Possible drone plothole?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Avenger View Post
    Technologically, bigger comes first, then things get smaller as the technology improves.
    Not necessarily, if you look at things like ships and airplanes, they were smaller before the technology to make them big was developed. Also there are times when people will start with smaller proof of concept models before building a full size thing. I'm not saying something like this happened with drones, just that technology advances on both ends of the scale, smaller isn't necessarily more advanced. It could be the mini-drones needed less energy to work than larger drones and were therefore easier to build and maintain during the testing phases.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Not all tech starts large & then becomes smaller. Once a civilization reaches a certain tech level they can make small prototypes for testing until they are confident to make larger versions to save on the cost of materials.

For example, Japan is launching a small paper craft treated with special heat resistant substances from the International Space station before making larger craft from the materials being tested.

The Ancients my have done the same sort of thing; start small, perfect them, & then make them to the required sizes later, or they may have just been testing new versions of the drones.
      Either way, what was said in the episode did seem a little odd.

But hay, its just TV!

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
        That doesnt work. The outpost would have been lost by then and the gate seperated from the outpost or they would have thawed Aiana.
        Huh!!!!

The returning Lanteans from Atlantis, came back to Earth through the Antartic outpost which still had the Stargate in it at the time!

As for Ayianna. We know Atlantis left the MW somewhere between 5 & 10 million years ago. She was still living then. Therefore how would the Lanteans at the time have had any clue as to her still being around. Stasis pods barely keep a person alive for 10,000 years, never mind someone from millions of years before. Ayianna was out in the snow for whatever reason. She obviously had an accident & ended up being frozen solid. No life signs were coming from her. So nobody would have had a clue she was there!

Comment

Not sure if anyone has said this already, but ...

They left Earth for Lantea because of the plague.
          They left Lantea for Earth again because of the Wraith.

Not entirely a one sided affair. The chair and drones could have been installed after they returned. After all, why would they need a "second" chair on earth Before hand when they had Atlantis there?
          : I would very much like to have a weapon such as this.
          : Yeah, Get in line.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Boy View Post
            Huh!!!!

The returning Lanteans from Atlantis, came back to Earth through the Antartic outpost which still had the Stargate in it at the time!

As for Ayianna. We know Atlantis left the MW somewhere between 5 & 10 million years ago. She was still living then. Therefore how would the Lanteans at the time have had any clue as to her still being around. Stasis pods barely keep a person alive for 10,000 years, never mind someone from millions of years before. Ayianna was out in the snow for whatever reason. She obviously had an accident & ended up being frozen solid. No life signs were coming from her. So nobody would have had a clue she was there!
            Uh no. The only thing that makes sense as to how she was so well preserved is that she was in the stasis pod and when the ice shelf moved she got seperated. As to the gate still being at the Outpost we really have no idea if it was still there. Still I don't think that they put the drones there after they returned. They had none of their technology they lived as the humans that were there at that point in time.
            Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
            "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
            Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

I will bring up the point again. There is nothing saying that Atlantis wasn't still in contact with the MW Galaxy. They could have easily created the drones a million years ago and sent the blueprints back and had there outposts in the MW galaxy with them. The point of the outpost is likely to defend against the Ori should they ever find out where the Alterans went. The Alteran's just never planned on dieing out like they did.

Also I think Aiyana was an ascended ancient who retook human form. There for she was able to keep herself alive.

Comment

yeah i was a test bed for mini drones. nothing else. plus these drones were made to pwn anyone not an alteran (alteran gene). entirely new type as the old ones needs the chair dude to control them. these are auto

Comment

and they didnt have the ressources to retrofit it when they went back.
                  Huge assumption, the outpost was in mint condition when sg1 found it all they needed was new batteries which Lanteans would have had easily when they came back.

