This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ranlier View Post
    Prosecution brings charges that Ltc. John Sheppard, USAF [hereafter referred to as "Sheppard"], exhibited willful negligence leading to the death of an American civilian on Unites States soil*.

Prosecution also charges that Ltc. Sheppard, again through negligence, allowed vital intelligence regarding Earth's primary military installation to be collected by a enemy combatant [hereafter referred to as "Todd"].

Prosecution does not bring charges of:
    Treason (Giving American Military secrets to a Wraith to aid a canadian national)
    Insubordination (Subverting the authority of General Hank M. Landry)
    Violation of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" (Screw you, slashers.)

*(I beleive the show implies that Henry Wallace is an American, despite Jeannie being kidnapped from Canada)
    OMG--ROTFLMAO--love that line.

Thank you for signing up!

Anyone think they can be a fair judge and have prior misgivings or at least separate misgivings from trail.

Also Shep has just placed his order for lunch and is praying for someone to take the case. He is currently eating a Kentucky Fried Chicken dinner complete with buttered roll and mashed potatoes.

His literature is the latest issue of sci-fi magazine and he wishes to hear Johnny Cash.
    Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

I'll volunteer to be an expert witness if you need a medical opinion regarding the daughter's ALL, or hey, I can even stretch it to psychiatry for Mr. Wallace, or Lt. Col Sheppard, since I think he's manic/depressive, currently manic (hint hint- defense attorneys).

But I'm one of those sleazy expert witnesses that just goes with the side that hires me, ya know? So I'd be happy to say he just has an antisocial personality disorder, which isn't a defense.

Comment

I'm sorry, but, I don't think this would ever come to trial. There would be no interest in digging into the details of the event that eliminated a dangerous loose end. A man who had infiltrated government agencies and stolen government secrets. Wallace was also responsible for multiple instances of kidnapping, assault, assault of a federal officer, attempted murder, various espionage charges, and treason. That doesn't even get into the dangerous activities attached to the experimental use of nanites.

Face it. Wallace was history. He was never gonna be a free man with what he had done and what he knows. His "accidental" death was good for the government. It would be left alone. Nothing to see here.

Comment

Well, depending on the kind of trial you end up with I volunteer for Jury Nullification.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by scholar View Post
            I'm sorry, but, I don't think this would ever come to trial. There would be no interest in digging into the details of the event that eliminated a dangerous loose end. A man who had infiltrated government agencies and stolen government secrets. Wallace was also responsible for multiple instances of kidnapping, assault, assault of a federal officer, attempted murder, various espionage charges, and treason. That doesn't even get into the dangerous activities attached to the experimental use of nanites.

Face it. Wallace was history. He was never gonna be a free man with what he had done and what he knows. His "accidental" death was good for the government. It would be left alone. Nothing to see here.
            You are correct, sir, however the military has been known to try officers when their conduct becomes known to the population at large. The "suspension of disbeleif" we offer here is that the Gateworld community is the "population" for whom this has been brought to light, and we as a community as sufficiently outraged that the military must take proper action. The episode represents security camera footage that we must use as evidence.

Comment

I've been calling for Sheppard's Court Marshall since the beginning of season 2.

Comment

I found an interesting book that has the rules and regulations of a court martial.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Court-martial

go to bottom of page and click on 2005 Court Martial United States edition.

will need pdf to view
                Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Already downloaded that, but its 907 pages. Oy.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
                    hence I didn't sign up for prosecutor because I already think he's guilty. We do know he falsified records--the show stated it.

It would be a military trial not federal or civil. It would be under military law. I am searching for military law currently.

There are 2 who have volunteered for defense but the trail will still need a judge and prosecutor. Till someone signs up Shep will just have to remain in a holding cell.
                    Actually, we heard Sheppard state, "I was showing Wallace the labs. The Wraith got the upper hand. That's what the report's gonna say."

So, he hadn't actually falsified anything yet. We have him speaking in future tense. He may have changed his mind, consulted a military lawyer as to how to write a truthful account that wouldn't get him in trouble, or been told by his superiors what to write. We never saw or heard anyone directly or indirectly reference the final written report.

It's like if I say, "I'm going next door right now and break into my neighbor's house."

*pause, sitting at keyboard*

Obviously, I didn't do it and didn't break any laws.

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
                    O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

Assuming I've been approved as lead prosecutor, I've already outlined the charges- willful negligence leading to the death of an American civillian.

This is consistent with everything we've seen to occur in the episode, including Sheppard's dialog. Prosecution alleges that he made no effort to adequately protect the unarmed visitor, which seems to be completely consistent with facts as known.

Comment

Well, if we have two volunteers for defense and none for judge I can become the judge. I am a very objective and impartial person.

Comment

Hear ye, hear ye! (hope that's spelled right)

At the end of the trail, I will trust the mods to make the voting ballot for us based on the charges brought forth by this trail.
                          Just curious - is that the trail Roy Rogers, Dale and Trigger are on? 'Cause I want to be on that one.
                          "Constable, she's making all this up out of motion pictures she's seen!"
                          -Cary Grant in Bringing Up Baby

Comment

Anyone think they can be a fair judge and have prior misgivings or at least separate misgivings from trail.
                            I haven't seen the episode yet - I have no idea what he did or didn't do, so I can be impartial.

Maybe, if the trial is to be conducted on the thread, it'd be a good idea to have at least two people sharing the roles of defender, prosecuter and judge, so we don't have to hang about waiting for people to show up.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by Jill_Ion View Post
                              He may have changed his mind, consulted a military lawyer as to how to write a truthful account that wouldn't get him in trouble, or been told by his superiors what to write. We never saw or heard anyone directly or indirectly reference the final written report.
                              In which case, he would be guilty of conduct unbecoming for following an unlawful order, following of said order, falsifying the documents (even if told what to put on it), allowing the death of a prisoner, conspiracy.

Comment

*goes off to get some pop corn*

Now go ahead - always curious for this American system of common law.
                                How many jurors do we get? Which law is to apply? Would have to be some non-public court procedure since everything is top secret - military court probably - is that without a jury? What about the concurrent competence of the I.O.A.? What consequences does that case have, considering further activities in the installations of the stargate program because I've heard they have case law in the US jurisdiction (in Canada and Australia too). Do we have any reference of court martials in any Stargate episode?

*munchs some pop corn*
                                Welcome to the zone where normal things don't happen...

...very often

Comment

Working...
                                X