Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

He's back!!!!! What do you think about it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by maxbo View Post
    What do I think of Carson's return? I loved it. In fact, I loved it even more than I thought I would. I didn't realize how much I had missed Carson until he returned and his being a clone didn't hinder that enjoyment one bit.

My only concern is that I wonder what the ultimate plan is for Carson because although his being a clone didn't effect my appreciation of the character, I wonder if that will be used as a reason to kill him off again after Season 5.

As it stands right now, there is no regular place in Atlantis for this new Carson because, as a clone, he can't be the CMO again and he's only scheduled for 5 episodes in Season 5, so I'm concerned about what will happen to him on the long run.
    Spoiler:
    I think it's an opportunity to write him back into the show. If there is a Season 6 pick-up, I think his episode quantity will at least double from Season 5. Also, he is returning for at least 5 eps. I think they might add more towards the back of the season. Not all the eps have been scripted out yet.
    sigpic

Comment

I'm glad Carson's back, I enjoyed the Kindred and at least having Carson there gives me a reason to watch some episodes next year (I will not be watching the rest).

I guess what I'm disappointed about is not the clone angle, I like ethical dilemas and moral ambiguity, what I'm disappointed about is how....unoriginal this story was. I mean I enjoyed it, it was good, but it was predictable. Nothing happened that hadn't already been guessed months ago. I wanted to see something big, something epic. Start a new storyline, jut something that made me go wow!!!, not, that was quite good!

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
        Spoiler:
        I think it's an opportunity to write him back into the show. If there is a Season 6 pick-up, I think his episode quantity will at least double from Season 5. Also, he is returning for at least 5 eps. I think they might add more towards the back of the season. Not all the eps have been scripted out yet.
        That's what I'm hoping for. Afterall, at the beginning of Season 4, Keller was only confirmed for 8 episodes and that increased as the Season went on. I suppose we'll have a better feel of how they're going to handle this once we see the Season 5 episodes.
        sigpic
        Sig by Luciana

Comment

That's what I'm hoping for. Afterall, at the beginning of Season 4, Keller was only confirmed for 8 episodes and that increased as the Season went on. I suppose we'll have a better feel of how they're going to handle this once we see the Season 5 episodes.
          Yeah, we have to see what Season 5 holds. Again, I still like to see more than 5 eps. I think 7 or 8 sounds pretty healty.
          sigpic

Comment

What do I think of Carson's return? I loved it. In fact, I loved it even more than I thought I would. I didn't realize how much I had missed Carson until he returned and his being a clone didn't hinder that enjoyment one bit.

My only concern is that I wonder what the ultimate plan is for Carson because although his being a clone didn't effect my appreciation of the character, I wonder if that will be used as a reason to kill him off again after Season 5.

As it stands right now, there is no regular place in Atlantis for this new Carson because, as a clone, he can't be the CMO again and he's only scheduled for 5 episodes in Season 5, so I'm concerned about what will happen to him on the long run.
            Spoiler:
            Could the writer bring him over to the purposed third spin off series?

Comment

Originally posted by miss_kaylee View Post
              Spoiler:
              Then people will be yelling SGA ripoff versues the SG1 ripoff.
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                Then people will be yelling SGA ripoff versues the SG1 ripoff.
                True, I would think from a viewer stand point, you bring a known character to it so it kinda connect the shows without being a ripoff. Plus then you can keep Keller on SGA and you got a use for Carson.

Comment

Spoiler:
                  Hmmm, I wouldn't mind seeing that.
                  sigpic
                  Sig by Luciana

Comment

If it was bringing over one character I don't think it'd be much of a problem (although there are always those who'd beg to differ). The problem is that crossovers seem to be like potato chips: one is never enough.

