They forgot about Jonas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
    yup they shot it prior to s5, about the time when everybody thought s4 would be the last B5 season but when the show got renewed they just shot another finale and the original last ep became the s5 finale

well I don't know much about Charmed but it's another example of how TBTB would've dealt with the Jonas character in s7 - but they didn't! as for the tension, all I heard was that CN obviously wasn't happy about the decision but apparently he talked to MS about their situation and everything seemed to be ok
    Exactly. Even without knowing about the example I used that's what they do when actors get pissy at them.
    Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
    "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
    Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Is it about actually "forgetting," as in a deliberate attempt to not bring up the character? I don't think so.

Even though we'd like to believe the writers are as devoted, dedicated, heck, obsessive about a show as the fans are, they aren't. We know the *extreme details*, as in who wore what on what ep and how a story is similar to another from five years back, because we are fans. It's what we do.

I don't think Jonas was forgotten. I really don't see a similarity between The Seer and Prophecy, except there's precog in it. If we were going to draw some parallels, then I'd go for Prototype for the advanced human thingy. But it isn't similar to that ep either because Davos was born that way, and Khalek was created.

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
      O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

Originally posted by Argosy View Post
        Yes I was being slightly sarcastic. She never learned how to the play the cello…the reset button on “Unending” took that away from her.

What else is she going to reference all the time other than her tenure at the SGC? It would have been nice if she referenced Jonas, but it wasn’t necessary.

How’s that for topic relevance LOL?
        As opposed to those, what, four refenceres to four different episodes and incidents she and Keller made in that one single episode ("Doppelganger")?

At first, she seemed slightly skeptic to the Seer's powers. Then, when Keller discovered the source of it, she didn't even mention how Jonas once had the exact same thing happen to him (and just like with Rodney, it was through an Ancient DNA-manipulating device).

If they can reference four different episodes in a single episode, they sure as Hell should reference what happened with Jonas. But we all know that the PTB hate Jonas for whatever reason.

I mean, look at what happened in Season 10. When Langara fell to the Ori, not a single peep was said about Jonas.

Comment

Wasn't there a few complaints about Carter's references in Doppleganger?

If she references, some fans will whine.
          If she doesn't reference, some other fans will whine.

Seriously, what's the difference?

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
            Wasn't there a few complaints about Carter's references in Doppleganger?

If she references, some fans will whine.
            If she doesn't reference, some other fans will whine.

Seriously, what's the difference?
            The complaint was the number (for a single episode) of reference. The complaint here is the lack of a reference (especially considering their track record for referencing, hey, they even referenced "Tao...") when it was obvious there should've been one.

If they're gonna reference four different SG-1 episodes in a single episode, they sure as Hell could reference a single one in another.

Comment

The reference to Jonas in The seer, should have been put in, because it is extremely relevant. Even if it was only in passing and she apologised about not believeing jonas or something.

But quite frankly TPTB, don't care about Jonas and want to shove him under a rug. Which I hate with a passion. He was a great charater, and derversed more than 'Langara has fallen to the Ori (Obvious lack of a jonas meantion because we hate him.)'

Joe Mallozzi: "Like my grandmother used to say: Whenever a gate closes, a hyperspace window opens…"

Comment

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, I only skimmed the comments, but the writers DO reference the situation with Jonas, albeit indirectly. McKay says what sam said about predicting the future almost word for word.

Sam: "It doesn't work that way. According to Newtonian physics, yes...if you could know the position and velocity of every particle in the universe at any given moment, you could accurately predict all of their interactions for the rest of time."

Jonas: "So then, the future is predetermined. It's just a matter of having enough information to figure it out."

Sam: "Yes, but quantum mechanics blows that out of the water. According to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, it is impossible to look at a sub-atomic particle and know both where it is and where it's going at the same time. The more accurately you fix its position, the more uncertain you make its velocity and vice versa. The best we can do is calculate probabilities."