Just cause ppl cant imagine an answer dosent make it OMGPLOTHOLE

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
                    just cause ppl cant imagine an answer dosent make it OMGPLOTHOLE

People seem to assume that Atlantis had no contact with the MW galaxy at all. Why? No clue. Aiyana was likely left behind to man the outpost and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran View Post
                      The drones seem to have definitely been made in the Pegasus galaxy, that gives no indication of time. When Atlantis went to Pegasus it doesn't mean that it was the first time they ever stepped foot in that galaxy. That outpost could have outdated the Atlantis's inhabitance in the Pegasus galaxy, if they were at war when drones were invented it only makes sense to make their research facilities as remote as possible (especially if they could just dial in to get there).

Or, After Atlantis left Earth it doesn't mean that they didn't contact Earth again until they went back 10,000 years ago. The Antarctic Outpost could have been active and upgraded when the Ancients were in Pegasus. Even when they left if the ancients upgraded the chair to use drones they could have brought the entire stash of drones from Atlantis to stock the outpost in case of attack, explaining why Atlantis has only a couple dozen drones left.

When ever someone mentioned Lantian infantry i can probably assume we all thought they would carry rifles and grenades like more standard troops. If the ancients used these mini drones as weapons for infantry that would give a whole new perspective on Lantian infantry and ground based war time tactics. Imagine each soldier with a mini neural mini drone controller and a swarm of mini drones, instead of exploding on spot they penetrate and if needed they could carry an explosive charge. That would be revolutionary in war. I really hope that the writers would take this idea and run with it, because i think that this would be really original
                      Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

I doubt the Lantians had foot soldiers. It isn't really something you need when you have space ships. I know they have security guards like but I dunno about infantry. Who knows though.

Comment

I never thought they had soldiers... they would be safe behind their advanced shields, technology and starships so there was no need for soldiers especially for a race devoted to science. I would imagine that the mini-drones were developed when it became clear that they were being overrun by the Wraith and that no matter how advanced they were, the Wraith kept coming especially on the ground so it might have facilitated the need for smaller anti-personnel weapons. Or perhaps they developed these devices in order to help the Human civilizations against the Wraith as the Lanteans couldnt be everywhere.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

During this episode, Rodney assumed that this was the testing grounds for the first drones. I cant remember, but was there a direct reference to some data Rodney finds confirming this was the original test grounds? They also said Ancient scientists hid research from each other. That is why Harmony had a secret pendent/key. Could this research outpost be something different than the original drone outpost? Maybe they were making modifications to the drones, maybe personal drones instead of battleship drones like what we have already seen. I wish the writers could have elaborated this topic more.

Comment

i do agree with what some people have said about drones starting off as smaller ones that then became bigger, this could be for a number of reasons - they wanted to increase the yield of the drones so they were more affective against sheilds or bigger hive ships.

what could have happened though is the drone concept was created in the MW then carried on in the PG, when the smaller drones showed potential they went with it and made it bigger and better. also in rising when the city left the MW there were still ancients in the galaxy but were over run with a plague, perhaps the ancients in the PG kept in contact with people in the MW to see what happened about said plague - if they were in contact with the MW it could show why drones were latter found on earth.

either way things dont really add up and all we can assume is the time aspect of when drones were invented. personally in rising i think the drone that "someone" was working on seemed to be quite big which would discount it being a mini-drone.

Comment

perhaps it actually went the other way...

going on common sense and what we know about Technology in general, maybe the larger drones came first, they were installed in Atlantis, PJ's and the outposts around the galaxy (Like on earth) and then, after they had been using them for a while, The Ancients found a way to actually minaturise the technology creating the mini-drones.

i know for a fact that it's a lot easier to create technology that's large in mass, especially with weaponry, than it is to actually minaturize the technology and still have it have the same effectiveness.

thats how i understand it anyway, larger drones came first, the mini drones were experimental and never finished but were actually the second evolution of the drone weapon.

M

Click on the image to go to my fanfics.

Comment

Working...
                                X