Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I hate to admit it, since I like Carter better than Weir, but...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oldman44 View Post
    The big problem is that Carter has been missing too many times to get the character to gel properly with the other characters. She will only be missing from two episodes in the 2nd half of the season. That may help to improve things.
    You're kidding, right?

Joe and Torri had immediate chemistry. Joe and David had immediate chemistry. But with Amanda, we're supposed to wait another ten episodes, even though she's known them and been around them for at least three years?

That's ridiculous. The Carter character doesn't gel with the others, IMO. It's as simple as that. There are too many military/scientific characters already. They didn't need one who can double as both.

I just hope that TPTB will see that a lot of the people who are angry here aren't specifically Weir fans. They're people who have the brains to see what's right in front of them, and that's the fact that Weir had better chemistry with the rest of the characters than Carter ever will.

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
      I don't think it's Anti-Sam...most people here said they like Sam, just more on SG-1. For me, I love Sam and Amanda Tapping, personally, but I also love Weir. And for me, the core of Atlantis is about Atlantis--protecting the city, saving it from Wraith and Replicators, etc. Yes, they explored, but not like SG-1 did. So Weir's role was different for me than a Hammond or Landry character. She was like the center of that city, and seeing someone else come in, even a character I like as much as I like Sam, felt strange. And tonight's episode shows why it worked with Weir at the helm, just like every SG-1 rerun reminds me of how much Sam's role has changed from one show to the next.

I'm not sure if I like it. I know AT can do a great job, but they haven't given her much to work with, yet. The most excited I've been about Sam was seeing her in Reunion wielding the P-90 in the hunt for Ronan. I thought she was going to get to do more of that.

But I do miss Weir, too, and well, if I enjoy the drama or humor of SGA as much as the techno-battles, that's just me. I do see it there--its a great show, and all sci-fi FX all the time has never interested me. Characters interest me, and SGA has a ton of really great, multilayered ones.
      Wow, I think you just summed up my thoughts perfectly. As much as I loved Carter in SG-1 (hell, she was my favorite character after Jack) she hasn't really done anything Carter-ish lately. Unfortunately we've only seen her in about six episodes so far, most of them with her making very small appearances so I can definitely understand what people mean when they say that Weir left a big gap, and so far Carter hasn't been able to fill it. We've barely seen Carter do anything so far this season so hopefully we'll see much more of her in the second half. Since she'll be in 8 of the 10 episodes I think her chemistry with the team will improve especially from the spoilers I've been reading for certain episodes.

As for Weir, I have to agree that she really does have great chemistry with the team, and TMC definitely showed how much I missed her, even though she really only interacted with Shep most of the time. I was never strictly a Weir fan, and honestly didn't care that much when Carter was coming over, but this episode really made me realize how much of an impact Weir has made the expedition.
      Folding@Home|Babylon 5 Canon Guide

Delenn: This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw,...or be destroyed.
      Earth Captain: Negative. We have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship.
      Delenn: Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.
      --Babylon 5 - "Severed Dreams"

Comment

Originally posted by alyssa View Post
        You're kidding, right?

Joe and Torri had immediate chemistry. Joe and David had immediate chemistry. But with Amanda, we're supposed to wait another ten episodes, even though she's known them and been around them for at least three years?

That's ridiculous. The Carter character doesn't gel with the others, IMO. It's as simple as that. There are too many military/scientific characters already. They didn't need one who can double as both.

I just hope that TPTB will see that a lot of the people who are angry here aren't specifically Weir fans. They're people who have the brains to see what's right in front of them, and that's the fact that Weir had better chemistry with the rest of the characters than Carter ever will.
        You're kidding, right?

You realise you are comparing two different things. You compare the beginning of a show, where the main characters are slowly developed, with Amanda's appearance in the middle of the show after her whole SG1 history. Two distinct things with no connection whatsoever. On top of that, TPTB made a huge mistake. They killed a MAJOR character and have no idea how to blend SAM in. If you really want to make a fair comparison and talk about chemistry, elaborate on Sheppard and Larin vs. Daniel and Vala. Two identical situations with two different outcomes. Daniel and Vala had more chemistry than Sheppard and Larin will have in 5 episodes.

Comment

Carter has only been in six episodes, two of which she wasn't leader of Atlantis yet. We are going to see more Carter in the second half (eight episodes) and she should be more a part of the action. Also, there should be more McKay/Carter interaction in the second half. AT and DH have great chemistry together but TPTB have been very cautious about using this in the first half, and understandably so.

AT was filming the SG-1 movies and that affected her scheduling, but I think we will see more integration of Carter in the second half. Also, for me it is realistic that Carter wouldn't quite fit into Atlantis at this point. Why should she? She's there in a leader position, away from people she knows well. She shouldn't fit in quite yet. She's out of her element, but I think she will start to get more comfortable as time goes on.

