No announcement yet.

Destroyed or Not Destroyed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

we can be sure the explosion was massive, since the fireball's reflection was seen being reflected from the jumper's window (assuming the jumper is in orbit, about , say 22,000 mi?). An impact that reflect a fireball like that could make the planet uninhabitable for years, but that's not to say that all 3 ZPMs' where destroyed. They mave have survived the meltdown, 1 at least, if not all 3.

Comment

Originally posted by jonos101 View Post
      is there anything a nuke cant do
      Depends on how far it penetrates. If a surface detonation it won't really do much to all that stuff miles underground.

Originally posted by beire View Post
      that would be.. BAD
      Yes it would.. But it makes me wonder if his showing up later in the season might be tied to this facility as he gets it back up and running..

Comment

Originally posted by rarocks24 View Post
        It took an asteroid the size of 1 mi. to form the Gulf of Mexico and wipe out the dinosaurs. That thing is now a huge gigantic crater and anything that was there is destroyed. It's possible that the ZPMs survived, but are probably buried.
        I'm afraid not. The asteroid's size is estimated at about 6 miles wide and made a crater about 120 miles across on the tip of the Yucatan Peninsula that has since been buried. The Gulf of Mexico is not a crater, but just a terrestrially-formed, slightly-circular body of water.

Comment

Originally posted by Shan Bruce Lee View Post
          And am I the only one that thought the exterior of the building reminded them of Utapau? I was expecting Tion Medon to come out and greet the away team lol
          *gaspeth* That's exactly what I thought!
          What's life? Life's easy. A quirk of matter. Nature's way of keeping meat fresh.
          --Ninth Doctor

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
            I'm afraid not. The asteroid's size is estimated at about 6 miles wide and made a crater about 120 miles across on the tip of the Yucatan Peninsula that has since been buried. The Gulf of Mexico is not a crater, but just a terrestrially-formed, slightly-circular body of water.
            Is that what they're saying now. I don't really pay attention. I just remember hearing them recovering parts of an asteroid all throughout the gulf. Though if it hit the Yucatan, I guess parts of that asteroid would be found in the Gulf.
            http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by rarocks24 View Post
              Is that what they're saying now. I don't really pay attention. I just remember hearing them recovering parts of an asteroid all throughout the gulf. Though if it hit the Yucatan, I guess parts of that asteroid would be found in the Gulf.

Its really not even comparable to the Hiveship impact anyway. The Hiveship, despite being big, was just deorbited and aimed for the facility. Its mostly hollow, going *very* slowly compared to an asteroid, and is simply not going to cause anything like a large asteroid impact.

Its like taking a shoe box (hiveship), and dropping it on top of a glass table, compared to taking a baseball(asteroid) and throwing it at the same glass table. The baseball is much smaller than the shoe box, but is probably going to destroy the entire table. The shoebox will just flop down onto it, with barely a thud. The hiveship will leave a nice sized crater on the planet, but its absolutely not comparable to a large asteroid impact.

Comment

You should also take into account the power generations systems of that shoe box and the possible amplification of the explosion because of their destruction. It still isn't going to cause a Yucatan-esque crater, but it should add something to the mix.

Comment

aren't all auroras equipped with zpms?

Comment

Originally posted by General Burro View Post
                    aren't all auroras equipped with zpms?
                    Sounds like it, according to Todd's story of their original ZPM source.

Comment

Originally posted by Tain View Post
                      Sounds like it, according to Todd's story of their original ZPM source.
                      I don't think they are now. Considering what happened before I don't think the Asurans would do that for that reason of possibly having one stolen like happened before.

Comment

Originally posted by Myles View Post
                        I don't think they are now. Considering what happened before I don't think the Asurans would do that for that reason of possibly having one stolen like happened before.
                        Well, I thought he was referring to Ancestral Aurora's. Who knows what those zany globs of Grey Goo have done to the ship design in the last ten milenia

Comment

Originally posted by Tain View Post
                          Its really not even comparable to the Hiveship impact anyway. The Hiveship, despite being big, was just deorbited and aimed for the facility. Its mostly hollow, going *very* slowly compared to an asteroid, and is simply not going to cause anything like a large asteroid impact.

Its like taking a shoe box (hiveship), and dropping it on top of a glass table, compared to taking a baseball(asteroid) and throwing it at the same glass table. The baseball is much smaller than the shoe box, but is probably going to destroy the entire table. The shoebox will just flop down onto it, with barely a thud. The hiveship will leave a nice sized crater on the planet, but its absolutely not comparable to a large asteroid impact.
                          Yes exactly. The momemtum of the asteroid and the hive ship would be totally different. The asteroid has more mass than a hive.

But I do agree that the hive caused signifant damage but if did destroy the whole complex there would be a crater about a mile down and debrie thrown miles into the air and all we saw was a very small explosion.

It would be interesting if there is anther complex but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Comment

I don't think the entire installation, which is biiiiiiig, according to McKay, was destroyed, but the core systems were either destroyed or buried, so even if there are sections intact, they are probably inaccessible.

Until they are needed for future eps.

Originally posted by ashman2 View Post
                            I wonder if Michael will ever get a facility that big for
                            his super-wraith army
                            As was said before, that would be BAD!

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
                            O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

they should go back and nuke it
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wise one View Post
                                they should go back and nuke it
                                This is why they should keep an extra Mark IX or two lying around.

Comment

Working...
                                X