Did the Timeline really get erased?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by haloplayer View Post
    Well the plot of this Episode was to fix the timeline by erasing it and making a new timeline. But did it really get erased?

There are several theory's on what would happen if you went back into time and changed events.

Now one of the theory's is that when you go back into time and change an event the original timeline is erased and a new one is created.

There is another theory that when you go back into time and change and event insteid of erasing the original timeline a Parallel timeline (i think set in a parallel universe) is created in which everything up to that point is the same as as the original timeline. So the original timeline is not erased.

Now Sheppard was sent into the future in the normal timeline. He is sent back into time to try to change the timeline. When he gets back it was 12 days for the rest of the people back on Atlantis in which he had been missing. Now in the original timeline he never came back at that time and came back to Atlantis in the future.

So the question is that when John Sheppard went back into time to make a new timeline did he erase the other timeline that he came from or just make a new timeline and the original timeline stays and is not changed.

I think that they implied that he erased the original timeline (which was shown in flashbacks) and created a new timeline in which the rest of the show will take place.
    The future is erased, the future u came from is gone but you still exist. The physical form of our bodies as matter is complex pattern of disturbances in space and time. This means that there is a temporal component to our physical structure. We can be removed from our native time and space and still retain our own little slice of history. So i can go back in time and kill my ancestor, i just have no home to return to and no matter how long i wait around i will never see myself born.

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
      The future is erased, the future u came from is gone but you still exist. The physical form of our bodies as matter is complex pattern of disturbances in space and time. This means that there is a temporal component to our physical structure. We can be removed from our native time and space and still retain our own little slice of history. So i can go back in time and kill my ancestor, i just have no home to return to and no matter how long i wait around i will never see myself born.
      Wrong. When Shep went into the future an Alternate time line was created. When Shep came back that timeline exits in the other reality but Shep is back in ours. And if you go back and kill you grandfather sorry to say you won't exist.
      Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
      "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
      Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
        Wrong. When Shep went into the future an Alternate time line was created. When Shep came back that timeline exits in the other reality but Shep is back in ours. And if you go back and kill you grandfather sorry to say you won't exist.
        Actually killing your grandfather in the past is a PARADOX.

Example:

If i go back in time and meet my grandfather before he met my grandmother and i kill them that results in a Paradox.

Because by killing him i prevent him from making my father which prevents my father of making me which prevents me from ever going back in time in the first place and killing my grandfather.

So its not simple at all. If you kill your grandfather with a gun you wont just disappear because you don't exist anymore, your grandfather would not die either. Its a paradox because how can a bullet shot in the head of your grandfather NOT kill him?

I heard the only way to escape the Paradox is when you travel back into time not only are you traveling back into time you are sent back in time in a Parallel Universe. So if you kill your grandfather you are really killing your Parallel Grandfather which causes your Parallel Self of that Universe to be erased but does not affect you since you are from a different universe.

Comment

Originally posted by haloplayer View Post
          Actually killing your grandfather in the past is a PARADOX.

Example:

If i go back in time and meet my grandfather before he met my grandmother and i kill them that results in a Paradox.

Because by killing him i prevent him from making my father which prevents my father of making me which prevents me from ever going back in time in the first place and killing my grandfather.

So its not simple at all. If you kill your grandfather with a gun you wont just disappear because you don't exist anymore, your grandfather would not die either. Its a paradox because how can a bullet shot in the head of your grandfather NOT kill him?

I heard the only way to escape the Paradox is when you travel back into time not only are you traveling back into time you are sent back in time in a Parallel Universe. So if you kill your grandfather you are really killing your Parallel Grandfather which causes your Parallel Self of that Universe to be erased but does not affect you since you are from a different universe.
          Ok head hurts now.
          Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
          "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
          Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Sheppard wasn't in another timeline just in the future and het changed it.

And in moebuis sg1 changes the future by going to ancient egypt so in the future they are diffrent people but they still excist so if you kill you grandfather you may still excist.
            - Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
            - When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
            - Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
            - Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ...

Comment

Nothing ever gets "fixed", it just gets redone with different parameters.

The Atlantis Sheppard left will be engulfed by the sun and that timeline will go on as if nothing had happened.
              sigpic
              Don't forget to vote up if you like my ideas. (me <-- attention whore )

Comment

Ok head hurts now.
                Or to make it simple, you shot your grandfather, have sex with your grandmother who get's pregnant with your father
                I'm a 60%er | Sigs are made by me and othersThe Lorne Identity - A Lorne fanfiction collection community.

Comment

Originally posted by melfan View Post
                  Or to make it simple, you shot your grandfather, have sex with your grandmother who get's pregnant with your father
                  Spoiler:

Comment

The constant creation of other timelines is absurd. That the entire universe is recreated in its entirety billions of times every second would require an infinite amount of energy which time and space dont have. There is a specific amount of energy in the universe that would be calcuable if we knew the initial mass of the universe and the expansion rate of the cosmos.

Time is only a result of the outward motion of the universe. Where space and matter moves slower time is measurably slower. A plane flying in the sky or a ship in orbit experiences time a quantifiably measurable speed slower. outside the galaxies time is moving at a different rate based on the lower concentration of matter.

What this means is time is formed into little bubbles around matter within a larger expanding and diminishing bubble of the universe which is thinning and decreasing towards entropy, or zero time. Those last seconds when the last 2 atoms no longer have enough gravity to hold together are going to be very long indeed.

If we could change the speed and direction of something relative to the overall motion of the universe we could go back in time, forward in time or even stop or slow time. You could go back and kill your grandfather without destroying yourself because the very act of changing the direction and flow of time and space around your material substance has insulated that matter from the changes to the outside flow of time. Thus when the bullet goes thru his head and all the matter that makes up his genes and cells and your fathers and eventually yours are reordered into soemthing else by your original time. But youre not there and are safely isolate from those changes to your past.

A temporal multiverse is just absurd and naievely ignores that the cosmos is a self contained consistant finate structure. The idea that me deciding whether im gonna go to the bathroom or go to the fridge for a twinkie has enough energy to recreate the universe in its entirety without needing an entire universe worth of energy is rediclous.

Wow, wall of text

Comment

I'm not an expert on time travel, but Moebius nand 1969 should give us a clue which theory Stargateverse follows.

Comment

Working...
                      X