This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
    what's wrong with standing up for your people?
    I think it was more of Carter standing up for herself.

Ellis was insulting Carter's command by reprimanding McKay in that briefing, in front of ANOTHER Colonel (Caldwell), McKay and Shep, and Carter being there.

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

I'm seeing a lot of comments about the replicators ships not fighting as hard as they could have. The Aurora class ships are 10k years old. They can't be top of the line forever. The replicators are able to "replicate" the Aurora class ships exactly as they were built 10k years ago, but I doubt they added any upgrades to those vessels. Now the Earth battle cruisers have Asguard weaponry they are superior in firepower against the Aurora class.

The Asguards have been around until recent events and they have been pushing their technology for 10k years after the Ancients have stopped advancing. Asguard weapons should be better than the Ancients'. They had 10k years to surpass them!

As for the other ships, I agree that there should have been more allied ships lost fighting the Auroras. From what I saw, one hive and one Traveler vessel was destroyed. More should have gone down to make the fight more believable. Also, I'm glad that none of the Earth ships were lost. Earth only have 3! They need a chance to build a fleet and can't afford losses right now.

The only explanation I could come up with to justify the replicators poor fighting tactics is perhaps the Auroras were short on supplies considering they were hard at work building more ships. It's also possible that they were undermanned.

Why didn't the replicators detect the fleet coming? Good question. I have no idea ...

Finally, I think the Weir introduced at the end is evil. Based on the way shows are written, you don't introduce good characters at the end of the show before fading to black unless you want to reveal that they survived an ordeal. Hence they're not really being introduced. Movie writers always introduce evil characters along with their one liners, which is exactly what happened at the end of this episode. I’d say 9/10 that Weir character shown was evil. Whether she is the original Weir gone bad by the nanites in her system, or a full replicated copy, she's definitely evil. She may not know that yet, because I believe she's part of the group seeking ascension, but one way or the other she's going to do bad things in her attempts to find the answers to ascension.

She’s going to be far more dangerous than Oberoth’s group simply because she knows the Atlantis group very well, thus she’s going to be able to take advantage of their weaknesses for some time to come.

Comment

Originally posted by justhere1971 View Post
        How many people actually pay close attention to the credits? Beginning or the end. It would've been respectful to Torri to have her name on the credits. Then again, maybe I expect too much. They did take her out of the opening credits in the very first episode after all.
        so? what's the big deal? the opening credits are for regular characters, she's a recurring character in s4 thus doesn't need to be in those credits

Originally posted by Integrabyte View Post
        I could ask you the same thing
        lol yeah you're right

Originally posted by morjana View Post
        I think it was more of Carter standing up for herself.

Ellis was insulting Carter's command by reprimanding McKay in that briefing, in front of ANOTHER Colonel (Caldwell), McKay and Shep, and Carter being there.

Morjana
        you're certainly right, it wasn't just about how he addressed Rodney. it's Carter's command and by talking like that to him Ellis automatically insulted her too. I thought it was a well done scene and showed what kind of a leader she is
        sigpic
        The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

I think it shows Sams secret and supressed feelings for rodney

Comment

Originally posted by ZampraZ View Post
            I think it shows Sams secret and supressed feelings for rodney
            lol I really hope you're not serious
            sigpic

Comment

so? what's the big deal? the opening credits are for regular characters, she's a recurring character in s4 thus doesn't need to be in those credits
              If I'm not mistaken, Carter is (was) also recurring.

But I think she meant it like when Rainbow got replaced with Jason in season 2. That didn't happen until the 4th episode. The opening credits from season 1 continued until Runner, and then changed bringing Jason and Paul into the credits. So, if they had followed the same like. Torri would have been in the opening credits until Lifeline, and they would have changed with Sateda's sequel ... Reunion.
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

what's wrong with standing up for your people?
                That's what you got out of my post? Huh.

Ellis isn't allowed to be a likable character because he falls into the same class as Woolsey. He's supposed to play the jerk so Carter (and previously Weir) can look important by chewing him out in defense of her ideals, her people or her city -- whichever fits the episode.