Comment

Here's what mckay says in the seer

McKay: "Look, in a mechanical, uh, Newtonian universe, not a problem. You know enough variables you can predict the outcome. But quantum physics blows that out of the water."

Comment

Even if they didn't want to make a specific reference, all they had to do was have an "I've seen something like this before" line from Carter, that would have been enough.
                    BTW, does anyone have any evidence that TPTB hate Jonas? Cos this is the first I've heard of it.
                    O'NEILL: For all we know, Daniel could came walking in that door right now.
                    [Cut to shot of the door]
                    [Cut back to O'Neill]
                    O'NEILL: Any time now.
                    [Cut back to door]

Comment

Originally posted by chobit View Post
                      Sorry if this has already been mentioned, I only skimmed the comments, but the writers DO reference the situation with Jonas, albeit indirectly. McKay says what sam said about predicting the future almost word for word.

Sam: "It doesn't work that way. According to Newtonian physics, yes...if you could know the position and velocity of every particle in the universe at any given moment, you could accurately predict all of their interactions for the rest of time."

Jonas: "So then, the future is predetermined. It's just a matter of having enough information to figure it out."

Sam: "Yes, but quantum mechanics blows that out of the water. According to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, it is impossible to look at a sub-atomic particle and know both where it is and where it's going at the same time. The more accurately you fix its position, the more uncertain you make its velocity and vice versa. The best we can do is calculate probabilities."
                      And this has what to do with Jonas?! The little reference to quantum mechanics?

"Quantum mechanics makes it only possible to calculate probabilities" -> Reference to that episode when Jonas was able to do the same thing? Hardly. I could argue he's actually referencing Teer.
                      Last edited by FallenAngelII; 25 November 2007, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Maneuver View Post
                        Even if they didn't want to make a specific reference, all they had to do was have an "I've seen something like this before" line from Carter, that would have been enough.
                        BTW, does anyone have any evidence that TPTB hate Jonas? Cos this is the first I've heard of it.
                        check out the posts of Mitchell82 and myself on page 2 and 3 of this thread
                        sigpic
                        The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

The PTB's convoluted history with Jonas/Corin Nemec:
                          * He was brought in to replace Daniel/Michael Shanks
                          * Then, when Michael decided to come back, they wrote his character out.
                          * It was, however, in his contract that he be allowed to write an episode (I think), so this is why we eventually got "Fallout".
                          * They originally intended to spin Jonas off to Atlantis. For whatever reason, this never happened.
                          * There has never been a single mention or even a reference to the character ever since.
                          * In season 10 (9?), it's stated that "Kelowna has fallen to the Ori". If the PTB didn't hate Jonas, they'd have had a character say something like "I hope Jonas is OK" or have the team look at each other in a meaningful way. Instead, it was treated like another "Oh well, an ally planet has fallen"-moment and then it was gone.
                          * No reference to Jonas in "The Seer" despite the same episode referencing "Tao of Rodney" (while that was slightly similar, "Prophecy" was much more similar) and the fact that the PTB just love to have Sam or Keller reference SG-1 episodes (like that time in "Doppelganger" where they collectively referenced four different episodes).

Yeah. The PTB just looooooove Jonas.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill_Ion View Post
                            Is it about actually "forgetting," as in a deliberate attempt to not bring up the character? I don't think so.

Even though we'd like to believe the writers are as devoted, dedicated, heck, obsessive about a show as the fans are, they aren't. We know the *extreme details*, as in who wore what on what ep and how a story is similar to another from five years back, because we are fans. It's what we do.

