They forgot about Jonas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
    He was written out after only two episodes. I doubt they went "Let's keep both characters on the show" and then, after two episodes had been shot, decided to rewrite every single script after that to write Jonas out of them especially since they'd probably even started shooting a lot of those then. If this were the case, season 6 might've been delayed slightly because reshoots and rewrites.
    Again wrong. When the contracts were being signed it was decided that it was very awkward for the two of them so no need for them to rewrite season 7.

I read that it was in his contract.

Well known fact.
    Source?

Yes it was. Jonas was a main character for over a year (he appeared in three seasons). Not tertiary, not secondary but a main character. Corin Nemec had a starring role. I'm too lazy to check, but did he maybe even get the coveted "Corin Nemec as Jonas Quinn"-bit? The PTB love to reference past episodes and characters. As soon as the opportunity arises, they jump at it.
    Sorry I disagree.

Not a single time has Jonas been mentioned of referenced in the 4 years since he was last seen on the show, despite at least two glaring opportunities to do so.
    There was no need to.

They referenced "The Tao", which really was less relevant than "Prophecy". In fact, it's almost irrelevant.
    Sorry it was. In Tao we saw just what the brain goes through at an advanced stage his brain looked the same so not irrelevent.

Much more relevant references are:
    * People on the path to Ascension. Who knows, maybe he's the missing link, but Keller just naturally assumes he's a "genetic lotto win".
    * The Ancients themselves (on the path to Ascension).
    * And finally, "Prophecy", the one where a member of SG-1 became precogniscent through genetic manipulation of his DNA structure.
    Sorry those are irrelevent.
    Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
    "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
    Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

FallenAngel: You've been putting forward an argument, but thus far it's been pure speculation. I know you'd be hard pressed to find a quote from TPTB comprehensively explaining negative intentions towards JQ, but don't use terms like "Well known fact" to back up your arguments when it's clearly not well known.

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
      Sorry it was. In Tao we saw just what the brain goes through at an advanced stage his brain looked the same so not irrelevent.

Sorry those are irrelevent.
      I don't know how you can say that Tao is relevant yet Prophecy isn't. Both episodes have a similar premise involving one of our regulars developing advanced mental abilities, the main difference being that in Prophecy, the mental abilities are precognitive, and as far as I remember, none of McKay's abilities were. So based on that, when the other characters were doubting The Seer's abilities, it would have made sense for Carter to speak up and say "I've seen these abilities before", but she didn't. Why? I don't know. If it is due to some TPTB conspiracy to forget Jonas, well I'm not entirely convinced of that. Of course, if someone were to display conclusive evidence, then I'm happy to admit that I'm wrong.

Btw, JQ was only a "regular" character for season 6. He was a guest star in S5's Meridian, and a recurring/guest character in his S7 appearances.
      O'NEILL: For all we know, Daniel could came walking in that door right now.
      [Cut to shot of the door]
      [Cut back to O'Neill]
      O'NEILL: Any time now.
      [Cut back to door]

Comment

I dunno, I'd get annoyed if Sam kept talking about any little thing from SG1 that is somewhat elated to what they're doing. I want Atlantis to be less reliant on SG1. Honestly, I don't think bringing Sam over was a good idea. Although I love her, she's just not right... Sam doesn't do her thing any more. She asked Rodney if he could do something (I can't remember what), while she should've known full well whether he could do it or not. She probably could've done it herself! She as, if not more, smart that McKay! I miss her doing the technical stuff and trying to explain it to other people... I miss Weir, and on a somewhat related topic, I miss Carson!

Comment

Originally posted by Bellageth View Post
          I dunno, I'd get annoyed if Sam kept talking about any little thing from SG1 that is somewhat elated to what they're doing. I want Atlantis to be less reliant on SG1. Honestly, I don't think bringing Sam over was a good idea. Although I love her, she's just not right... Sam doesn't do her thing any more. She asked Rodney if he could do something (I can't remember what), while she should've known full well whether he could do it or not. She probably could've done it herself! She as, if not more, smart that McKay! I miss her doing the technical stuff and trying to explain it to other people... I miss Weir, and on a somewhat related topic, I miss Carson!
          That's a good point. She's gone from being the scientist character to being the General Hammond character.

It is an interesting dynamic, though, considering she's been doing the SG thing for a lot longer than either McKay or Sheppard, and now she has to sit at the sidelines watching them go out into the field like she used to.
          [Cut back to O'Neill]
          [Cut back to door]

Comment

Ok heres the reason

This is Stargate Atlantis. If they were to reference Jonas they would need to have a big reference as to who Jonas was due to them being different shows with different audiences and so forth and that would waste time that could be better spent

So they referenced a Season 3 Atlantis ep. That is logical as its expected that the audience has seen that episode

If it was an SG1 episode that had a Seer in, then yes...there probably should have been a reference. Atlantis, no...it would be far too convuluted.

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Griff View Post
              Yeah it was odd with all the SG-1 referencing being done by Carter in Doppleganger that she didn't say something here. But its not like I didn't expect this. In that scene when they were talking about it in the begining, There was one moment where I knew if she was gonna say something it would have been then, it didn't come and I was not shocked at all. They didn't even reference him when we found out his planet was taken over by the Ori, so I excprected this to happen.
              Maybe they thought it a good idea not to revelate in the past too much.

Comment

I was gonna come on and talk about how they'd practically quoted Prophecy, but Chobit did that already...
                "Quantum physics/mechanics blows that out of the water" was the phrase, though, just in case people don't want to read back.

