Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zelenka's appearance fanservice to quell the anger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
    I'd rather him not have appeared in "Reunion" than have him appear in "Reunion".

Let's see... Wraith base which had managed to capture Atlantis' flagship team and wounded Ronon + "captured three warrior Satedans". What do they send in? 4 soldiers (including said wounded Ronon) + an unarmed Radek. And what do we se him doing? 20 seconds of checking energy readings and pointing the way.

Illogical and unnecessary scene. I mean, what was Radek's purpose their, anyway? Anyone with a brain could've used that energy reader thingie. Sam could've used it or whatever.
    And if Carter had used the energy scanner, the anti-Carters would've seen that as a sign that she is taking over from Zelenka. Really, PTB cannot win!

You need to remember that Zelenka is not a main cast member. PTB have no committment or duty to having him appear in X amount of episodes per season. They include him because the fans like him and DN is a great actor.
    They include him whenever they can because they like him, PTB have said repeatedly that they will make the show how they want to and not pander to the demands of certain vocal groups of fans because they will never be able to satisfy everyone.

Zelenka's appearance fanservice to quell the anger?

The title confused me though. I`m a fairly regular reader of the GW forum and I have never encountered any particular amount of anger towards Zelenka's number of episodes or how he is utilised. Have I been missing all these anger threads?

Zelenka is a recurring cast member. PTB will use him as much as they please. As a Zelenka fan, I am happy with him appearing as often as PTB seem fit to include him and DN is available to appear.
    Don't be so ungrateful!

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
      Actually Joe M said Zalenka will have the most screentime in this season than in any other past season. So far he has been in the first 3 eps.
      David Nykl said much the same on his blog. I'm happy that we're getting more Radek as he became a favorite of mine almost from the very beginning.
      Originally posted by AutumnDream View Post
      Radek rules. I'm glad to see him any time.
      Indeed.

And to answer the question this thread raises...no.

I think they are incorporating more Radek because he fits...he has chemistry with the other cast members, is appreciated by the fans, is a good actor and is easy to work with. I don't have any reason to believe that TPTB were one bit concerned about the anger a small group of online fans might have with their stories. But then I reject your premise that Sam=less Radek. I think the fact he's getting a lot of great screen time this season disproves your claim nicely.

So no, it's not "obvious" that they're trying to quell something that doesn't exist outside the minds of a few.
      Last edited by Uber; 14 October 2007, 01:26 PM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

I actually just like having Zelenka around, I really like his character and enjoy his scenes with Rodney. I can agree that he isn't always used to much in some eps, but it's still nice to have him around even if it's just for a few scenes and a few lines. Would I like to see more of him? Sure! But he is a secondary character so I will enjoy whatever screentime he will get this season, just like the previous 3.

Not to mention that it's still early in the season, I'm sure we will be seeing more of our favorit Radek. And when even David says he will be having more sreentime, it sound even more good to me than coming from a producer or something. It's the little things that make him so enjoyable to watch on SGA, he works wonderfully with the cast and is a funny and very talented actor imho. Any screentime is better than nothing.

And I really agree about Radek getting some subtle development with him going off-world. We wouldn't see that as much in the past, but the character is growing and it's nice to see.

Comment

Originally posted by saberhagen83 View Post
          I actually just like having Zelenka around, I really like his character and enjoy his scenes with Rodney. I can agree that he isn't always used to much in some eps, but it's still nice to have him around even if it's just for a few scenes and a few lines. Would I like to see more of him? Sure! But he is a secondary character so I will enjoy whatever screentime he will get this season, just like the previous 3.

Not to mention that it's still early in the season, I'm sure we will be seeing more of our favorit Radek. And when even David says he will be having more sreentime, it sound even more good to me than coming from a producer or something. It's the little things that make him so enjoyable to watch on SGA, he works wonderfully with the cast and is a funny and very talented actor imho. Any screentime is better than nothing.

And I really agree about Radek getting some subtle development with him going off-world. We wouldn't see that as much in the past, but the character is growing and it's nice to see.
          He stood out as the hero of Adrift for me. Not to discount the contributions of everyone else of course, but Radek isn't used to being flung through space or working with a bullet hole in his leg...and yet he persevered and worked through the pain because he's a hero.

As for Reunion, I'm glad he was used as he was...both as a foil for McKay and also that Carter picked him for the mission. I much prefer him over some random scientist.

