Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I hate to admit it, since I like Carter better than Weir, but...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
    If your not familiar with my stance on Carter leading the Expedition... I like Carter better than Weir in general, but I was hoping for Carter to be recurring, and not a star of Atlantis.

I don't think there's any denying at this point that Weir has much better chemistry with the Atlantis cast than Carter does. "This Mortal Coil" really made that abundantly clear.
    I agree. And it has everything to do with the personalities of the SGA characters as opposed to SG1. Also, not to be too generic, but the relationship among the SGA team is much more family-like, in contrast with the close comrade-like relationship present in SG1. That's why carter doesn't have that same type of chemistry. Hers is more of a close camaraderie. Weir's is more of the close family relationship.

Also, here is my breakdown of how Carter and Weir could work in the same environment:

Carter- military commander and science overseer(overseer of non-exploratory operations)
    Weir- diplomatic overseer ( over off-world exploration and interplanetary relations)
    Sheppard- directly under Carter, strictly military command (since he will be focused on going offworld, and Carter goes back and forth between Atlantis and Earth, they could both be co-commanders)
    Mckay- he and Carter head the science department equally.
    Zelenka- directly under Mckay in an assisting position
    Beckett (if he ever returns) CMO
    Keller- (serving in the same type of role as Zelenka, under Beckett)
    Last edited by Ltcolshepjumper; 11 December 2007, 01:00 PM.
    Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
    encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
    3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
    4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
    5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
      Do the writers know this? Yes

Does saying that you haven't seen a lot of evidence imply that you have seen some evidence? Just curious about the phrasing.

You claim that Carter can't be the scientist because that's Rodney's job and yet we have on many occasions seen lots of scientists other than Rodney.

You claim that Carter can't be out leading missions because that's Shep's job and yet we have seen others out leading missions.

Well apart from the fact that Carter isn't there to do either of those jobs, it would seem that the writers do in fact know that more than one character can do a job... but some fans don't
      I'm not sure what you don't understand about my phrasing. How many ways are there to interpret "not a lot"?

I think Stargate tends to create characters to fulfill a specific role: scientist, soldier, leader, physician, etc. There isn't much overlap, except for the occasional assistance of semi-regular or supporting characters.

Ford served as military backup on Sheppard's team and was replaced by Ronon, the alien warrior. Keller wasn't added to be a colleague of Beckett's. She was brought in to replace him. Weir is gone. Carter is here to fill the leader role -- not additional scientist and not additonal soldier.

Comment

Originally posted by Cautious Explorer View Post
        That's the problem. They're afraid of risk. That's why they're recycling Carter into a role that doesn't fit her very well. Have to keep the tried and true no matter how awkward the fit.
        I think you are taking for granted the real risk of cancellation. SGA was not guaranteed an additional season which is a serious flaw in SciFi's operating procedures. If a show has a 2 or 3 year window then the writers have the ability to create fuller story arc. They can also develop a new character.

Carter is an established character that could generate some cross over fans. She was also replacing a character that was well replaceable. I never felt that Weir was a fan favorite. I know she was not one of my favorites. The series was also getting stale. Many of us were complaining about the McKay Sheppard Hour so it does make sense to bring in an established character from SG-1. At least it makes sense to bring in a character that commands both military and scientific respect. Carter fills that role and you do not need to delve into a back story to make people understand why the crew of Atlantis respects and accepts Carter.

Comment

Originally posted by Phenix View Post
          I think you are taking for granted the real risk of cancellation. SGA was not guaranteed an additional season which is a serious flaw in SciFi's operating procedures. If a show has a 2 or 3 year window then the writers have the ability to create fuller story arc. They can also develop a new character.

Carter is an established character that could generate some cross over fans. She was also replacing a character that was well replaceable. I never felt that Weir was a fan favorite. I know she was not one of my favorites. The series was also getting stale. Many of us were complaining about the McKay Sheppard Hour so it does make sense to bring in an established character from SG-1. At least it makes sense to bring in a character that commands both military and scientific respect. Carter fills that role and you do not need to delve into a back story to make people understand why the crew of Atlantis respects and accepts Carter.
          You're assuming that creativity and risk taking wouldn't generate ratings. Maybe that's part of the problem.

You stated that you thought the series was getting stale. The solution is to bring in a character that was created 10 years ago? Isn't there a risk that she is stale too?

The only solution to the "McKay/Sheppard Hour" is to bring in an established character from SG-1? How about simply focusing on the character that are already part of SGA?

Does Carter have enough fans on her own to generate a rise in ratings? What if her popularity doesn't translate beyond her association with the rest of the SG-1 team? What if the Weir fans lost are roughly equal to the Carter fans gained?

I don't need backstory on Carter to tell me she's a respected soldier and scientist. What I do need is something on screen to show me she has what it takes to be an effective leader. For me, there's just nothing that tells me this is the person who should be in charge. She's just there. Nothing interesting. I would much prefer they'd taken a gamble on someone new.

Comment

By your own definition then, bringing Carter over was a risk, yes? Looks like they are taking risks after all.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
              By your own definition then, bringing Carter over was a risk, yes? Looks like they are taking risks after all.
              Ouch! No Fair using logic!
              -

Comment

No, not really. I don't think she's going to factor into the ratings much one way or the other.

Or are you referring to the risk they take in losing viewers when they forego creativity and fall back on the same thing over and over again?

Comment

I was refering to the risk they've taken by bringing over Sam and shaking up the show's core cast. Instead of using the same cast and writing themselves into a rut, they decided to do otherwise.

Comment

I was refering to the risk they've taken by bringing over Sam and shaking up the show's core cast. Instead of using the same cast and writing themselves into a rut, they decided to do otherwise.
                    How is adding a character they've been writing for 10 years not continuing on in the same old rut?

Comment

How is adding a character they've been writing for 10 years not continuing on in the same old rut?
                      It's a different rut?

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
                      O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

Yeah, pretty much. Heh.

It's not just writing Sam again, it's writing all the other characters' reactions and how they deal with this event.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill_Ion View Post
                          It's a different rut?
                          True, very true.

Comment

Does Carter have enough fans on her own to generate a rise in ratings? What if her popularity doesn't translate beyond her association with the rest of the SG-1 team? What if the Weir fans lost are roughly equal to the Carter fans gained?
                            I still don't know why they didn't just keep both characters, maybe split their time somehow, and thus keep all the fans of each. Maybe they underestimated the Weir fanbase and I'm not just talking about those of us actively campaigning for her return.

There's no way to know if either of these characters have had an impact on the ratings, but I would think you would want to keep as many viewers as you can.
                            sigpic
                            sig by SueKay

My Team:

Comment

Originally posted by Irish Eyes View Post
                              I still don't know why they didn't just keep both characters, maybe split their time somehow, and thus keep all the fans of each. Maybe they underestimated the Weir fanbase and I'm not just talking about those of us actively campaigning for her return.

There's no way to know if either of these characters have had an impact on the ratings, but I would think you would want to keep as many viewers as you can.
                              ratings for season 4 are pretty much the same as backhalf of season3. so people didn't stop watching because weir is gone.

Comment

http://snipurl.com/1v5g7

Sci Fi saga. The concluding two parts of Sci Fi Channel's Tin Man (4.4 million and 5.1 million Monday and Tuesday) made the miniseries the channel's most-watched yet, with a combined average of 5.3 million. Friday's season finale of Stargate Atlantis claimed 1.6 million.
                                sig made by me

Comment

Working...
                                X