter's chemistry...let's see. She's interacted with Shep, Mer, Keller and Woolsey...and had a brief run in with Ronon. So far, with what little I've seen her there, I think she's developing a fantastic chemistry with all of the above. I'd like to see more of her and Ronon and I'd love for an actual moment with her and Teyla. And I really, really want to see her interact with Czech-ilicious Radek and Lorne too.

Comment

Working...
                                X