No announcement yet.

Irises on Midway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I totally agree that they were way to condifdent. I mean if it is so important that the wraith don't find the milkyway then they need to go all out

I think they thought they were safe because

1) No one can just dial the midway station, you have to be either at Atlantis or the SGC with the corresponding macros to reach the midways line of space gates. so no real need for an iris on that count.

2) Also because no one can dial the midways gate address as they are not within eithers galaxy network they exist in the void between them so those line of gates are off the grid. thats why the wraith had to travel to the furthest planet hook up their tech to access the line of gates between galaxies to reach midway.

3) There's no one else really out there now that has galactic hyperspace capabilities so no need for shields because no body could reach the midway.

But still if they are the best of the best and have global funds then yeah an iris and shields would be an obvious precaution as "you never know".

If they rebuild it I'm guessin they'll be more cautious and need to make the midway as safe as the SGC or atleast a 304 with good lock down facilities and protocols and an iris.

Maybe not shields because if it does get overrun again a 304 or the puddle jumper or a 302 can come buy and jus blow it up. Becuase it is small and i doubt you could just hit it a few times and then board it with no problem. Because its no real use to an enemy like the wraith destoyed

Comment

Originally posted by Cree View Post
      I think that earth and atlantis showed some almost goa'uld like stupidity and overconfidance here, by not adding iris's to the midway gates. never underestimate your enemy, it seems we're getting so powerful we are begining to make the same mistakes as the Goa'uld.

Also Kavanagh is an idiot, end off!

I loved the midways station, i hope they bring kavanagh back so he can die!
      An iris is very dangerous, if there is a mistake transferring the IDC like in A Matter of Time the idc coming through slowly it's !splat!.

We're "lucky" we've never seen an accident with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch_Razor View Post
        An iris is very dangerous, if there is a mistake transferring the IDC like in A Matter of Time the idc coming through slowly it's !splat!.

We're "lucky" we've never seen an accident with it.
        yeah i don't think an iris would work now coz you need an consistently open wormhole which would allow waves to fly in between. the midway lines dials to one gate stores in buffer dials another and sends it thru. so radio waves wouldn't get thru as only matter is really transported thru the gate

but yeah i kno wonder if they're has been any IDC mishaps. couldn't an enemy hold out on a research base scans for IDC's when a gates open and then use it for an attack. unless they're given a randomised code each time so they only get one use?

Comment

Originally posted by x303 View Post

1) No one can just dial the midway station, you have to be either at Atlantis or the SGC with the corresponding macros to reach the midways line of space gates. so no real need for an iris on that count.
          We have seen before though that the bridge can be hacked, in return part 2 mckay edited his own code to dial from a different gate in the milkyway!

granted stupidity etc blah blah, but it did give us one hell of an episode!

Click Signature for my take on all things in life, also known as my BLOG!!
          Please Read and if it interest you make a comment

Atlantis -
          SG1 -

Comment

For an IDC:

What you do is this: Send through a group of travellers, with a special IDC. Have the last gate in the network programmed to scan the incoming matter stream for an IDC, then pause. Have a subspace transmitter on that gate. The gate activates the transmitter, and sends the IDC. If it receives a confirmation, then it unpauses the macro and continues forwarding it.

Or, better yet, get rid of the Iris completely. Have the gate on the receiving end scan the incoming matter stream, and then decide if you want it to reintegrate that stream. If you don't like what's coming through, press the big red delete key, like they almost did to Teal'c in that one episode. Presto, problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
              Hell even the SGC just opens the door for midway without any extra IDC.
              watch it again walter says "Receiving Midway IDC." before opening the iris.

Perfecto!

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Griff View Post
                watch it again walter says "Receiving Midway IDC." before opening the iris.
                I said extra IDC. I assume that midway would send a standard IDC, now why not have whoever it is coming through put their IDC in, or Midway being required to put through a manual (all safe code) to go along with the standard "someone is dialing from midway" automatic code.
                Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

I said extra IDC. I assume that midway would send a standard IDC, now why not have whoever it is coming through put their IDC in, or Midway being required to put through a manual (all safe code) to go along with the standard "someone is dialing from midway" automatic code.
                  what would be the point of that? you don't send two idc's when you are gating in regularly. One idc is enough. They would have no reason to have more than just the midway IDC be broadcast. Obviously when they rebuild they need to install a couple of irises on the two gates, but there is no reason they would have made people broadcast more than one idc. That would be like SG-1 is returning from a mission and Jack sends his idc and they make Carter send hers too just to be sure Jack wasn't compromised. They wouldn't do that.

Perfecto!