I agree that it would be awkward for Sam to mention Jonas: "This guy who was once my teammate, but not for a terribly long time, he had this tumor..." It would be very confusing, I think. And to SOMEBODY'S credit, in that scene where McKay is arguing that it's impossible to tell the future... Carter keeps looking like she's going to say something, and then people interrupt her. I know when I saw her doing that, I was like, "She's going to talk about Prophecy now! I just know it!" But McKay wouldn't LET her! So that's why Jonas isn't mentioned, in my opinion. Blame McKay.

Comment

Originally posted by Serebii View Post
                  Ok heres the reason

This is Stargate Atlantis. If they were to reference Jonas they would need to have a big reference as to who Jonas was due to them being different shows with different audiences and so forth and that would waste time that could be better spent

So they referenced a Season 3 Atlantis ep. That is logical as its expected that the audience has seen that episode

If it was an SG1 episode that had a Seer in, then yes...there probably should have been a reference. Atlantis, no...it would be far too convuluted.
                  At no point did I expect them to go into a long explanation recapping the events of "Prophecy". A simple "I've seen this before" from Carter would have sufficed.
                  [Cut back to O'Neill]
                  [Cut back to door]

Comment

Originally posted by The Maneuver View Post
                    At no point did I expect them to go into a long explanation recapping the events of "Prophecy". A simple "I've seen this before" from Carter would have sufficed.
                    We do have to remember that most of the audience has not seen that episode. Mentioning Prophecy would simply be confusing, I agree one line of text would have been appropriate.
                    sigpic

Comment

Ok. Three things I hate about both Stargate series that are all pretty similar.

a) Atlantis and SG1 barely ever refer to each other. Which is ridiculous, as half the situations in Atlantis have already been visited by SG1 in one form or another and drawing upon each other's experiences would solve a lot of problems.

b) They are constantly forgetting about past episodes (ie, Rodney states that seeing into the future is impossible even though it's been done three times in SG1 through various means).

c) Both series have completely forgotten about Jonas.

Jonas' tumor. Remember? Part of his advanced alien genes in combination with possible mutation from Nierte's device?
                      He could see visions with that.
                      When they started scanning this guy's brain, I thought that would be the first thing mentioned.

Comment

good point...

didn't actually think about that lol

nicely spotted

M

Click on the image to go to my fanfics.

Comment

Originally posted by squeakytoad View Post
                          a) Atlantis and SG1 barely ever refer to each other. Which is ridiculous, as half the situations in Atlantis have already been visited by SG1 in one form or another and drawing upon each other's experiences would solve a lot of problems.
                          Partly IMO because they're trying to make sure that those who haven't seen SG-1 aren't left behind by references to the other series, and also I noticed a LOT of squalling on the forums whenever reference was made to SG-1 about how SG:A is a different series and why are they constantly referencing SG-1??? Personally, I don't really mind either way

b) They are constantly forgetting about past episodes (ie, Rodney states that seeing into the future is impossible even though it's been done three times in SG1 through various means).
                          Can't really answer that one, except it's the same thing - separation of series. Although there's also the fact that McKay might not accept that it can be done, simply because he hasn't done it himself?

c) Both series have completely forgotten about Jonas.Jonas' tumor. Remember? Part of his advanced alien genes in combination with possible mutation from Nierte's device? He could see visions with that. When they started scanning this guy's brain, I thought that would be the first thing mentioned.
                          In a way, they did. Didn't the Doctor mention that there was no organic cause? So IMO there wasn't any reason to say anything specifically about Jonas' tumor. If a tumor had been found in the Seer's scans, then, yes, definitely bring up Jonas.

Comment

Bit of an old topic but I only recently saw the episode.

Now, I was annoyed with the excessive SG-1 quoting in episodes like Doppleganger. Which referenced a first season SG-1 episode; 'Lazarus' when the only similarity was: I touched a crystal and it zapped me.

However, I was also annoyed at this episode for not referencing Prophecy. You just can't win with me.

While I'd admit having Carter go: "Back on when I was with SG-1..." every episode would have got annoying quickly, This episode really, really, needed a Prophecy reference.

Why? Because all the tension in this episode rested on The Seer's visions being perfect and infallible and so forth but Carter's already seen Jonas go through the same thing. Already knows visions of the future aren't perfect by physics theory and by an actual example from her past: Jonas.

So her behaviour in this episode: worrying about future visions like she's never experienced before, is completely out of character and very aggravating.
                            sigpic
                            Banner By JME2

Comment

Since we're ranting generally about Jonas omissions through out SG1 and SGA, I'd like to add this one:
                              In Season 8 when Daniel was taken by RepliCarter, he says something like:
                              -" I'd prefer to go without the hand through my head thing". The odd part was that happened to Jonas in Unatural Selection, and not Daniel, who hadn't deel with a Human Form replicator untill that exact moment. You may argue he witnessed it in his ascended form, but it still is a strecht.
                              I wonder who really had a problem with Jonas, the hard core fans or the TPTB?
                              And I'd love to see him back in SG1 after Season 7 or, why not SGA, since he studied the Lost City for so long. Maybe in Universe. One can dream.
                              sigpic
                              Beautiful signature and avatar by Yamiinsane. You're a mind reader!
                              Aristides de Sousa Mendes

Comment

It's different.
                                Jonas had a tumour that gave him that powers.
                                Davos had them because he was on the path for the ascension.
                                The comparison can be made with the Teer in Epiphany, which was able to see through the eyes of others and was also able to see the future.

Comment

Working...
                                X