You start off with CC as your bridge. Fine. Then at some point CC runs into a problem that coincidentally happens to be Keller's area of expertise. Boom, now Keller's visiting. But fine, crossovers are expected, right? Then something else comes up and Shep pops by for a visit. Maybe he brings Rodney with him. After all, I'm sure Rodney can find some trouble to cause in whatever show he's on. OK, still understandable and maybe this time it's a situation only Rodney could handle. But then there's a political situation that develops and requires Woolsey's help. Or maybe even the coordinated effort of the whole team. Hmmm. It's bound to happen, right? I mean, politics follow you everywhere and Woolsey sure knows the political game. Then maybe for a switch it's Atlantis who needs the help and sends, I dunno, Teyla for help. Atlantis has needed SG-1's help often enough so needing SGU's help isn't outside the realm of possibility, but it doesn't end there, does it? Soon someone gets killed off of SGU and bingo, they decide to bring in Lorne as a replacement. Bump him up a rank to make it extra spiffy. Lorne fans will be happy to follow their favorite guy and naturally SGU fans won't complain because crossovers happen and it's only to be expected, right? And at least TPTB are giving us someone we know instead of creating a whole new character, as they are wont to do.

Maybe now they can work on the Carson/Lorne dynamic and reveal aspects of a long friendship we never knew existed on Atlantis. All for the good, right? But it doesn't end there. Maybe at some point Ronon has to pop by for a visit and test out SGU's Alien Warrior Dude to make sure he measures up. Plus, of course, visit with Carson and Lorne. After all, they used to work together so it'd be weird if they didn't hang out. And let's not forget Caldwell and the other ship captains, they're bound to be passing through SGU's neck of the woods on occasion.

Or if you like you can reverse things a bit and have Keller be the crossover character who needs CC's help at some point and then you can add a whole new 'ship when you bring Lorne over because naturally those two had a thing for each other on Atlantis.

ANYWAY, I'll be interested to see how the Keller vs. CC thing is handled next season... and if both of them manage to come out of it alive. I have a feeling that whatever happens some of the Carson fans won't be happy about it. I also worry about Keller's future. I know she's not a popular character, but I don't like to see ANY character treated like dirt and the fact that she's going to be a regular next season makes me very leery. That's what they did to Carson and look at the mess that made. At the very least we probably won't be seeing much of her anymore, which should make some people happy, although when we do see her it'll probably be for frivolous and non-essential reasons that relate more to Jewel's contract than a need for the character. With at least two new female characters being introduced AND the change in command to handle, there just won't be time to deal with Keller anymore.

I also wonder how much time will actually be spent on developing a cure for CC's genetic issues. Even if they raid Michael's lab and steal his supply of quik-fix, a character who needs regular injections would be very inconvenient on a show like Atlantis. More likely they'll find some permanent solution and it'll all be forgotten and CC will be written as the "real" Carson instead of as a clone who spent two years as a Wraith POW.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                      If it was bringing over one character I don't think it'd be much of a problem (although there are always those who'd beg to differ). The problem is that crossovers seem to be like potato chips: one is never enough.

You start off with CC as your bridge. Fine. Then at some point CC runs into a problem that coincidentally happens to be Keller's area of expertise. Boom, now Keller's visiting. But fine, crossovers are expected, right? Then something else comes up and Shep pops by for a visit. Maybe he brings Rodney with him. After all, I'm sure Rodney can find some trouble to cause in whatever show he's on. OK, still understandable and maybe this time it's a situation only Rodney could handle. But then there's a political situation that develops and requires Woolsey's help. Or maybe even the coordinated effort of the whole team. Hmmm. It's bound to happen, right? I mean, politics follow you everywhere and Woolsey sure knows the political game. Then maybe for a switch it's Atlantis who needs the help and sends, I dunno, Teyla for help. Atlantis has needed SG-1's help often enough so needing SGU's help isn't outside the realm of possibility, but it doesn't end there, does it? Soon someone gets killed off of SGU and bingo, they decide to bring in Lorne as a replacement. Bump him up a rank to make it extra spiffy. Lorne fans will be happy to follow their favorite guy and naturally SGU fans won't complain because crossovers happen and it's only to be expected, right? And at least TPTB are giving us someone we know instead of creating a whole new character, as they are wont to do.

Maybe now they can work on the Carson/Lorne dynamic and reveal aspects of a long friendship we never knew existed on Atlantis. All for the good, right? But it doesn't end there. Maybe at some point Ronon has to pop by for a visit and test out SGU's Alien Warrior Dude to make sure he measures up. Plus, of course, visit with Carson and Lorne. After all, they used to work together so it'd be weird if they didn't hang out. And let's not forget Caldwell and the other ship captains, they're bound to be passing through SGU's neck of the woods on occasion.

