This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Integrabyte View Post
    This quarantine idea is weird. If you travel to the SGC via Midway you get to stay on the station 24 hours. If you dial with the ZPM you get quarantined at the SGC. I doubt Midway has better quarantine facilities than the SGC. So why do you keep people on midway for 24 hours? Send them home via Midway and quarantine them at the SGC like you do when you dial with a ZPM...
    My guess is the experience from Tabula Rasa - an airborne contagion that presented symptoms within 6 hours. The day at Midway would prevent a fast-acting airborne illness from spreading. Once they step through to the SGC, everyone in the room would potentially be exposed.

As portrayed in Midway, travelers aren't "quarantined" in the truest sense. They are kept there for a day to make sure they aren't sick, but they aren't isolated.
    sigpic
    Sig by Luciana
    My LJ Proud member of W.A.S.P. My Fanfics

Comment

I don't think they even use the ZPM way to get home anymore. It's Midway, or no way!

Well, not anymore, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
        I don't think they even use the ZPM way to get home anymore. It's Midway, or no way!

Well, not anymore, of course.
        I was thinking about that, all the other gates should still be there, so all they have to do is build another Midway station, unless of course the risks are too risky!

I always wondered how on earth the gates actually stay where they placed. Even if you're in a shuttle craft wouldn't there be (no a draft in space), but perpetual motion, stellar drift? or something like that, that moves their positon. We know from SG1 that planets drift, and so the coordinates have to be updated every so often, I wonder how that's done, and who does it?

Am I talking gibberish again?

Comment

Originally posted by Pegasus_SGA View Post
          I was thinking about that, all the other gates should still be there, so all they have to do is build another Midway station, unless of course the risks are too risky!

I always wondered how on earth the gates actually stay where they placed. Even if you're in a shuttle craft wouldn't there be (no a draft in space), but perpetual motion, stellar drift? or something like that, that moves their positon. We know from SG1 that planets drift, and so the coordinates have to be updated every so often, I wonder how that's done, and who does it?

Am I talking gibberish again?
          The only thing I can come up with comes from way back in early SG-1 when they are trying to explain why they could reach Abydos but not the others. Something like they were close enough together that the program could compensate for the amount of stellar drift that had occurred.

I obviously need to watch CotG again.
          sigpic
          Sig by Luciana

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffles View Post
            The only thing I can come up with comes from way back in early SG-1 when they are trying to explain why they could reach Abydos but not the others. Something like they were close enough together that the program could compensate for the amount of stellar drift that had occurred.

I obviously need to watch CotG again.
            Because i'm a geek

JACKSON: Then where did your Ra lookalike come from? (as Carter is speechless) I - I don't pretend to know anything about astrophysics, but couldn't the planets change? I mean, uh... drift apart or something like that to throw this map off?

CARTER: I knew I'd like you.

JACKSON: You mean I'm right?

CARTER: According to the expanding universe model, all bodies in the universe are constantly moving apart.

JACKSON: So in the thousands of years since the Stargate was built -

CARTER: All the coordinates could have changed.

JACKSON: But why does it still work between Abydos and Earth?

CARTER: Abydos is probably the closest planet in the network to Earth. I mean, the closer they are, the less the difference in relative position due to expansion. The further away, the greater the difference.In a few thousand more years, it won't work between Earth and Abydos either.

JACKSON: Unless you can adjust for the displacement.

CARTER: Right. Now with this map as a base, that should be easy. All we have to do is correct for Doppler shift.

Standing apart from the two of them, Kawalsky and O'Neill look on, unable to comprehend the technobabble.

CARTER: Then I should be able to arrive at a computer model that will predict the adjustments necessary to get the Gate working again.

KAWALSKY: Okay. So what did we just figure out?

CARTER: Any civilization advanced enough to build this Gate network would be able to compensate for 50,000 years of stellar drift.
            ooooh i was soooo close Stephen Hawkins eat your heart out.

So, we know that the Ancients take into acount these stellar drifts with the correlative updates, but with no DHD's to hand, how does it work? Okay, i'm having a brain fart moment here, have we ever seen the DHD's in the PG? And if you take them out of their 'designated coordinates' of where they were initially placed, wouldn't that screw up the calculations?

Okay i've given this way tooo much thought! I can't help myself I never gre out of the 'But WHY' phase as a child.

