My complaints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
    3. We've seen that gates are not so easily destroyed so why not go back in the jumper and dial the gate. though a lack of power may have something to do with it anyway.
    The gates would have been spinning pretty fast. Matching velocities and spin rates with a gate so that it is at a relative stop to the puddle jumper would be no mean feat. I'm surprised that they didn't try though. Or maybe they did, and thought it wasn't worth the risk? Or maybe the writers just didn't think of that... again.

This episode really reads (errrr... watches) like it was written in an incredible rush, as if they didn't have time to proofread it for continuity errors and silly mistakes. I suspect that when the season 4 DVDs come out the commentary will mention something along those lines. "I only had 4 days to pen this script, so it didn't come out as well as it might have."

Comment

Ok, my 2 cents...

Shep getting in the suit so fast. It was a stretch, but they didn't show that it was all buttoned up, did they? How long did they imply it took to get into the suits, properly sealed for use in space, in Adrift?

I agree the Wraith may have been thinking the stunners would overload the door's circuits. Even the geeks inside were a little worried.

I think a Jumper was a perfect escape pod. It has engines, defenses, radio, etc. The gates would have been moving rather rapidly. It may have moved out of range of its coordinates and could not be dialed. Without being able to stop its flight and fix the position, it was useless.

Rodney blowing up one more thing would have been too much, and too stupid.

Coolidge needed to mark his territory, so the attitude was not surprising. The surprising part was that he did not hold a grudge against Ronon for pretty much saying he was a coward for wanting to leave Teal'c behind. Shows there is hope for him.

I can forgive the few things for the overall very good episode. 43 minutes isn't a lot of time to tell the story.

Comment

Wernt the wraith trying to stun the door all drone clones? There not the smartest aliens in the universe. Theyre prolly alittle deedeedee. Cannon fodder.

Comment

Shep got out of that suit pretty fast too.

Maybe it was an emergency suit...or something.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
            Their are some things that really get on my nerves.

1. does every single IOA agent have to be unlikable.
            I generally find most politicians with a civillian background unlikeable

2. I personally think it would of been slightly better if Kavalagh actually did shut down the worm hole safely, and it something that Mackay did destroyed the station, it more fun picking on Mackay than Kavalagh.
            Not for me. I like seeing Ronon push Kavanagh.

3. Carter should of sent a nuclear warhead through to destroy the cruiser that landed on the planet, It would of destroyed wraith vessel, one less to worry about and stop them sending reinforcement through the gate and plus it limit the threat of them sharing the information with other wraith and obviously could eliminated the one that told them the info on Midway.
            Great! Then there'd be no episode!

4. Shepperd got in to that space suit, I seriously stupid, I mean if Shepperd could do that, then why did not he just climb into the Jumper, and it usally takes several people to put an asterought into a space suit in gravity. It just did not makes sense and it was obvious that the writers did not know how to get them out of it so just decided to have Shepperd be arrogant about it, stupid writing.
            It was a little too easy, I agree. Still don't think it's that big of a deal though.

5. What a stupid idea the puddle jumper as a escaped pod is, they had at leased five people then, I mean seriously anymore than ten people on that station at once and they would have to start pulling straws or something to decides who survive, I mean they must sent through more two people at once to station, plus their were more than 3 in the control center on the station. plus surly the gang who design the station must of relies a wraith incursion could mean they 20 or more solders to evacuate, talk about not building backup into the life boat system.
            I don't think the puddle jumper was an "escape pod" I think they just kept it around incase they needed to do something outside the station. The Midway Station was designed to only be accessable from either Atlantis or the SGC (which is why the Wraith needed all that equipment to get to it in the first place) so there wasn't really any need for a large security detail.

