Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To the people who said Keller was too young.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Avenger View Post
    Stop applying what you would do to what happened in that episode. People react differently, and there are people who wouldn't be able get over it after ten minutes, or ever, for that matter.
    Yep, and those people would never make it past the screening process to work on Atlantis, much less go offworld. How Keller got through is baffling. Sure she's a medical prodigy, but she's embarrassingly green when it comes to difficult situations and military knowledge. Thank goodness she squeezed through before the military got its mitts on Atlantis - she would never have made the cut after that.

Comment

I hope her and Ronon pursue the attraction they felt in this episode. As soon as Ronon came into the infirmary with "another sparring injury" I had a Shawn Spencer like flash of "He likes her. He's letting himself get tagged on purpose so she can sew him up."

I don't blame him. Jewel Staite's a cutie and Dr. Keller is as well.
      "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
      "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
      BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jdog View Post
        kellers hot leave her alone, ill send the wookie after you.
        listen to this man, and take his words to heart. he's not joking.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
          Yep, and those people would never make it past the screening process to work on Atlantis, much less go offworld. How Keller got through is baffling. Sure she's a medical prodigy, but she's embarrassingly green when it comes to difficult situations and military knowledge. Thank goodness she squeezed through before the military got its mitts on Atlantis - she would never have made the cut after that.
          i thought people preferred atlantis to be civilianised - isn't that what you're saying about Weir being gone? Now you're arguing that the characters aren't military enough?

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
            That could be said for nearly all the civilian personnel. You think Katie Brown would hold up in the same situation? Or many of the other scientists that we've seen? Rodney still freaks out when Sheppard isn't there to keep him from losing it. Is it time to lose all the civilians in favor of military personnel who can handle the rigors of the assignment?

[mod snip]
            Last edited by TameFarrar; 19 January 2008, 10:03 PM.
            I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
              i thought people preferred atlantis to be civilianised - isn't that what you're saying about Weir being gone? Now you're arguing that the characters aren't military enough?
              Um, no. I'm arguing that new people who are going to Atlantis and muck around offworld, which they've known for years is quite dangerous, should have some experience with survival and military tactics. Keller seems to have little to none.

If the military is truly in charge of Atlantis now, then they should be even more stringent on who's allowed to come over or even stay in charge. However TPTB appear to have thrown military regulations to the wind in the past few years of the franchise, so I doubt that will ever come up.

Originally posted by Avenger View Post
              That could be said for nearly all the civilian personnel. You think Katie Brown would hold up in the same situation? Or many of the other scientists that we've seen? Rodney still freaks out when Sheppard isn't there to keep him from losing it. Is it time to lose all the civilians in favor of military personnel who can handle the rigors of the assignment?
              IMO, Katie shouldn't be there either, especially since it's likely she goes offworld for botany trips. But who knows, maybe behind that meek exterior lies a gal who can shut up and shoot a gun like nobody's business. She's a nonissue after Quarantine anyway - after her and Rodney went their separate ways we'll likely never see her again, thank the gods.

Rodney's case is slightly different, as he's the foremost scientific expert and is often useful when first encountering new technologies and the like offworld. Plus, he's saved the team's ass offworld more often than anyone else. I'm sick of his whining and hysterias myself - TPTB can tone that down any day now.

[mod snip]
              Last edited by TameFarrar; 19 January 2008, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Atlantis was touted as a civilian expedition from the start. They need the civilians for all the research they are doing. It would not be possible for it to be a strictly military operation. In that light, it is necessary that there be civilians who aren't hardasses in the field. Just like military personnel have their share of weaknesses, so to the civilians.

Comment

I fail too see why people expect a doctor who isnt there to go offworld would have some kind of military training.

What you expect? She helped cut dr.weirds head off Id say that counts as having a strong stomach at the very least.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                    A huge difference. She has shown that despite her being young and not ready for this position that she is a great doctor and knows what she is doing.
                    Being a great doctor does not automatically qualify you for being CMO of something as important as Atlantis. It's been stated already, but you need experience and specific abilities to do the job. It's like how you can be a great athlete and a great soldier and read up on everything you need to know about the Wraith. It does not mean that you'd be the perfect soldier to send out if they needed a one-man job to infiltrate a Wraith hive.

There's a lot of things you can't learn just from reading about it.

Comment

She hasn't failed as a doctor yet.

Comment

You know. I came up with this topic about 12 hours ago.........I was not expectig this much of a discussion. lol.
                        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Keller's a very touchy subject, especially for the hardcore Becket fans.

Comment

well I guess the people who are against Keller being the CMO have a good reason to be happy that Weir is gone then. After all, it was Weir who picked Keller for the position - despite Keller herself saying she didn't think she was ready for teh job.

Comment

The "experience" arguement is kinda weak for a couple of reasons.

1. I don't care how old a doctor is or how much experience he has on Earth... they're not on Earth, they're on Atlantis. They're not even in our Galaxy.

2. The Atlantis expedition is turning into the Atlantis settlement. You want somebody who's gonna be there for a long time. Not just somebody who's gonna be there for a while then retire and have to bring in somebody new all over again. (keep in mind that Earth experience doesn't mean as much on Atlantis)

3. Carson wasn't exactly a grandfather when he came to Atlantis.
                              || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by GateLadyM View Post
                                That doesn't make her a good doctor. She fully admitted no people skills, and the worst thing to ever happen to her was to miss some parties. Give me a break. The people around her have seen family and friends MURDERED and she is worried about parties???

Learning how to deal with "people" takes years of experience. She remains a whiny amateur.
                                I know! Why couldn't the writers have just written her as another one dimensional flawless character that we can all worship?!?

[/sarcasm]

Comment

Working...
                                X