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc View Post
            AT was filming the SG-1 movies and that affected her scheduling, but I think we will see more integration of Carter in the second half. Also, for me it is realistic that Carter wouldn't quite fit into Atlantis at this point. Why should she? She's there in a leader position, away from people she knows well. She shouldn't fit in quite yet. She's out of her element, but I think she will start to get more comfortable as time goes on.
            ....uhmm...why not kill Weir when Carter is available? Like this she takes her role full time and TPTB don't have any excuses for failing to integrate her. SGA has jumped the shark!

Comment

Carter is great on SG1, but on SGA she just stands around and looks lost. She is even saying the exact phrases Weir used to use. Its like TPTB traded a brunette for a blonde.

I don't like her on SGA, but I'm sure I'll love her in the SG1 movies coming out in 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by joebags View Post
                Carter is great on SG1, but on SGA she just stands around and looks lost. She is even saying the exact phrases Weir used to use. Its like TPTB traded a brunette for a blonde.

I don't like her on SGA, but I'm sure I'll love her in the SG1 movies coming out in 2008.
                ...an actress is as good as her script or her capability to act. Tapping is not like Keller and she can act. Thus, the script buries her .

Comment

Originally posted by joebags View Post

I know I'll love her in the SG-1 movies too! But I also like her on SGA so far, and I'm looking forward to a more active role for her in the second half. I also really liked Carter in Reunion at the end when she went off world on the rescue mission and in Seer when she had to make some tough military decisions.

Needless to say, I also really liked Weir. I wanted to see Carter and Weir interact (liked them in New Order), but we didn't get to see that. I think they are two strong women, and I think TPTB often do not allow two female characters to interaction much (unlike Sam and Janet in SG-1). Weir and Teyla were finally getting to have somewhat of an interesting relationship and then of course that is dropped. Now, we still haven't seen much of Carter with Teyla.
                  Last edited by chocdoc; 08 December 2007, 06:30 AM.

Comment

I like Carter much more than Weir. Having said that, SGA SORELY misses Weir, and if TPTB cared about what the fans think they would try to get TH signed up for season 5. Since season 5 starts filming in February- this seems highly unlikely. Also, I don't think any pro-Weir posts automatically equal anti-Carter. I don't see how killing off Weir makes the show better- in my view it makes the show much, much worse. I'm not sure if I'll even bother watching SGA anymore. As I reflect on the ratings (or lack thereof), I don't think I'm the only one who feels this way.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay View Post
                      In Atlantis S4, we've not had Carter...we've had a cardboard cut-out that looks like Amanda Tapping cos TPTB brought her over with no plan as to what to actually do with her, and have givn AT woefully little to work with.
                      I'm bummed to agree with this statement. While Carter was my favorite character on SG1, I think what we're watching here on SGA is a poor copy. I wonder if TPTB didn't want to have Carter overwhelm the show, so they went too far in the opposite direction. Carter has hardly any scenes and rarely interacts with the team. She's added little to nothing to this season so far, IMO. It's frustrating.

I don't see the point of bringing over Carter and making all this hubbub when Carter ended up doing the exact same things that Weir does, if not less.

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay View Post
                        In Atlantis S4, we've not had Carter...we've had a cardboard cut-out that looks like Amanda Tapping cos TPTB brought her over with no plan as to what to actually do with her, and have givn AT woefully little to work with.

Truth hurts...AUCH!

*green for that *

Comment

Originally posted by BerrySciFi View Post
                          I like Carter much more than Weir. Having said that, SGA SORELY misses Weir, and if TPTB cared about what the fans think they would try to get TH signed up for season 5. Since season 5 starts filming in February- this seems highly unlikely. Also, I don't think any pro-Weir posts automatically equal anti-Carter. I don't see how killing off Weir makes the show better- in my view it makes the show much, much worse. I'm not sure if I'll even bother watching SGA anymore. As I reflect on the ratings (or lack thereof), I don't think I'm the only one who feels this way.

If TPTB cared about what the fans think? There are many different fan opinions out there. There are many fans who want Carter there, many who want Weir, many who wouldn't mind both there, etc. It is impossible to do what the "fans" want because there are so many diverse opinions.

I personally would have liked both Weir and Carter on the show, but I'm someone who is watching SGA because of Carter.

As far as ratings, take this to the ratings thread. Much debate about season 4 ratings, the total figures, and DVR influence when comparing seasons 3 and 4. Your view is that SGA has lost viewers -- the other view is that it has stayed pretty even thus far.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
                            I'm bummed to agree with this statement. While Carter was my favorite character on SG1, I think what we're watching here on SGA is a poor copy. I wonder if TPTB didn't want to have Carter overwhelm the show, so they went too far in the opposite direction. Carter has hardly any scenes and rarely interacts with the team. She's added little to nothing to this season so far, IMO. It's frustrating.

I don't see the point of bringing over Carter and making all this hubbub when Carter ended up doing the exact same things that Weir does, if not less.
                            I agree with everything you said and other posters along the same line.