6. Wraith being so pathetically weak through out the episode, anyone than main cast character they killed instantly, then when suddenly come the main character, oops they loose their and their intelligent, I mean seriously how many wraith do they have to see dead before they relies their one guy with guns round the corner shooting wraith as they appear, before they start to relies going the other way or take cover and shoot from behind the cover.

but apart from that it was pretty good episode.
            It's the Stormtrooper/Cylon Syndrome A.K.A. "Henchmen" - These stories are about the heroes because they're the ones that are capable of pullin this stuff off. Otherwise they could just use a different SG team for every episode. (just think about how many times an SG-1 episode included the line "SG-[insert any number but 1] was wiped out, Sir")
            || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

1.) IOA = bureaucracy. Bureaucrats and people of action (aka military) never get along.

3.) Nuking the planet probably would have destroyed the gate and rendered the Pegasus side of the gate bridge useless. Not exactly the best first choice of tactics.

4.) Sheppard might not have had the proper codes to get into the jumper airlock.

5.) It's not really a problem if the station crew is three people, which it was, and even then, it was going to be two once Dr. Lee left.

6.) That called "It's a TV show and anyone but the main cast is expendable and the main cast always kicks ass". Stargate has always been like this.
              I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

I've recently brought myself to accept such flaws as these in tv shows and now I enjoy them much more. You should do the same.

I seriously stupid
                No argument there. Please brush up on your English ASAP.

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
                  It's one of the Stargate universe laws. US Marines are useless when fighting Wraith, superbugs etc. and these, in turn, are useless when fighting any of the main characters.
                  Rock, paper, scisors? So would the main characters be useless against the Marines?

Comment

Originally posted by An-Alteran View Post
                    Rock, paper, scisors? So would the main characters be useless against the Marines?
                    No, because the Marines' job is to expire whenever they're fighting anyone and everything. It's so we can pretend that the main characters are super heroes when they dispose of anyone and everything that wiped the Marines out.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lorr View Post
                      I think a Jumper was a perfect escape pod. It has engines, defenses, radio, etc. The gates would have been moving rather rapidly. It may have moved out of range of its coordinates and could not be dialed. Without being able to stop its flight and fix the position, it was useless.
                      Planets move around stars reeeeeallllly fast. And stars move around the central core reallllly fast. If a gate can't take being moved at a few metres/second then every gate would be immediately rendered useless due to planetary and stellar motion.

No, the gates weren't used for the same reason that Walter didn't activate the Iris, and the same reason that Carter didn't nuke that Cruiser, and the same reason that John didn't just step into a handy airtight closet instead of pausing time, and the same reason why the Wraith were idiots in this episode.

It was partly the fault of the person who wrote the episode, but mostly the fault of the people who edited the script. Obviously they all fell asleep on the job.

Comment

Stepping into an airtight closet is the worst idea ever. Seriously. Think about it for one second. As soon as said air tight closet is opened, all the air that was inside would rush would have rushed out. Then once John gets inside and seals it, there would be no air to breath and he would have died. Seriously, if you're going to come up with "better ideas", take the time to make sure it's actually better.
                        I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

I know this is a show BUT Sheppard joining on the whole fight/betting was so annoying, isn’t he a Col. In the USA? I know there are civilians and all, but were those he draw the line?

Sheppard getting into that suit, he was dying the last scene we saw, and doesn’t it take two or three people to help one to get into them?

The whole SGC was with out a commander, and the first to woke up were the politicians and the technicians, what happen to the soldiers and SGTeams.
                          sigpic

Dare and Dream

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger View Post
                            Stepping into an airtight closet is the worst idea ever. Seriously. Think about it for one second. As soon as said air tight closet is opened, all the air that was inside would rush would have rushed out. Then once John gets inside and seals it, there would be no air to breath and he would have died. Seriously, if you're going to come up with "better ideas", take the time to make sure it's actually better.
                            Umm... air doesn't move instantly. It takes time for air to completely evacuate an area. So once he opened the closet, the air pressure inside would normalize with that of the immediate area of the station (in which the pressure would be rapidly, but not instantly, dropping). He could then step inside and close the door. The air would be thin, but humans can survive for a while on very thin air. Not for a long while mind you, but it was only like a minute or 2 before they repressurized. Even in a vacuum a human can last 30 seconds to 2 minutes (though with damage). He'd have been fine.

