BOO To Clones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xSFx View Post
    What's the big difference between "Carson.exe" and "Copy of Carson.exe" ?
    From a scientific point of view: absolutely irrelevant.

Ok, the living Carson needs to take some meds, but that's it.
    When I go up to my secretary and I ask for 50 copies for a contract, does she do 50 originals?

Comment

Originally posted by Integrabyte View Post
      When I go up to my secretary and I ask for 50 copies for a contract, does she do 50 originals?
      She'd better. Any secretary that leaves repli-Contracts on the loose should be fired!
      sigpic
      Don't forget to vote up if you like my ideas. (me <-- attention whore )

Comment

Clones are not an exact copy of the original. Even SGA got that part right, this Carson is not the exact copy of the real one... his DNA has aged for a start.

I guess for me there are somethings in scifi that I just hate and on top of that list are back from the dead and duplicate copies of those once dead. For me this just stinks of the worse thing in scifi you can do.

I don't care if some say it worked in other shows, may be you just think it worked. So we now let clone Carson operated on folks, sleep with gals, have kids and pretend he isn't a mutant! Sorry but I wouldn't even eat a cloned animal so what makes you think I would except a cloned human as part of Atlantis.

At least with Replicators you know where you stand.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbaro View Post
          I can't believe that Michael would've had the technology to "clone" Carson's consciousness. We know that the Replicators were able to do that after sticking their hands in someone's head, but why and how would the Wraith have ever developed that technology? They wouldn't have.
          Even the Asgard didn't. They simply transferred their conscoiusness from one body to another. So even though I'm glad that Carson's back I don't really like it.
          Oh well, won't make me stop watching because of that, anyway. Can't wait for TLM and then Season 5.
          well, the wraith did have the technology to clone. And they used it 10'000 years ago during thier war with the anicents. So we know they have at least some cloning tech. Its possible micheal had some knowledge, he could have also got some knowledge from atlantis. Hes already demonstrated that hes pretty good with science.

also, we dont really know that the asguard couldn't create proper clones. They could have been able to, but didn't agree with it, so just transfered consciousness

Comment

Originally posted by Vala_M View Post
            That always seemed over-exaggerated to me. Or is that just nanite constructed clones? Because Ba'al didn't have ZPM's yet he made 20+ clones of himself so I don't think that Michael would need a ZPM to construct a clone.

Vala,
            well, wasn't the point of the ZPM the wraith used because they were making 1000's of clones, not just a handful ?

Comment

Originally posted by The_Carpenter View Post
              I would guess that they get the cure early on in Season 5, but he is only recurring due to the IOAs views on him being a security risk

Tis my guess and I think it makes sense.... but then I would
              Well, Joe M mentioned in his blog about an episode where Carson's stuck off world with an all female team.

So I assume that would mean he's back on active duty.
              These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

Originally posted by Cycrow View Post
                well, the wraith did have the technology to clone. And they used it 10'000 years ago during thier war with the anicents. So we know they have at least some cloning tech. Its possible micheal had some knowledge, he could have also got some knowledge from atlantis. Hes already demonstrated that hes pretty good with science.

also, we dont really know that the asguard couldn't create proper clones. They could have been able to, but didn't agree with it, so just transfered consciousness

One problem here. They were cloning mindless drones. That is a big difference...This whole Michael got the knowledge behind the scenes is pure speculation and an excuse for the lack of info in the episode.

Comment

Hey, I'm all for clones as the next person, but if we let this go on they'll soon be taking our jobs, living in our homes and giving our children the idea it's normal to be a clone... er.

Seriuosly though.My problem isn't that Carson is a clone per se. I can live with that. The problem is that he's susceptible to Michael's influene. The path to "yet one more rogue Atlantis team member on the loose in the galaxy" is very short. And considering Weir after Ford, I won't be surprised if that's the path they'd choose for Carson, which will make me very unhappy!
                  Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                  Yes, I am!
                  sigpic
                  Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                  Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                  Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

the clone carson misses almost a year of memories from misbegotten through sunday and that's a big gap
                    - Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
                    - When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
                    - Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
                    - Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ...

Comment

I rather liked the whole Clone thing, Just as long as they don't do the Baal thing and keep killing him off then bringing in more and more Clones. I love how all 3 of the mian cast removed from the show are not still out their only ecah with a tiny diffrence
                      1. Ford: Should be dead but is still alive and now has superhuman powers due to wraith
                      2. Weir: Died but turned into replicator (twice)
                      3. Carson: Died butr remade as Wraith based Clone.

Why don't any of the other background SGC soilders which get killed every episode ever come back? That would be a funny twist!
                      Last edited by MechaThor; 02 March 2008, 08:42 AM.
                      sigpic
                      Banner Made By Me for Me
                      The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Vala_M View Post
                        Because we all know that clones aren't treated with the same dignity and respect as the original. How would any of you feel if you were taken away and a clone was put in your place? Wouldn't you feel mad and cheated? That is what everyone means by the clone is not the original.

That always seemed over-exaggerated to me. Or is that just nanite constructed clones? Because Ba'al didn't have ZPM's yet he made 20+ clones of himself so I don't think that Michael would need a ZPM to construct a clone.

Vala,
                        Guaould have genetic memories, other clones without this need every synapse and neuron connection exactly replicated, i bet this could take some doing (power)

Comment

Originally posted by Black Panther View Post
                          He is not the real Carson. The real Carson died in Sunday, and he is never coming back. No matter how much he looks, acts, or others wish him to be he is not the real Carson.

Personally I didn't have that much of an emotional attachment to this clone. Don't get me wrong I pitied him as I would any person who is in his predicament. I also agreed with what Rodney said about him not being a cheap copy. I am all for clone rights! It's just that the only emotional attachment I felt towards him mainly stemmed from the fact that he resembled Carson so closely, and the others felt like they were losing Carson again. Ultimately it was like watching a stranger go through that. Which is fitting because he is a stranger.
                          Hate to be a stick in the mud, but there is no REAL carson. Maybe thats too fourth wall but there it is. Both are characters portrayed by MG and theyre identical roles with only slightly different backstories.

Comment

Real within the context of the show.

And who's MG? I thought Paul McGillion played Carson?

Comment

I have a question for all of you "I wish we had found out that the clone had died in Sunday and this was the real one".

How would it be any different (other than the degenerative disease) if this was the real Carson and the clone died? They would still be missing all the time between "Misbegotten" and "Kindred". <snip...do not call others names>. Wishing it was the other way around would only change the fact that the Carson they found would not currently be in a stasis cell. That is the only thing that would change.
                              Last edited by Skydiver; 02 March 2008, 08:19 AM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Well, it was pretty obvious to me that Carson would had been cloned by Michael to make this work. And watching this episode, no surprise.

Comment

Working...
                                X