But then I'm completely biased because he's one of my favorite original SGA characters.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

hmm, what can I say? I am Czech and I love Radek. We all, czech fans, do. Of course we would be happy to see more of him. I heard complaints about it, that he isn´t there. I heard opinions that they should kick all SGA characters, put there SG1 character instead + Zelenka. I heard opinions that he should have an episode for himself. I heard that he should have episode like GUP where he would talk Czech all the time.
            I heard many and many crazy opinions from Czech fans. David Nykl was here on July and we love him.

But, I have never heard opionion like this. Of course, I might in the future, who knows. I can also make a poll in Czech forums if Czechs can see it that way But I highly doubt it. But of course, I am talking only about *this* fan, not all. So I am sure that some might feel it same way as you. But still...we are just glad he is there I even didn´t think about it before I read your post.
            We love him and want to see more of him. But we are also aware that he is a secondary character, so he simply can´t get so much space. In the minute he will become regular, sure.
            But I am not sure I want him to be regular....they are removing regular characters. Zelenka is there, when he is needed. Which means that he is there when he has something to do and is it imporatant. We have seen many times Weir or Teyla just standing somewhere, only because they were regulars, but were not necessary to be there. Same for Carson....
            So I disagree with what you are saying. *shrugs*
            Last edited by Klenotka; 14 October 2007, 02:16 PM.

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand." - G´Kar, Babylon 5

Comment

There's something about Zelenka that just seeing him do nothing in a scene is more than enough. So just looking at sensors and pointing and saying "There!"
              is like 100 times better than John telling us his life story.

I might be exagerating a little, but you get the point.
              [An alarm is sounding. Harriman checks his watch as he and Siler stand, facing Ba'al's hologram.]
              HARRIMAN
              I'm sure he'll be here any second now.
              [Ba'al is obviously impatient.]
              HARRIMAN
              So, um…

Take our ships, take our toys, take our awesome alien tech... I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take Stargate from me!

Special Thanks to Elles sence this is a ripof of her great sig.

Comment

Originally posted by Über View Post
                He stood out as the hero of Adrift for me. Not to discount the contributions of everyone else of course, but Radek isn't used to being flung through space or working with a bullet hole in his leg...and yet he persevered and worked through the pain because he's a hero.

As for Reunion, I'm glad he was used as he was...both as a foil for McKay and also that Carter picked him for the mission. I much prefer him over some random scientist.

But then I'm completely biased because he's one of my favorite original SGA characters.
                Absolutely agree- if the first few episodes are any indication, this will be an excellent season for Zelenka.

What is wrong with him just appearing in an episode to do some technical speak? That's the character's job. And it's definitely better than nameless scientist #1. If David Nykl is available, why not use him? Is it not worth having him show up if Radek isn't going to have some emotional turmoil or character revelation? That's the impression I'm getting from the thread starter.....

Comment

Episode count so far:
                  4x01 - Adrift - Is referenced for the first half of the episode, but does not appear or even speak through the radio. He gets some important screen time once he shows up, though.
                  I am starting to think we are watching different shows, or you are not watching the episodes at all.

Either that, or you are purposely out to cause those Riots you oh so love predicting with exceptionally misleading statements.

Firstly and most importantly:- Zelenka is a secondary character. You seem to expect he should be in every scene. Not even John is in every scene and he is the main character. Your expectations are not very realistic. Sometimes you need to accept that a secondary character is just that - a secondary character. I could be chucking a tantrum now because Keller wasnt in Lifeline OR Reunion! What about Chuck the Technician. He has fans too! Watching him get zapped in Adrift was just mean. We should get to see him all the time. They should just have every character on the screen the whole show talking. When they go through the gate, they should take everyone on atlantis with them! The poor Caldwell fans have been completely ripped off now.. No Caldwell at all!
                  I miss Cadman.
                  They should have them ALL on in HUGE portions and make the show go for 2 hours an episode so that everyone has plenty of time.

I know, I am sounding silly arent I... Yeah, thats what it sounds like what you are asking for with this Zelenka post.

Onto the eps..

Zelenka appeared in adrift at 2 minutes and 32 seconds into the episode.
                  His first line at that time is "I dont think the problem is on this end"
                  He then proceeds to have a conversation with Rodney that leaves poor John blinking because they are finishing each others sentences. During that conversation you both See him, and Hear him on the radio.

4x02 - Lifeline - Not that much screen time and not much of it was that important.
                  Timmy Torture got time.

4x03 - Reunion - Crappy, stupid and illogical screen time (why was he there with Sam, Rodney, John and Teyla?! What if a bomb had gone off?! And he doesn't even have the gene to operate the scanner he was using!). Obviously fanservice to quell our anger. Perfectly forgetably. In fact, this episode does not count because of the stupidity of his screen time
                  It doesnt count? Can I make that decision for myself please? Thanks.