By the way, someone mentioned that the wraith might need more oxygen than humans, and that's why John was able to overpower the lead Wraith. I think that's not a bad idea. The wraith obviously have the ability to rapidly use energy (their bursts of strength), and more energy usage means more oxygen usage. So that may be why that Wraith was so weak compared to John.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord batchi ball View Post
                              Because we have to hate someone, otherwise the show would be all happy and such.

Why because then we would be out of nuc. And also they might not have had any other than the one that was on the self destruct. And you can't compromise your security to destroy part of the enemy.

Maybe he did'nt know the code to get through the door
                              He had a radio, calling the station crew for the password would of taken a hell of a less time than putting on space suit, which usually takes hours and several people to help to be able to used.

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
                              It's one of the Stargate universe laws. US Marines are useless when fighting Wraith, superbugs etc. and these, in turn, are useless when fighting any of the main characters.
                              Originally posted by SoulRe@ver View Post
                              yup so it balances out
                              Suppose, of its just dodgy writing, directing of the script.

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
                              I dont think ive ever had a single boss who wasnt a dillweed. I find the ioa believable, lulz.

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                              How many politicians are actually likable? My point is they are supposed to be arrogant pricks.
                              Actually not all are arrogant little pricks. Some are actually alright and likable.

One the warhead wouldn't have done a thing unless you could get it to the ship which would take awhile. Second the gate and equipment could easily survive the explosion.
                              I doubt it could survive survives a nice mark 9 nuclear bomb. And that ship was no bigger than a cruiser, couple of drones can inflict a lot of damage on a single cruiser, a Nuc would destroy a cruiser.

I'll grant you that him getting into by himself is unlikely but how is this arrogant?
                              Mistake, fixed.

Originally posted by Little_McKay View Post
                              My main complaint:

It's Dr. Kavanagh!!!

There's about 20 versions of his name on the forum - it's KAVANAGH!!!! No l's no u's!!!

Anyway, the space suit thing did indeed bug me. However, did he know the code to get to the jumper? Did Dr. Lee pipe up and tell him?

Not THAT many people are supposed to go through the Midway station at any time so there SHOULDN'T be a lot of people on the station. Therefore one jumper should normally be enough - this was a unique situation. We don't know how many jumpers there are spare in the first place. If they over stocked it with jumpers there may have been one less when they needed it to blast those asteroids in the beginning of season 4! lol.

Also, they were NOT planning on any wraith attacks - ever! It was a "secure" macro and assumed to be 100% safe - maybe an incorrect assumption, but they never planned for attacks of need for escape.
                              Yeah And it cocky rodney doing the programing, If I was the person signing this off, I would of made sure to quadruple the security at the station, put in a auto shut down of the system if alien life signs are detected, but hey that just me.

Well sorry about spelling Kavanagh wrong, it seems everyone else gets it wrong through, I blame the writers for choosing a difficult name to spell.

Originally posted by Detox View Post
                              Shepperd had a thing called a radio, would taken a hell of lot more effort that putting a space suit on.
                              What else would they use as a lifeboat then? Earth doesn't have any transport vessels. Besides, Puddle Jumpers can hold quite a bit of people, at least 15, probably more, as seen in Rising Pt2 and Letters from Pegasus.

Also, it's spelt realize, not relies.[/QUOTE]

A puddle jumper just have then mention their several at the station, or when Shepperd ask, say the nearest one is, which would of pointed to them having more than one on the station, thus it makes me happy and fixed a design flaw in the station/plot hole.

Thanks for the spelling mistakes it fixed now.

there really are only three things i have a problem with in that ep.

1. the speed shep got into that Suit. Ordinarily I can come up with an explanation for practically any plot hole but that one really eludes me. would have been easier if they'd opened the hatch to the Jumper and found John inside already.
                              The only one I can come up with is one of ascended female girlfriends decided to save his ass, it the only explanation.

