Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In order to feel for the character, you have to have a feeling for the character...and sadly I don't find Sheppard all that interesting. I mean, to say to me he's not interesting enough to care what happens to him.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
      Sorry Brian, but I felt nothing. I thought Sheppard seemed strangely disconnected from what was happening except in the beginning before McKay showed up. He made the sad face briefly but didn't seem to really grieve all that much for each team member. It was just Teyla's dead *beat*, Sam's dead *beat*, and move on. He seemed interested in what happened to Ronon, but we were cheated out of seeing his reaction. Of course he knew they were all dead, but curiousity made him ask I guess. Then finally with McKay, he needed that last piece of the puzzle, but again no big reaction.

The whole clip show feel of the episode just left me unmoved. And I usually tear up at Hallmark commercials. Good writing. Not so much. IMHO, of course.
      For me, this part of the episode was one of the things that worked (and there were parts that really didn't). I got a real sense of Sheppard's barely contained panic and desolation. More so from the expressions on his face than anything he said. He NEVER is very openly emotional and I think his reactions were very in character. IMO
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
        In order to feel for the character, you have to have a feeling for the character...and sadly I don't find Sheppard all that interesting. I mean, to say to me he's not interesting enough to care what happens to him.
        I felt more for Sam than for Sheppard

Comment

Originally posted by Integrabyte View Post
          I felt more for Sam than for Sheppard
          I felt a jab when Teyla was mentioned.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

But that was a really crappy way to kill Teyla, I felt more mad than anything else.
            sigpic

Comment

She paid the consequences for not going with Rambo Beckett

Comment

Originally posted by Lythisrose View Post
                But that was a really crappy way to kill Teyla, I felt more mad than anything else.
                and it was even worse when Sheppard changed the timeline so Teyla is stil alive
                Stolen Kosovo
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                  I had to ask a question to everyone,

When Sheppard is 40,000 years into the future, Did you get that feeling of sadness, and almost feeling alone like Sheppard was? I think the events of "The Last Man" were so real I felt how Sheppard was feeling. I know this sounds strange but I think a greatly written show makes the viewer feel what the character is experiencing or feeling as well.
                  I felt nothing. It wasn't touching at all. Sorry, but this isn't show with emotional moments like B5.

for example this is more touching than everything else on SGA
                  Stolen Kosovo
                  sigpic

Comment

Sheppard is too closed off sometimes. I agree he showed almost no emotion whatsoever upon hearing of the deaths of his friends. I get more emotion and caring from the little we see of Lorne, in fact when Lorne returned without Teyla back in "Kindred", his face expressed more emotion than Shep did upon hearing of her death. Its kinda hard to love a hero when they are a cold fish.

I just wish the timeline could change so we never have to see Woolsey on Atlantis, and so that Keller goes ahead with her death scene. I know - iz bad.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure View Post
                      Sheppard is too closed off sometimes. I agree he showed almost no emotion whatsoever upon hearing of the deaths of his friends. I get more emotion and caring from the little we see of Lorne, in fact when Lorne returned without Teyla back in "Kindred", his face expressed more emotion than Shep did upon hearing of her death. Its kinda hard to love a hero when they are a cold fish.

I just wish the timeline could change so we never have to see Woolsey on Atlantis, and so that Keller goes ahead with her death scene. I know - iz bad.
                      I'll drink to that

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
                        I felt nothing. It wasn't touching at all. Sorry, but this isn't show with emotional moments like B5.

Thank you for that clip. Now that show was well written. I think all that is true of Sheppard, and JF is certainly capable of portraying it. If he only had real better writers.
                        sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

I say it was one of the best episodes of an already fantastic season!
                          It feels good to be alive.
                          Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

When Sheppard is 40,000 years into the future, Did you get that feeling of sadness, and almost feeling alone like Sheppard was? I think the events of "The Last Man" were so real I felt how Sheppard was feeling. I know this sounds strange but I think a greatly written show makes the viewer feel what the character is experiencing or feeling as well.
                            I found Rodneygram to be the main source of pathos and sadness, he was the emotional connection to the events in the alternate future. Rodney programmed him well.

As for Shep, I get the feeling that he didn't necessarily grasp the situation fully. I mean, waking up 48,000 years in the future, being told every thing and every one you love is dead... I can understand that he's not really feeling the emotional impact of these revelations. For him, he's got to be focused on finding a way back.

Still, perhaps a bit more emotion might have worked.
                            sigpic
                            More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Yes, I did. It's been a theme for the entire series, Sheppard's distance from everyone, except the Team, and how he feels alone.

HoloMcKay did bring a lot of emotion to their scenes, as he had to explain the unfortunate fates of everyone. Both actors did a great job.

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
                              O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post

I felt it was touching but I didn't feel all that much either. You are right about B5. Even though you know when you watch 'in the beginning' that everything will be alright you still feel emense sadness (and also pride) at the situation. B5 had a way of showing you the big picture. It had huge scope and was of epic proportions. You just don't get that feeling when you watch Stargate. Don't get me wrong it's a fantastic show, and I wouldn't even compare the two shows because the structure of the series and episode are so different but you still don't get the same scope and there aren't any consequences to anyones actions.
                                Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Working...
                                X