Or if you like you can reverse things a bit and have Keller be the crossover character who needs CC's help at some point and then you can add a whole new 'ship when you bring Lorne over because naturally those two had a thing for each other on Atlantis.

ANYWAY, I'll be interested to see how the Keller vs. CC thing is handled next season... and if both of them manage to come out of it alive. I have a feeling that whatever happens some of the Carson fans won't be happy about it. I also worry about Keller's future. I know she's not a popular character, but I don't like to see ANY character treated like dirt and the fact that she's going to be a regular next season makes me very leery. That's what they did to Carson and look at the mess that made. At the very least we probably won't be seeing much of her anymore, which should make some people happy, although when we do see her it'll probably be for frivolous and non-essential reasons that relate more to Jewel's contract than a need for the character. With at least two new female characters being introduced AND the change in command to handle, there just won't be time to deal with Keller anymore.

I also wonder how much time will actually be spent on developing a cure for CC's genetic issues. Even if they raid Michael's lab and steal his supply of quik-fix, a character who needs regular injections would be very inconvenient on a show like Atlantis. More likely they'll find some permanent solution and it'll all be forgotten and CC will be written as the "real" Carson instead of as a clone who spent two years as a Wraith POW.
                      I understand about crossovers. That was the only way I could think of where Beckett and Keller could both shine without pushing the other one to the back ground. The only other solution I could have think of would have been having them both recurring but since Keller is a regular, it going not happen this season. It would not fair to her to pushed a side by a recurring person. Maybe the only other way to bring him back without hurting Keller's slot is that instead of being the doctor, he goes to the scientist role more.

Comment

Sometimes crossovers can work - Star Trek has done it quite well in the past, and anyone who has been watching the current third season of Torchwood will have been plesantly suprprised too! (No spoilers there, don't worry.)

I guess I am disapointed, because I feel like the character that represents me and a lot of things I believe in (and not just because I am Scottish!) was taken away from me in a pointless and somewhat unbelievable way, and the writers have brought a different version in thats ' a broken toy.' Like the - "replace the dead goldfish and hope they don't notice its got a gammy fin" kind of thing. It makes their lives easier narratively speaking, while trying to keep the absolute finality of Sunday intact. - "Doctor Beckett is dead, get over it folks." I know I am being unfair - I don't envy them their job - but its how I feel.

In a bigger scale, Atlantis has always niggled the media critic in me because it has always tried to be bigger in scale and scope compared to SG1. Unfortunately, many of the aspects that make SG1 so strong to me are the smaller things. Team cameraderie, the careful and clever use of history, political intrigue, mythology and the blending in the real world amongst the thumps bangs and explosions. - Not to mention a steady transition of development in the characters, their situations and who is who in the cast. - To me, Atlantis has never quite been able to match up to that. No mythology beyond the city itself, clunky and unbalanced character development (Shep and Mckay yes, versus Teyla and Ford no,) and a serious lack of granduer or sense of wonder. I kept watching then reading, because there are aspects of the programme I like, and there is potential for something spectacular here.

Dr Beckett was a refreshing aspect of grounded reality. He was a normal person doing his job, thinking about everyone else, and what little we saw of him as a person reminded me that these people had lives before the stargate programme, and aren't all military, scientific egg head or diplomatic types. He was the essence of civillians caught up in something far beyond us and quite special.

In Poisoning The Well Dr Becketts strength comes from his overwhelming need to help other people. When that backfires in the episode he take the burden of responsibility on his shoulders for what he has done, and on a personal level pays the price too. Its a strong story and everyone does well in it, but it is very much the good Doctor's tale beacuse it is about him as a person as miuch as a medical man.
                        Added to that Mr McGillion's powerful presence in the role helped to act as 'glue' between all the characters. It was Beckett Teyla turned to for help with Charran, and only Beckett could draw Weir out of herself in Return Part II. Beckett brings out the better qualities in Mckay (something I thought impossible) and he is a reminder that even those of us who have had a fairly normal upbringing can make a difference.