Also I can see how some posters are saying,

**In a south californian accent**

"Uhh... you gotta give Carter a chance, she's.. umm... Colonel Carter! The one from 1x01 "Children of the Gods", when she was still a Major, give her a chance! Ack guys! She's gonna bring in soooooooooo much ratings, cos she's a veteran of the Stargate franchise! Plus she's a blonde"

Hello!!!! If I wanted a toy with my McDonald's meal, I would have ordered a "Happy Meal". What I mean is, if I wanted Carter, I would watched Stargate SG-1 and not Atlantis.

On SG-1, she and Jack are the perfect couple, but on Stargate Atlantis, she doesn't have that zone of comfort. We all love Carter cos of her Carter-ism (strong, brilliant, intelligent woman on the go!), but she doesn't do that on Atlantis as correctly mentioned. In 6 episodes she has appeared in, all she does is act like Weir. She may dress like Carter, look like Carter and even talk like Carter but she doesn't act like her and she doesn't even think like the Carter we know.

Where is the outrageous plan to save the day that is mysterously cooped up out of her head that an average Joe wouldn't have though off!? Where is the techno-babble?

I prefer the SG-1 Carter tbh, this Atlantis Carter is such a disappointment.

Comment

I guess I have a different view to most of those who've posted so far.

Let me get my preferences out of the way first: I love Sam and Weir as characters. My preference would be to have both on Atlantis in some way.

I've watched SGA from the beginning and IMO, S1 chemistry between the cast was good but not as good as SG1's S1 chemistry which just flowed beautifully. Certainly, for me it took until The Storm/The Eye for SGA's cast chemistry to click fully into place.

SGA S2 for me the cast struggled to find a rhythm - partly due to the change with Ford/Ronon, partly due to the stories and it was evident with the retrovirus arc that they were struggling to write Weir's character effectively or truthfully within the arc.

In S3 I thought the chemistry had actually just snapped into place even though it was still evident that the original premise for Weir being Atlantis leader was holding by a very thin thread given the threats they were facing.

With S4, with all the changes I agree the chemistry isn't quite there yet when they are an ensemble, but I do see chemistry between Sam and the individual characters and I am enjoying the role Sam is now playing. I just think its a different set-up to Weir.

Weir was introduced as being one of the central characters in the same way that Jack was central when he led the SGC in S8. With Sam its clear that TPTB have reverted to a more Hammond model, actually probably falling more into Landry land where Sam gets some meatiness occasionally (as in The Seer) but isn't the focus 9 out of 10 times. So I personally think the dynamic between Sam and the team is being written and played very differently to how Weir and the team dynamic was written in S1-S3. Weir while being the leader was clearly a part of the team family - Sam is not; she's slightly on the outside looking in, an aunt instead of being part of the main family nucleus.

The dynamics between her and the others are being written and played very differently as a result. Sam/Shep has less 'sparkage' but I think that's a good thing because what I'm seeing is a professional working camaraderie without overtones which has plenty chemistry just not chemistry. Her scenes with Rodney have been great and I actually liked how they worked together in Tabula Rasa. I liked the Sam/Ronon scenes in Reunion. The only one I think they haven't explored really yet which I would have liked to see is really Sam/Teyla.

Like Jack once you move a character into command you can't show them doing what you previously had them doing very often - Sam can't be the one in the lab resolving the problem and shouldn't be the one in the field rescuing Shep's cute butt as great as the scenes of her doing that in Reunion were. There is a difference and for me having seen Sam for years in the field, it's a change having to adjust to view her as the 'Hammond/Landry' character. I can appreciate why some fans of the character may not like it at all.

However, given the parameters for Sam's new role within a team structure, and the Hammond/Landry nature of what she's been given then I personally rate Sam (and AT's performance), have enjoyed what I've seen and what I've seen has included chemistry even if it isn't clicking completely yet - but then for me it didn't click completely from day one with the original SGA cast nor the reformation on S2 so I don't mind so much especially as its clear the stories are more character driven now so its likely it will happen.

Still, everyone has their own preferences and chemistry is in the eye of the beholder - and the above is just MO.
                              sigpic
                              Women of the Gate LJ Community.
                              My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

I have to agree with the original poster. Even though I wasn't really a fan of either Carter or Weir, the show feels like it's missing something, imo. And even though I'm not a big fan of Carter, I still liked her at times on SG-1 and will look forward to the movies. But, on Atlantis, she doesn't seem to be the same character, and it seems at times that she's included in a scene just to state the obvious (in a similar way that Weir was). I'm not seeing an improvement from one actress to the other, so I'm beginning to think they should have just left things alone.

Who knows, maybe Carter will get more chemistry with the cast as time goes on, but right now I'm not feeling it. The only thing I liked with Carter was the conflict with Ronon. I wish we got more insight into her (shakey)transition to Atlantis besides a token episode. This is her first big command after all. It should be somewhat a focus.

The lack of chemistry in the cast is just another thing leading to my growing indifference about the show. By season 4, a show shouldn't be facing these problems. This is season 1 drama.

Comment

Working...
                                X