Too much Earth idiosyncronisities?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shiro View Post
    I'm sure that most cultures have a concept of an underworld.
    why? it's a mythical concept

Comment

cuz most/all cultures have myths

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
      O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

Originally posted by Heaven View Post
        why? it's a mythical concept
        Okay, put it this way. Most Earth cultures, independantly of each other developed concepts of an Underworld. Ergo, it could be extrapolated that the same would happen across other cultures.

Particularly those in the Stargate universe that were seeded by humans from Earth!
        Last edited by Shiro; 05 December 2007, 01:57 AM. Reason: Grammar

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Shiro View Post
          Okay, put it this way. Most Earth cultures, independantly of each other developed concepts of an Underworld. Ergo, it could be extrapolated that the same would happen across other cultures.

Particularly those in the Stargate universe that were seeded by humans from Earth!
          And every single one of those called it Hell? Doubtful.

Comment

Originally posted by JackHarkness_Hot View Post
            In regards to the use of Imperial units (or what you Americans call it, English units), only 3 countries actually utilises it, United Kingdom (not so much now as 90% uses metric, 10% that do use it are actually the older generations), Canada and the United States.
            Speak for yourself... I'm not by any means "the older generations" and I still use a lot of imperial units. The UK generally uses a mixture of the two with the imperial measurement being the more common, accepted usage in a variety of circumstances - for example, height (of a person), weight (of a person) and distance/speed. For example, the primary measurement indicator on speedometers of cars in the UK is still mph and not kph, most people know their weight in stones and pounds, not kg, and likewise most people know their height in feet and inches, not cm.

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
            It's irrelevant whether the Keeper understood the reference to Hell and what it meant - Sumner told her to go somewhere (and the inference that it was an insult/defiant reponse was clear) and she replied that she'd go to Earth first. She didn't need to understand what Hell meant to give that reply.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffala View Post
              Ronon's word choices indicate that he's assimilated to Earth culture and it's not really surprising.

What I didn't like is when in Rising, Sumner tells the Wraith keeper lady to "go to hell" and she, completely understanding the phrase, responds, "Earth first!" Now, either she's intelligent enough to infer the meaning of the phrase without understanding what the concept of Hell is or it was just bad writing.
              Although I love the pilot, that scene makes me cringe every single time. I really wish they had cut her line there.
              Sign the Petition to get the SG-1 Complete Series Bonus Discs released separately!
              http://www.petitiononline.com/SG1CSBD/petition.html

Comment

j/k Cuz it made her look like a radical environmentalist?

Comment

I'd rather hear about PG slang, customs, and jokes from Ronon or Teyla any day over having Shep or Rodney explain another Earth triviality while Ronon and Teyla look blank. The latter happened yet again in MC when Walter ran his mouth while Ronon looked bored. Eh.

Comment

I think they should implement a new unit called:

PEGOMETERS!!!

"How far is the gate? Half a pegometer"

Comment

Originally posted by Integrabyte View Post
                      I think they should implement a new unit called:

PEGOMETERS!!!

"How far is the gate? Half a pegometer"
                      Sounds like a device that would measure pegs.

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
                        Speak for yourself... I'm not by any means "the older generations" and I still use a lot of imperial units. The UK generally uses a mixture of the two with the imperial measurement being the more common, accepted usage in a variety of circumstances - for example, height (of a person), weight (of a person) and distance/speed. For example, the primary measurement indicator on speedometers of cars in the UK is still mph and not kph, most people know their weight in stones and pounds, not kg, and likewise most people know their height in feet and inches, not cm

Actually Westminister parliament are in debate whether to use KPH instead of MPH on cars and road signs to align with the European Union established protocols.

Most may know their weight in stones and pounds but many documentations such as birth cert or medical files will state Kgs, plus 70% of the UK uses kg as a method of weighing one's self, like I know that I weigh 83kg as it's more accurate. How is 13 stones "accurate" for example? What is a "stone" in terms of mass. On a personal level, I view stones and pounds as a bit of a lazy man's way of stating mass, it's a generalisation of a mass in actual fact.

Our use of Feets & inches are the same as in the US, yes, it's still popular but again, in documentations these days, you don't get feet and inches printed on your file, it'll be in metres. Feets & Inches has just too wide of margin for error, for I say that I'm 6'1" right? That's about 1.855m, 6'2" is 1.88m, margin of error 0.025m/25cm, may not sound much but in the modern age, accuracy is key. I could be right in between 1.855m and 1.88m, what am I to say? 6'1" and a 1/2?

I know, who needs to be accurate? But, if we don't, you will find yourself paying more for your couple of loose apples the next time you go to your local suopermarket.
                        Last edited by JackHarkness_Hot; 05 December 2007, 02:16 PM.

Comment

6' 1 1/2" is acceptable to state as one's height. I'm 5' 9 1/2". Of course, that makes us sound like we want to be an inch taller, but we can handle that, eh?

Living in the US, I find it helpful to know both measuring systems. Not only is it good when I visit our northern and southern neighbors, I have recipe books that use metric. Also, some industries use metric, some Imperial. Pop/soda/soft drinks comes in both a 12 oz can and a .5 liter bottle. Or is it litre?! Bwahahaha!

Ahem.

For my personal experience, it's like wearing an analog or digital watch. One will work better than the other for different people.

Comment

Mannerisms are easily picked up, but I so didn't buy Ronon using the word "corporate".
                            If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
                              It's irrelevant whether the Keeper understood the reference to Hell and what it meant - Sumner told her to go somewhere (and the inference that it was an insult/defiant reponse was clear) and she replied that she'd go to Earth first. She didn't need to understand what Hell meant to give that reply.
                              Actually, she replied that Sumner should go to Hell before her.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                                Hell is the English word for the underworld. Not the Earth word for the underworld.

So if the aliens speak English, then it stands to reason they use the English word to fit the definition.
                                "I don't know what Irony means but I use it alot, Ironic isn't it"

"Sure there have been deaths and injuries in boxing, but none of them serious"

Bloke:Fat Penguin
                                Woman:What
                                Bloke:I just wanted to say something that would break the ice.

Comment

Working...
                                X