Comment

When people put in the IDC from any other offsite world. It is a PERSON manually entering their personal (presumably secret, maybe randomly generated before each mission IDC). It makes a certain bit of sense to have midway send an auto one to indicate the stream is coming from that base. But unless you have someone enter in one MANUALLY you basically are giving anyone who takes over you computer free access to the SGC. As it is much easier to hack a computer then a person (well except maybe Kavanah who I hope to god they didnt give an IDC to) it would be practical to have a second IDC in this case, where it is not needed on other offworld missions.
                    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

When people put in the IDC from any other offsite world. It is a PERSON manually entering their personal (presumably secret, maybe randomly generated before each mission IDC). It makes a certain bit of sense to have midway send an auto one to indicate the stream is coming from that base. But unless you have someone enter in one MANUALLY you basically are giving anyone who takes over you computer free access to the SGC. As it is much easier to hack a computer then a person (well except maybe Kavanah who I hope to god they didnt give an IDC to) it would be practical to have a second IDC in this case, where it is not needed on other offworld missions.
                      I was working under the assumption that they sent the IDC manually and got the code form Dr. Lee, but even if they have an auto idc to be sent they still thought that Midway was totally secure, which was bone headed not to have extra security and irises on the the gates, but they thought Midway was secure so they would have no reason to need extra idc's.

Perfecto!

Comment

I was working under the assumption that they sent the IDC manually and got the code form Dr. Lee, but even if they have an auto idc to be sent they still thought that Midway was totally secure, which was bone headed not to have extra security and irises on the the gates, but they thought Midway was secure so they would have no reason to need extra idc's.
                        Yeah that was really their first mistake. And I dont know what they could possibly base that attitude on given they know that the wraith were able to hack the replicators base programing, what makes them think they cant hack Mckays program.

Comment

Yeah that was really their first mistake. And I dont know what they could possibly base that attitude on given they know that the wraith were able to hack the replicators base programing, what makes them think they cant hack Mckays program.
                          Very true, they were way too arrogant about that, especially after they very likely brought Todd, A WRAITH, through midway twice each time getting 24 hours to drink it all in. As soon as they let him go they should have installed irises on Midway, but it doesn't bother me too much since "Midway" was a really great ep imo. Definitely among my favs.

Perfecto!

Comment

Originally posted by Nightgod View Post
                            1) When John/McKay took control of the Command room on Midway how come they did not vent all the air at the beginning? That would have stopped all the Wraith.
                            For the same reason that John leaves Mckay, to try to save the marines.

2) At Stargate Command when you see an object coming through the gate that you don’t know shoot and ask question later. Also go to Code red.
                            Which could possibly cause a major explosion, start a reaction with a the gate, and blow up half of Colorado?

3) Also when the gate activate at stargate command don’t the door for the gate room close? How come the Wraith were able to get out of the gate room at Stargate Command?
                            The doors do close, I would assume the Wraith forced the left door open to leave as we see the right door is closed when Teal'c and Ronon come through.

As for the whole not having an iris on Midway deal, it wouldn't do any good. Anyone traveling to or from Midway would go through the last gate in the network. This gate would have to be the one from which the IDC is sent. Therefore, there would be no way to determine whether or not the incoming travelers are friendly. The only parts of the episode that disturbed me were the two guards nonchalantly chatting during an unscheduled activation and the fact that Mr. Coolidge was the first at the SGC to wake up after it has been demonstrated that those with stronger constitution general awaken from a stun first.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden` View Post
                              As for the whole not having an iris on Midway deal, it wouldn't do any good. Anyone traveling to or from Midway would go through the last gate in the network. This gate would have to be the one from which the IDC is sent. Therefore, there would be no way to determine whether or not the incoming travelers are friendly.
                              Midway was able to send an IDC to the SGC through the gate bridge. It was stated in the episode. Therefore, you can also send an IDC to Midway. Furthermore, you can send data through the bridge (McKay was doing the status reports just before they lost contact, also in this episode) and the IDC is just data. It does not have to be sent from the last gate.

Comment

Couple of things that bug me

1) When John/McKay took control of the Command room on Midway how come they did not vent all the air at the beginning? That would have stopped all the Wraith.

2) At Stargate Command when you see an object coming through the gate that you don’t know shoot and ask question later. Also go to Code red.

3) Also when the gate activate at stargate command don’t the door for the gate room close? How come the Wraith were able to get out of the gate room at Stargate Command?

For a military run facility they seem to be making too many mistakes, procedure are not being followed.
                                With all the Sh*t that has happen at stargate command and off world you think they would learn
                                1. I guess since it would also kill the good guys, they did it as a last resort.

2. Because that Wraith thing was in a shield it wouldn't have done any good to shoot it apparently

3. I don't know. Maybe they took a keycard from one of the unconscious guards and opened it and closed it back?

I wonder if in Miller's Xing if they used the ZPM to bring Todd to earth or if they went through the bridge. If they used the gate bridge, Todd would have had 24 hours to find out every thing he would need to know about midway station.
                                They used the Intergalactic Bridge I'm fairly sure since they want to save ZPM power as much as possible. I wonder why saving the ZPM powr is an issue now, it apparently wasn't in season 2.

Vala,

Comment

Working...
                                X