Comment

Because i'm a geek

JACKSON: Then where did your Ra lookalike come from? (as Carter is speechless) I - I don't pretend to know anything about astrophysics, but couldn't the planets change? I mean, uh... drift apart or something like that to throw this map off?

CARTER: I knew I'd like you.

JACKSON: You mean I'm right?

CARTER: According to the expanding universe model, all bodies in the universe are constantly moving apart.

JACKSON: So in the thousands of years since the Stargate was built -

CARTER: All the coordinates could have changed.

JACKSON: But why does it still work between Abydos and Earth?

CARTER: Abydos is probably the closest planet in the network to Earth. I mean, the closer they are, the less the difference in relative position due to expansion. The further away, the greater the difference.In a few thousand more years, it won't work between Earth and Abydos either.

JACKSON: Unless you can adjust for the displacement.

CARTER: Right. Now with this map as a base, that should be easy. All we have to do is correct for Doppler shift.

Standing apart from the two of them, Kawalsky and O'Neill look on, unable to comprehend the technobabble.

CARTER: Then I should be able to arrive at a computer model that will predict the adjustments necessary to get the Gate working again.

KAWALSKY: Okay. So what did we just figure out?

CARTER: Any civilization advanced enough to build this Gate network would be able to compensate for 50,000 years of stellar drift.

So, we know that the Ancients take into acount these stellar drifts with the correlative updates, but with no DHD's to hand, how does it work? Okay, i'm having a brain fart moment here, have we ever seen the DHD's in the PG? And if you take them out of their 'designated coordinates' of where they were initially placed, wouldn't that screw up the calculations?

Okay i've given this way tooo much thought! I can't help myself I never gre out of the 'But WHY' phase as a child.
              Magic planets. Gotcha.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
              K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                Magic planets. Gotcha.
                or MAGNETS!!!

Comment

Because i'm a geek

*snorfle*

We have seen DHDs in Pegasus. (think Phantoms - crazy guy blew it up) However, they've never address how the space gates really work. Obviously no DHD there.

If you really want to ponder this, go to the end of SG-1's S1 (I have completely lost the name of the ep) where the stargate is on Apophis' ship. Once the ship takes off, the SGC can't reach it. However Daniel can use it to gate off the ship while it's in Earth's orbit. And yet in First Strike/Adrift, Atlantis can't use theirs because they don't know where they are.

So, could Daniel use it because he knew the gate addresses based on Earth coordinates or is it a plot hole?

Regardless, the gates can be reprogrammed to new addresses. Or else our happy team would be stuck on the city forever since they are now on a new planet.
                  sigpic
                  Sig by Luciana

Comment

*snorfle*

We have seen DHDs in Pegasus. (think Phantoms - crazy guy blew it up) However, they've never address how the space gates really work. Obviously no DHD there.

If you really want to ponder this, go to the end of SG-1's S1 (I have completely lost the name of the ep) where the stargate is on Apophis' ship. Once the ship takes off, the SGC can't reach it. However Daniel can use it to gate off the ship while it's in Earth's orbit. And yet in First Strike/Adrift, Atlantis can't use theirs because they don't know where they are.

So, could Daniel use it because he knew the gate addresses based on Earth coordinates or is it a plot hole?

Regardless, the gates can be reprogrammed to new addresses. Or else our happy team would be stuck on the city forever since they are now on a new planet.
                    Ah yes, PHANTOMS, crazy Shep, where everyone got shot, BUT Shep.

I remember now, didn't Daniel die in that ep? Or they thought he died? (I know there's so many of them eps, it's hard to pin it down. ) He managed to dial earth because they were so close to it weren't they? If I remember rightly the ship was heading towards Earth, so maybe like Abydos, the proximity of the gate to the DHD plays a part of it? I still have no clue how the 'gates in space work, no DHD, stellar drift, I wonder if they work like the 'gates on Earth? On Earth there was two 'gates with the same address, maybe that works on a similar principle, cos wasn't the original DHD in the Antarctic knackered? So maybe you can dial a planet and it will either bring you to the nearest space 'gate or the planet itself?

Hmmmmm Peggy = speculating wildly

Ssssssshh Ruffles, don't mention 'plot holes'! Inte will come running into the thread, shouting another victory. He's like Brian with his numbers only with Inte,it's plot holes, well the mere mention of the word.