2. The fact that shep was able to fight off a wraith despite him already suffocating, although I suppose it is possible that wraith require much more oxygen than humans.
                              Possible I suppose.

3. We've seen that gates are not so easily destroyed so why not go back in the jumper and dial the gate. though a lack of power may have something to do with it anyway.
                              Most likely.

Originally posted by gopher65 View Post
                              This episode really reads (errrr... watches) like it was written in an incredible rush, as if they didn't have time to proofread it for continuity errors and silly mistakes. I suspect that when the season 4 DVDs come out the commentary will mention something along those lines. "I only had 4 days to pen this script, so it didn't come out as well as it might have."
                              The problem is the primary things wrong with the episode should either been fixed during the production of the episode, surly the entire cast did not spot their was no way for Shepperd to get in and out of that space suit in time allowed. Maybe all the writing crew plus, all the production crew and plus the actors themselves were just having a off day.:

Ok, my 2 cents...
                              I agree the Wraith may have been thinking the stunners would overload the door's circuits. Even the geeks inside were a little worried.
                              They would of **** their pants if it was just polite knock at the door. And the other problem surly the Wraith assault crew would bought something more powerful to get past these kinds of problems.

I can forgive the few things for the overall very good episode. 43 minutes isn't a lot of time to tell the story.
                              Their was not much of a story their anyway, ninety percent of it was teal'c and Ronon shooting wraith, or beating each other up, fixing these mistakes would of made the episode even better.

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                              Shep got out of that suit pretty fast too.

Maybe it was an emergency suit...or something.
                              Maybe, I think it more likely to be one of his ascended girlfriends, it the only explanation.

3.) Nuking the planet probably would have destroyed the gate and rendered the Pegasus side of the gate bridge useless. Not exactly the best first choice of tactics.
                              it would not. Mackay already rerouted the gate bridge through another gate. Plus we know disabling one Stargate through the use of explosives does not affect any other stargate unless the gate is connected with it, which if we set the bomb to destinate 5 seconds after sending it through, the gate would closed down, thus not affecting any other gate in the system.

4.) Sheppard might not have had the proper codes to get into the jumper airlock.
                              He had a radio, dah, why not used it.

5.) It's not really a problem if the station crew is three people, which it was, and even then, it was going to be two once Dr. Lee left.
                              Wrong, there were three in the control room. two walking in the corridor. A further two in the gate room. Their would of been a leased two to four more in reserves for shift rotation, so at least 15 , plus additional guests would have been on the station at any one time. Plus surviving in a single puddle jumper with fifteen people on board for at least two weeks, with enough food and water, it simple not plausible.

6.) That called "It's a TV show and anyone but the main cast is expendable and the main cast always kicks ass". Stargate has always been like this.
                              Yeah but they can get stun/beaten/tortured, all are rather fun to watch.

Originally posted by o-0 View Post
                              I've recently brought myself to accept such flaws as these in tv shows and now I enjoy them much more. You should do the same.
                              Nay, that mean the writers can do dumb and stupid writing. Instead of thinking through their stories and making sure the story makes sense with in the universe they have created.
                              Last edited by knowles2; 11 May 2014, 12:27 AM.

Comment

I do understand that planets move very fast, etc., etc., but I was only offering a possibility. The calculations for the coordinates of a planet based, surface or orbiting, gate may include the orbit of the planet around it's star. A gate out in the void between two galaxies may require something a little more complex.

Just because a full explanation is not shown for each and every detail, doesn't mean there isn't one. Would the screen time taken to show the Jumper chasing the gate and trying to dial, or Sheppard getting in and out of the suit, contributed so much to the story that it was necessary? It would have been very nice to see, but TPTB can cram in only so much exposition in the alloted time. Science fiction requires some suspension of disblief.

Comment

Working...
                                X