4x04 - Doppelganger - No screen time
                  Havent seen it yet.. I prefer not to watch the screeners. But looks like you have been corrected in this too..

To have SEEN it, must mean you have a copy of the Screener since it hasnt been shown yet, so it wouldnt have taken too much effort to check your facts there. Something that you should be increasingly becoming aware of.. Your posts lack basis in fact.
                  : I would very much like to have a weapon such as this.
                  : Yeah, Get in line.

Comment

I'm starting to think that Fallen Angel II just likes to complain, stir the pot, make waves, whatever you want to call it.
                    sigpic

Comment

So we all know Radek won't be featured much in season 4 and most of us have presumed it's because of Sam. A cut budget, bringing in a starring actor from the original show, yeah...
                      Non-factual/opinion-based assumptions are about as useful as a screendoor on a submerged submarine.
                      I mean, for the first half of 4x01 "Adrift", Zelenka was referenced (by name!) repeatedly but wasn't actually seen onscreen or even heard through the radio 'til halfway through the episode!
                      Did you even watch Adrift? I saw Radek at the very beginning of the episode as he and McKay were sussing out the power drain problem.

He also was prepped for and went with Sheppard, was tossed across a great chasm, worked on and repaired technology while getting shot in the leg with a micro asteroid bullet thingie.

Like I said before, I felt he was the hero of Adrift.
                      And his screen-time in this episode! I mean, WTF?! She appears but twice this episode and his screen time totals less than three minutes. His first appearance is at the start where Rodney mistakenly thinks he's taking over leadership of Atlantis.
                      Yep...that was funny. But Radek has always proven to be a fantastic foil for Mer.
                      His second appearance is for a 30-second sequence where he... scans for energy. Rodney, the head of the science division, is captive and they send the 2nd in command to scan for energy readings?! A second in command who doesn't even have the gene to perform said action!
                      Actually we see him when Ronon gets back and briefs them. Carter preps the mission, orders Radek to get two jumpers ready for said mission and chose him to provide tech support for the team.
                      It's obvious they only included him to quell our anger of his reduced screentime!
                      It's obvious that you're superimposing your personal opinions and mistaking them as being facts. Again.
                      Let's give him some token screen time a little here and there to cover up the fact that we won't be using him much this year.
                      Exsqueeze me? He's already been on screen a lot more than he usually has been in the past. I don't consider any Radek screen time as being token. I see it as an enhancement to any episode regardless what he's doing. You do get that he's not the star, right? That he's a secondary character?
                      I mean, you could remove Zelenka's appearances from "Reunion" and nothing would change. Rodney could talk to Ronon or Teyla about his assumption and Random Scientist #31 could do the scan!
                      But why use Random Scientist #31 when you can use Radek? If David's available, I'd hope they'd pick him first.

Also...without Radek, we would have missed out on the humorous back and forth between he and Mer.
                      I hate it when they do stuff like have token appearances just for fanservice. I'd rather he not have been featured in "Reunion" (at least not in the "Let's scan for energy!"-scene) at all!
                      So you hate it when TPTB recognize that fans like a character and use him instead of some random no-name? You might prefer the no-name...I say, gimme as much Radek as you can please.
                      Episode count so far:
                      4x01 - Adrift - Is referenced for the first half of the episode, but does not appear or even speak through the radio. He gets some important screen time once he shows up, though.
                      4x02 - Lifeline - Not that much screen time and not much of it was that important.
                      4x03 - Reunion - Crappy, stupid and illogical screen time (why was he there with Sam, Rodney, John and Teyla?! What if a bomb had gone off?! And he doesn't even have the gene to operate the scanner he was using!). Obviously fanservice to quell our anger. Perfectly forgetably. In fact, this episode does not count because of the stupidity of his screen time.
                      I think it counts and I'm glad they use him. Again I have to ask...you do understand he's not a lead character, right? Oh I forgot to mention before...the device used didn't require a gene.

I found his screen time to be neither crappy nor illogical. I found it Radeklicious.
                      4x04 - Doppelganger - No screen time
                      Did you even watch Doppelganger?

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2007/1...ganger_t.shtml

Fourth picture down is a shot of Radek not in Doppelganger.
                      All in all, it's 50-50 so far. I'm not saying it's that bad yet, but if more of his screen time will be like that in "Reunion", riots.
                      First of all...it's 75-25 so far. Secondly, riots??? Puhleeze.

Comment

Working...
                      X