Comment

And he is usually wrong about something being a plot hole about as much Peg comes up with a crazy thought.
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Daniel managed to escaped through the stargte in season twos the serpent's lair because the mothership with the gate on it was in orbit around earth and so daniel could use earth as a point of origin the same was done in season three finale Nemesis. And the reason why in adrift they couldn't dial was because they werent near a planet to use it as a point of origin i think
                        Duet

"... because of Doctor Fumbles McStupid over here!"

Conversion
                        "Enjoy the ride Colonel their making me walk."
                        "You've got a splinter Rodney!"

Comment

Ah yes, PHANTOMS, crazy Shep, where everyone got shot, BUT Shep.

I remember now, didn't Daniel die in that ep? Or they thought he died? (I know there's so many of them eps, it's hard to pin it down. ) He managed to dial earth because they were so close to it weren't they? If I remember rightly the ship was heading towards Earth, so maybe like Abydos, the proximity of the gate to the DHD plays a part of it? I still have no clue how the 'gates in space work, no DHD, stellar drift, I wonder if they work like the 'gates on Earth? On Earth there was two 'gates with the same address, maybe that works on a similar principle, cos wasn't the original DHD in the Antarctic knackered? So maybe you can dial a planet and it will either bring you to the nearest space 'gate or the planet itself?

Hmmmmm Peggy = speculating wildly

Ssssssshh Ruffles, don't mention 'plot holes'! Inte will come running into the thread, shouting another victory. He's like Brian with his numbers only with Inte,it's plot holes, well the mere mention of the word.
                          Oops. Forgot about the dreaded PH term. I hereby vow to never use it again.

Daniel almost died in that ep, but of course, what ep does that not happen in? He threw himself in a sarcaphagus to heal from his lovely horrid staff blast wound and ran for the gate, escaping in the nick of time. I believe the proximity to Earth allowed for Earth coordinates to be used (he couldn't dial Earth because he would get a busy signal).

As far as I can tell, the gate will function as long as specific coordinates are known. Since the spacegates have specific coordinates (even without being near a planet) they should work.

I wonder what would happen if a comet passed nearby....
                          sigpic
                          Sig by Luciana

Comment

I have a question that i dont think has been asked yet. I am in the middle of re-watching "Midway" and i have noticed a crucial flaw in the wraiths plan to take over the base. When they first dial earth and send the big stunner bomb through the gate, chief says "Midway's IDC. Opening Iris" and he opens the iris via hand ID, it doesn't do it automaticly. So since all of the base is now stunned when the wraith redial and step through there is no one to open the iris and they will be squashed by the iris.
                            Duet

"... because of Doctor Fumbles McStupid over here!"

Conversion
                            "Enjoy the ride Colonel their making me walk."
                            "You've got a splinter Rodney!"

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                              And he is usually wrong about something being a plot hole about as much Peg comes up with a crazy thought.
                              Hiya babe of course i'm crazy, i'm a whumper it's who we are

Originally posted by SG-ME View Post
                              Daniel managed to escaped through the stargte in season twos the serpent's lair because the mothership with the gate on it was in orbit around earth and so daniel could use earth as a point of origin the same was done in season three finale Nemesis. And the reason why in adrift they couldn't dial was because they werent near a planet to use it as a point of origin i think
                              I knew that was what it was, thanks hon.

Oops. Forgot about the dreaded PH term. I hereby vow to never use it again.

Daniel almost died in that ep, but of course, what ep does that not happen in? He threw himself in a sarcaphagus to heal from his lovely horrid staff blast wound and ran for the gate, escaping in the nick of time. I believe the proximity to Earth allowed for Earth coordinates to be used (he couldn't dial Earth because he would get a busy signal).

As far as I can tell, the gate will function as long as specific coordinates are known. Since the spacegates have specific coordinates (even without being near a planet) they should work.

I wonder what would happen if a comet passed nearby....
                              no worries I don't have issues with that eppy. Just don't mention it in front of some of the others. You know how they get.

*giggles* Oh it certainly was a fantasticly whumpy so painful staff blast. Damn that Daniel, getting all the good whump! Poor Daniel. *sniff*

I think that must be what it is, the close proximity to another planet and they can use the other planet as POO.

*waves to Inte* WoW 10 minutes, you're getting slow in your old age.

Comment

*waves to Inte* WoW 10 minutes, you're getting slow in your old age.
                                Not really. It simply takes more to turn me on .

Comment

Working...
                                X