I don't think Jonas was forgotten. I really don't see a similarity between The Seer and Prophecy, except there's precog in it. If we were going to draw some parallels, then I'd go for Prototype for the advanced human thingy. But it isn't similar to that ep either because Davos was born that way, and Khalek was created.
                            Agreed. Prototype is what I thought of not Prophecy.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                              The PTB's convoluted history with Jonas/Corin Nemec:
                              * He was brought in to replace Daniel/Michael Shanks
                              Fact. Quite obvious.
                              * Then, when Michael decided to come back, they wrote his character out.
                              Incorrect. When Michael's dispute with TPTB whatever it was was resolved and agreed to come back the orriginal intent was to keep both on but it was too awkward for the two of them so it was decided to write the character out with the possibility of coming back.
                              * It was, however, in his contract that he be allowed to write an episode (I think), so this is why we eventually got "Fallout".
                              He had pitched an idea but it wasn't set in stone but they decided to do it anyway.
                              * They originally intended to spin Jonas off to Atlantis. For whatever reason, this never happened.
                              Not as far as I can remember.
                              * There has never been a single mention or even a reference to the character ever since.
                              * In season 10 (9?), it's stated that "Kelowna has fallen to the Ori". If the PTB didn't hate Jonas, they'd have had a character say something like "I hope Jonas is OK" or have the team look at each other in a meaningful way. Instead, it was treated like another "Oh well, an ally planet has fallen"-moment and then it was gone.
                              * No reference to Jonas in "The Seer" despite the same episode referencing "Tao of Rodney" (while that was slightly similar, "Prophecy" was much more similar) and the fact that the PTB just love to have Sam or Keller reference SG-1 episodes (like that time in "Doppelganger" where they collectively referenced four different episodes).

Yeah. The PTB just looooooove Jonas.
                              This proves they hate Corin(Jonas) how? Mention of Jonas was not necesary in Counterstrike. SImply saying they hadn't heard form their allies was enough. As far as the Seer it was not necesary as it wasn't really relevant. How did they mention Tao? Oh yeah the machine that was necesary but not Jonas.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                                Incorrect. When Michael's dispute with TPTB whatever it was was resolved and agreed to come back the orriginal intent was to keep both on but it was too awkward for the two of them so it was decided to write the character out with the possibility of coming back.
                                He was written out after only two episodes. I doubt they went "Let's keep both characters on the show" and then, after two episodes had been shot, decided to rewrite every single script after that to write Jonas out of them especially since they'd probably even started shooting a lot of those then. If this were the case, season 6 might've been delayed slightly because reshoots and rewrites.

He had pitched an idea but it wasn't set in stone but they decided to do it anyway.
                                I read that it was in his contract.

Not as far as I can remember.
                                Well known fact.

[QUOTE=Mitchell82;7364376]This proves they hate Corin(Jonas) how? Mention of Jonas was not necesary in Counterstrike.
                                Yes it was. Jonas was a main character for over a year (he appeared in three seasons). Not tertiary, not secondary but a main character. Corin Nemec had a starring role. I'm too lazy to check, but did he maybe even get the coveted "Corin Nemec as Jonas Quinn"-bit? The PTB love to reference past episodes and characters. As soon as the opportunity arises, they jump at it.

There is absolutely no logical reason for them to not reference Jonas should an opportunity like that arise.

* Main character
                                * Appeared in 3 seasons, 22+ episodes
                                * They love to reference

And they'd choose not to all of a sudden because?

Not a single time has Jonas been mentioned of referenced in the 4 years since he was last seen on the show, despite at least two glaring opportunities to do so.

SImply saying they hadn't heard form their allies was enough. As far as the Seer it was not necesary as it wasn't really relevant. How did they mention Tao? Oh yeah the machine that was necesary but not Jonas.
                                They referenced "The Tao", which really was less relevant than "Prophecy". In fact, it's almost irrelevant.

Much more relevant references are:
                                * People on the path to Ascension. Who knows, maybe he's the missing link, but Keller just naturally assumes he's a "genetic lotto win".
                                * The Ancients themselves (on the path to Ascension).
                                * And finally, "Prophecy", the one where a member of SG-1 became precogniscent through genetic manipulation of his DNA structure.

Comment

Working...
                                X