It's the sheer predictablilty and overuse of the plot devise that makes the scene bad. IMO it would be better to let the leader behave like a leader, as in taking charge of the situation before the meeting devolved into name calling, rather than setting up Ellis as the stooge for Carter to reprimand.

Comment

On Ellis, I like the character. He represents how the military really is imo. The military isn't filled with passive people that always agree with the style of scientists and other non-combatants. In fact, the military and science divisions usually clash on methodologies and Ellis is there to show that.

Before Ellis came on the show Cadwell used to be the "what the heck are you doing now?" kind of guy and before him was Colonel Everett. It seems like the writers passed that attitude on to Ellis and sooner or later they're going to pass that on to a newcomer once Ellis gets comfortable with the Atlantis group. You need people like that to make the show more believable.

Oh, let's not forget that Ellis gave credit to Rodney at the end of the episode. This shows that he can and will give credit when credit is due.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                    Nope, she was a regular. She just wasn't the leader of Atlantis, yet.

But I think she meant it like when Rainbow got replaced with Jason in season 2. That didn't happen until the 4th episode. The opening credits from season 1 continued until Runner, and then changed bringing Jason and Paul into the credits. So, if they had followed the same like. Torri would have been in the opening credits until Lifeline, and they would have changed with Sateda's sequel ... Reunion.

I had a logical explanation for that, but I'll only go into it if people want me to.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                      Nope, she was a regular. She just wasn't the leader of Atlantis, yet.
                      On the whole, not just in those two episodes. That's how her part on SGA started, recurring, which turned into regular rather quickly.
                      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Carter was a guest character in s1-3, she's a regular now

oh ok I guess I misread the post

Originally posted by Cautious Explorer View Post
                        sry

Ellis isn't allowed to be a likable character because he falls into the same class as Woolsey. He's supposed to play the jerk so Carter (and previously Weir) can look important by chewing him out in defense of her ideals, her people or her city -- whichever fits the episode.
                        agreed

It's the sheer predictablilty and overuse of the plot devise that makes the scene bad.
                        I didn't find it predictable. I knew it would happen but only because of certain spoilers

IMO it would be better to let the leader behave like a leader, as in taking charge of the situation before the meeting devolved into name calling, rather than setting up Ellis as the stooge for Carter to reprimand.
                        that's another way to approach the scene and I would've liked it too but it worked out just fine imo
                        sigpic

Comment

It's the sheer predictablilty and overuse of the plot devise that makes the scene bad. IMO it would be better to let the leader behave like a leader, as in taking charge of the situation before the meeting devolved into name calling, rather than setting up Ellis as the stooge for Carter to reprimand.
                          Well, really, if Mckay did have nothing to show, which, judging from the conversation, he didn't, then he should have said so. After all, he was briefing two experienced military colonels who wanted to get the job done. And I think Carter should have initiated the briefing with what they knew.
                          Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
                          encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
                          3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
                          4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
                          5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper View Post
                            Well, really, if Mckay did have nothing to show, which, judging from the conversation, he didn't, then he should have said so. After all, he was briefing two experienced military colonels who wanted to get the job done. And I think Carter should have initiated the briefing with what they knew.
                            Exactly. McKay had nothing to show. Carter should have been aware of that. She should have called a halt to McKay's rambling rather than make Caldwell, Sheppard and Ellis sit there listening for no reason. She made no effort to cut McKay off until after Ellis lost all patience with McKay. Carter handled the whole thing badly IMO.

Comment

You're mistaken. She was brought in as a series regular. Some fans believed she was coming in as a recurring character because TPTB said her character would be supporting the team but that's it.

How long a character is in an episode or their role in that episode doesn't negate from their contractual status.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by Über View Post
                                You're mistaken. She was brought in as a series regular. Some fans believed she was coming in as a recurring character because TPTB said her character would be supporting the team but that's it.

How long a character is in an episode or their role in that episode doesn't negate from their contractual status.
                                Correction- they believed she was recurring because one of tptb said she was coming over as a recurring character.
                                Spoiler:
                                I don't remember which one- it might have been RCC or BradW, some interview
                                Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
                                encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
                                3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
                                4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
                                5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Working...
                                X