I guess I am disapointed because it was too much to expect that we could get that character back. In plotline terms the family connection aspects have been transfered to McKay with his sister. (The Hewlett sibings are facinating to watch at work.) Keller is the Doctor on call now, nixing the medical aspects and expertise, and from the fact Clone Carson is a copy, any and all new aspects of the character can be explained away, while doing away with established details. - Carson killed 20 Wraith single handedly? must be his genetic manipulation! Urgh.

The result is a new character that can be used to manipulate the viewer into watching - yes he is Carson, while giving the narrative freedom to have him do anything, anywhere at any time and explain it away that he isn't Doctor Beckett. I'm sorry guys, I didn't mean to write a book, but Dr Beckett was, and still my favorite Sci Fi character. Its just a shame that the character is dead and buried and the writers couldn't have found a way to bring him back.

As for the Carson clone - I am doing a mental reset button. Same actor? Very good. Different character? - (Picks up a copy of SG1 - "Roswell" and walks off...)
                        Converting a human body into energy and sending it millions of light years through a wormhole. Bloody insanity!
                        Come on, how often do you get the chance to go to an alien planet?

I was a'ready on an alien planet!

- Poisoning the Well, Atlantis Season 1.

Comment

It would not fair to her to pushed a side by a recurring person. Maybe the only other way to bring him back without hurting Keller's slot is that instead of being the doctor, he goes to the scientist role more.
                          Fair? Since when has anything in life been fair? Would it be fair to boot Keller to make room for Carson? No, but look what happened with Jonas and Daniel. Is it fair to bump someone up to regular just so you can say, "See? We can make it dangerous, we can kill off REGULARS!"? Nope, but Beckett's already been down that route. Whatever happens with the Keller/Beckett thing, odds are someone's going to lose. And it'll be anything but fair.

Having Carson in a non-doctor role or maybe more in Research Mode while Keller handles the hands-on stuff is an interesting thought, but I'm not sure if fans could accept that. Granted, TPTB have made it pretty clear that they generally don't give a fig what fans think/want, but they also tend to put their characters in pretty little boxes and Carson's box says "doctor" so I dunno if they'd be able to find another box for him.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                            Having Carson in a non-doctor role or maybe more in Research Mode while Keller handles the hands-on stuff is an interesting thought, but I'm not sure if fans could accept that.
                            I could accept that. The way SGA went, Beckett ended up as more of a researcher than a doctor anyway as far as his function on the show is concerned.
                            sigpic

Comment

It would not fair to her to pushed a side by a recurring person. Maybe the only other way to bring him back without hurting Keller's slot is that instead of being the doctor, he goes to the scientist role more.
                              Why not? He was with the expedition from the beginning, she showed up 3 years later because he died. Now that he is back, and if you recall in First Strike she wanted a temporary assignment, she can skedaddle . Nobody is forcing her to stay. In this episode Carson showed Keller what perseverance and determinance means. She was like, oh well...code is complicated we won't be able to do anything, so let us give up. She felt embarrased that Carson dying was working his ass off so at the end she played the hero 'I have my best team working on the cure'. Hahaha the same way they were working on this random plague that suddenly appeared? She plays drinking games, whom would you ... games, almost snoggs Ronon, whines Teyla to death and suddenly in one episode we find out that she was very busy with a virus outbreak in the PG. Hahhaha, she cracks me up ....

Comment

Originally posted by Integrabyte View Post
                                Why not? He was with the expedition from the beginning, she showed up 3 years later because he died. Now that he is back, and if you recall in First Strike she wanted a temporary assignment, she can skedaddle . Nobody is forcing her to stay. In this episode Carson showed Keller what perseverance and determinance means. She was like, oh well...code is complicated we won't be able to do anything, so let us give up. She felt embarrased that Carson dying was working his ass off so at the end she played the hero 'I have my best team working on the cure'. Hahaha the same way they were working on this random plague that suddenly appeared? She plays drinking games, whom would you ... games, almost snoggs Ronon, whines Teyla to death and suddenly in one episode we find out that she was very busy with a virus outbreak in the PG. Hahhaha, she cracks me up ....
                                ha ha love what you're saying! agree agree agree. poor carson i'd be worried about
                                Spoiler:
                                getting out of stasis ever again

what with all her man-hunting, whining and drinking games, where will she find the time to find a cure? poor mary sue, you knew it would be tough on atlantis, admit you can't handle it and GO HOME!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X