The Return of Larrin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Opener View Post
    Oh, and someone from another galaxy who's under constant threat of death from life-sucking aliens is supposed to act like someone from Earth?
    Did anyone say that?

Comment

I thought that it was implied in what Jenks said. Besides, all we have to go on for saying how someone should logically react to something is our own experiences, and we didn't grow up on starships, nor were we under threat from an alien race.
      It's a dangerous business going out your front door.
      --J.R.R. Tolkien

Comment

I am jenks. I never said act like someone from Earth, I said act like a human being. Her reactions to being in control (badass) and not (12 year old girl) are so exaggerated that she just isn't believable as a character, not unless there's something wrong with her.

Comment

Whatever the Travelers are, whatever Larrin is, Sheppard has to deal with them. They have technology that he has never seen before and they have knowledge about Pegasus. The travelers can be allies in the fight against the Wraith. They are an enigma. We/Sheppard/Atlantis doesn’t really understand their motivation for joining the fight against the replicators, but they did and a continuing alliance with them is in their best interest.

It falls to Sheppard to maintain and develop the alliance with the Travelers and, for now, that means getting along with Larrin. But Larrin is playing him. My guess is he knows that she is playing him; he just isn’t sure why or how to handle her. She may be attractive, but he’s not stupid and he’s not Kirk. He is treading a mine field where she’s concerned. He doesn’t understand her motivation; he doesn’t understand much of anything about her. He clearly has the good sense to be wary (afraid) of her. It is Sheppard’s uncertainty and confusion warring with his usual self confidence (cockiness?) and the imperative of the situation that keeps him off balance and gives his reactions to Larrin so much texture and humor. Where others see him acting juvenilely, I see him acting entirely appropriately for the situation and his history with Larrin (this is being (over) played for humor). He is reacting to Larrin’s illogical actions. Sheppard has not acted inappropriately or unprofessionally around her, (except, maybe, for the kiss, but that’s a subject for another place)

The depiction of the Travelers, undeniably, has flaws, but, I think, which are bothersome is dependent on the viewer’s perspective. Larrin is so over the top that it has to be intentional. We don’t know her. I think she has to be accepted for now and trust/hope TPTB add more balance to her character next season.

So… I’m curious. I’m intrigued. I have no idea where TPTB are taking the Travelers. I hope we learn more about them and I hope that they play a significant role in S5. And, yes, that means I want to learn more about and see more of Larrin, especially, Sheppard trying to figure out how to deal with her. JF plays it so well.
          Last edited by blue-skyz; 17 January 2008, 04:52 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X